"RailRoad Runner" My new project - Page 3 - Ford Bronco Forum
 55Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #41 of 131 (permalink) Old 10-28-2016, 07:05 PM

Bronco Info: 1979 bronco,351m C6 np 205,4inch lift, 33 bfg
[QUOTE=BioTex;6252825]Marc,
That white rim came off of a Jeep CJ with drum front brakes. I have three of them. The bolt pattern luckily fit the bronco, but the disk brakes on the Bronco wouldn't let me tighten the rim down all the way. I left the lug nuts loose and winched it onto the trailer like that. I admit I was too lazy to swap a rear good rim to the front and then put the front CJ rim onto the rear.

Thanks for the information on the rim, I've always liked wide stock style rims.
marc
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #42 of 131 (permalink) Old 10-28-2016, 08:50 PM Thread Starter

Bronco Info: 1995 Bronco
I'm thinking since all the glass was busted out and it sat for at lease a couple of years that way, I should take out the molded vinyl flooring to inspect for rust. The flooring is not torn or worn and would like to save it if possible. I want to pressure wash it etc...

Can I remove it without tearing it all apart, and what about the backing. Is it glued down and going to destroy it?

Edit: I spent the entire evening cleaning out glass shards. The interior is really not as bad as I thought. Looks like just get a key made somehow and install a new battery. Maybe pull the gas tank and inspect/clean. New glass and i'll have a driver.

“A veteran is someone who, at one point in his life wrote a blank check made payable to ‘The United States of America ‘ for an amount of ‘up to and including his life.’ That is Honor, and there are way too many people in this country who no longer understand it.”
post #43 of 131 (permalink) Old 10-28-2016, 09:04 PM
Engineer

Bronco Info: 95 Eddie Bauer
Nice looking Bronco. I like the color. That should be a good project.

1995 Ford Bronco Eddie Bauer 351W 2.5" RC Front Lift. JBG 3" Rear Springs. 17" M/T Classic III's and 285/70/17 Toyo Open Country A/T II, 4.56 gears trac-loc f/r. Street Toy
post #44 of 131 (permalink) Old 10-29-2016, 12:46 AM
House of Windsor 4ever!

Bronco Info: 79 Ranchero GT/97 Eddie Bauer Exploder 5.0 AWD
Garage
I don't ever recall Ford gluing the rubber mats down. Having said that, remove the rocker trim, seats and kick panels, and it should lift up. It'll give you a chance to verify the condition of the floorpan under the seats, address any rust that may be lurking. And, Hy-Goat it is!

[Silver70] In 100 years, when astronauts visit the landing site, they'll stumble upon the little FSB rover with a busted driveshaft, twisted up on a moon-rock flexing the SAS, and think, "Man... those things can go anywhere. Screw Jeep."
post #45 of 131 (permalink) Old 10-30-2016, 06:29 AM Thread Starter

So I started taking the flooring out to see what condition the floors were in. Got to love the dry desert air. Even with no glass the metal is pristine.

“A veteran is someone who, at one point in his life wrote a blank check made payable to ‘The United States of America ‘ for an amount of ‘up to and including his life.’ That is Honor, and there are way too many people in this country who no longer understand it.”
post #46 of 131 (permalink) Old 10-30-2016, 06:31 AM Thread Starter

So then I took the dash apart so I could clean out the dust inside the cluster. Here it is all cleaned and back together.

post #47 of 131 (permalink) Old 10-30-2016, 06:32 AM Thread Starter

pressure washed the flooring.

post #48 of 131 (permalink) Old 10-30-2016, 11:30 AM
House of Windsor 4ever!

Garage
Izzat a Cornbinder you have that mat resting on? Oh, and I was pleasantly surprised the floors were in great shape myself. Was there any water damage behind the dash? Say, to the computer?

[Silver70] In 100 years, when astronauts visit the landing site, they'll stumble upon the little FSB rover with a busted driveshaft, twisted up on a moon-rock flexing the SAS, and think, "Man... those things can go anywhere. Screw Jeep."
post #49 of 131 (permalink) Old 10-31-2016, 11:08 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Handy_andy_cv64 View Post
Izzat a Cornbinder you have that mat resting on? Oh, and I was pleasantly surprised the floors were in great shape myself. Was there any water damage behind the dash? Say, to the computer?
Not that I can tell. I haven't started the engine yet though... Still need a key. Still waiting for the comptroller to find it. They are still looking for it and all hope is not yet lost.

That is an old International yes. I have another one in my man cave on the lift. I'm building a rock crawler out of it. An 800 model. Am putting in a SBC with 1 ton axles. There is a build on it on the Binder Bench forum. It's on the first page, same logon id. I have a weakness for old scouts.

post #50 of 131 (permalink) Old 10-31-2016, 01:42 PM
No avatar required

Bronco Info: Mods don't have Broncos silly
Quote:
The rims are hy-rail style wheels for railroad use only. You really do not want those even for normal driving since the hy-rail gear is gone; the gear really lowered the center of gravity. Since I'm a train aficionado, I was hoping the former railroad had plastered their name and corporate symbol on the doors, but no. But, if you paint the fenders that dark green Pullman used on their old heavyweight sleeper cars ('Pullman Green') and stick on a couple old Great Northern Railway 'goat' emblems, it'd be really cool! Well, at least to me it would....
They are likely 19.5" rims too depending on the gear. They narrow the track width of the vehicle so to contact the track better. I am assigned to one of Class 1 railroads for their fleet management.

Which railroad did it belong too? It looks clean for a RR vehicle.
rescued78projectTX likes this.

95 XLT Stock
post #51 of 131 (permalink) Old 10-31-2016, 04:19 PM
House of Windsor 4ever!

Garage
With the special wheels and tires, they do have to have taller axle gears, correct?

post #52 of 131 (permalink) Old 11-01-2016, 01:16 PM
No avatar required

Bronco Info: Mods don't have Broncos silly
Quote:
With the special wheels and tires, they do have to have taller axle gears, correct?
Most are stock, the LD trucks are typically ordered with 4.10 gears with 225/75R19.5 tires which is only about an inch taller than stock in most cases.

95 XLT Stock
post #53 of 131 (permalink) Old 11-01-2016, 03:15 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by bnkrtstk View Post
They are likely 19.5" rims too depending on the gear. They narrow the track width of the vehicle so to contact the track better. I am assigned to one of Class 1 railroads for their fleet management.

Which railroad did it belong too? It looks clean for a RR vehicle.
The Rims are 16.5" and the bronco belonged to Texas Pacifico Transportation in San Angelo, TX

Yes the track was narrowed, and I thikg the control arm is not OEM because of it. Looks like it has a bend to it so the front wheel doesn't hit it in a tight turn. I could be wrong though. Oh, and the sway bar link also has a bend.

post #54 of 131 (permalink) Old 11-01-2016, 10:53 PM
House of Windsor 4ever!

Garage
And the front wheels don't look pigeon-toed?

post #55 of 131 (permalink) Old 11-02-2016, 01:31 PM
Redneck Engineer

Bronco Info: 79 Bronco Ranger XLT C6 35's
Great looking BKO and cool story. I was going to ask what the mileage was but saw the dash pic. I guess you won't know that till you get a key. Look forward to hearing more about it!
post #56 of 131 (permalink) Old 11-02-2016, 01:48 PM
House of Windsor 4ever!

Garage
Since the interior is apart, you could remove the coumn shrouds and remove the ignition electrical switch. This would allow you to manually activate the truck and start the engine. It's what I would do, absent a key.

post #57 of 131 (permalink) Old 11-02-2016, 03:29 PM
FSM Lifetime

Bronco Info: 1978 Round headlight, 351M,C6, 9", 44/1991, 445 FE, t19, 205, Dana 60/70, MAF, Moet's
Garage
Unlocking the column is just a Big PITA, had to take em apart many times to get the cylinder out. My 68 pickup was Rock Island stuff with bogies on it, had to change the wheels is all as it was strait axle wide gauge track. Saw some narrow gauge coverted stuff and that was really hacked up but thats really old stuff. I bet they put some hefty parts in your truck like springs and such, kinda like military mods they overbuild everything. My truck had bumpers made of mainline tall rail when i got it, ridiculous heavy.
post #58 of 131 (permalink) Old 11-02-2016, 04:12 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Since the interior is apart, you could remove the coumn shrouds and remove the ignition electrical switch. This would allow you to manually activate the truck and start the engine. It's what I would do, absent a key.
I did turn the engine over by jumpering across the solonoid. She turns over nice. Suppsed to get together with a buddy tonight who claims to have all the glass and lights I need stashed away. he's going to sell them to me cheap I hope. Will possibly have the old lock out of the column this week end.

post #59 of 131 (permalink) Old 11-02-2016, 09:08 PM
Resident Nice Guy

Bronco Info: 1979 Ranger XLT, 351m, 4 speed
Garage
Just found this image over on another forum I frequent and thought I'd share one your Broncos long lost relatives:

This is my signature. There are many like it, but this one is mine.
My signature is my best friend. It is my life. I must master it as I must master my life.

Schwim! A social site with an identity crisis.
post #60 of 131 (permalink) Old 11-03-2016, 12:04 AM
House of Windsor 4ever!

Garage
I didn't think any of the Texas shortlines had snow....

Anyway, what I was talking about was not the ignition lock at all. I'm talking about the electrical switch underneath the lower shroud, and it's held on with one Torx screw. Remove the lower shroud, remove the screw, and the switch will come off the bottom. This will allow you to energize the elecrical system and actually start the engine.

Ford Bronco Forum > Other Forums > General Discussion/ Bronco and Wheeling related.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Bronco Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself. DO NOT USE Gmail.com accounts. If you only have a Gmail.com email please contact the administrator here

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode