"RailRoad Runner" My new project - Ford Bronco Forum
 55Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 131 (permalink) Old 10-25-2016, 04:41 PM Thread Starter

Bronco Info: 1995 Bronco
"RailRoad Runner" My new project aka "Hy-goat"

Interesting story. Started a couple of years ago when the railroad crew parked an orange 1995 Bronco next to an abandoned depot very close to my property. The railroad is not in use but was told they were getting ready to start using the rail again.
I never looked at the Bronco up close but I did pass by it several times a day. The bright orange with a white top kind of stands out. So the Bronco sits for a couple of years and then the next time I notice the windshield is busted out. Few weeks later and the side windows are smashed. Then the headlights, taillights and who knows what else. Long story short is I tracked down the owners to a company that went out of business, and so then got in touch with the comptrollers office and left my phone number as a possible buyer. Couple more years go by and I got the call to make a bid. The had mine and a couple other bidders that had also left their numbers.

I told the lady I would give $526 for it. She said she would let me know at noon on Friday which was three days from the time.
Friday came and went, but on Monday (yesterday) I got the call that my bid was the highest and to send a cashiers check. I did, and they are mailing me the title for sure, and keys if they can find them.

This AM I winched the Bronco onto my trailer and brought her home. The body is in great shape, and the top is too. The engine looks like it will start right up. but I will need to replace all the glass. The interior is a bit rough from vandalism but not ripped or torn, just abused. There are no bumpers as it looks like those big steel wheels were once mounted so it could run on the tracks, and were cut off. The tires are like new, but the rims are some special railroad only looking ones so that they have a lot of offset. I guess it is so the wheels will match up to the width of the tracks...

I will post some pictures later, just wanted to share my story.

“A veteran is someone who, at one point in his life wrote a blank check made payable to ‘The United States of America ‘ for an amount of ‘up to and including his life.’ That is Honor, and there are way too many people in this country who no longer understand it.”
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 131 (permalink) Old 10-25-2016, 04:46 PM
Nothing beets a Fullsize

Bronco Info: 96 Bronco (5.8 DD E4OD), 88 Bronco Mudder (Engineless), 90 F250 (Explorer 5.0 4R70W)
Garage
great story, need pics

-----96 5.0 E4OD--------------88 5.8 C6--------------96 5.8 E4OD------
---------KIA-------------------Mud/Trail---------------Daily Driver------
post #3 of 131 (permalink) Old 10-25-2016, 06:18 PM

Bronco Info: 1996 5.0 5-speed
Awesome, we need pics for sure

just saw two Broncos in the local JY, both had perfect glass. shouldn't be difficult to replace.

keep us posted on the progress

96 Bronco 5.0
post #4 of 131 (permalink) Old 10-25-2016, 08:43 PM
Resident Nice Guy

Bronco Info: 1979 Ranger XLT, 351m, 4 speed
Garage
PIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIII IIIIIIIIIICSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSS!

This is my signature. There are many like it, but this one is mine.
My signature is my best friend. It is my life. I must master it as I must master my life.

Schwim! A social site with an identity crisis.
post #5 of 131 (permalink) Old 10-25-2016, 08:50 PM

Bronco Info: 93 EB 5.0 E4OD 117k 32x11.5 4.10 Flowmaster exhaust
Yes, pics are needed
post #6 of 131 (permalink) Old 10-25-2016, 09:13 PM
Fullsize Member

Bronco Info: 1995 5.8 XLT, 2.5 inch Rough Country Lift, 33" BFG's, Ranch Extended R/A's, Punisher Valve Body.
Quote:
Originally Posted by schwim View Post
PIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIII IIIIIIIIIICSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSS!
That made me dizzy

No bum that can't speak poifect English oughta stay in this country...oughta be de-exported the hell outta here!"

-Archie Bunker

bron·co/ˈbräNGkō/
Noun:
A wild or half-tamed horse, esp. of the western US.
post #7 of 131 (permalink) Old 10-25-2016, 09:21 PM
Resident Nice Guy

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by JScatt View Post
That made me dizzy
SOOOOOOOOOOOOORRRRRRYYYYYYYYYYYYYY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

My signature is my best friend. It is my life. I must master it as I must master my life.

post #8 of 131 (permalink) Old 10-25-2016, 10:08 PM
Fullsize Member

Bronco Info: 1995 5.8 XLT, 2.5 inch Rough Country Lift, 33" BFG's, Ranch Extended R/A's, Punisher Valve Body.
Quote:
SOOOOOOOOOOOOORRRRRRYYYYYYYYYYYYYY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Fu*ker.....That made me nauseous
jfourdyce likes this.

No bum that can't speak poifect English oughta stay in this country...oughta be de-exported the hell outta here!"

-Archie Bunker

bron·co/ˈbräNGkō/
Noun:
A wild or half-tamed horse, esp. of the western US.
post #9 of 131 (permalink) Old 10-26-2016, 01:03 AM
Harley's & Bronco's FTW!

Bronco Info: '95 XLT, 5.8/E4OD/MassAir/6" lift/4.56's/35x12.5 BFG AT-KO2
Garage
great story. looking forward to pics.

moved from noobie tech to a better place for Bronco stories.

"When life throws you a curve... LEAN INTO IT!"

SuperMotors - Since 2002
post #10 of 131 (permalink) Old 10-26-2016, 08:52 AM
Resident Nice Guy

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by JScatt View Post
Fu*ker.....That made me nauseous
¡¡¡¡¡¡¡¡¡¡¡¡¡¡¡Hפ∩ONƎ ƎZIפO˥OԀ∀ ┴N∀Ɔ I
JScatt and rescued78projectTX like this.

post #11 of 131 (permalink) Old 10-26-2016, 09:26 AM Thread Starter

I have tried to upload pictures but looks like the Photobucket site is down. Soon as they come back up I'll share.

I started cleaning out some of the broken glass last night when I got home. Gave me a chance to evaluate the interior. I'll be replacing the dash I guess. The desert sun was hard on it without the windshield. I may temporarily just put some carpet on it so I can spend my money on more immediate things.

Got a question. If I don't get a set of keys, which is the best approach? Replace the whole column or just the ignition lock?

“A veteran is someone who, at one point in his life wrote a blank check made payable to ‘The United States of America ‘ for an amount of ‘up to and including his life.’ That is Honor, and there are way too many people in this country who no longer understand it.”
post #12 of 131 (permalink) Old 10-26-2016, 09:42 AM
Resident Nice Guy

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by BioTex View Post
Got a question. If I don't get a set of keys, which is the best approach? Replace the whole column or just the ignition lock?
Looks like the lock cylinder an incredibly easy swap.

Very much looking forward to the pics.
MATCHBOX likes this.

post #13 of 131 (permalink) Old 10-26-2016, 10:07 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Looks like the lock cylinder an incredibly easy swap.

Very much looking forward to the pics.
Thanks for the reply, but your link is for replacing the cylinder if you have a working key:

"NOTE: The following procedure applies to vehicles that have functional lock cylinders and keys. If key numbers are known, the proper key can be made."

I'm asking what if I don't get a key? The comptroller said they didn't think they had a key, but would look foir it and send it to me if they find one. I'm betting they don't find one, so am planning ahead.

BTW, photobucket site still down. Wonder if they got hacked. Seems I saw something on the news about some major hosting sites getting hacked.

post #14 of 131 (permalink) Old 10-26-2016, 10:32 AM
Resident Nice Guy

Garage
Quote:
Thanks for the reply, but your link is for replacing the cylinder if you have a working key:

"NOTE: The following procedure applies to vehicles that have functional lock cylinders and keys. If key numbers are known, the proper key can be made."

I'm asking what if I don't get a key? The comptroller said they didn't think they had a key, but would look foir it and send it to me if they find one. I'm betting they don't find one, so am planning ahead.
Sorry, misunderstood your issue. Here's the instructions for a non-functional cylinder.

Quote:
BTW, photobucket site still down. Wonder if they got hacked. Seems I saw something on the news about some major hosting sites getting hacked.
DNS routing was affected for a couple days, but no particular sites in that attack. I'm able to get to the PB front page but not the login so it seems they're dealing with an internal issue.

Post some to Imgur or Flickr perhaps, just so we can get our groove on?

post #15 of 131 (permalink) Old 10-26-2016, 01:07 PM Thread Starter

Here is the only picture I have so far:

Got tired of waiting for PB so I opened an account with IMGUR. Hope it works...

post #16 of 131 (permalink) Old 10-26-2016, 01:10 PM
FSM Lifetime

Bronco Info: 1996 EB Bronco 5.8, E4OD, BW1356 Transfercase, 6 inch BDS Lift w/Procomp Leafs, 200,010Miles
post #17 of 131 (permalink) Old 10-26-2016, 01:16 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ewgoetz View Post
Can't see it.

I can't either. If I right click it and open image in new window it works..
Not sure what I did wrong. I've been posting pictures on car forums for several years now and never a problem until now. I never used IMGUR before though...

post #18 of 131 (permalink) Old 10-26-2016, 01:17 PM
Resident Nice Guy

Garage

Fixed it for you. Click for huge.

So sorry to see the results of the pointless deterioration due to the vandalism. Hopefully, it didn't add to much to the cost of resurrection.

post #19 of 131 (permalink) Old 10-26-2016, 01:22 PM Thread Starter

Ok, I figured it out. They sent me an email and I need to verify before it will upload to the public...
Sorry. I didn't see that before. Was in a hurry.

Thanks SCHWIM. You can see in the picture it is just starting to rain. That is why no other pictures. Will get some more tonight.

As I stated, the body is all in great shape. The interior not too bad. Just needs some cleaning mostly. I may yank the carpet and bedline.

The right front tire is just one I used to get the truck loaded. The other ones match the right rear. It is some oddball 16.5" tire and the rim is strange also.

Ok, so I fixed my IMGUR account so now I will be able to post pictures and they will actually show up.

Last edited by BikerPepe`; 10-26-2016 at 11:28 PM.
post #20 of 131 (permalink) Old 10-26-2016, 08:39 PM

Bronco Info: 96 M5OD 5.0 XL all stock 221xxx manual everything
Quote:
¡¡¡¡¡¡¡¡¡¡¡¡¡¡¡Hפ∩ONƎ ƎZIפO˥OԀ∀ ┴N∀Ɔ I
lol bud

Do NOT tread on me.
'73 f250 401FE in the works np435/205~~~~~ 96FSB, 302, 5spd, manual BW1356/hubs

Ford Bronco Forum > Other Forums > General Discussion/ Bronco and Wheeling related.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Bronco Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself. DO NOT USE Gmail.com accounts. If you only have a Gmail.com email please contact the administrator here

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode