Putting the feelers out for Oregon....... Possibly moving - Ford Bronco Forum
 17Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 34 (permalink) Old 06-13-2016, 02:58 PM Thread Starter
Fullsize Member

Bronco Info: 1992 XLT , 5.8, E40D
Garage
Putting the feelers out for Oregon....... Possibly moving

Got a son in Tigard, Oregon. Has a baby on the way. Wifey is hinting she would like to be closer to him and the baby. So, here I go into trying to gather some information about Oregon and Tigard. Don't have to necessarily live in Tigard. Surrounding areas are fine by us.

Anyone have any pros and cons about the state?

Let me know.. Thanks.

1992 XLT, 5.8 w/ E40D transmission, TTB D44 in front, 8.8 rear, 4.88 gears w/ Eaton Posi, Gibson exhaust/headers,cb radio, 4" suspension lift, 33x12.5's on 8" Pro Comp wheels.

http://www.supermotors.net/registry/27670/85749
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 34 (permalink) Old 06-13-2016, 03:12 PM

Bronco Info: 96 5.8 4x4 2 inch lift springs up front, 33 inch Toyo Open Country MT
Its better that Kamifornia LOL Id love to move out of this state... anywho Portland is a nice area, I had a friend who lived in Eugene he liked it there as well

White 1996 Bronco 5.8 4X4 2inch lift springs up front, sitting on 33x12.5x15 Toyo Open Country M/T's with 15x10 Method Double Standards
120 inches of LED light bar good for 100,000 lumens!!
post #3 of 34 (permalink) Old 06-13-2016, 03:25 PM Thread Starter
Fullsize Member

Garage
We visited the state last summer. Loved it.. Not sure if I like a lot of the "blue" that state has in regards to politics, but, I don't think it's that much different than Cali. Got yelled at twice for pumping my own gas though. lol

1992 XLT, 5.8 w/ E40D transmission, TTB D44 in front, 8.8 rear, 4.88 gears w/ Eaton Posi, Gibson exhaust/headers,cb radio, 4" suspension lift, 33x12.5's on 8" Pro Comp wheels.

post #4 of 34 (permalink) Old 06-13-2016, 04:00 PM
House of Windsor 4ever!

Bronco Info: 79 Ranchero GT/97 Eddie Bauer Exploder 5.0 AWD
Garage
The Pacific Northwest has some of the most green natural beauty (stop scoffing, I'm not talking about pot), and the greater Portland area, say within 100 miles, have some very beautiful places.

[Silver70] In 100 years, when astronauts visit the landing site, they'll stumble upon the little FSB rover with a busted driveshaft, twisted up on a moon-rock flexing the SAS, and think, "Man... those things can go anywhere. Screw Jeep."
post #5 of 34 (permalink) Old 06-13-2016, 06:10 PM

Bronco Info: 1996 Silver and Blue Superlift 6" on 37's
If you like hipsters and being taxed to hell, live in Portland. If you like the country... look out towards Newberg, McMinnville, Yamhill (to the south) or Estacada to the east.

house prices in Portland, Tigard, Hillsboro, Beaverton, etc are way over priced.

I live in Newberg myself. Small enough to feel like a small town but close enough to Portland to get a high-tech job.
B-man likes this.

1996 XLT
Superlift 6", Custom Dents, Andy's Rocker guards, Extended radius arms, 35" Cepek Mountain Cats - soon to be parted

1996 XL 302/M5R2/BW1356/bottom base model
post #6 of 34 (permalink) Old 06-13-2016, 07:32 PM
House of Windsor 4ever!

Bronco Info: 79 Ranchero GT/97 Eddie Bauer Exploder 5.0 AWD
Garage
A lot of people are moving directly West up the US 26 and 30 highway corridors. Paul Gill (Gillamonster on here) lives something like 20+ miles east of Seaside right off of US 26, and except for the Winter months, is just a hop, skip and a jump from downtown Portland. The farmlands between Veronia and McMinnville can be called "God's Country." If wishes were dollars, I' d consider living somewhere around those areas.

[Silver70] In 100 years, when astronauts visit the landing site, they'll stumble upon the little FSB rover with a busted driveshaft, twisted up on a moon-rock flexing the SAS, and think, "Man... those things can go anywhere. Screw Jeep."
post #7 of 34 (permalink) Old 06-14-2016, 12:42 AM
Retiring Soon

Bronco Info: '95 XLT, 5.8/E4OD/MassAir/6" lift/4.56's/35x12.5 BFG AT-KO2
Garage
it's beautiful... but wetter than Seattle. Lived down there for many years, from Beaverton, OR to Kalama, WA (just south of Longview).
Lots of family down there too... but mostly north Portland hell raisers. most of them jailed, shot or OD'd but the survivors are just damn tired anymore.

you can find just about any type of living you like... from the "keep Portland weird" crowd to some damn near redneck spots.
it is a beautiful area though and there's almost always something going on within' a days drive.
B-man and DenverBronco85 like this.

"When life throws you a curve... LEAN INTO IT!"

SuperMotors - Since 2002
post #8 of 34 (permalink) Old 06-14-2016, 01:07 AM Thread Starter
Fullsize Member

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Decker View Post
If you like hipsters and being taxed to hell, live in Portland. If you like the country... look out towards Newberg, McMinnville, Yamhill (to the south) or Estacada to the east.

house prices in Portland, Tigard, Hillsboro, Beaverton, etc are way over priced.

I live in Newberg myself. Small enough to feel like a small town but close enough to Portland to get a high-tech job.

Small town and close enough to a high tech job, or any job, is what I am looking for. I am country kind of guy. A hick, if you will. I would rather live in a small town than anything else.
mrbollero likes this.

post #9 of 34 (permalink) Old 06-14-2016, 12:08 PM

What do you do for a living?

Woodburn is smallish town living right on I-5, half way between Portland and Salem.

Intel is in Hillsboro, but good luck getting a job there if you aren't a recent college grad willing to work for $50K a year. (or an H1B)

My commute to Intel from Newberg was ~45 mins each way over farm roads when I worked at their facilities.

1996 XLT
Superlift 6", Custom Dents, Andy's Rocker guards, Extended radius arms, 35" Cepek Mountain Cats - soon to be parted

post #10 of 34 (permalink) Old 06-14-2016, 02:05 PM
I ♥ TTB

Bronco Info: 89 lifted a smidge
I grew up in Eugene area (a couple hours south of Portland) I lived about 20 minutes out of town, lots of great country living for less money that in town. I'm not sure about the Portland area, I avoid it like the plague.
I have lived in central Oregon for the last 3 years and love it... Again about 20 minutes out of town in the country... More high desert climate though, I love it way better than the wet Willamette Valley though... And about 3 hours from Portland as well.

Good luck
DenverBronco85 likes this.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Broncogirl89 View Post
Well try snatch next time.
-In Heaven you get love and peace.

In Hell you get to party with Pirates and Ninjas.
post #11 of 34 (permalink) Old 06-14-2016, 03:01 PM

Bronco Info: '79 Custom
I would give a left nut to move to coastal Oregon, but I have a few issues with doing so.
  • First, I am a conservative, and just like California, the whole state is being ruined by a few liberal cities that push their views on the rest of the state
  • They generally hate Californians as a rule, they don't like us and they don't want us there
  • Work, there isn't much of it in my field

Other than those three things, I would move there in a heartbeat. It is beautiful, there is water everywhere (I am from SoCal) and the country is like 5 feet outside your door. I also like southern Oregon too.

Pwalli (Paul)
1995 BMW 540i
'79 SHTF Daily Build
1997 Toyota 4Runner (locked)
post #12 of 34 (permalink) Old 06-14-2016, 03:26 PM Thread Starter
Fullsize Member

Garage
Quote:
What do you do for a living?

Woodburn is smallish town living right on I-5, half way between Portland and Salem.

Intel is in Hillsboro, but good luck getting a job there if you aren't a recent college grad willing to work for $50K a year. (or an H1B)

My commute to Intel from Newberg was ~45 mins each way over farm roads when I worked at their facilities.
I install phone/data cabling. Can also install coax cabling for cable tv and such. Managed telecommunications techs and our warehouse here in Cali.. So, I would be looking for work in that field. But, I will wait tables, dig ditches, whatever it takes to get work.

We have some equity out here in our current home. Hoping the housing prices will raise more when we are ready to make a move. Looking at the housing around Oregon areas, and seeing the prices for a nice home about equivalent to what I paid for a POS shack in here Calif, makes me wanna puke. LOL

Quote:
Originally Posted by Weber View Post
I grew up in Eugene area (a couple hours south of Portland) I lived about 20 minutes out of town, lots of great country living for less money that in town. I'm not sure about the Portland area, I avoid it like the plague.
I have lived in central Oregon for the last 3 years and love it... Again about 20 minutes out of town in the country... More high desert climate though, I love it way better than the wet Willamette Valley though... And about 3 hours from Portland as well.

Good luck
I am fine with being that far away from the city.. Prefer the country any day of the week. Biggest change will be the weather. My son is all for it right now.. But, I told him " give it a while with the weather, it's nothing like here. ". lol

Quote:
Originally Posted by marshallnoise View Post
I would give a left nut to move to coastal Oregon, but I have a few issues with doing so.
  • First, I am a conservative, and just like California, the whole state is being ruined by a few liberal cities that push their views on the rest of the state
  • They generally hate Californians as a rule, they don't like us and they don't want us there
  • Work, there isn't much of it in my field

Other than those three things, I would move there in a heartbeat. It is beautiful, there is water everywhere (I am from SoCal) and the country is like 5 feet outside your door. I also like southern Oregon too.

Well, lol, Oregon may have to get used to more Californians moving up there. lol.. There are still some conservatives or just folk, (like me) that don't buy into the libtard nonsense that goes on in Calif. It's gonna be like that almost everywhere, in every state nowadays. Not gonna be able to escape that too much..

Thanks for all the advice and information.. Appreciate... This journey has just begun.

post #13 of 34 (permalink) Old 06-14-2016, 03:30 PM

I've lived here my whole life. If I had no family I'd move to a less populated area. I live in a town with about 4k people (I don't live in Salem). I'm not going to make it sound like the greatest place to live...because it isn't. I'd much rather live somewhere tropical with nothing but classic Fords.

1989 Bronco
post #14 of 34 (permalink) Old 06-14-2016, 03:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hagan View Post
Pro's; Not California

Cons; Californian's are moving here
Ha!

Pwalli (Paul)
1995 BMW 540i
'79 SHTF Daily Build
post #15 of 34 (permalink) Old 06-14-2016, 03:51 PM Thread Starter
Fullsize Member

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by marshallnoise View Post
Ha!
Hahhaaha.. Touche

Well,

Just like there were two types of Texans when I was gonna move there, and they didn't like Californians either. I fit in just fine with them. lol

And, Just like I am sure not all the folk in Oregon are libtards.. lol.. Not all the folk in Cali are morons either.. lol..

post #16 of 34 (permalink) Old 06-14-2016, 03:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by B-man View Post
Hahhaaha.. Touche

Well,

Just like there were two types of Texans when I was gonna move there, and they didn't like Californians either. I fit in just fine with them. lol

And, Just like I am sure not all the folk in Oregon are libtards.. lol.. Not all the folk in Cali are morons either.. lol..
Yeah, most of the California, geographicly, is not retarded.
B-man likes this.

Pwalli (Paul)
1995 BMW 540i
'79 SHTF Daily Build
post #17 of 34 (permalink) Old 06-14-2016, 04:07 PM
FSM Lifetime

Bronco Info: 1978 Round headlight, 351M,C6, 9", 44/1991, 445 FE, t19, 205, Dana 60/70, MAF, Moet's
Garage
No place politically could be worse than Ill- noise, Obama land other than maybe Missouri.
post #18 of 34 (permalink) Old 06-14-2016, 05:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by B-man View Post
Hahhaaha.. Touche

Well,

True! I just think there's too many damn people! Lol

1989 Bronco
post #19 of 34 (permalink) Old 06-14-2016, 05:15 PM

Most structured cabling is ruled by the local IBEW chapter. I worked for BlackBox Network Services, but didn't pull cable. I'm a network engineer, so I worked closely with the cable monkeys, while it wasn't the highest paying job it was pretty stable. Might get you enough to get by until you find something better. I think most of the recruiting is through the union hall.

1996 XLT

post #20 of 34 (permalink) Old 06-14-2016, 06:36 PM Thread Starter
Fullsize Member

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hagan View Post
True! I just think there's too many damn people! Lol
Tell me about it. Friggin 4 million people in Los Angeles county.. lol

Quote:
Most structured cabling is ruled by the local IBEW chapter. I worked for BlackBox Network Services, but didn't pull cable. I'm a network engineer, so I worked closely with the cable monkeys, while it wasn't the highest paying job it was pretty stable. Might get you enough to get by until you find something better. I think most of the recruiting is through the union hall.
Damn,, Not what I wanted to read, but, oh well, is what it is.. I have about 6 more months before this gets serious, so, I will keep making inquiries and possibly get some numbers to the IBEW up there and see if I can join..

Ford Bronco Forum > Wheeling > Pacific Northwest Chapter

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Bronco Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself. DO NOT USE Gmail.com accounts. If you only have a Gmail.com email please contact the administrator here

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode