"RailRoad Runner" My new project - Page 5 - Ford Bronco Forum
 55Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #81 of 131 (permalink) Old 11-14-2016, 08:02 PM

Bronco Info: '96 Black 302 XLT - '94 Green 351 E. B. both are E4OD, 3.55 axles, 31 10.50x15
If you have doubts about the fuel pump or sender, cut an access hole now. Then if you have to go back to it, you won't have to drop the tank.

1983 Ford Bronco Bronco Fuel Pump Access Hole pictures, videos, and sounds | SuperMotors.net

"The simplest solution is usually the best solution" - Occam's Razor

"The significant problems we face cannot be solved at the same level of thinking we were at when we created them." - Albert Einstein
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #82 of 131 (permalink) Old 11-14-2016, 11:49 PM
House of Windsor 4ever!

Bronco Info: 79 Ranchero GT/97 Eddie Bauer Exploder 5.0 AWD
Garage
I agree. And, with how nasty it was in there, the possibility of something going wrong with the sender was a lot higher. Have you had a chance to check the diff fluids and the t-case? Pull the wheels, inspect the brakes?

[Silver70] In 100 years, when astronauts visit the landing site, they'll stumble upon the little FSB rover with a busted driveshaft, twisted up on a moon-rock flexing the SAS, and think, "Man... those things can go anywhere. Screw Jeep."
post #83 of 131 (permalink) Old 11-15-2016, 04:31 PM Thread Starter

Bronco Info: 1995 Bronco
Quote:
Originally Posted by Handy_andy_cv64 View Post
I agree. And, with how nasty it was in there, the possibility of something going wrong with the sender was a lot higher. Have you had a chance to check the diff fluids and the t-case? Pull the wheels, inspect the brakes?
Yup, Access Hole on this one makes a lot of good sense. Thanks for the heads up.

No I have not gotten to the fluids yet. Want to know the engine condition before I spend too much more. I should not have ordered the glass and lenses in all honesty. I just can't help myself sometimes.

Oh well, I only have around $750 invested so far. Worth rebuilding the engine if I have to. I do all my own valve jobs, and I have a hot tank washer in my shop so I could easily freshen it up for a couple hundred.

“A veteran is someone who, at one point in his life wrote a blank check made payable to ‘The United States of America ‘ for an amount of ‘up to and including his life.’ That is Honor, and there are way too many people in this country who no longer understand it.”
post #84 of 131 (permalink) Old 11-15-2016, 05:28 PM
House of Windsor 4ever!

Garage
Even with all those miles, if the frame and body are not overstressed and rusted, it's worth it. You can do pretty much what you want.

[Silver70] In 100 years, when astronauts visit the landing site, they'll stumble upon the little FSB rover with a busted driveshaft, twisted up on a moon-rock flexing the SAS, and think, "Man... those things can go anywhere. Screw Jeep."
post #85 of 131 (permalink) Old 11-15-2016, 07:23 PM
Age. Fac ut gaudeam

Bronco Info: 1993 Ford F-150 Custom 5.8/E4OD
I love it!

1996 Ford Bronco Eddie Bauer 5.8/E4OD EFI
1993 Ford F-150 Custom 5.8/E4OD EFI
1993 Ford F-150 XLT 5.0/E4OD EFI
1979 Ford F-150 Custom 5.0/4speed
2008 Jeep Liberty 3.7/42r
post #86 of 131 (permalink) Old 11-19-2016, 07:15 PM Thread Starter

Made some nice progress today. My replacement front light set came in so I decided to tackle that bit of tedious work first. If you have been unlucky enough to have to replace the headlight lenses, you know what I went through trying to get those little clips off the adjusting screws. I ended up taking off the front nose piece completely and working with lots of room to spare finally. I got them installed and then I went on to reinstalling the gas tank.

I put in a new Airtec pump and a brass float. Installed the sender that I had previously overhauled and since it tested good ohms, I went with it. After the tank was in, I poured five gallons of fresh gas in. I hooked up my fuel pressure gauge and set in the battery. I cranked on the engine and sure enough I got pressure. Wasn't even a full second later she coughed. I knew then that she was going to run, and sure enough she finally caught on and ran. A bit rough at first, but that's to be expected with all that bad gas that was in the lines and injectors.

I had good oil pressure so I let the engine warm up. Wasn't long and she was purring. No smoke, but lots of moisture out of the tail pipe. After the temp came on up, I put her in gear, and that's when my heart sank. The truck wouldn't move in 2H. It would make a ratcheting noise that first made me think the tranny was shot, but then I shifted to 4H and she rolls and shifts. Still can't get her to move in 2H. Only 4H and 4L work. The truck rolls with the hubs unlocked in 4H so I'm on here looking for some help. What say you guru's?

“A veteran is someone who, at one point in his life wrote a blank check made payable to ‘The United States of America ‘ for an amount of ‘up to and including his life.’ That is Honor, and there are way too many people in this country who no longer understand it.”
post #87 of 131 (permalink) Old 11-20-2016, 09:33 AM Thread Starter

I noticed that the two hard plastic vacuum lines that run to the coffee can looking vacuum storage tank are both broken. I will be repairing them today, don't suppose that would have anything to do with the transfer case not shifting properly?

post #88 of 131 (permalink) Old 11-20-2016, 07:47 PM
FSM Lifetime

Bronco Info: 1996 5.0L Automatic Bronco XLT
Does the rear driveshaft spin? If it does it sounds like you have a blown rear. If it doesn't it sounds like a T-case issue.

Built not Bought
post #89 of 131 (permalink) Old 11-21-2016, 12:53 AM
House of Windsor 4ever!

Garage
The t-case has no vacuum operation I know of. Electric or manual shift?

post #90 of 131 (permalink) Old 11-21-2016, 12:29 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by BroncoJoe96 View Post
Does the rear driveshaft spin? If it does it sounds like you have a blown rear. If it doesn't it sounds like a T-case issue.
Yes it does spin.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Handy_andy_cv64 View Post
The t-case has no vacuum operation I know of. Electric or manual shift?
Manual Shift.

Thanks for the suggestions, but I think I found the problem.

The truck had been sitting so long, it was just really really very hard for me to get the transfer case into 2H. It was sticking in neutral and would go half way into 2H but not all the way.
I finally got her to loosen up and now she shifts and I went for a drive. The truck runs very well and she shifts nicely too. I feel confident enough now I can put some more money into things like fluid changes and interior parts. I need a new dash pad for one. A center console would be nice to have.

I may remove the hard top and install a soft one, but will have to price them out and see first.
79BroncoSpringTx likes this.

post #91 of 131 (permalink) Old 11-21-2016, 04:07 PM
House of Windsor 4ever!

Garage
That's good to hear. When I had Eddie, every 2 weeks, I'd go find a dirt patch, and exercise the t-case. At first, it had problems, but after the second run, it was much better. However, that didn't help protect it when I hit bare pavement while driving on compact snow and lost 4HI. 2HI worked, just not 4HI.

post #92 of 131 (permalink) Old 11-30-2016, 06:16 PM Thread Starter

Ran into a snag. Could use your help.
I went to install the new grill, and it seems that the lower portion rests in some sort of a clip. There are two of them and they are missing. The grille reinforcement support has two square holes that must contain clips that allow the grill to set in and hold in place.
Please tell me where to get these clips. I don't see them listed anywhere.

post #93 of 131 (permalink) Old 11-30-2016, 07:12 PM
Resident Nice Guy

Bronco Info: 1979 Ranger XLT, 351m, 4 speed
Garage
Heya BioTex!

I'm having a problem remembering what they look like but I've used this site in the past to figure out what fasteners I needed for a particular application.

If you happen to have any clips left, a pic might help.

This is my signature. There are many like it, but this one is mine.
My signature is my best friend. It is my life. I must master it as I must master my life.

Schwim! A social site with an identity crisis.
post #94 of 131 (permalink) Old 12-01-2016, 03:31 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by schwim View Post
Heya BioTex!

I'm having a problem remembering what they look like but I've used this site in the past to figure out what fasteners I needed for a particular application.

If you happen to have any clips left, a pic might help.
Unfortunately the clips are completely missing so I have nothing to go by.
In my looking online, I ran across that website you linked and I did not find them on there.
If no one on here knows of a source, then I will try my friend who has a salvage truck.

post #95 of 131 (permalink) Old 12-01-2016, 11:40 PM
House of Windsor 4ever!

Garage
Go that route, even if for no other reason than to get a pic so you can hit up that website or others (I use Fastenal simply because they have a brick-and-mortar store nearby) to source new clips. How's the other work coming along?

post #96 of 131 (permalink) Old 12-02-2016, 01:44 PM Thread Starter

Andy, the other work is coming along. I now have all the glass and plastic pieces that were vandalized installed onto the truck. I still need to put the inside door panel back on. The holdup is I need to purchase new fasteners. Easy to get from AZ locally, just haven't been there yet.

The tailgate weather trim for the back window has not arrived yet. Hope I can install it with the glass in. I plan to get her inspected within a week or two. Then road trip!

post #97 of 131 (permalink) Old 12-03-2016, 12:46 AM
House of Windsor 4ever!

Garage
Shee-yit, get it inspected with the top off, and you caterwauling "I've Been Workin' On The Railroad" at the top of your lungs!

post #98 of 131 (permalink) Old 12-04-2016, 09:25 PM

Bronco Info: 94 XLT 351
That thing is way cool! You have to drive it past the station when complete!

The Bronco Was A Cop, not me.
KI6KTH
"Glory is reserved for those who go where others fear to tread!"
BIGGEST FSB stickers on the board!
post #99 of 131 (permalink) Old 12-05-2016, 02:36 PM
House of Windsor 4ever!

Garage
Or at least out to a rail siding with a parked train and snap some pics. Be a good idea to contact one of the shortlines, set something up; they're always looking for good PR.

post #100 of 131 (permalink) Old 12-05-2016, 07:50 PM
USAF C-17 Avionics

Bronco Info: '94, '92, '88, and '84 Broncos
Hell yeah! I've come close to buying two high rail trucks now, but both fell through. Actually finally got around to owning the predecessor to high rail trucks, and what my internet monicker is derived from.

fKXnPwXol5A

The offset rims are to place the tire over the rail.

Adrianspeeder

Ford Bronco Forum > Other Forums > General Discussion/ Bronco and Wheeling related.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Bronco Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself. DO NOT USE Gmail.com accounts. If you only have a Gmail.com email please contact the administrator here

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode