Expo and Adventure Modding Reference Thread! - Page 2 - Ford Bronco Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #21 of 52 (permalink) Old 03-03-2013, 11:17 AM
I did all for the Nookie

Bronco Info: 89' Bronco 5.8l Variable Speed V8, Forward, Rev, Turns left, right, stops, and everything.
Garage
Here are the additions to my Bronco that make it a much more compacted and organized rig for rolling down the road with only the wind to guide me. The interior is a work in progress but the jack storage has been the best thing I could have done to the layout of my BKO it's tucked away neatly remains clean and dry ready for use at all times. If your going to play off the beaten path then a good winch bumper and a set of sliders had better be on your list of high priorities if you want to maintain a good looking vehicle.

Seats and interior storage
HuggyB's interior build

Hi-lift storage
I Stuck my Hylift where the sun don't shine

Winch bumper
HuggyB's Bronco bumper build

Sliders
Body protection sliders

351W, ZF5-47, BW1356, 10.25/D60
FOTM DEC. 2011
"Quando Omni Flunkus, Moritati,"
When all else fails roll over and play dead.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #22 of 52 (permalink) Old 03-03-2013, 12:19 PM Thread Starter
FSM Lifetime

Bronco Info: 92 Factory Original 300 I6 M5OD Manual Custom. 3 seats, AC and a radio and all vinyl interior.
Great Threads Huggy.

Do you have any updates on the Seats and Storage thread? All the other threads looked pretty well completed but that one was still a work in progress.

Thanks for the input. I think this is going to turn into a really great sticky.

JTMcD.
We sleep Peaceful in our beds because Rough Men stand ready in the night to visit violence upon those who would do us harm............George Orwell
The object of life's journey is not to arrive at the grave safely in a well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, totally worn out, shouting, 'Holy Shit, What a Ride!!! -- Mavis Leyrer

MY A/C Vacuum leak repair http://www.fullsizebronco.com/forum/23-technical-write-ups/175808-how-i-fixed-my-c-vac-leak.html
post #23 of 52 (permalink) Old 03-03-2013, 12:45 PM
I did all for the Nookie

Bronco Info: 89' Bronco 5.8l Variable Speed V8, Forward, Rev, Turns left, right, stops, and everything.
Garage
Interior is on the back burner and almost off the stove. I have some aggressive goals so the mechanical things are top priority followed by recovery and protection when I started the interior I didn't realize all the other things I wanted to do. I will update as I move forward but I'm just sharing my thoughts as they may help someone else here get their direction.

351W, ZF5-47, BW1356, 10.25/D60
FOTM DEC. 2011
"Quando Omni Flunkus, Moritati,"
When all else fails roll over and play dead.
post #24 of 52 (permalink) Old 05-09-2013, 11:17 AM
F.O.T.M. - MAY 2014!!!

Bronco Info: 88 FSB. 4.9l -T18-BW1356-33" MTs-Warn hubs Daystar leveling kit
Got one of these for my weekend camping trips. With my camping gear in 2 big storage boxes, strapped down the cargo area was all empty, except for fire wood.

Sliding rear windows, GT roll bar, Cargo net and looking for other rare options. 4.10 gears LSD 33" MTs First ever Stock Fullsize of the Month...
J A S N http://www.supermotors.net/registry/19528
post #25 of 52 (permalink) Old 05-09-2013, 02:16 PM
Banned

Bronco Info: '83 VIN & title on '93 frame/body w/'95 4.9L & EB paint
A hitch hauler is certainly useful, and I use the hell outta mine, but I don't think I'd take it on an expedition or adventure off-road. It kills departure angle, and whatever is on it blocks the tire carrier & t/g. A trailer is more suited to the task, if you're hauling more than the Bronco itself can handle.
post #26 of 52 (permalink) Old 05-09-2013, 03:41 PM
F.O.T.M. - MAY 2014!!!

Yea, it did scrape on the driveway but I was going into an established campground with pavel roads. Mine did not block the tire carrier, and the TG would of be fine if not for the latch. For on the freeway and pavel roads, they are excellent.

Sliding rear windows, GT roll bar, Cargo net and looking for other rare options. 4.10 gears LSD 33" MTs First ever Stock Fullsize of the Month...
post #27 of 52 (permalink) Old 05-09-2013, 03:46 PM
F.O.T.M. - MAY 2014!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by fartman View Post
Yea, it did scrape on the driveway but I was going into an established campground with pavel roads. Mine did not block the tire carrier, and the TG would of be fine if not for the latch. For on the freeway and pavel roads, they are excellent.
I might try to attach it to the tire carrier for better ground clearance. But it would have to be removable.

post #28 of 52 (permalink) Old 05-10-2013, 02:24 AM
Banned

I'm not talking about the hauler blocking the t/g & spare; I'm talking about whatever you put ON the hauler.

And this thread isn't really about paved roads & established campgrounds.
post #29 of 52 (permalink) Old 05-11-2013, 12:30 PM Thread Starter
FSM Lifetime

Bronco Info: 92 Factory Original 300 I6 M5OD Manual Custom. 3 seats, AC and a radio and all vinyl interior.
I would think it wouldn't be too hard to come up with an adapter that could be placed on the lugs of the tire carrier with a square bar stock that would function as a trailer hitch point. That would allow you to install the carrier onto the spare tire rack and still carry the spare. You would have to install longer studs so you could sandwich the adapter between the tire and rack, allowing the wheel to aid in distribution of forces on the rack.

The limitation I see would be, just how much could you actually safely carry on the rack with the already added weight of the carrier? I have no idea how much weight the rack can actually hold total.

JTMcD.
We sleep Peaceful in our beds because Rough Men stand ready in the night to visit violence upon those who would do us harm............George Orwell
The object of life's journey is not to arrive at the grave safely in a well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, totally worn out, shouting, 'Holy Shit, What a Ride!!! -- Mavis Leyrer

MY A/C Vacuum leak repair http://www.fullsizebronco.com/forum/showthread.php?t=175808
post #30 of 52 (permalink) Old 05-11-2013, 04:05 PM
F.O.T.M. - MAY 2014!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve83 View Post
I'm not talking about the hauler blocking the t/g & spare; I'm talking about whatever you put ON the hauler.

And this thread isn't really about paved roads & established campgrounds.
Paved roads lead to the Adventures!
Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnMcD348 View Post
I would think it wouldn't be too hard to come up with an adapter that could be placed on the lugs of the tire carrier with a square bar stock that would function as a trailer hitch point. That would allow you to install the carrier onto the spare tire rack and still carry the spare. You would have to install longer studs so you could sandwich the adapter between the tire and rack, allowing the wheel to aid in distribution of forces on the rack.

The limitation I see would be, just how much could you actually safely carry on the rack with the already added weight of the carrier? I have no idea how much weight the rack can actually hold total.
Good idea, but the lugs on the rack are not in the middle of the the rear.

post #31 of 52 (permalink) Old 05-11-2013, 11:16 PM
FSM Lifetime

Bronco Info: 91 Bronco w/ 5.0 L V8, Auto w/ E40D
Garage
Center Console Control Panel

Just thought I'd add my little thread on building a simple and easy center console with it eaqualy easy to make control panel. So far, I've only mounted light switches for my grill lights and the reverse light I mounted on the spare tire swing arm.
It should be good for other options, like in cab winch controls, outlets, and of course, other lights.

1991 Bronco w/ 5.0L V8, Auto w/ E40D trans, factory spare tire rack, factory limited slip diff, dual batteries, custom air intake, 8K lb. winch, tactical seat covers, drop down TV w/ CD/DVD player, 31's on stock suspension, roof baskets, new injectors, rear bumper w/ tire rack, 33" Goodyear Wranglers, 2" suspension lift.

To Do List: paint,
My BKO build: Project Farmhand
post #32 of 52 (permalink) Old 05-11-2013, 11:33 PM
Fullsize Member

Bronco Info: 1986 Black FSB built 302ci on 35" BFG MT and an 88 stubborn mule on 38" toyo MTs, LS SASd
My hitch hauler goes with me every time I hunt. It carries my gas cans, cooler, and 7gal jerry can. Ive scraped mine to the point that the back two square tube supports are sticking straight out and now are caution tape holders to keep tailgaters at bay. Now that I have a spare topper its time to think up a good unistrut rack for it. Dr jekyll may be taking a back burner job soon though.

dr jekyll: 86 built 302,30 over, carbed, 4" lift on 35s...mr hyde: 88 302 LS SAS, both ends locked, hydro assist, 5.13s, on 38 toyos
post #33 of 52 (permalink) Old 05-12-2013, 01:47 AM
Banned

Quote:
...install the carrier onto the spare tire rack and still carry the spare.
That's like putting an engine hoist on the antenna.
post #34 of 52 (permalink) Old 05-12-2013, 07:50 PM Thread Starter
FSM Lifetime

Well, that's another way of putting it I guess. I've read a few things on here where people wonder about how large of a tire/wheel they could put on it and other discussions on how much weight it would or wouldn't hold. It invariable comes down to those who say you can't put more than the aluminum 235 on it and others who swear they can hand their Bronco from a tree by it......

JTMcD.

MY A/C Vacuum leak repair http://www.fullsizebronco.com/forum/showthread.php?t=175808
post #35 of 52 (permalink) Old 05-12-2013, 08:51 PM
Man with a Golden ticket

Bronco Info: 96 blackout XLT Sport 5.8L E4OD, 4" Rancho w/ 35" MTR's
Expeditionary Bumpers

Thought I would add this to talk a little about bumpers and what went into deciding on the bumper John (triplesix) fabbed for me.

After looking at quite a few bumpers and trying to decide what I liked or didn't like I decided that I wanted these things;

1. I wanted a stout bumper that would be able to push things out of the way when required.

2. It needed to be as light weight as possible given all the things I wanted it to have.

3. I wanted to keep an equal or better departure angle over the stock bumper.

4. It had to be able to accommodate at least a 12K Winch.

5. I also wanted strong anchor/recovery points for pulling, snatching, towing, etc.

6. I live in a heavily wooded and underbrush area so I also thought it would
be good to have some stout brush bars for keeping limbs and other objects
from cracking the light housings and spearing the radiator.

7.I also thought it would be beneficial to have a front receiver for situations
where I could add any receiver mounted accessories to the front and also
use it to be able to move trailers and such with the articulation of front steering like a forklift.

These were all things that I considered based on where I live and what I wanted and I am sure as time goes by that I will discover other options I would have liked or find that some of the options I added were not very useful after all. But this was the criteria I gave to John and I have to say I was truly impressed with the bumper he designed and fabbed based on the criteria I gave him. A little shout out and props to John for making what I think was a pretty badass bumper.

I am still in the thinking and planning stages for my rear bumper so any thoughts you all may have on that would be greatly appreciated.

In addition I welcome any feedback on my front bumper as well.
Things I could have or should have done or things you think were unnecessary or I should have done differently.

Hopefully this will give others who are yet to decide on Bumpers some options they have to consider.

You just might be a redneck if you start a conversation with:
"happened to us when Dad got pinched by the feds."
- Biker Pepe' -
post #36 of 52 (permalink) Old 05-12-2013, 09:03 PM Thread Starter
FSM Lifetime

Very nice. Thanks

What's the total weight of that bumper as it sits now?

JTMcD.

post #37 of 52 (permalink) Old 05-12-2013, 10:07 PM
Man with a Golden ticket

Quote:
Very nice. Thanks

What's the total weight of that bumper as it sits now?

Of course you would ask that question!

I am not sure as I forgot to weigh it when I had it off to paint.

I am guessing it to weigh 3-4 times what my stock bumper weighed.
Probably between 70-90lbs??

One man can lift it and carry it around but it took two of us to wrangle it in place to mount it.

Not sure if John has the weight on it or not, I am sure he has the weight of similar ones if he doesn't have mine.

It was not heavy enough though to cause any drop on my front end, measurably anyway.

- Biker Pepe' -
post #38 of 52 (permalink) Old 05-13-2013, 09:27 PM Thread Starter
FSM Lifetime

Well That's good. When I think of rigging and modding a vehicle for Expo, I consider weight to be important. Better fuel economy and less to have to get through potentially impassable areas. But, then there is a line between heavy and sturdy and reliable. I just don't know where that is yet.

JTMcD.

post #39 of 52 (permalink) Old 05-14-2013, 12:53 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by buffaloroams View Post
...front steering like a forklift...
Almost every forklift I've seen is rear-steer ; Broncos have front steering.
Quote:
Originally Posted by buffaloroams View Post
...equal or better departure angle over the stock bumper.
Departure only applies to the REAR bumper , and even if the bumper & shackles didn't, I'm pretty sure that receiver has reduced the approach angle from where it would be on a stock front bumper.

I've been backing trailers since before I was street-legal, so I've never considered a front receiver necessary. But on my new bumper, I have 2, just because they'll make everything else easier: recovery points, front hitch (just in case), snow plow (again: IF), tow bar, or almost anything I ever come up with. I don't plan to mount lights on it, but there are several spots, and it also has a touch of factory styling. Another major consideration for me is that there be NO modifications to the truck to fit the bumper, but it still has to be attached strong enough for impacts without affecting the crumple zones/SRS. How does yours attach, buff? Like the previous bumper, my new one also has storage (why don't more bumpers have that???), and the grille guard will fold down (both for access to the truck, and for hauling). But this time, I have a grille ornament that's actually strong enough to literally stamp FORD on someone's ass.

Even though this one will probably be slightly heavier, there's still no dead weight in it, so I can accept whatever it does to the fuel economy , knowing that I can knock down trees, crack rocks, & push dirt, bounce Priuses, and skew compasses. Its CG is below the truck's CG, so it's actually helping the stability.

BTW John
That "line" is called "finite-element analysis". Ford was the first automaker to use it on a production vehicle!
post #40 of 52 (permalink) Old 05-14-2013, 02:49 AM
Man with a Golden ticket

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve83 View Post
Almost every forklift I've seen is rear-steer ; Broncos have front steering. Departure only applies to the REAR bumper , and even if the bumper & shackles didn't, I'm pretty sure that receiver has reduced the approach angle from where it would be on a stock front bumper.

I've been backing trailers since before I was street-legal, so I've never considered a front receiver necessary. But on my new bumper, I have 2, just because they'll make everything else easier: recovery points, front hitch (just in case), snow plow (again: IF), tow bar, or almost anything I ever come up with. I don't plan to mount lights on it, but there are several spots, and it also has a touch of factory styling. Another major consideration for me is that there be NO modifications to the truck to fit the bumper, but it still has to be attached strong enough for impacts without affecting the crumple zones/SRS. How does yours attach, buff? Like the previous bumper, my new one also has storage (why don't more bumpers have that???), and the grille guard will fold down (both for access to the truck, and for hauling). But this time, I have a grille ornament that's actually strong enough to literally stamp FORD on someone's ass.

Even though this one will probably be slightly heavier, there's still no dead weight in it, so I can accept whatever it does to the fuel economy , knowing that I can knock down trees, crack rocks, & push dirt, bounce Priuses, and skew compasses. Its CG is below the truck's CG, so it's actually helping the stability.

BTW John
That "line" is called "finite-element analysis". Ford was the first automaker to use it on a production vehicle!

Knew you, of all people would catch any misstatements I made.

Yeah, I suppose I should have said approach angle, or I should have just lied and said I go everywhere in reverse.

As for the forklift comment, you are correct, they steer like a boat.
I was just trying to think of a way to explain the more articulated steering of the front mount receiver. It wasn't the major factor in wanting the receiver added but I wanted to try to illustrate all the advantages in case that may be something useful for someone else to consider.

As for your idea of having storage bins built into your bumper I love that idea.
If I had the welding equipment and the talent I would have done the same but since I was having to pay someone else to do my fab work I can only get so much. I will have to suggest the storage idea to John though. He is always looking at ways to improve his designs. I also like how you added touches of factory to your bumper build, definitely got cool points for that.

Weight wasn't a big consideration honestly, with all the features it's just flat out going to be heavy, I just didn't want to add any weight that didn't serve some purpose.

It uses the same mounting points as the stock bumper, I'm not sure what you were driving at Steve?

I do plan to add some LED light bars, two inset on the angled edges of the left and right end sections of the bumper and a 18-24" ? Bar in front of the winch or over it pointed straight forward. Figure this will give me a wide light array to light up the area in front of and just off side the truck.

I also plan to get one of those license plate holder/steps as a cover for the fair lead. I like having something I can stand on to reach into the engine bay when necessary. Although for me it's just to fool people into thinking I might actually know what I am looking at.

- Biker Pepe' -

Last edited by buffaloroams; 05-14-2013 at 02:56 AM. Reason: Feckin Apple products!

Ford Bronco Forum > Other Forums > General Discussion/ Bronco and Wheeling related.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Bronco Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself. DO NOT USE Gmail.com accounts. If you only have a Gmail.com email please contact the administrator here

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode