Offroadkarter's supercrazyawesome build thread.... - Page 26 - Ford Bronco Forum
 4Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #501 of 519 (permalink) Old 02-26-2016, 03:59 AM Thread Starter
U jelly of my

Bronco Info: 1996 Eddie Bauer 351W
Garage
Hey its almost 4 in the morning and I'm doing nothing productive, lets bump a thread!

So two weeks ago, my truck started misfiring on my way into work. I honestly didn't know what it was at first so I turned around, went home and pulled the codes. Cyl 4 was misfiring. I figured I was about due for plugs since I last changed them at like 74,000 miles. Later that night I swapped all the plugs out (replaced the old autolite coppers with new autolite coppers) and I was right, the plugs were gapped between .082 and .084

I thought this was all. Clearly I was wrong. Two days ago we got sacked with a heavy rain storm. As soon as I left the house it was misfiring again. This time I decided to say f*** it and press on. Well, 15 min into my 30min drive after the truck was warmed up, it stopped misfiring. I had noticed the last time this happend, it cleared up around the same spot in my drive. After I had turned it off/on that time it felt normal to, but I was to distracted to really notice. Before I left work the other day, I fired it up and of course it had a miss. I let it idle for about 15min, turned it off, came out 45min later to leave and it ran 100% fine the entire way home. It was also completely fine yesterday all day long. I'm pretty damn sure my dist cap/rotor are due for a replacement, so I ordered another motorcraft rotor/cap and ford racing 9mm wires from summit. I only needed 8 dollars more for free shipping, so I decided now was the time to pick up a set of aux bilstein 5100 shocks. I want to see if this will solve some of my nose dive under hard braking, since that was part of the point of the original aux shocks.

On another note, this showed up in the mail a couple of weeks ago.

Punisher street VB! I've been wanting one of these for 6 years, I finally bit the bullet. Paul had it built and shipped out real quick. I need to get the bmw home and bleed the clutch on that, then I'm going to tear into my truck and do the dist cap/rotor/wires and the VB. I also noticed my valve covers are seeping quite a lot of oil, so I'm going to get gaskets and take care of that in march as well.

I guess I'll have shit to post about again soon since my truck needs a ton of small things thats bugging the hell out of me. I hope Ford doesn't tank the climbing resale value of the OBS Bronco's, or this thing is going to become a trail beater and I'll just buy something newer and AWD to drive every day

1996 Ford Bronco Eddie Bauer (Sleeping)
>>>super slow build thread<<<

2003 & 2004 Mercury Marauder 1985 BMW 745i 2016 Ford Mustang GT Performance Pack
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #502 of 519 (permalink) Old 02-26-2016, 06:13 PM
House of Windsor 4ever!

Bronco Info: 79 Ranchero GT/97 Eddie Bauer Exploder 5.0 AWD
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by offroadkarter View Post
I'll just buy something newer and AWD to drive every day
That's what I ended up doing. $400 got me my rig, drove it for two+ years before a trans rebuild/tune up/brake rebuild, and have put two+ more years on it so far. 1997 Exploder 5.0 AWD Eddie Bauer edition, comfy, not as roomy for my tall/fat @$$, but easier to get in and out now that my knees are worn out, good-looking, well-cared-for since day one with all receipts, but it is schmutzy inside so I need to do a deep cleaning. The down side is that with current driving I average 13.7 MPG, and one tank's range is just under 295 miles. When I was working, even with the bad third gear, I usually got 320-330 miles from one tank.
post #503 of 519 (permalink) Old 02-28-2016, 01:57 AM
House of Windsor 4ever!

Garage
I'd put up pics but I have yet to find a button on this rotten stripped-down monkey of a mobile version that would start me on that.
post #504 of 519 (permalink) Old 04-01-2016, 05:32 PM Thread Starter
U jelly of my

Garage
okay so I've started ordering some misc parts to fix little niggling issues that have bothered me for years. I've also been shopping for patch panels and hoods and laying out a plan to fix the body on this truck.

If anyone has a hookup on a NOS drivers front fender, let me know. I'd also accept a very clean OEM fender, bonus points if its already off a pacific green eddie bauer.

I am going to slap this thing together as fast as I can in case I decide to bring it out to carlisle for the 50th anniversary of the bronco. I also might need it in case I can't get my marauder done by then

Basically, off the top of my head the list would be as follows:

Mount aux 5100 shocks
Punisher VB + trans flush/filter/new pan w/ drain
Put all interior trim back in its proper place

I'm also looking into ordering a full bassani exhaust, curious how bad the header install will be though.

My tailgate window also will only drop an inch before it stops. two of the screws are stripped to drop the access panel so I have to fix that before I can even see what the hell is going on. Not looking forward to that, I know jack all about window regulators.

I also have to sell my black marauder later this month and get the BMW going so I can drive that every day so I'll be able to keep the bronco off the road for a while when I do the body work. Anyone want a nice new DD?

2003 & 2004 Mercury Marauder 1985 BMW 745i 2016 Ford Mustang GT Performance Pack
post #505 of 519 (permalink) Old 04-02-2016, 02:00 AM
House of Windsor 4ever!

Garage
There's a guy here in the greater Seattle area selling his black Marauder also. He's asking $6750 for his, 140K?

Anyway, a couple pointers about servicing the T/G window. First, it sounds like yours has the same problem mine had, that the ends of the arms rusted due to water leakage from the outside (bad window felt). On a hot day, I had to climb in the back, remove the panel, then remove the two 10mm bolts holding the glass to the regulator runners (originally, I removed the motor but the arms were still locked up). Once the bolts are out, slide the glass all the way down so you can open the T/G. When you go to do the regulator work, remove the felts, then the side glass guides. Once out, the glass can be removed, but I highly recommend you have a buddy assist you. They're tricky to handle while inside the T/G. And the second thing: when the replacement regulator's installed, hook up the motor and close the driver side T/G latch. This'll allow you to operate the regulator up and down with the key before you reinstall the glass.

[Silver70] In 100 years, when astronauts visit the landing site, they'll stumble upon the little FSB rover with a busted driveshaft, twisted up on a moon-rock flexing the SAS, and think, "Man... those things can go anywhere. Screw Jeep."
post #506 of 519 (permalink) Old 04-02-2016, 04:17 PM Thread Starter
U jelly of my

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Handy_andy_cv64 View Post
There's a guy here in the greater Seattle area selling his black Marauder also. He's asking $6750 for his, 140K?
Depending on shape thats about right, I'm going to be asking a bit more for mine since it has 2500 dollars worth of exhaust work done to it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Handy_andy_cv64 View Post
Anyway, a couple pointers about servicing the T/G window. First, it sounds like yours has the same problem mine had, that the ends of the arms rusted due to water leakage from the outside (bad window felt). On a hot day, I had to climb in the back, remove the panel, then remove the two 10mm bolts holding the glass to the regulator runners (originally, I removed the motor but the arms were still locked up). Once the bolts are out, slide the glass all the way down so you can open the T/G. When you go to do the regulator work, remove the felts, then the side glass guides. Once out, the glass can be removed, but I highly recommend you have a buddy assist you. They're tricky to handle while inside the T/G. And the second thing: when the replacement regulator's installed, hook up the motor and close the driver side T/G latch. This'll allow you to operate the regulator up and down with the key before you reinstall the glass.
Good to know, I think it is time to replace those window seals that I once replaced already about 5 or 6 years ago. Sadly I can't get OEM rubber anymore.

post #507 of 519 (permalink) Old 04-03-2016, 08:49 AM
House of Windsor 4ever!

Garage
Try Green Sales, out of Ohio. They carry as much OE 'obsolete' parts as they can find. Once you get the outer felt and rubber side gaskets on, seal all three b!tches together with black spooge. Done right, there'll be definitely no more water inside for a looooonngggg time.

[Silver70] In 100 years, when astronauts visit the landing site, they'll stumble upon the little FSB rover with a busted driveshaft, twisted up on a moon-rock flexing the SAS, and think, "Man... those things can go anywhere. Screw Jeep."
post #508 of 519 (permalink) Old 05-29-2016, 08:27 PM Thread Starter
U jelly of my

Garage
Hello my dudes,

I finally had a chance to throw my Punisher VB in the truck. I wish I bought this 6 years ago, its amazing how good this is. It shifts so quick around town I don't even notice it. Anyone who is on the fence about getting one, go for it. Its such a cheap and effective upgrade to this trans.

Old stuff out

New stuff in, I also added the shift technologies filter retaining clip just to be safe. I never liked how ford made the E40D and 4R70W filters a friction fit.

New U-haul trans pan

Wrapping up

It took 8 quarts total which is average for doing a pan + VB drop and not touching the torque converter. I am glad to see I wasn't the first person to do a pan drop + filter as the filter was a replacement that matched my motorcraft. From what I've seen, the factory filters are metal and the motorcraft replacements are all plastic. My cork pan gasket was leaking though so I'm glad I got this taken care of, one less minor issue down the road.

Also, for anyone who comes across this post in a search, the torque specs (if you care to follow them) are:

Transmission pan: 7-12 ft/lbs
Valve body: 80-100 in/lbs

Tools required: 8mm and 10mm sockets.
BikerPepe` likes this.

post #509 of 519 (permalink) Old 05-29-2016, 09:27 PM
aka: boilermakerms007

Bronco Info: 91 Eddie Bauer, 5.8L, 79 dana44 SAS, 4.56 gears in a trac-loc carrier, 8.5" lift, shorty headers,
Garage
I can't believe how much crap you talk about Bronco graveyard bro. You must have never dealt with them. Sweet ride anyway! Where did you get the punisher? I need a transmission upgrade....

GET DIRTY
post #510 of 519 (permalink) Old 05-29-2016, 09:33 PM Thread Starter
U jelly of my

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by MATCHBOX View Post
I can't believe how much crap you talk about Bronco graveyard bro. You must have never dealt with them.
When, like 4 years ago? Do some searching on this site, enough people have had problems with them that I never felt the need to give them my business. They are rather hit or miss. If they've improved with shipping and order handling since I joined this site I'd be willing to give them a try.

Quote:
Where did you get the punisher? I need a transmission upgrade....
I got it from Paul directly, he goes by "thePunisher" on various sites. If you search NLOC for his email you'll find it.

post #511 of 519 (permalink) Old 05-29-2016, 10:02 PM

Bronco Info: 91 Eddie Bauer, 5.8L, 79 dana44 SAS, 4.56 gears in a trac-loc carrier, 8.5" lift, shorty headers,
Garage
I guess I wasn't looking at dates, they are pretty good to deal with in my opinion. Does he machine that valve body himself? That's awesome!

GET DIRTY
post #512 of 519 (permalink) Old 05-29-2016, 10:43 PM
Fullsize Member

Bronco Info: 1995 XLT 351W, 2.5 R/C Lift,4.10's, Rancho Extended R/As, 33's, Punisher Valve Body
Quote:
I guess I wasn't looking at dates, they are pretty good to deal with in my opinion. Does he machine that valve body himself? That's awesome!
Yes, he does all the work himself, a one man show so sometimes you gotta wait a couple of weeks to get one, he is probably one of the most nicest and helpful people I have ever dealt with.
MATCHBOX likes this.

No bum that can't speak poifect English oughta stay in this country...oughta be de-exported the hell outta here!"

-Archie Bunker

bron·co/ˈbräNGkō/
Noun:
A wild or half-tamed horse, esp. of the western US.
post #513 of 519 (permalink) Old 05-30-2016, 12:50 AM Thread Starter
U jelly of my

Garage
Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by JScatt View Post
Yes, he does all the work himself, a one man show so sometimes you gotta wait a couple of weeks to get one, he is probably one of the most nicest and helpful people I have ever dealt with.
^ this, He kept me up to date on the process and let me know when it was sent out. He hand builds them all, you just tell him how mild or aggressive you want it. He also builds them depending on what truck you have, lightning, F250, Bronco and so on.

post #514 of 519 (permalink) Old 05-30-2016, 07:01 AM

Garage
That's cool, I just gotta figure out how to reach him now.

GET DIRTY
post #515 of 519 (permalink) Old 07-27-2016, 11:45 PM Thread Starter
U jelly of my

Garage
Well, I have some uh... news... I guess it can be considered good, good for my truck's sake anyways.

The bronco is officially off the road, off my insurance, and parked in storage up in PA. The rust is getting so bad on this truck, as well as all the bushings needing to be replaced, weather seals are going and the oil pan gasket finally ate shit, I decided to take it off the road before it reaches the point of no return.

I do still really like this truck, and even in its current state I was getting compliments on it all the time. Hell, the night I was gassing it up to drive up to PA, the gas station attendant was asking me about the lift on the truck.

Nothing is set in stone yet, but its looking like the best way to go about fixing this truck is to 100% tear it apart. I mean, body off frame, take it to the sand blasters and strip EVERYTHING. I noticed that the rain drip rails over the doors are starting to swell (surprised it took this long) and the passenger side a pillar has some paint flaking off from rust, which I just saw last night. This is getting beyond a simple patch panel and respray. I want to strip it down and make sure I do this once and for all. Especially the way these are going up in value, I want to make sure this is done right so I have a bronco to be proud of again.

I don't know how long this will take, I'm sure I won't be able to start on it for at least another year, if not two, depending on how my job situation is in the future. I certainly don't have 8-10 grand to drop on a full repaint right now. Let alone all the mechanical crap it needs.

So for now it'll be sitting in the garage up in PA. I'm going to take it out and wash it when I'm back up in a few weeks. I'll probably drive it around every so often up there just to keep things circulating, but after almost 7 years, the bronco is 100% officially retired from daily driving duty.

Parked up in PA next to our Sierra

So what replaced it as a daily? Well, Ford only sells one other horse vehicle

I picked up this 2016 Mustang GT Premium with Performance Package last thursday. For over a year now I've been bouncing around with what I wanted to get for a new DD. I looked at e39 M5's, e90 M3's, C5Z Vettes, GTO's, 03/04 Cobras, I even entertained the idea of a 2011 GT500. I was honestly dead set on a e39 M5 until I watched the market skyrocket about 5 grand in front of my eyes. I was not going to pay 20 grand for a 15 year old, 100+k mile German car. So that is a dream that will have to wait.

I had driven the S550 cars in the past, but only the base V6 and ecoboost cars. I never drove a GT, let alone a manual trans GT with performance pack. I figured if I hated it, I could fall back on the 2011 GT500 idea as I've driven S197's before and enjoyed them.

Didn't hate it.

Car is great to drive, I honestly love it. It really does remind me a lot of driving the e39 M5, the coyote V8 has a very linear and smooth powerband. It also loves to be wound out (7500rpm rev limiter). Its great fun to rip around on the windy backroads near my house and its also great to drive long distance (Day after I bought it, I drove it down to southern maryland and back which is 11 hours round trip). I have no regrets with buying the manual trans either, this car is super easy to drive in traffic. Overall, Ford did a hell of a job with this car and the new platform.

I'm not going to drive this in the winter though (I did have it in mind before I bought it).

Nope, I got this to cover winter and bad weather duties.

I picked this 2003 marauder up this past january for cheap off a kid in CT who ran it low on oil and spun a main bearing. I found a good engine from a 03 aviator which had 8,000 miles less than the car, had it drop shipped to a friends house and we plunked it in. I undid years of cosmetic and mechanical issues with the car (moonroof wired wrong and not sitting in the track right, random wires, random broken bits, dead window switches, tires were shot, etc). Its now a well sorted and great driving car for just rolling 140k on it. It didn't come stock either.

JLT inake
Stainless Works Long Tube Headers
SW 2.5" exhaust
Xcal4 w/ tune

Next year this car will need the suspension gone through, all I plan on doing this year is touching it up with POR 15 (new england winter has taken a toll) and firming up the brakes as the pedal feel sucks with these early build Marauders.

So that is where I am at right now. When I start ripping the bronco apart I'll certainly have updates for this thread. I hope I'll have the funds to build the truck how I've always dreamed, I'm sure over time before I even kick the "restoration" off, I'll be collecting parts.

When the time comes, I will update everyone on operation "Make the Bronco Great Again"

post #516 of 519 (permalink) Old 03-08-2017, 06:57 PM

Bronco Info: 95 F150 EB 351-E4OD 4x4, 89 F350 CC 7.3-E4OD, 93 F350 CC 7.3IDI Turbo ZF5 4x4
Damn, a lot of shit has changed since I was last on FSB! It's sad to see how bad the rust has gotten to on the Bronco. That's why I don't drive my nice trucks in the winter anymore. I didnt even realize you bought that musty stang lol

93 F350 4x4 Crew Cab 7.3 Turbo IDI ZF5 3" DP, BB injectors
89 F350 CC-7.3-E4OD 40x18 Ground Hawgs, winch bumper, 12klb winch, 5" stacks, turbo pump, BB injectors
95 F150 EB 5.8-E4OD Aussie locker, leveling coils, 94 F150 XLT I6-E4OD 90 F350 XLT 7.5 C6
post #517 of 519 (permalink) Old 03-09-2017, 02:30 AM
House of Windsor 4ever!

Garage
Damn, dude, where you been? Good to see you again.
EMO42 likes this.

post #518 of 519 (permalink) Old 03-09-2017, 04:23 PM

Bronco Info: 95 F150 EB 351-E4OD 4x4, 89 F350 CC 7.3-E4OD, 93 F350 CC 7.3IDI Turbo ZF5 4x4
I've been around haha, so many projects have come and gone since i've been active here. I've had over 50 vehicles probably since then too

93 F350 4x4 Crew Cab 7.3 Turbo IDI ZF5 3" DP, BB injectors
89 F350 CC-7.3-E4OD 40x18 Ground Hawgs, winch bumper, 12klb winch, 5" stacks, turbo pump, BB injectors
95 F150 EB 5.8-E4OD Aussie locker, leveling coils, 94 F150 XLT I6-E4OD 90 F350 XLT 7.5 C6
post #519 of 519 (permalink) Old 03-09-2017, 08:42 PM
House of Windsor 4ever!

Garage
I don't know if you were still on back in the Spring of '14, but I had to sell Eddie, along with all the drivetrain and other parts for his conversion, in May or June of that year. But with not much to do while on disability, I hang around here.

Ford Bronco Forum > Other Forums > General Discussion/ Bronco and Wheeling related.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Bronco Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself. DO NOT USE Gmail.com accounts. If you only have a Gmail.com email please contact the administrator here

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode