Moving to Alaska next summer, want to bring my one and only. Wise decision? - Ford Bronco Forum
 3Likes
  • 1 Post By JKossarides
  • 2 Post By Auminer

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 14 (permalink) Old 09-27-2016, 02:19 PM Thread Starter

Bronco Info: 1986 Bronco XLT, 5.0
Moving to Alaska next summer, want to bring my one and only. Wise decision?

Not sure if this is the right thread, but here goes.

I have a 1986 XLT, and am moving across the country from Florida back to my homeland of Alaska next year for my career. I've never been attached to a vehicle like this before. Other than paint bubbling in some places and rust on the tailgate, she's rust-free and in great shape. She has a newer motor (302, 47k), and the factory AOD shifts like a hot knife through butter.

Thing is, it costs around $2.5-3k to ship her, because I'm not driving her all the way (no AlCan for me, thanks). I've thought about driving her to Washington and shipping her from there; haven't decided on that yet. But, if I sell her down here, I *might* get $7k for her. There's no way I'm not having a Bronco in my life, so by the time I get there and buy another solid one for $5-7k, I really wouldn't be that far ahead.

I understand it may not be the wisest decision to bring her, but I love her. I really want to fully restore her and keep her for a long time. That being said, I'm open to suggestions on how to approach this. I figured I'd ask the community their opinion and give it some more thought. So any suggestions anyone may have would be well-received. Thanks in advance.

Pictures of her if you're interested: 1986 Bronco XLT - Album on Imgur

1986 XLT, 5.0, 4X4 manual locking hubs, AOD, 4in lift, 31s

Nemo me impune lacessit
-None attacks me with impunity
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 14 (permalink) Old 09-27-2016, 02:34 PM

Bronco Info: 96 M5OD 5.0 XL all stock 221xxx manual everything
Why no AlCan?

Do NOT tread on me.
'73 f250 401FE in the works np435/205~~~~~ 96FSB, 302, 5spd, manual BW1356/hubs
post #3 of 14 (permalink) Old 09-27-2016, 02:43 PM
Resident Nice Guy

Bronco Info: 1979 Ranger XLT, 351m, 4 speed
Garage
If you dig it and if funds permit, I vote you keep it. The cost of shipping is a tough nut to crack though. How much would it cost if you drove it to WA and then shipped it from there?

For the money you stated in shipping alone, you can get some pretty nifty examples, according to Craigslist-Anchorage:

Lifted '86 fullsize bronco

1978 bronco

Just took a quick fly through one locale. I'm sure there's others listed but my point is only that you may be able to find something else you love for less than you'd have invested in getting the current one over and maybe even make some money on the deal when you take the sale of your current Bronco into account.

This is my signature. There are many like it, but this one is mine.
My signature is my best friend. It is my life. I must master it as I must master my life.

Schwim! A social site with an identity crisis.

post #4 of 14 (permalink) Old 09-27-2016, 02:50 PM Thread Starter

Mountain, too much extra time on the trip, honestly. I'd love to be able to do it one day, but I can't on this trip. I can't be out of work for real long.

Schwim, my brother has done the same thing. He's sent me a couple craigslist ads. I'm still sort of on the fence about it. Hence why I'm here lol!

Nemo me impune lacessit
post #5 of 14 (permalink) Old 09-28-2016, 01:01 AM
Harley's & Bronco's FTW!

Bronco Info: '95 XLT, 5.8/E4OD/MassAir/6" lift/4.56's/35x12.5 BFG AT-KO2
Garage
Bring it to WA and store it here until you can come back and drive it the rest of the way home.
I mean... if you're already willing and confident enough in it for a cross country road trip like FLA to WA, why not?

Hell, I'd do it for you... for the cost of gas and a bus ticket, if I were allowed in Canada.
Better the Bronco you know and love...

"When life throws you a curve... LEAN INTO IT!"

SuperMotors - Since 2002
post #6 of 14 (permalink) Old 10-04-2016, 09:14 PM
FSM Lifetime

Our trucks are perfect for alaska.... the snow ain't no match.

And the best part about living in perpetual winter? No ****ing salt.

WE accept the ice, though surprisingly most still don't actually know how to drive on it.

AKA Probowler
post #7 of 14 (permalink) Old 10-10-2016, 09:49 AM Thread Starter

I think my biggest thing is I'd rather keep the devil I know and be out a couple grand than be ahead a couple grand (maybe) and meet a devil I don't know. My truck doesn't have very many problems; hell, I could buy a different one that blows a head gasket a month after buying it.

Nemo me impune lacessit
post #8 of 14 (permalink) Old 04-02-2017, 10:49 PM

Bronco Info: 1996 Ford Bronco XLT
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by AKFL View Post
Thing is, it costs around $2.5-3k to ship her, because I'm not driving her all the way (no AlCan for me, thanks). I've thought about driving her to Washington and shipping her from there; haven't decided on that yet. But, if I sell her down here, I *might* get $7k for her. There's no way I'm not having a Bronco in my life, so by the time I get there and buy another solid one for $5-7k, I really wouldn't be that far ahead.
So, what did you decide to do? I vote keep your Bronco, and ship it. If it costs $3k to ship, you just spend $3k. That is a lot less than buying a new car -while not an option of yours, in the grand scheme of things a paid off car is really nice, even with $3k to ship. Driving would cost $1,500 in gas, and also time (a week which you could be working), possibly hotel/food, endangering the Bronco, and putting 5,000 miles on her.

If you got $7k for your Bronco, you might spend that money. People spend what they have. If you get another one in Alaska for $7k you don't know that vehicle's history and could spend $3k bringing it up to condition. If you can even find one in the year you want there (you'll see all sorts of ads in the continental 48 and have the same shipping problem), because they aren't making these anymore. I agree with your "spend $3k for the devil you know than spend ?? for the devil you don't know" and add - if you can find the devil at all.

Just start saving money now.
post #9 of 14 (permalink) Old 04-04-2017, 08:47 PM

Bronco Info: 1993 XLT - 351W - Stock
I'm sure it's probably too late but you might look into taking a ferry from the Seattle area to Whiter AK. (Just down the way a bit from Anchorage). My buddy was looking into this before I convinced him that we should drive the ALCAN in December. I know you said it wasn't an option for you, but if you change your mind make sure to visit The Bible of North Country Travel - The MILEPOST <--- that website/book has amazing information all in one place.

Either route - my vote is to keep the demons you know vs. the ones yet to meet.
post #10 of 14 (permalink) Old 04-07-2017, 01:34 AM
Fullsize Member

Bronco Info: 1986 Bronco XLT 4x4 -AOD -Warn Hubs, NEW stock 302EFI (2008) All MSD ignition, 9mm FMSR wires
What about a trailer and put the Bronco on it and pull it where you're going or I knew a guy years ago who had a set up for the rear wheels and bolted on another set of rims/tires for the rear so the differential wouldn't turn.........I'm an 86er and I'll never sell mine so figure out what works the best and keep your BKO to enjoy in Alaska, no?

Good Luck ~
post #11 of 14 (permalink) Old 04-07-2017, 01:50 PM
Harley's & Bronco's FTW!

Bronco Info: '95 XLT, 5.8/E4OD/MassAir/6" lift/4.56's/35x12.5 BFG AT-KO2
Garage
just FYI... OP = Last Activity: 10-20-2016 08:57 AM

"When life throws you a curve... LEAN INTO IT!"

SuperMotors - Since 2002
post #12 of 14 (permalink) Old 04-08-2017, 11:34 AM

Bronco Info: '92 Sport 5.0
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by BikerPepe` View Post
just FYI... OP = Last Activity: 10-20-2016 08:57 AM
No internet in Alaska?
post #13 of 14 (permalink) Old 04-14-2017, 12:53 AM
Fullsize Member

Bronco Info: 1986 Bronco XLT 4x4 -AOD -Warn Hubs, NEW stock 302EFI (2008) All MSD ignition, 9mm FMSR wires
Well hopefully he made ir safely to Alaska with the Bronco....IDK.......lol lol ~
java9 likes this.
post #14 of 14 (permalink) Old 04-14-2017, 05:15 AM

Bronco Info: '87 FSB, 4.9L, SROD, 31"
Quote:
Originally Posted by ;
No internet in Alaska?
Naw No Internet...Igloos freeze up the firewire. We mush with BKO's now.
BikerPepe` and fodder like this.

Keepin' Busy...

Ford Bronco Forum > Wheeling > Pacific Northwest Chapter

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Bronco Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself. DO NOT USE Gmail.com accounts. If you only have a Gmail.com email please contact the administrator here

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode