Due for a few upgrades. - Page 2 - Ford Bronco Forum
 5Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #21 of 77 (permalink) Old 02-26-2016, 02:15 AM

Bronco Info: 1996 XLT, 5.8, 4" RC Lift, Procomp 1069 16x8" Wheels, Toyo MT 285/75R16 Tires
Garage
I like the black bumpers, but blacking the wheels looks cheap

Failure is not an Option.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #22 of 77 (permalink) Old 02-26-2016, 06:26 AM Thread Starter

Bronco Info: '95 EB 5.8L 4.56's TrueTracs Fr&Rr 6" BDS lift 35x12.50's Warn Hubs Pacesetters Flowmaster K&N
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hylander View Post
I like the black bumpers, but blacking the wheels looks cheap
Do you think ALL black wheels look cheap? They would look cheap on my EB? Or is it just that my horrible PS job makes them look cheap?

I wouldn't be blacking out any of it if it wasn't already looking bad the way it is. The wheels are extremely oxidized and NEED something done. And the chrome is starting to come off of the front bumper and looks pretty rough too. Can't afford to have it re-chrome plated or buy a new one yet. So the powder coating would really just be a temporary "quick fix" until I could afford to replace them all together.

One day I hope to buy or build winch/off-road style bumpers for it, which will almost definitely be black. Unless I decide to powder coat them tan or something. Which I guess is another option for my bumpers now.

'95 EB 5.8L, 35x12.50 BFG's, Yukon/Motive 4.56's, Detroit TrueTrac's Fr & Rr, 6" BDS suspension lift, extended radius arms, steering stabilizer, extended bump stops, extended steel braided brake lines, Warn manual hubs, TRE flip, Redhead steering box, Pacesetters, Flowmaster, K&N
http://www.supermotors.net/registry/27578
post #23 of 77 (permalink) Old 02-26-2016, 06:31 AM Thread Starter

Bronco Info: '95 EB 5.8L 4.56's TrueTracs Fr&Rr 6" BDS lift 35x12.50's Warn Hubs Pacesetters Flowmaster K&N
Garage
Here's a quick visual with JUST the wheels black...

...kinda more dark gray-ish, but obviously they will be actual BLACK once done for real.

'95 EB 5.8L, 35x12.50 BFG's, Yukon/Motive 4.56's, Detroit TrueTrac's Fr & Rr, 6" BDS suspension lift, extended radius arms, steering stabilizer, extended bump stops, extended steel braided brake lines, Warn manual hubs, TRE flip, Redhead steering box, Pacesetters, Flowmaster, K&N
post #24 of 77 (permalink) Old 02-26-2016, 01:33 PM

Bronco Info: 1996 XLT, 5.8, 4" RC Lift, Procomp 1069 16x8" Wheels, Toyo MT 285/75R16 Tires
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by TJSmoot View Post
Do you think ALL black wheels look cheap? They would look cheap on my EB? Or is it just that my horrible PS job makes them look cheap?
I do like some black wheels, I just think on your truck with its current paint, blacking your wheels takes away from its good looks.
Could be that in the pic the color looks flat black, I'm thinking a more glossy black might look better.
Just "MHO" though.

post #25 of 77 (permalink) Old 02-26-2016, 02:15 PM Thread Starter

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hylander View Post
I do like some black wheels, I just think on your truck with its current paint, blacking your wheels takes away from its good looks.
Could be that in the pic the color looks flat black, I'm thinking a more glossy black might look better.
Just "MHO" though.
Gotcha. Thanks for the input! I'm kinda with ya. I think the black might slightly take away from it because of the paint scheme too. BUT I might just like it! I wonder if the wheels would polish up okay if I just got them blasted but not PC'ed?

I guess the better question to have asked would have been, do you think new black PC would look better than pitted oxidized wheels, and/or faded/peeling chrome bumpers? Anything I do to the bumpers right now will be temporary until I can either save up to buy new bumpers, OR I get a paint job. But either of those options will be A WHILE off.

post #26 of 77 (permalink) Old 02-28-2016, 06:37 PM Thread Starter

Garage
I really thought my wheels were oxidized beyond saving, but after 5.5+ hours of straight scrubbing and polishing this weekend, I have hope. So far, they are far from good but look good from far! I still have some work to do, but I went through a whole pack of 0000 Steel wool, and my hands, arms and back need a break.

Before:

After:

BUT... This changes my plans. I was really only getting the bumpers powder coated because I was getting the wheels powder coated and figured, "might as well while I'm getting such a good deal...". But now that my wheels are looking decent, I'm just gonna rock the stock bumpers til I save up for a nice winch style bumper down the road.

post #27 of 77 (permalink) Old 02-29-2016, 06:50 PM Thread Starter

Garage
Since I don't have to schedule the powder coating to be done while the wheels are off now, everything else should go a lot quicker than I originally thought. I now hope to have the lift and tires on by Thursday. We'll see, I guess.

post #28 of 77 (permalink) Old 02-29-2016, 07:27 PM

I believe we met once in the parking lot of a chickfila near thruway in Winston. I was in my blue pickup with a 454. I recommended a muffler shop to you.

I think the back wheels would look odd by themselves, but with some other accents in black I think it would work.

Interested to see the BDS lift. That same kit is in my plans for my bronco.

-Dustin
'97, 2500 ECSB, 454, 4X4, 0411, full exhaust, 33's. My "I'll-go-wherever-I-want" tool.("Biggin' ")
'95 Bronco XLT 5.0, 3" lift, 33's, with 185k. Junk-hauling deer-retriever.("Dufus") Build thread.
post #29 of 77 (permalink) Old 03-01-2016, 06:32 AM Thread Starter

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mangonesailor View Post
I believe we met once in the parking lot of a chickfila near thruway in Winston. I was in my blue pickup with a 454. I recommended a muffler shop to you.

I think the back wheels would look odd by themselves, but with some other accents in black I think it would work.

Interested to see the BDS lift. That same kit is in my plans for my bronco.
Yeah man! I remember that day. Good to hear from you! Don't think there are very many FSB folks from around these parts from what I can tell. Let me know if you ever want to get up for some wheelin' or some wrenchin'.

And I'm interested to see it too! Haha.

post #30 of 77 (permalink) Old 03-01-2016, 09:10 AM

Quote:
Yeah man! I remember that day. Good to hear from you! Don't think there are very many FSB folks from around these parts from what I can tell. Let me know if you ever want to get up for some wheelin' or some wrenchin'.

And I'm interested to see it too! Haha.
No problem. Let me know if I can help you with what you're doing. Just send me a PM and we can go from there. Mine is actually my garage now with the water pump off. Going to put in a new timing set while I'm at it but I need a new balancer and some hardware first unfortunately. Hopefully I can get my new front bumper welded up and mounted this weekend so I actually have one.

I used to see a black one on 109 on my way to work every morning. Now my hours have changed and I don't see him. Looked like a 2" lift on 33's or 35's with a fastback softtop.

Also, now looking at your wheels and such on the computer. I'd keep them as they are.
TJSmoot likes this.

-Dustin
'97, 2500 ECSB, 454, 4X4, 0411, full exhaust, 33's. My "I'll-go-wherever-I-want" tool.("Biggin' ")
'95 Bronco XLT 5.0, 3" lift, 33's, with 185k. Junk-hauling deer-retriever.("Dufus") Build thread.
post #31 of 77 (permalink) Old 03-01-2016, 02:19 PM Thread Starter

Garage
Quote:
No problem. Let me know if I can help you with what you're doing. Just send me a PM and we can go from there. Mine is actually my garage now with the water pump off. Going to put in a new timing set while I'm at it but I need a new balancer and some hardware first unfortunately. Hopefully I can get my new front bumper welded up and mounted this weekend so I actually have one.
Will do. I want to see how your bumper turns out! That's definitely on my "to do" list.

post #32 of 77 (permalink) Old 03-01-2016, 11:26 PM

Well I have to fabricate new tines for my grandfather's tiller before I go fabricating on the bronco.

If I had rechecked my measurements this would have been easier, but I wound up about 1" short on the C-channel to do it the way, I think, it should be done. Now I may have to sacrifice real estate for a winch to mount my bumper. I'm going to fisher's Friday to pick up steel.

-Dustin
post #33 of 77 (permalink) Old 03-04-2016, 07:57 PM Thread Starter

Garage
It's official. 6"BDS lift, 35x12.50 BFG's, and PSOM recal... DONE.

Pictures coming soon.

post #34 of 77 (permalink) Old 03-04-2016, 08:41 PM

Quote:
It's official. 6"BDS lift, 35x12.50 BFG's, and PSOM recal... DONE.

Pictures coming soon.
That was fast!

-Dustin
post #35 of 77 (permalink) Old 03-06-2016, 06:59 PM Thread Starter

Garage
Okay. Here are a FEW pictures with the lift and tires.

So, I'm a photographer by trade and this is the first time in a while I've not used my "smart" phone for Bronco photos... so sorry if I get carried away with the photos.

post #36 of 77 (permalink) Old 03-06-2016, 10:00 PM

Those 16s or 17s?

Looks great! Maybe in a year I'll have my own. Our offer just got accepted for a house, so lots of work ahead of me with its yard before the bronco gets a lot of attention.

-Dustin
post #37 of 77 (permalink) Old 03-07-2016, 06:29 AM Thread Starter

Garage
Quote:
Those 16s or 17s?
The wheels? They are 15x10.

post #38 of 77 (permalink) Old 03-07-2016, 02:14 PM

Garage
Rig looks Great

post #39 of 77 (permalink) Old 03-12-2016, 03:07 PM Thread Starter

Garage
So while I'm in the mood... Might as well do a few other things too, right? Just ordered a Redhead steering box to fix some of this slop, and knuckle conversion sleeves to do the tie rod flip and get everything back in line. Also ordered the extended brake lines and shock/steering stabalizer boots (that I could have swore I ordered with the lift!), and some tailgate striker bushings that I have been needing for years. Oh yeah, and my Bro-in-law got me a small Amazon gift card for Christmas last year that I never used so I just got new vent visors because my wife hated the broken one I had on the passenger side. I'm sure there will be more to come.

post #40 of 77 (permalink) Old 03-24-2016, 07:35 PM Thread Starter

Garage
Quick update:

Redhead steering box - installed
Tie rod end flip - done
Rear extended brake line - installed (still waiting on the fronts to come in)
Vent visors - installed

Handling is MUCH improved! Slop is almost non-existent now, and it feels much more "planted" with the TRE flip.

Starting to feel like I'm getting somewhere now.

...couple more things to do, and I will get back to posting some pictures of all this stuff.

Ford Bronco Forum > Other Forums > General Discussion/ Bronco and Wheeling related.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Bronco Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself. DO NOT USE Gmail.com accounts. If you only have a Gmail.com email please contact the administrator here

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode