Due for a few upgrades. - Ford Bronco Forum
 5Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 77 (permalink) Old 02-17-2016, 11:41 PM Thread Starter

Bronco Info: '95 EB 5.8L 4.56's TrueTracs Fr&Rr 6" BDS lift 35x12.50's Warn Hubs Pacesetters Flowmaster K&N
Garage
Due for a few upgrades.

Got my '95 EB in 2002, bone stock with 80K and immediately installed a Rough Country 2.5" lift and 33's... She has sat like that since then, and has been riding around with burnt clutches in the Traclok for the past year, so she was in need of some lovin'. So I decided it's time to get serious and start this project I have wanted to do since I first got it.

For my first round of upgrades (which started yesterday) I'm planning on installing Yukon/Motive 4.56's, Detroit TrueTracs in the front and rear, a BDS 6" lift with extended radius arms, steering stabilizer, sway bar drop brackets, new lifted leafs (no blocks), 35" BFG's, and powder coating my oxidized aftermarket wheels, spare carrier, and maybe even my bumpers all black!

Let me know what your opinions on powder coating the bumpers black. I have a cousin who owns the powder coating shop so I get it done for next to nothing, and my chrome is starting to show through pretty bad on my bumper... So I thought what the heck, while I'm doing the wheels, and spare carrier, why not?

After this I can start saving for the next round... Hopefully Intake, Heads, Headers, Y-pipe/cat, along with fixing the slight rear main and oil pan leaks.

The 4.56 gears and TrueTracs are officially in now. Just waiting for my lift to get here for the next step.

This should be fun!

'95 EB 5.8L, 35x12.50 BFG's, Yukon/Motive 4.56's, Detroit TrueTrac's Fr & Rr, 6" BDS suspension lift, extended radius arms, steering stabilizer, extended bump stops, extended steel braided brake lines, Warn manual hubs, TRE flip, Redhead steering box, Pacesetters, Flowmaster, K&N
http://www.supermotors.net/registry/27578
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 77 (permalink) Old 02-18-2016, 06:32 PM
FSM Lifetime

Bronco Info: 1996 EB Bronco 5.8, E4OD, BW1356 Transfercase, 6 inch BDS Lift w/Procomp Leafs, 200,010Miles
I'd go paint instead of powder coat.
Powder coating can chip, crack or peal. Than its hard to touch up.
Paint does that and it's cheap and easy to touch up.

Otherwise you got a good game plan setup for her.
post #3 of 77 (permalink) Old 02-19-2016, 06:53 AM Thread Starter

Bronco Info: '95 EB 5.8L 4.56's TrueTracs Fr&Rr 6" BDS lift 35x12.50's Warn Hubs Pacesetters Flowmaster K&N
Garage
I thought about that but I am a terrible painter and I can get the powder coating done for almost free. Thought it might actually be easier to re-blast and re-coat it if it starts chipping than to paint in my situation. The other thing is that in my long term plan I hope to replace it with an aftermarket or custom made bumper anyway.

Thanks for the advice though!

'95 EB 5.8L, 35x12.50 BFG's, Yukon/Motive 4.56's, Detroit TrueTrac's Fr & Rr, 6" BDS suspension lift, extended radius arms, steering stabilizer, extended bump stops, extended steel braided brake lines, Warn manual hubs, TRE flip, Redhead steering box, Pacesetters, Flowmaster, K&N
post #4 of 77 (permalink) Old 02-22-2016, 06:43 PM Thread Starter

Garage
A bunch of folks have questioned why I would powder coat the chrome bumpers black on a burgundy & tan EB, saying that it won't look right with the chrome trim. I was only doing it because the chrome is starting to look bad and I figured new black powder coat would look better than old faded chrome... even on a B&T EB (and I get a steal of a deal on PC-ing). Does anyone else think it would be a huge mistake to powder coat them black (with matching black wheels)? I can always replace them later with new chrome bumpers or aftermarket "off-road" style bumpers (which is my long term plan anyways). If anyone has any photos of B&T broncos with black bumpers and/or wheels, feel free to post them! Thanks.

post #5 of 77 (permalink) Old 02-22-2016, 07:15 PM

Bronco Info: 1984 bronco, 1995 roller motor w/ carb.
Garage
blacking out old chrome seems like an option to me. Chroming is getting pretty dang expensive.
post #6 of 77 (permalink) Old 02-23-2016, 11:07 AM Thread Starter

Garage
Some have said that the chrome trim on the grill, headlight lights, door handles, mirrors, & fenders will clash with the black bumpers. I think it will look fine. If not, I guess I can start replacing all that stuff with black too.

post #7 of 77 (permalink) Old 02-23-2016, 04:22 PM

Bronco Info: 78 Bronco Custom 400m project stalled and 96 Bronco XLT
It's all a matter of opinion on how something looks but IMHO I think black bumpers on a burgundy and tan Bronco wouldn't look that great. I would powder coat though as it definitely holds up better than paint, when done right, in my experience. I think I read in the guy who just got FOTM's build thread that he powder coated his bumpers and many other parts a chrome like color. Check out his rig and build thread. It looks great and, again in my opinion, would look better with your color combo. Just my $.02.

96 Bronco XLT 5.8L w/ Bassani headers, Y pipe, full stainless 3" exhaust, 6" lift, 3" body lift, 38" Toyo MT's on 16" Mickey Thompson wheels, and 78 Bronco Custom 400M that needs a lot of work
post #8 of 77 (permalink) Old 02-23-2016, 05:38 PM

Bronco Info: 1996 EB 2.5" RC lift, 33x12.50 Duratracs
You could use Plastidip first to see if you like it. If you dont, you just peel it off and its back to the original look. If you really do like, then you know you can spend the money to get it coated and wont regret it.
post #9 of 77 (permalink) Old 02-23-2016, 10:38 PM Thread Starter

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bronco Fan78 View Post
It's all a matter of opinion on how something looks but IMHO I think black bumpers on a burgundy and tan Bronco wouldn't look that great. I would powder coat though as it definitely holds up better than paint, when done right, in my experience. I think I read in the guy who just got FOTM's build thread that he powder coated his bumpers and many other parts a chrome like color. Check out his rig and build thread. It looks great and, again in my opinion, would look better with your color combo. Just my $.02.
Which build thread are you referring to? I looked though the one I thought you were talking about but didn't see anything on a chrome like powder coating. I went kinda fast though, so maybe I missed it. I think I prefer the stock bumpers in chrome too but I figured "new black" would look better than "faded chrome" for now until I either replace them with new stock style chrome bumpers, or a winch style black bumper. It's only gonna cost me $200 to get the 5 wheels, the spare tire carrier, and both bumpers all professionally blasted and powder coated. I'm trying not to let a "good deal" persuade me to do something I wouldn't normally do, but it's hard to beat that price and otherwise it will be A WHILE (saving $$$) before I get around to upgrading the bumpers again. Still not 100% sure which way I will go, but I hope to decide by the 4th because that is when I'm taking (at least) the wheels, and spare tire carrier to the shop.

post #10 of 77 (permalink) Old 02-23-2016, 10:42 PM Thread Starter

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by jesykes View Post
You could use Plastidip first to see if you like it. If you dont, you just peel it off and its back to the original look. If you really do like, then you know you can spend the money to get it coated and wont regret it.
That is a really good idea. But sadly, I doubt my own skills with a spray can so much that I probably won't even try it. And I'm not sure I'd have time between now and the 4th to do it anyway.

post #11 of 77 (permalink) Old 02-23-2016, 11:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TJSmoot View Post
That is a really good idea. But sadly, I doubt my own skills with a spray can so much that I probably won't even try it. And I'm not sure I'd have time between now and the 4th to do it anyway.
Thats the beauty of the Plastidip. You dont have to be good at it for what you're doing.

You just need to get a coat on so its black. Then you can see if you like the look. If you dont and you were terrible at applying it, just peel it off.

If you do like it, then it doesnt matter if its good or not either, just peel it off and powder coat it.

Its basically a waste of the few bucks for the dip cause you're going to peel it off either way, but if you dont like it, it will be money well spent before doing something permanent like powder coating it.

Also, any overspray on anything can just be peeled off.

Waiting to see the final results though. I have a 2.5 RC lift on mine with 33s and want to see how yours turns out cause I'm thinking of doing the same down the road and going 4" w/ 35s.
post #12 of 77 (permalink) Old 02-24-2016, 12:08 AM
FSM Lifetime

Bronco Info: 1978 Round headlight, 351M,C6, 9", 44/1991, 445 FE, t19, 205, Dana 60/70, MAF, Moet's
Garage
Chrome powder is called silver vein, not really chrome per say more like aluminum kinda. I had my car hauler hardware done in that color not very durable though.
post #13 of 77 (permalink) Old 02-24-2016, 06:33 AM Thread Starter

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by 445 FE Bronco View Post
Chrome powder is called silver vein, not really chrome per say more like aluminum kinda. I had my car hauler hardware done in that color not very durable though.
Thanks for the heads up. That's kinda what I thought he was talking about. Not really the look I'm going for though.

Still leaning towards the black PC for now, and replacing them with aftermarket ones down the road. But who knows what I'll decide in the end?

Everyone's comments have been helpful. Thanks!

post #14 of 77 (permalink) Old 02-24-2016, 04:36 PM

Bronco Info: 78 Bronco Custom 400m project stalled and 96 Bronco XLT
78' Bronco Build, What a Mess!

Post 682 in his build thread is where raleigh talked about the 2 stage powder coating. I don't know anything about it but it looks good in his pics. Maybe try to PM him and see if you could get some more info.

By the way, I like your burgundy tan color combo, I believe they called that toreador red, and am looking forward to seeing some pictures of all this work your about to do. Back in the day I had an F-150 with 35's and 4.56 gears. It is a great combo.
TJSmoot likes this.

96 Bronco XLT 5.8L w/ Bassani headers, Y pipe, full stainless 3" exhaust, 6" lift, 3" body lift, 38" Toyo MT's on 16" Mickey Thompson wheels, and 78 Bronco Custom 400M that needs a lot of work
post #15 of 77 (permalink) Old 02-24-2016, 05:48 PM Thread Starter

Garage
Quote:
Thats the beauty of the Plastidip. You dont have to be good at it for what you're doing.

You just need to get a coat on so its black. Then you can see if you like the look. If you dont and you were terrible at applying it, just peel it off.

If you do like it, then it doesnt matter if its good or not either, just peel it off and powder coat it.

Its basically a waste of the few bucks for the dip cause you're going to peel it off either way, but if you dont like it, it will be money well spent before doing something permanent like powder coating it.

Also, any overspray on anything can just be peeled off.

Waiting to see the final results though. I have a 2.5 RC lift on mine with 33s and want to see how yours turns out cause I'm thinking of doing the same down the road and going 4" w/ 35s.
It really is a good idea. Only a few bucks wasted, and I've been curious to try the stuff out on some other things anyway. I just doubt I'm going to have time to try it before the 4th. I'm sure I could reschedule the powder coating date, but I hate to do that when I'm getting such a deal. If I had the time I'd definitely try it, but I think my schedule is just too packed with everything else I've got going on. It's my DD, so it can't be "down" very long at a time. That's what makes scheduling everything tricky.

I have liked my RC 2.5" lift. It kept me satisfied for 14 YEARS. That seems pretty good to me. But the springs and shocks are all shot now and the tires are like 9 years old and need replacing, so I figured now is the time! My vehicle philosophy is, I TRY not to just replace parts for no reason, but if something NEEDS replacing, and can be upgraded... might as well right?

post #16 of 77 (permalink) Old 02-25-2016, 04:22 PM

Sounds like you have it planned out. I'm glad you liked the lift, hopefully it will keep me satisfied (and the Bronco lasts) as long as yours did. It already requires money as a 20 year old vehicle, so no sense spending on money that you dont need to.

Good luck with the project, looking forward to seeing the "after."
post #17 of 77 (permalink) Old 02-25-2016, 06:20 PM Thread Starter

Garage
Quote:
Good luck with the project, looking forward to seeing the "after."
Thanks. Me too!

post #18 of 77 (permalink) Old 02-25-2016, 07:55 PM Thread Starter

Garage
Quick BAD photoshop comparison...

Thoughts? Opinions? Preferences?

It wouldn't be my FIRST pick, but I still think it might look better than the faded chrome... Still VERY indecisive though!

post #19 of 77 (permalink) Old 02-25-2016, 07:57 PM Thread Starter

Garage
Wow, I didn't think they would be so BIG, and some how the last one wasn't the one I meant to post but you get the idea.

post #20 of 77 (permalink) Old 02-25-2016, 08:07 PM
FSM Lifetime

Bronco Info: 1978 Round headlight, 351M,C6, 9", 44/1991, 445 FE, t19, 205, Dana 60/70, MAF, Moet's
Garage
Definitely chrome.

Ford Bronco Forum > Other Forums > General Discussion/ Bronco and Wheeling related.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Bronco Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself. DO NOT USE Gmail.com accounts. If you only have a Gmail.com email please contact the administrator here

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode