Bronco leaks - Ford Bronco Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 5 (permalink) Old 05-25-2016, 09:10 PM Thread Starter

Bronco leaks

My bronco leaks water where the back window and corner weather stripping meet, the bottom corners that is. The weather stripping has all been replaced but water seems to sneak around the bottom of the window sides and the corner block piece of weather stripping. I have had multiple people look at it and no one can fix it completely. It is better but not perfect. Money is no question, just want it perfect. Seems like a design flaw to me.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 (permalink) Old 05-26-2016, 01:09 PM
House of Windsor 4ever!

Bronco Info: 79 Ranchero GT/97 Eddie Bauer Exploder 5.0 AWD
Garage
When I replaced the T/G regulator I had bought a new felt, but the rubber pieces, when installed, weren't doing a good job keeping the water out of the tailgate. So I broke out the soap and water, thoroughly cleaned the rubber pieces and the T/G shell near them, then sealed them to the shell and the new felt with black RTV silicone. After that, the water was very minimal, but I still got a little seepage around the inner cover. So I used some camper tape and a piece of thick plastic sheet cut to fit the opening, and installed them to seal the cover. No more internal leaks. Last thing I did after that was put 5 pounds of quick lime (dolomite lime) in a sack and put it inside the back. In a few days, the carpeting and underlay mat were fairly dried out.

[Silver70] In 100 years, when astronauts visit the landing site, they'll stumble upon the little FSB rover with a busted driveshaft, twisted up on a moon-rock flexing the SAS, and think, "Man... those things can go anywhere. Screw Jeep."
post #3 of 5 (permalink) Old 05-26-2016, 01:34 PM
Harley's & Bronco's FTW!

Bronco Info: '95 XLT, 5.8/E4OD/MassAir/6" lift/4.56's/35x12.5 BFG AT-KO2
Garage
are you sure that's where it's getting in or are you assuming?
I ask because there's a little known issue about the paper inside the tailgate. If the paper is removed from the tailgate (as so often happens when people want to access the window or motor) then rain water can actually get into the rear end through the gate and soak the carpet right at the back.

"When life throws you a curve... LEAN INTO IT!"

SuperMotors - Since 2002
post #4 of 5 (permalink) Old 05-26-2016, 03:54 PM

Bronco Info: 96 Bronco XL 5.0 E4OD, Man Xfer/Hubs
Garage
Yo,
I clean the WS and then apply baby powder to all seals; then do a hose job starting from bottom, because the Threshold seal lets water come up & inside the TG/floor pan @ speed due to aerodynamic issues

See my partially recovered Bronco web site ...Will need to clean up dead links & add many more new links some day. Thanks to Mr. Schwim!
THANKS to ALL WHO SERVE!
post #5 of 5 (permalink) Old 05-26-2016, 10:26 PM Thread Starter

I have checked and made sure, the water is coming in around the bottom of the window where the window and corner block weather stripping is. The water just works it's way through. The weather stripping over the top of the window stops about an inch from the tailgate and that's where it gets in.. think custom longer weather stripping that go's all the way to the tailgate would help? Wouldn't be factory but factory doesn't seem to be working

Was even thinking of going to a soft top because it has an over hang that covers that hole gap

The hole back doesn't get wet, it's just the back corners

Last edited by BikerPepe`; 05-26-2016 at 11:47 PM. Reason: posts within minutes of each other... pad

Ford Bronco Forum > Other Forums > General Discussion/ Bronco and Wheeling related.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Bronco Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself. DO NOT USE Gmail.com accounts. If you only have a Gmail.com email please contact the administrator here

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode