• 1 Post By 78BroncoSteve
  • 1 Post By mrbollero
  • 1 Post By BikerPepe`
  • 1 Post By mrbollero

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 17 (permalink) Old 03-11-2017, 10:15 PM Thread Starter

Bronco Info: 78 Bronco 400/C6/NP205, 9" rear, Dana 44 front
FSB values and 2020 Bronco

This is just a fun thread. What does everyone think FSB values will do with the release of the 2020 Bronco?

Will they go up, down, stay the same?

Does it depend on if the 2020 Bronco is a true Bronco or a badge engineered Explorer?

Will certain generations experience more growth over others?

If they rise is this good or bad for our community?

Etc, etc. Just some questions to get started. I feel values will rise regardless of how the new Bronco manifests. Just getting the name back in the public will do so.

I'm just really interested in everyone's lines of thinking regardless of position.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 17 (permalink) Old 03-11-2017, 11:00 PM
Fullsize Member

Bronco Info: '81 XLT, 302, manual w/granny, manual transfer case, manual hubs
Garage
Interesting idea and had to think awhile.

2020 may very well spark renewed interest in the older Broncos. 26 yrs back when I bought a used Bronco II I really wanted a FSB but didn't have the finances.

Us baby boomers who remember them well may be percentage wise past wanting or able to invest the time and effort. Don't know about Gen X but hold out hope. Would hate to see so many classics of whatever make rusting away or turned into small metal cubes.

Then there are those who due to the world political climate want older vehicles ( specially with 4WD ) without many, if any, electronics preparing for an EMP or cyber attack on the grid. Prices may significantly go up the worse the situation gets. With the nutcase in N. Korea, who knows.

Regardless, I always wanted a FSB. I ordered a new 76 Blazer and liked it a bunch but envied the longer wheelbase of the FSB. Now I get to play with my "new" toy and assure the wife it's money well spent. Hope it works this time.

If you can't or won't stand behind our troops and law enforcement; feel free to stand in front of them.
post #3 of 17 (permalink) Old 03-11-2017, 11:00 PM

Bronco Info: '96 Black 302 XLT - '94 Green 351 E. B. both are E4OD, 3.55 axles, 31 10.50x15
Well, the new 2020 Bronco won't have ANYTHING in common with our FSBs except the name and that they will probably both have air in the tires.

(Years ago I was at the Hershey PA fall swap meet, and there was a vendor yelling, "I have something for every car ever built". I had a 1929 Pontiac at the time, so I asked him what he had for my 1929 Pontiac. He responded, "Oil")

So the 2020 and our FSBs will probably have two things in common, air in the tires and some kind of lubricating oil.

I think the 2020s should have their own forum, the collective knowledge on this site would be little help to them.
sackman9975 and MATCHBOX like this.

"The simplest solution is usually the best solution" - Occam's Razor

"The significant problems we face cannot be solved at the same level of thinking we were at when we created them." - Albert Einstein
post #4 of 17 (permalink) Old 03-12-2017, 12:23 AM
Fullsize Member

Bronco Info: 1988 5.0L E/B AOD, bone stock+ 1993 5.8L E/B, E4OD, 4"lift with 33's
I'm hoping the new Bronco will be a total brute that can walk over anything on the market with ease. Something that will take over and crush it's competition in the market. But it would probably cost $60,000 and that puts me out of the market. It better not come back like the last Tbird they made! I'm just going to hang onto the 2 Bronco's I have now and be happy with them. They were paid for a long time ago, and I hope their value will go up. Not holding my breath tho...
post #5 of 17 (permalink) Old 03-12-2017, 01:04 AM
Retiring Soon

Bronco Info: '95 XLT, 5.8/E4OD/MassAir/6" lift/4.56's/35x12.5 BFG AT-KO2
Garage
I don't see us making any room here for the 6G Bronco. It's not a snob thing... it's just not practical, imo.
We already know it's not going to be FULL SIZE and as mentioned, there's not a lot we'll have in common to share here with 24 yrs of tech advancement (or atrophy, depending on your pov) between us.

I've said this in the other thread(s)... I expect the values of all our rigs to go up, at least a little. The '78/'79's are already pretty comfortable in the classics market and we're seeing TV builds of these years left and right. Really a no brain'r there. The 3rd and 4th gens... I honestly have no idea. I think they'll go up a little... being Bronco's and a few folks preferring the look of one over another but I don't expect anything astounding to happen there. Where I put my money (literally) is in the 5th gens and I'll tell ya why...
you're shocked right? I know.

The 2020 6G Bronco hype is going to build up lots of expectations. It already is with 3 years to go yet and it's only going to pickup as we close in. By the time they're available... they'll move off the lots in droves. Then... the reality will set in.

No removable top, No bad-ass V8 engine, a mild OEM wheeler, at best... mall crawler, more than likely. A price tag that will have folks slapping their foreheads and realizing they could have bought and over-built an older one for less than 1/2 of the debt they just signed up for.

And that's when it will hit. Like yuppies and RUB's turning over new Harley's after they realize there's more to riding than posing at the coffee shop or the bar.
The 6G's will be cheaply available (for what they are and obviously by comparison to fresh/new), as folks try to wiggle out from under the let down and the heavy investment.
And what will they be looking for? The newest Bronco they can find and fix or restore to get what they thought they might get out of the 6G's.
They'll want as many creature comforts and current tech as they can find... after all, they just tried to buy a brand new one. They'll be looking for the toughness and capabilities of the OBS's as they try to get as close to "new" as they can. Very, very few will be able to turn to the 1st gen, classics with the crazy prices and absolute lack of creature comforts for the money... so that only leaves our FSB's as viable alternatives and the 5th gens as the "closest too".

Yep... hold on to your Bronco's and get 'em all fixed up quick. I'm probably wrong... but I think we're on the precipice of the FSB's going bat shit.
Great for the values... not so great for guys/gals needing parts for their beloved old FSB's.

For me... that's a real bummer. I've already seen it play out as a 3rd generation Harley guy.
Personally, I'd be much happier if Ford would have just left the badge alone.

.25˘ given

"When life throws you a curve... LEAN INTO IT!"

SuperMotors - Since 2002
post #6 of 17 (permalink) Old 03-12-2017, 04:07 AM

Bronco Info: 93 XLT
In the early 80s I fell in love and got married to my first wife. She was a 1967 fastback mustang. I paid too much, but I didn’t care….I was young, dumb, full of (insert naughty word here) and in love. I had to have it….so I spent a fair chunk of my meager, hard earned college savings on it. At the same time one of my dads coworkers was selling his 1967 fastback….a factory GT with the 289HIPO in excellent condition. He was asking $500. I didn’t know about it or I would have bought that one instead, and saved a bundle. That car is worth about $25000 now.

By 84 the craze has started and prices were going up fast.

In 1984 I had a guy pull up to me at a gas station in a brand new 84 vette….window sticker still on it, and offer me a straight up trade. (wish I taken it…just for the money of course)

That was then and this is now. And the mustangs (all muscle cars really) differed from the BKOs in a couple of areas.

First, unlike our BKOS, the mustangs never went out of production.

(((Unless you consider the 1974~78 Pintostang Mustangs IIs as non-mustang line vehicles…..some folks do. And to be certain there are those (myself included) who consider everything after 1970 to not be mustangs. And some of the real hardcore purists don’t even consider anything past 66 to be a mustang.)))

IMO, that had a lot to do with the old mustang values. For a long time the crowd that wanted American muscle, be it a mustang, a camaro or one of the others, couldn’t get it. What they could get were 70s/80s smogified, anemic, poser-mobiles. With lots of cheap plastic. Which were easily shredded by the ‘outdated’ muscle cars Man…..I lived to eat IROC-Z camaros, Firebird TransAms, 280Zs and the like with my mustang. There were plenty of them around to eat and I did….I chewed them up like Rosie O’Donnell at a Ryan’s All You Can Eat Buffet.

The cars I feared were the Hemi Cudas, Big Block/Shelby mustangs, 454 Chevelles and such…the real heavyweights….from the 60s…..and those were the cars that really started the craze. All the rest, like mine, the little stock 289 4 speed…those were the tag-alongs for guys who couldn’t find or afford the ‘rare’ stuff. And those cars were simple enough to modify that anyone with half a brain could do it. And performance parts were plentiful. (I still have my beloved Ford small block C6ZZ dual quad intake manifold) . If you knew how to turn a wrench, find a junkyard and knew which parts to pull, it didn’t really take much effort or money to get 400HP out of a small block ford or Chevy. Back then.

But on the SUV side, there was always steady supply of capable vehicles. Even if they were smaller, or Japanese.

Usually I bash post-FSB-era SUVs (and many, like the Escape, deserve it) but mostly that’s just for fun. In all honesty, there have been plenty of capable SUV/MPV/Utility vehicles available since the death of the BKO (just not from ford) ….the XJs, Xterreas, Land Crusiers…..yes even the Heeps….with a little work……OK, a LOT of work for the Heeps etc….they were all capable. Unlike muscle car availability in the 70s and early 80s, there was a steady supply of SUVx to meet the demand….just not BKOs.

And if someone really had to have a ford, there were the Pickups. And eventually the Raptors. Bust fords chops as much as I do, even I cant deny the Raptor is capable. Very capable….and it just keeps getting better.

Which brings up the other point to consider. While the so called ‘performance’ vehicles of the 70s and early 80s were anything but, Ford, GM and Chrysler pick ups kept getting better.

I know the purists will argue against that, and in many respects I will agree. But overall, from a structural and mechanical perspective, the majority of American pickups have been steadily improving and are superior to the FSBs and Gen I BKOs

So much so that if Ford were to take the 2017 F150, chop the frame, put a Bronco body on it AND remove all of their god-awful nanny-tronics, snyc crap and millennial gee-gaws, I would buy one so fast it would make the salesman feel violated. Well, maybe not. Ford still has to do something about that gopping-frowny grill on the F150.

But Ford wont. I don’t think the new BKO will be another FSB or Gen I with regards to stock off road capability but no matter how much of a soccermom-mobile it is, it will be sturdy and reliable with better quality than any of its predecessors….and yes that includes our beloved FSBs

And it doesn’t even matter if Fords does totally emasculate it…..there are still plenty of used Jeeps, FJs, Blazers, Landcruisers, Landrovers (the real Landrovers, not the Spice Girl inspired junk they’ve been putting out for the last 10 years) around, so I don’t see the values for the FSBs jumping insanely due to desirability/lack of supply or demand for capability.

Annnd the ‘cool’/rarity factors that helped drive muscle cars prices just isn’t there for the BKOs. I love my short-short bed F150, but even the EB Baja Broncos and FSB “free wheelers’ just don’t compare to the Shelby GT350R or GT500KR. Nor the Superbird, Hemi-Cuda, 69COPO Camaro’s etc etc etc..

And a MotherF$##$^%$^&r that lives a few miles away from me (whose name I shall not speak) has been letting his 1964 Fairlane (yes one of those Fairlanes….the Thinderbolts, and it is one of the real ones….its in the registry) sit and rust in his yard for over 20 years. And he wont sell it. Car cost a couple of grand in 64, is worth a couple hundred grand today (restored), and the bastage wont sell it.

I cant see anyone ever willing to pay a couple of hundred thou for a BKO.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Verndewd
You're about as observant as a blind deaf mute in a sensory deprivation tank.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alexander Stoklosa
After all, a world without enormous, fuel-sucking trucks with suspensions capable of bombing across the Baja at 80 mph isn’t a world worth living in.
Quote:
Originally Posted by BikerPepe'
Punching a weatherman in the nose has been on my bucket list for decades!
post #7 of 17 (permalink) Old 03-12-2017, 04:23 AM Thread Starter

Bronco Info: 78 Bronco 400/C6/NP205, 9" rear, Dana 44 front
.25 cents taken! Great feedback so far. Pepe, I tend to subscribe to your line of thinking. The 5th gens will take off for the same reason Jeep Grand Wagoneers have: "vintage" but with a modern vehicle way about it. The 78-79's will too as either classics, as mentioned, or as a statement by the yuppies of hard core authenticity - something like "it's the essence of a true classic SUV". I don't know. It'll be interesting nonetheless.

The only part I could argue alternatively would be about a negative spin on people needing parts. If general market interest/value increases, it should invite more companies to make more investment into making and reproducing parts for FSB's. With that at least comes more availability beyond junkyard OEM or crappy Chinese replacement.
BikerPepe` likes this.
post #8 of 17 (permalink) Old 03-13-2017, 04:02 PM

Bronco Info: 1979 Custom 351m
Garage
I have little to add as far as my perspective (you guys summed it up well), but I check craigslist every day looking over BKOs in my area and I've noticed a trend in increased asking price. I don't have numbers to back it but I'm seeing people ask 5-6k for what 6 months or a year ago was a 3-4k truck. That's not selling price, of course, but it shows that people are thinking about it.
BikerPepe` likes this.

1979 Bronco Custom stock 351m, 33x10.5 BFG tires, Monstaliner paint job, work in progress!
Rusty Custom Build
post #9 of 17 (permalink) Old 03-13-2017, 11:57 PM
Retiring Soon

Garage
craigslist is pretty mellow. check out eBay. you'd think these things are made of pure gold... or at least some of them do.
mrbollero likes this.

SuperMotors - Since 2002
post #10 of 17 (permalink) Old 03-14-2017, 08:37 AM
Fullsize Member

Bronco Info: 78 Custom, 84 Custom, 69 Half Cab, 74 Ranger - stock, 76 Trail Rig
Garage
My 2 cents is that the 2020 Bronco (no matter what it turns out to be) will renew interest in Broncos in general and will cause all generations to rise in value. It might even bootstrap Blazer values as the hard core chevy guys see us Bronco folks getting so much attention! I think it's already happening. The main effect now is on early Bronco prices - they are going through the roof. But even recently higher prices on FSBs are still looking like bargains compared to the earlies. This will eventually drive the FSB prices higher as well.

No affect on BII prices though!

A reasonable rise in prices will be good for the community. I don't see FSB prices ever getting to same level as early Broncos. Too many were made compared to earlies and a true "cult following" has not developed.
post #11 of 17 (permalink) Old 03-14-2017, 02:31 PM
I ♥ TTB

Bronco Info: 89 lifted a smidge
I'm really hoping they are like the 6G, I'm really trying to make it possible to obtain one as my DD.

In the meantime I need to freshen up the motor in my clean '93, I've thought about selling her but she's just in too good of shape once I freshen up the motor. Now hopefully the prices get driven up and I can make a small fortune on her

Quote:
Originally Posted by Broncogirl89 View Post
Well try snatch next time.
-In Heaven you get love and peace.

In Hell you get to party with Pirates and Ninjas.
post #12 of 17 (permalink) Old 03-14-2017, 06:23 PM
Retiring Soon

Garage
somebody will make a fortune off mine... when I'm done with it and dead.
no way the people I love are going to burn my on my bike, loaded up in the Bronco.
we be po' folk.

SuperMotors - Since 2002
post #13 of 17 (permalink) Old 03-15-2017, 12:53 AM
Eric

Bronco Info: '88 Bronco XLT, 5.0L, AOD, 33's
Meh... I got offered cash for my BKO about a year ago. I think it was like $3k or something. Some guy on the freeway started yelling over at me while we were sitting in traffic jam and made the offer. It was more than I paid for it; I remember that. I told him that, even if I wanted to sell it, I would have a hard time finding a replacement with the same drivetrain and in the same condition. Mind you, it's not in great shape, but, it's very work-withable. All original factory parts and only, slightly, PO-modified in regard to wiring.

To be honest, I'm more concerned about not having parts available for these rigs in another 10-20 years. I watch too many get crushed at the local yards. Every month it's like, "Well... there's 3 more down the tubes." That's just at one yard, too. We have dozens in my city. Multiply that effect by the all the JY's, in every state, around the country. I bet, at least, 500 BKO's get sent to the crusher, every month, country-wide. That's a lot. In 10 more years, that's too many.

People won't buy a vehicle that costs too much to service because of the in-availability of parts. Unless, as mentioned above, it was worth 10's-of-thousands of dollars, like classic cars. Our BKO's don't have that kind of standing in the public eye. I see our values going up, slightly, for a few years after the, initial, renewed interest from the 2020 unveiling. Then, I see them plummeting after, say, 10 years. In 20 years, I doubt there will be parts available. Any parts that are available will have a premium price tag attached.

My $0.02,
Eric
post #14 of 17 (permalink) Old 03-15-2017, 08:30 AM
aka: boilermakerms007

Bronco Info: 91 Eddie Bauer, 5.8L, 79 dana44 SAS, 4.56 gears in a trac-loc carrier, 8.5" lift, shorty headers,
Garage
Longmire drives one, and that alone will drive prices up! Ha ha!

GET DIRTY
post #15 of 17 (permalink) Old 03-15-2017, 08:51 AM

Bronco Info: 1979 Custom 351m
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by silver70 View Post
\

To be honest, I'm more concerned about not having parts available for these rigs in another 10-20 years. I watch too many get crushed at the local yards. Every month it's like, "Well... there's 3 more down the tubes." That's just at one yard, too. We have dozens in my city. Multiply that effect by the all the JY's, in every state, around the country. I bet, at least, 500 BKO's get sent to the crusher, every month, country-wide. That's a lot. In 10 more years, that's too many... In 20 years, I doubt there will be parts available. Any parts that are available will have a premium price tag attached.
Eric, some really good points there. It's true, and really sad, that so many trucks end up at the crusher. My wife hates that I wish I could save them all...
I would hope that enough parts are shared between Ford models and the F-series that parts will continue to be produced in a while, but we can't expect them to last forever (at least at an affordable rate).
As for 1G Bronco values, I think those started to skyrocket before news of the new Bronco really hit- but that news sure isn't hurting values. One of the reasons I love these trucks (post 1G at least) as that they are kindof under-the-rader as far as value for fun goes- they're still super affordable and, while part of me wants values to rise, I'd almost rather then stay cheap so I can justify my bad habits to my other half
silver70 likes this.

1979 Bronco Custom stock 351m, 33x10.5 BFG tires, Monstaliner paint job, work in progress!
Rusty Custom Build
post #16 of 17 (permalink) Old 03-15-2017, 08:57 AM

Bronco Info: 1994 XLT and 1996 XL
My .02 are along the lines of some others here. I don't think the 2020 Bronco will have much of an impact on the FSB because at the end of the day they are apples and oranges. Totally different vehicle and market. I think FSB prices will continue to rise Broncos and Powerstroke OBS trucks are pretty highly sought after these days - and those in good condition fetch crazy prices.

That said, I hope the 2020 Bronco is awesome and kicks the crap out of the Wrangler. Depending on what it actually ends up being I may even be in the market for one as a daily driver for the wife, but it'll never replace my FSB.
post #17 of 17 (permalink) Old 03-15-2017, 10:11 AM
Foolsize Member

Bronco Info: They multiply when I'm not looking.
Let me preface this by saying I fully intend on getting a new Bronco in 2020. That being said I think that our trucks will continue to go up in value, so long as they are in excellent shape. Now, if anyone has seen the early Bronco market in the last 5-10 years you'll know that even basket cases are worth 5-10k as long most everything is there. Restored or survivor trucks go for well over 20-30k and even more for rare models and high end resto trucks. Now we are starting to see the same things happen with the 78-79 Broncos, with the added factor of them being a 2 year truck as opposed to the EB's 11 year run. Clean, rust free examples are starting to creep closer and closer to 10k, with restored or high option models going well beyond 10k. Now as we all know, later model (94,95,96) high trim trucks with lower mileage go for great money also. And with companies like LMC,JBG, and NPD still selling high quality parts for these trucks, restoring them will continue to be an option.

In other words, don't expect the mighty FSB to just be another used truck until they all rust back into the ground

1992 XLT 300/M5OD
1978 Custom 351M/C6
1991 XLT 351W/Blown Up E4OD
1988 Custom 302/AOD

Ford Bronco Forum > Other Forums > General Discussion/ Bronco and Wheeling related.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Bronco Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself. DO NOT USE Gmail.com accounts. If you only have a Gmail.com email please contact the administrator here

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode