Florida wrenching & mods - Ford Bronco Forum
 16Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 628 (permalink) Old 10-07-2015, 05:32 PM Thread Starter

Bronco Info: 1987 Ford Bronco XLT 302 w/AOD 32 x 11.5 BFG MT's k&n filter
Florida wrenching & mods

I have an engine hoist reserved for this Saturday, if anyone can help out I would appreciate it...especially if you have done an oil pan and gasket replacement on the 302..

I am also changing oil pump and pickup tube,etc...thanks..

i am on gulf coast near Weeki Wachi...

"I never met a fish I didn't like. "
digger159
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 628 (permalink) Old 10-08-2015, 08:28 AM
Charlie doesn't surf!!

Bronco Info: 1992 xlt, 351EFI, .040, E4OD, D44 SAS w/Trutrac,Detroit locked 8.8, MAF conv, Tweeced
Garage
sounds like a good time..if I was closer I'd be there and I'd lend you my hoist...it's just sitting in my shed..

are you planning to pull the engine, or are you just lifting it up to get the new gasket in? when I did mine, I disconnected the exhaust, pulled the upper intake and after loosening the motor mounts was able to raise it enough to drop the pan..
post #3 of 628 (permalink) Old 10-08-2015, 09:28 AM Thread Starter

yeah i am hoisting it up and keeping it in the truck...not looking forward to this job, but the leaking is driving me nuts...

i cant believe i read in some threads where guys jacked the truck's engine up with a wooden block between the jack and the oil pan instead of hoisting it...i mean if the old oil pan crushes, no biggy, but after the job is done i wouldnt want to bang up the new pan and gasket...

digger159

post #4 of 628 (permalink) Old 10-08-2015, 10:10 AM
Charlie doesn't surf!!

Bronco Info: 1992 xlt, 351EFI, .040, E4OD, D44 SAS w/Trutrac,Detroit locked 8.8, MAF conv, Tweeced
Garage
Trust me, I know what you mean about leaks...I can't stand them either..

when I did mine, I was replacing the pan as well, but I jacked on the front of the tranny, not the pan..

post #5 of 628 (permalink) Old 10-08-2015, 11:03 AM Thread Starter

wow, i didnt think...if i hoist the engine instead of jacking it up, i will probably have to remove the hood...huh?....

so you jacked it up and had no issues...??...dang wish i had someone helping me do this that has done this before...

digger159
post #6 of 628 (permalink) Old 10-08-2015, 11:10 AM
Charlie doesn't surf!!

Garage
pulling the hood would make it easier, but you can still do it..

yes, I jacked it up with know issues..once everything I listed above was out there was plenty of clearance as you can see in the picture.

I did have to cut my exhaust. not a big deal since I used one of those couplers when I put everything back..

You're a pretty smart guy..you should be able to figure it out..
post #7 of 628 (permalink) Old 10-08-2015, 01:46 PM Thread Starter

one more question...i am using a fel-pro premium rubber gasket with the steel reinforcements, etc...it says no sealant with gasket instructions...the Haynes manual and the two online repair programs i have say use a thin bead...what did you use , and has it held up ???

digger159
post #8 of 628 (permalink) Old 10-08-2015, 01:49 PM
Charlie doesn't surf!!

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by digger159 View Post
one more question...i am using a fel-pro premium rubber gasket with the steel reinforcements, etc...it says no sealant with gasket instructions...the Haynes manual and the two online repair programs i have say use a thin bead...what did you use , and has it held up ???
yes, without a doubt use sealant..you don't need to glop it on but make sure you put down a decent bead all the way around, especially in the corners and where the timing cover meets the pan.

learned the hard way and didn't use enough when I did my rebuild so I had a small leak..
post #9 of 628 (permalink) Old 10-08-2015, 03:25 PM

Bronco Info: 1994 Bronco 5.0 liter e4od factory MAF, 130 amp 3g, auxillary transmission filter and cooler.
Quote:
yeah i am hoisting it up and keeping it in the truck...not looking forward to this job, but the leaking is driving me nuts...

i cant believe i read in some threads where guys jacked the truck's engine up with a wooden block between the jack and the oil pan instead of hoisting it...i mean if the old oil pan crushes, no biggy, but after the job is done i wouldnt want to bang up the new pan and gasket...
Ive done it both ways, they both work. I heard getting the pan out is an even bigger headache. I just dropped the pan to the crossmember and changed the gasket.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jermil01 View Post
Trust me, I know what you mean about leaks...I can't stand them either..

when I did mine, I was replacing the pan as well, but I jacked on the front of the tranny, not the pan..

Don't jack it up by the trans, there will be more leverage and more force being applied if you jack it up there. Plus the aluminum will crack if it can't handle the weight, then you're hosed. At least the pan will bend first.
Quote:
wow, i didnt think...if i hoist the engine instead of jacking it up, i will probably have to remove the hood...huh?....

so you jacked it up and had no issues...??...dang wish i had someone helping me do this that has done this before...
No, hood can stay on. A load leveler and tie downs to attach to both sides of the engine helps.
Quote:
I used a little RTV in the corners, none anywhere else. IME as long as the gasket material is in good shape you only need sealant in the corners/crevices where there may be gaps. The dodge had a reusuable gasket and I just put it back on with some RTV in key places where the gasket was torn a bit, no leaks.

My Youtube: http://www.youtube.com/user/pfun41#p/a
The going get tough, the tough get debt
Don't pay attention, pay the rent
Next of kins pay for your sins
A little faith should keep us safe
post #10 of 628 (permalink) Old 10-08-2015, 03:42 PM
Charlie doesn't surf!!

Garage
maybe I jacked on the spot between the tranny and the pan..either way, I didn't have any problems..

If he's replacing the pump and pickup the pan is going to need to come out..
post #11 of 628 (permalink) Old 10-08-2015, 07:48 PM
Erik

Bronco Info: '89 Bronco-D60/10.25,5:13's,16.5's,39.5iroks.'85 F350 12V.
I only used rtv in the corners with my rubber gasket. And I jacked up from the oil pan no problem, just used a wide block of wood to disperse the weight. If I was in Florida currently I'd help, even have a crane just sitting. Just take your time, and you'll be fine. I've now done the removing oil pan in truck method and pulled the whole engine. I'll never do an oil pan gasket in the truck again. While it wasn't as terrible as some make it seem pulling the engine was certainly a lot easier.
post #12 of 628 (permalink) Old 10-11-2015, 10:57 AM Thread Starter

Well as they say, all good things must come to an end...after spending one whole day working on getting the dang pan out, I pulled it away from the motor to discover a black burnt p.o.s....when i took the plenum off, there was black burnt oil caked inside the intake ports...both motor mounts were busted...

After 2 days of working on the truck and staring at it...then fiddling with it then sitting and staring again, I came to the decision to get rid of it.

Jeremy made a very true statement awhile back...."you have to pay to play"...I have reached a limit where, between what I lack in physical ability and financial drain stops me from being able to keep up anymore. In just a few months I pay my dues at the first of the year for my real estate business to begin and then the money bleeds in a new direction. I aint got enough bandages and first aid cream...something had to give.

That being said, I will be posting it here as "parting out" but I have it right now on cl for $1000 before parting to take as a project truck...

Sorry guys...I had a blast ...

digger159
post #13 of 628 (permalink) Old 10-11-2015, 07:10 PM

Bronco Info: 1994 Bronco 5.0 liter e4od factory MAF, 130 amp 3g, auxillary transmission filter and cooler.
Quote:
Well as they say, all good things must come to an end...after spending one whole day working on getting the dang pan out, I pulled it away from the motor to discover a black burnt p.o.s....when i took the plenum off, there was black burnt oil caked inside the intake ports...both motor mounts were busted...

After 2 days of working on the truck and staring at it...then fiddling with it then sitting and staring again, I came to the decision to get rid of it.

Jeremy made a very true statement awhile back...."you have to pay to play"...I have reached a limit where, between what I lack in physical ability and financial drain stops me from being able to keep up anymore. In just a few months I pay my dues at the first of the year for my real estate business to begin and then the money bleeds in a new direction. I aint got enough bandages and first aid cream...something had to give.

That being said, I will be posting it here as "parting out" but I have it right now on cl for $1000 before parting to take as a project truck...

Sorry guys...I had a blast ...
That's it? Really? You give up that easy? I've run my 5.0 out of oil, overheated,submerged it and tow 4k on a weekly basis and it keeps going. Your engine's been used and abused for the last 30 years, of course there's black crap caked to the inside. You have to dig that shit out by hand when it's that bad. It's a Mother****ing 5.0 not a BMW I6, If it's got oil pressure and compression clean it out button it back up and run it till it blows smoke, it will take another 5 years to get to that point.The inside of my engine has black shit baked to it, hell all but the most pristine ones do.

post #14 of 628 (permalink) Old 10-11-2015, 07:31 PM
September 15 FOTM

Bronco Info: 1992 F-250 custom, 7.3 idi N/A, zf5, 4x4
Garage
My engine was all black and burnt, if it still runs fine keep running it!

My back window motor pins broke. I bought new pins but they are to big. Does the rear motor have special pins?

1995 red xlt sport! with 351
post #15 of 628 (permalink) Old 10-11-2015, 07:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ANGELO View Post
My engine was all black and burnt, if it still runs fine keep running it!

My back window motor pins broke. I bought new pins but they are to big. Does the rear motor have special pins?
No,the Rear window motor is just a left hand window motor. The pins aren't always the exact right size though. Ive had to cram more than one set into a motor. Put a tiny bit of oil on them and they'll go in easier.

post #16 of 628 (permalink) Old 10-11-2015, 07:58 PM
September 15 FOTM

Bronco Info: 1992 F-250 custom, 7.3 idi N/A, zf5, 4x4
Garage
The same brand pins were fine on the passanger side... I think I have to sand them.

But other then the motor mounts what's wrong with it

1995 red xlt sport! with 351
post #17 of 628 (permalink) Old 10-11-2015, 10:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ANGELO View Post
The same brand pins were fine on the passanger side... I think I have to sand them.

But other then the motor mounts what's wrong with it
IIRC it was burning oil. Probably has carbon caked in the intake and sludge in the pan. Not surprising, stuff is hard to get out once it gets there.

post #18 of 628 (permalink) Old 10-12-2015, 07:07 AM Thread Starter

easier said when you are 20 something then when you are....err....older. I wish i had just one set of hands to help...but i am pulling the ad to part out for now...gonna go stare at the truck today...

the first problem i face is getting the oil pan back under the motor...i have it up on 4x4 blocks and it still wont go under with the oil pump on...and i cant get the oil pump on with the drive rod,etc. when the pan is on first....

i cant safely get the motor up any higher without getting the hoist i decided against to go the way of jacking the motor up.

tired and frustrated...
dash_cam likes this.

digger159
post #19 of 628 (permalink) Old 10-12-2015, 08:33 AM

Quote:
easier said when you are 20 something then when you are....err....older. I wish i had just one set of hands to help...but i am pulling the ad to part out for now...gonna go stare at the truck today...

the first problem i face is getting the oil pan back under the motor...i have it up on 4x4 blocks and it still wont go under with the oil pump on...and i cant get the oil pump on with the drive rod,etc. when the pan is on first....

i cant safely get the motor up any higher without getting the hoist i decided against to go the way of jacking the motor up.

tired and frustrated...
Might be time to get the hoist then, no other safe way to lift it now that the pan is off. It won't fit with just the oil pump without the pickup tube installed?

post #20 of 628 (permalink) Old 10-12-2015, 08:42 AM
Charlie doesn't surf!!

Garage
Tired and frustrated, been there done that..Come one Frank, can't be that bad. If the truck isn't your DD, take a step back for a minute and give yourself some time to decide what you want to do..busted motor mounts and a caked up intake aren't that big of a deal. $1000 is giving that truck away..If I counted the # of times I was ready to toss in the towel on my rig I'd have given up on it years ago...my wife probably wishes I did..

From what I remember your truck sounded like it was fine when we were down at Hard Rock..no funny noises or billowing clouds of smoke, so there is plenty of life left in that motor...if not, put it up until you can score another motor or do a rebuild..

If you don't want to screw with it any more, you can probably find a mobile mechanic who will come to your house and button everything up for you.

hope you change you mind, but you have to do what's right for you..would hate to think we won't see you on any more rides..the Florida FSB crew just wouldn't be the same...

Ford Bronco Forum > Wheeling > Dixie Chapter

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Bronco Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself. DO NOT USE Gmail.com accounts. If you only have a Gmail.com email please contact the administrator here

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode