5Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #41 of 77 (permalink) Old 03-24-2016, 09:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TJSmoot View Post
Quick update:

Redhead steering box - installed
Tie rod end flip - done
Rear extended brake line - installed (still waiting on the fronts to come in)
Vent visors - installed

Handling is MUCH improved! Slop is almost non-existent now, and it feels much more "planted" with the TRE flip.

Starting to feel like I'm getting somewhere now.

...couple more things to do, and I will get back to posting some pictures of all this stuff.
Now you need a transfer case clocking ring to tuck that puppy up, then make a new skid plate.

-Dustin
'97, 2500 ECSB, 454, 4X4, 0411, full exhaust, 33's. My "I'll-go-wherever-I-want" tool.("Biggin' ")
'95 Bronco XLT 5.0, 3" lift, 33's, with 185k. Junk-hauling deer-retriever.("Dufus") Build thread.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #42 of 77 (permalink) Old 03-26-2016, 12:06 PM Thread Starter

Bronco Info: '95 EB 5.8L 4.56's TrueTracs Fr&Rr 6" BDS lift 35x12.50's Warn Hubs Pacesetters Flowmaster K&N
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mangonesailor View Post
Now you need a transfer case clocking ring to tuck that puppy up, then make a new skid plate.
You mean just to tuck it up out of the way? Or to correct some other issue I'm overlooking?

'95 EB 5.8L, 35x12.50 BFG's, Yukon/Motive 4.56's, Detroit TrueTrac's Fr & Rr, 6" BDS suspension lift, extended radius arms, steering stabilizer, extended bump stops, extended steel braided brake lines, Warn manual hubs, TRE flip, Redhead steering box, Pacesetters, Flowmaster, K&N
http://www.supermotors.net/registry/27578
post #43 of 77 (permalink) Old 03-26-2016, 07:27 PM Thread Starter

Bronco Info: '95 EB 5.8L 4.56's TrueTracs Fr&Rr 6" BDS lift 35x12.50's Warn Hubs Pacesetters Flowmaster K&N
Garage
Not much of an update, but I recently ordered new bushings for the tailgate latch from JBG, and was surprised to find 4 bushings in the pack instead of two. The extra two looked to be the same length as the door latch bushings and mine were missing from the doors too, so I figured it was worth a try. They seemed to be just slightly too big in diameter. The door would latch but you had to really muscle it to get it back open. I went to the grinder and barely shaved them down just a hair. Back on the truck and they work perfectly now. No more pushing on the tailgate to get the window to go up, no more slamming the passenger side door to get it to latch, and no more rattle from the drivers side latch! And everything lines up GREAT from the outside now. Sometimes it's the small things that make all the difference. My wife will LOVE not having to slam the door.

'95 EB 5.8L, 35x12.50 BFG's, Yukon/Motive 4.56's, Detroit TrueTrac's Fr & Rr, 6" BDS suspension lift, extended radius arms, steering stabilizer, extended bump stops, extended steel braided brake lines, Warn manual hubs, TRE flip, Redhead steering box, Pacesetters, Flowmaster, K&N
post #44 of 77 (permalink) Old 03-26-2016, 09:00 PM

Quote:
You mean just to tuck it up out of the way? Or to correct some other issue I'm overlooking?
To tuck it up out of the way. A new skid plate, and if you want a new trans x-member, would need to be made to have a nice smooth bottom.

I've bottomed mine out on so much crap its not even funny.

-Dustin
'97, 2500 ECSB, 454, 4X4, 0411, full exhaust, 33's. My "I'll-go-wherever-I-want" tool.("Biggin' ")
'95 Bronco XLT 5.0, 3" lift, 33's, with 185k. Junk-hauling deer-retriever.("Dufus") Build thread.
post #45 of 77 (permalink) Old 04-01-2016, 01:58 PM Thread Starter

Garage
Okay, I've been putting this off for too long now...

Here are some before and after photos of some of the work I've been doing lately.

Before...

OLD STUFF: Rough Country 2.5" lift, drop radius arm brackets, blocks lifting the rear, Hecklethorn shocks & stock steering box and pitman arm, 33x12.50 tires, stock 3.55 limited slip differentials (front and rear)

After...

NEW STUFF: BDS 6" suspension lift, BDS springs & shocks, BDS steering stabilizer, BDS extended radius arms, BDS extended bump stops, BDS drop pitman arm, tie rod ends flipped to the top of the knuckle, sway bars off, extended rear steel braided brake line (still waiting for the fronts to come in), 35x12.50 BFG's, Detroit TrueTracs with 4.56 Yukon/Motive gears (front and rear), Fresh vent visors, and seat covers

Coming along nicely!

She drives GREAT after doing the TRE flip and getting a decent alignment!

Next step is to make the "quick disconnect" sway bars. It's not too bad with them off, but I want them back on before I need to tow a trailer again.

post #46 of 77 (permalink) Old 04-01-2016, 11:40 PM

Bronco Info: 1996 XLT, 5.8, 4" RC Lift, Procomp 1069 16x8" Wheels, Toyo MT 285/75R16 Tires
Garage
Looks good TJSmoot
TJSmoot likes this.

Failure is not an Option.
post #47 of 77 (permalink) Old 04-02-2016, 01:38 AM
House of Windsor 4ever!

Bronco Info: 79 Ranchero GT/97 Eddie Bauer Exploder 5.0 AWD
Garage
I noticed on the old TTB RA drop bracket you showed (right side) one bolt was missing. Even with this new lift, you should add 'inspection/service of RA hardware' to your rig's care and feeding. No sense getting laughed at on the trail because an RA bracket gave you more 'drop' than you bargained for. Also, have you serviced/replaced the front axle shaft u-joints?

[Silver70] In 100 years, when astronauts visit the landing site, they'll stumble upon the little FSB rover with a busted driveshaft, twisted up on a moon-rock flexing the SAS, and think, "Man... those things can go anywhere. Screw Jeep."
post #48 of 77 (permalink) Old 04-02-2016, 07:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Handy_andy_cv64 View Post
I noticed on the old TTB RA drop bracket you showed (right side) one bolt was missing. Even with this new lift, you should add 'inspection/service of RA hardware' to your rig's care and feeding.
I have an app on my phone that helps me track maintenance like that. Its called "acar". I track my milage with it too. You can also add maintenance items and edit the month/milage intervals. Pretty neat if anyone else was interested.

TJ, you have me sold on an extended radius arm type kit. I have been curious about how low the arm brackets from the frame were, and how much ground clearance I would lose just for added articulation. I think it'd be just fine.

I still wouldn't mind making a skid plate for under the trans. Besides the t-case thetrans, and its cross member, are the next lowest and exposed ccomponents.

-Dustin
post #49 of 77 (permalink) Old 04-02-2016, 08:29 AM Thread Starter

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Handy_andy_cv64 View Post
I noticed on the old TTB RA drop bracket you showed (right side) one bolt was missing. Even with this new lift, you should add 'inspection/service of RA hardware' to your rig's care and feeding. No sense getting laughed at on the trail because an RA bracket gave you more 'drop' than you bargained for. Also, have you serviced/replaced the front axle shaft u-joints?
There is a story about that bolt... Not very long ago, I was out of state helping a friend move back from across the country and my wife needed to use the Bronco for something. While she was driving, it started overheating. Since I was away, she took it to a local hack of a mechanic. The actual problem was just the thermostat, but they sold her on a new radiator FIRST, then they told her it needed a new thermostat and radius arm bushing too. It did need the radius arm bushing. I already knew this part. Anyway, when I got it back, it was missing a bolt. I took it back and they swore it was like that when they got it, and that it would be fine without it. Whatever. I knew I was getting ready to do the new lift anyway so I didn't worry about replacing it. I did do some (very) light wheeling with it like that and it didn't budge, but obviously that wasn't going to be permanent. They also botched up the radiator job a lot more than I thought it was possible. I had THREE separate clamps that they installed fail from that same job! How in the hell does THAT happen?

And no, I haven't serviced/replaced the front axle shaft u-joints yet. Thanks.

post #50 of 77 (permalink) Old 04-02-2016, 08:35 AM Thread Starter

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mangonesailor View Post
I have an app on my phone that helps me track maintenance like that. Its called "acar". I track my milage with it too. You can also add maintenance items and edit the month/milage intervals. Pretty neat if anyone else was interested.

TJ, you have me sold on an extended radius arm type kit. I have been curious about how low the arm brackets from the frame were, and how much ground clearance I would lose just for added articulation. I think it'd be just fine.

I still wouldn't mind making a skid plate for under the trans. Besides the t-case thetrans, and its cross member, are the next lowest and exposed ccomponents.
I don't think I lost any ground clearance at all with the extended radius arms... might have even gained a little. I lost some clearance with the old drop brackets for the stock radius arms, but the mounts for the BDS extended ones are MUCH more "low profile". The new arms MIGHT sit as low as the old brackets but I definitely don't think they are any lower. (especially if you consider the whole truck also just got lifted more).

post #51 of 77 (permalink) Old 04-02-2016, 08:55 AM Thread Starter

Garage
Also got a 5 1/2" drop receiver and new 2" ball yesterday, so I can actually use my trailer and take the trash to the dump... AND my extended front brake lines arrived. Hope to have them on today.

post #52 of 77 (permalink) Old 04-03-2016, 11:08 AM

Quote:
I don't think I lost any ground clearance at all with the extended radius arms... might have even gained a little. I lost some clearance with the old drop brackets for the stock radius arms, but the mounts for the BDS extended ones are MUCH more "low profile". The new arms MIGHT sit as low as the old brackets but I definitely don't think they are any lower. (especially if you consider the whole truck also just got lifted more).
They seem so. I'm concerned about whenever I will become high centered what will I be stuck on in terms of what is under the vehicle. With those brackets and the radius arm ends the way they are... I think I'll go with them. Eventually. Got to get my house first and all.
TJSmoot likes this.

-Dustin
post #53 of 77 (permalink) Old 04-03-2016, 09:52 PM Thread Starter

Garage
Finally got my extended steel braided front brake lines on yesterday, but not without a fight. I heard that some folks were having to bend the tube out of the way of the bleeder screw, which I did, on both sides... but I didn't realize I was also going to have to file on the mounting block part too. The lip that rests over the edge of the caliper was too thick to allow the hole to line up for the bolt to go in... also on BOTH sides. I really had to file away a good bit of material from the lip of the block, and even filed the caliper down some too to make it fit flush. After MANY test fits, I eventually got rid of enough material for it to fit over the edge without binding up when you tightened the bolt down.

Borrowed my buddy's vacuum bleeder, so that took just minutes and after one pass the pedal was FIRM. I feel like we got lucky there but I'll take it. No leaks anywhere... All is good.

I also cut the little plastic clips off of the old brake lines and used them to make clips to hold the ABS line out of the way. Looks like it should work just fine.

Another thing off the list. Feels real good.

post #54 of 77 (permalink) Old 04-04-2016, 06:43 AM Thread Starter

Garage
Oh yeah, I also had one of my bleeder screws seize up enough that I rounded the head off trying to get it to let go, and another one was clogged up beyond all hope, so I replaced the two of them with new bleeder screws and also bought a couple spares for when I need them next time.

post #55 of 77 (permalink) Old 04-04-2016, 11:38 AM

Bronco Info: 1981 Bronco XLT Ranger go fast w/ LS3 power, TH400, Atlas II, Raceline beadlocks, BFG KM1s
nice upgrades for sure. Where are those seat covers from? They are probably the nicest i've seen yet
TJSmoot likes this.

1981 Baby Blue Bronco built to go fast in the sand
LS3 480hp w/ reverse manual TH400
Atlas II 2.0 x-case
Full cromoly cage w/ racing seats
Raceline Monster beadlocks on 35" BFG KM1's
post #56 of 77 (permalink) Old 04-04-2016, 12:31 PM

Quote:
Oh yeah, I also had one of my bleeder screws seize up enough that I rounded the head off trying to get it to let go, and another one was clogged up beyond all hope, so I replaced the two of them with new bleeder screws and also bought a couple spares for when I need them next time.
That reminds me... I really really need to change the brake fluid in the trucks.

-Dustin
post #57 of 77 (permalink) Old 04-04-2016, 03:49 PM Thread Starter

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by black954 View Post
nice upgrades for sure. Where are those seat covers from? They are probably the nicest i've seen yet
The brand is called Pro Elite, and I believe the style is "Princeton". They were like $30 from Auto Zone, I think. The last cheap set I got from there also looked great and lasted me for almost 14 years! When I took them off my original seats still looked PERFECT underneath. So I figured lets see if these will last another 14! I am very happy with them, especially considering the price.

post #58 of 77 (permalink) Old 04-04-2016, 03:52 PM Thread Starter

Garage
By the way, what size bleeder screws came on these trucks? Mine had 3/8" heads on them but the computer at the auto parts store said it should have had 7/16"... I bought the ones that looked right (3/8") as opposed to what the computer recommended and they worked just fine.

post #59 of 77 (permalink) Old 04-12-2016, 03:29 PM Thread Starter

Garage
So right before I started all these upgrades I did one other small upgrade that I was never satisfied with... I replaced the inside window run channel on my drivers side and the clips on the replacement would never quite reach, and my new run channel would pop up every time I closed the door. Which is the whole reason I replaced it in the first place... my old clips were broken. Anyway, I decided to take the door off and fix it for good. I drilled a small hole and just screwed the run channel to the inside door panel. Problem solved. Headache gone.

While I had the door panel off, I figured it was a good time to snap some pictures of my recent Audio overhaul. I replaced and significantly upgraded EVERYTHING... all the way down to the heavy gauge speaker wires.

Kenwood Excelon head unit.

JL Audio C3 components 5.25's up front (Crossovers hidden in the kick panels)

JL Audio C2 5x7's in the rear.

JL Audio MHD900/5 (500x1 + 100x4) Marine amp powering everything.

JL Audio 12W6 in a SMALL sealed JL Audio box.

Sounds GREAT now! And I LOVE having Bluetooth and being able to stream music from my phone now, and the hands free phone calls when I'm driving (head unit also came with a mic). But I really should have probably done some type of sound deadening everywhere first. Oh well, I'll save that one for another day.

post #60 of 77 (permalink) Old 05-11-2016, 09:49 PM Thread Starter

Garage
Got my new full size (35x12.50) spare and new wheel in and mounted up today! My old one was SHOT... and too small.

14 yr old 33x10.50 spare, stock wheel vs. new 35x12.50 spare, 15x10 wheel

I thought I might have to modify the carrier a little because of the wider tire, but because of the offset it actually fit better! The 33x10.50 on the stock wheel was touching the carrier.

Now I need to finish polishing up the rest of the old wheels.

Ford Bronco Forum > Other Forums > General Discussion/ Bronco and Wheeling related.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Bronco Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself. DO NOT USE Gmail.com accounts. If you only have a Gmail.com email please contact the administrator here

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode