Ultimate Rock Slider thread - Page 3 - Ford Bronco Forum
 4Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #41 of 152 (permalink) Old 08-24-2006, 12:15 PM
Past Bronco Owner

Bronco Info: 2015 4Runner in - Bronco out - to another member

Bronco is sold to another member but the memory will live on.
I still come here to keep up with wheeling buddies and check out their rides.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #42 of 152 (permalink) Old 08-24-2006, 06:36 PM
ate lug

Bronco Info: 88 Bronco/96 Bronco/96 F250
Garage
Mine are like plug ugly & big norm's. Put these in probably four years ago now, still holdin up good. I dunno who Andy Skaar is, so he dont get credit for mine

post #43 of 152 (permalink) Old 01-12-2008, 02:28 AM
OUT OF BUSINESS / M.I.A.

Bronco Info: rusty
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shadofax View Post
anybody got measurments for the legs?
post #44 of 152 (permalink) Old 01-12-2008, 02:44 AM
Mentally in Cancun.

Bronco Info: 1996 Ford Blazer. Lifted, locked, and loaded. Where's the Zombies?
Quote:
Originally Posted by reptillikus View Post
Mine are like plug ugly & big norm's. Put these in probably four years ago now, still holdin up good. I dunno who Andy Skaar is, so he dont get credit for mine

I like the Andy Skarr style, but the only problem I see is if you lean into a rock there is nothing to push you away, unlike the David/Crazed/Shadofax style.

Guys, Got any measurements as to how far out the round tubing from the box tubing under the rocker? Also is 1.5" round tubing really hard/expensive to find and bend. It seems like a lot of places here don't carry the dies to bend 1.5" round.

California Bay Area off road UC4x4.com
post #45 of 152 (permalink) Old 01-12-2008, 08:26 AM
ate lug

Bronco Info: 88 Bronco/96 Bronco/96 F250
Garage
Wow, old thread!

Here's an updated pic for ya from last year. They have served me well all these years

True, nothing to pivot on, altho that has not been a problem for me. I like the tubular ones for that ability, but i dont like that you lose like 2" of ground clearance because of it.

What kind of bender do you have? We got our 1.5" die online pretty easily.
post #46 of 152 (permalink) Old 01-12-2008, 09:58 AM
Owned 21 Years

Bronco Info: 95XLT351 E4OD SAS 44/ARB/Alloy shafts-joints. D60 rear/Detroit. 4wheel disc,35" KO2's, 4.56etc.
Quote:
Wow, old thread!

Here's an updated pic for ya from last year. They have served me well all these years

True, nothing to pivot on, altho that has not been a problem for me. I like the tubular ones for that ability, but i dont like that you lose like 2" of ground clearance because of it.

What kind of bender do you have? We got our 1.5" die online pretty easily.
you actually lose more than that RepT....2" plus most people mount them with a little distance from the body, maybe an inch, so it's closer to 3".

my pic above is more of a combo between the AS slider style and what Dustin makes with side tubing protection which I really like since it's saved the side of the lower body panels several times...it's only 1.5" thick, and it's mounted pretty much up to the underside of the truck with several hard rubber bushings between it and the body. Total loss of clearance is less than 2".

I can get some measurements on legs a bit later today Ryan.

post #47 of 152 (permalink) Old 01-12-2008, 12:48 PM
Owned 21 Years

Bronco Info: 95XLT351 E4OD SAS 44/ARB/Alloy shafts-joints. D60 rear/Detroit. 4wheel disc,35" KO2's, 4.56etc.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fireguy50 View Post
Keep in mind Ryan this is for my slider, measurement from the frame to the inside edge of my 3" x 1.5" slider is 14.5" at the rear leg, 14.75" at the front

post #48 of 152 (permalink) Old 01-12-2008, 01:45 PM

Bronco Info: 91Fullsize,6"BDS lift w/ ex.radius arms,Superlift superrunner steering, Optima Yellowtop Battery
Quote:
Glad someone else had the same ??? I too was wondering that as I just got a welder for christmas and have been trying to figure out how much material I was going to be needing to buy. Thanx's Shadofax

http://www.supermotors.net/7549
Quote:
Originally Posted by bronco boy View Post
between the and the , we got er covered!
Quote:
Originally Posted by bigbroncojeff View Post
sweet..... now you can jack off your bumper
post #49 of 152 (permalink) Old 01-12-2008, 10:46 PM
OUT OF BUSINESS / M.I.A.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shadofax View Post
Keep in mind Ryan this is for my slider, measurement from the frame to the inside edge of my 3" x 1.5" slider is 14.5" at the rear leg, 14.75" at the front
Thanks here is the updated specs
post #50 of 152 (permalink) Old 01-12-2008, 11:58 PM
Owned 21 Years

Quote:
Thanks here is the updated specs

That's very purdy.

I will mention 3 things if going with this exact slider:

1) note it is light, and thus the slider can be bent by hard rock impacts if used heavily.
2) use of 1/4" material for everything except the tube will make it substantially stronger, and heavier...about 55lbs each).
3) I'd suggest use of 1/4" feet to the frame instead of 3/16ths unless you plan to use rubber bushings and a "soft tie in" to the body like I did. I actually caught my outer tube on a tree root on one trail and bent the slider down, which is why I decided to tie it in out at the body as well.

post #51 of 152 (permalink) Old 01-13-2008, 01:22 AM
rolling Rolling ROLLING....

Bronco Info: 93 Cherokee
I'm with Shadow on this...I used 1/4 every where but the tube...there I used .120 wall and bent the shit out of one last time out.

Tim

Newest token Jeep owner....

post #52 of 152 (permalink) Old 01-13-2008, 01:30 AM
OUT OF BUSINESS / M.I.A.

I changed it so each person has to pick out material thickness for their application
post #53 of 152 (permalink) Old 01-13-2008, 01:40 AM
They call me "MR FLAT TIRE"

Bronco Info: 90 7.3IDI/ZF5/tons. 66 5.0/AOD. 90beater SAS/5.8/e4od
I used more than .120" wall but probably less than 1/4" (it was free for the taking)
I modeled them off Dustins and some EB and Jeeper designs I'd seen. I used Black Iron PIPE for my tubes...Again..it was freebie stuff and allowed me to practice with the HF bender.

I also have the Andy sliders from years ago. never felt like removing them since now they act as a postive stop for the new sliders when gravity slams them on top of a rock.

edit...helps to add a photo.

I chose to stop them as close to the wheel openings as possible... sorta regret that now that I installed the fiberglass fenders.

moderate mild testing in Hungry Valley only scratched the lower side of the pipe

Quote:
Originally Posted by 90Beater View Post
2 spares?? Are you sure thats gonna be enough????
Proud to be politically incorrect.
66 EB 5.0-AOD; 90 Locopny 7.3IDI-ZF 5-D60-10.25; 90Beater(2.0)5.8L-E4OD-SAS-14B; 95 Happy2 F150-4.9L-M5OD; F250SD 7.3-Auto CCLB
post #54 of 152 (permalink) Old 01-13-2008, 01:53 AM
F.O.T.Y. 2003

Bronco Info: '89 XLT SAS ~'78 Ranger, '90 Eddie
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by locopny View Post
I used more than .120" wall but probably less than 1/4" (it was free for the taking)
I modeled them off Dustins and some EB and Jeeper designs I'd seen. I used Black Iron PIPE for my tubes...Again..it was freebie stuff and allowed me to practice with the HF bender.

I also have the Andy sliders from years ago. never felt like removing them since now they act as a postive stop for the new sliders when gravity slams them on top of a rock.

edit...helps to add a photo.

I chose to stop them as close to the wheel openings as possible... sorta regret that now that I installed the fiberglass fenders.
The only way your design will work is with the "andy slider". w/o it the legs would smash the body. Mine are actually under the body more so the whole side of the truck takes the impacts evenly.
post #55 of 152 (permalink) Old 01-13-2008, 02:46 AM
They call me "MR FLAT TIRE"

Bronco Info: 90 7.3IDI/ZF5/tons. 66 5.0/AOD. 90beater SAS/5.8/e4od
Quote:
Originally Posted by Crazed View Post
The only way your design will work is with the "andy slider". w/o it the legs would smash the body. Mine are actually under the body more so the whole side of the truck takes the impacts evenly.
yes sir...I actually installed the "andys" after I installed the old Sh!ttybuilts step/sliders I had damaged the body where the legs wrapped to the frame. Did wonders to strengthen the Sh!ttys...Which is also probably why my sub 1/4" material works well in the rocks. I "planned" (read that 'rationalized') mine around my style of driving...not so much upward impacts from rocks...more sideways impact action. Maybe you notice my support legs are set wider apart than most others on here....taken to points where frame xmembers are atleast close.
I wanted more than just rocker protection...I wanted step area & pivot area still away from door. So far its held up for what I need it for- and something I never thought about, Parking lot doorstop.
Best set up I have seen is still Yikes door slider.....but I cant build those without more tools.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 90Beater View Post
2 spares?? Are you sure thats gonna be enough????
Proud to be politically incorrect.
66 EB 5.0-AOD; 90 Locopny 7.3IDI-ZF 5-D60-10.25; 90Beater(2.0)5.8L-E4OD-SAS-14B; 95 Happy2 F150-4.9L-M5OD; F250SD 7.3-Auto CCLB
post #56 of 152 (permalink) Old 01-13-2008, 10:59 AM
Diesel Gynachologist

Bronco Info: 2001 F350
Quote:
Best set up I have seen is still Yikes door slider.....but I cant build those without more tools.
yes I like that but have a feeling under heavy use it would get jacked and not open the door. I would be real interested in seeing how they do in the rocks. I know I have used the crap out of my sliders and only slightly bent the outer tube. I have slammed the whole weight down of the bronco on the rock, used them to pivot all the time, and even been winched from them. It would be interesting.

also you can use .188 wall mild or even better DOM and get that outer tube to hold up alot better

Ford Senior Master Technician

http://www.superford.org/registry/ve...x.php?vID=1309
Quote:
"The existence of flamethrowers is proof that someone, somewhere, said to himself, "I want to set those people over there on fire, but I don't feel like walking over there to do it."
post #57 of 152 (permalink) Old 01-13-2008, 05:36 PM

Bronco Info: 89 EB 302/ AOD/ 4:56/ Aussie Rear/ L/S front/ 3G/ 2.5" Lift/ 35" M/T's
While we are posting in old threads I share mine too.

My Slider Thread

Patrick

89 EB Bronco: 302, AOD, 4:56's, Rear Aussie Locked, Front L/S and Warn Hubs, 35" M/T's, 2.5" lift, Custom front and rear bumpers and sliders .

More to come as soon as the bank says ok.
My supermotors page
post #58 of 152 (permalink) Old 01-13-2008, 05:45 PM
OUT OF BUSINESS / M.I.A.

Quote:
Wow, old thread!
Quote:
Originally Posted by AUBronco View Post
While we are posting in old threads.....
Because I useded search
That's how it's suposed to work
Search --> Read --> Post aditional question in appropriate thread
post #59 of 152 (permalink) Old 01-13-2008, 06:38 PM
F.O.T.Y. 2003

Bronco Info: '89 XLT SAS ~'78 Ranger, '90 Eddie
Garage
Quote:
yes sir...I actually installed the "andys" after I installed the old Sh!ttybuilts step/sliders I had damaged the body where the legs wrapped to the frame. Did wonders to strengthen the Sh!ttys...Which is also probably why my sub 1/4" material works well in the rocks. I "planned" (read that 'rationalized') mine around my style of driving...not so much upward impacts from rocks...more sideways impact action. Maybe you notice my support legs are set wider apart than most others on here....taken to points where frame xmembers are atleast close.
I wanted more than just rocker protection...I wanted step area & pivot area still away from door. So far its held up for what I need it for- and something I never thought about, Parking lot doorstop.

Yah, Todd (tntbronco) used to have just the smittys, did way more damage to the body then they helped
post #60 of 152 (permalink) Old 01-13-2008, 06:50 PM

Bronco Info: 89 EB 302/ AOD/ 4:56/ Aussie Rear/ L/S front/ 3G/ 2.5" Lift/ 35" M/T's
Quote:
Because I useded search
That's how it's suposed to work
Search --> Read --> Post aditional question in appropriate thread
It's all good I agree with you.

Patrick

89 EB Bronco: 302, AOD, 4:56's, Rear Aussie Locked, Front L/S and Warn Hubs, 35" M/T's, 2.5" lift, Custom front and rear bumpers and sliders .

More to come as soon as the bank says ok.
My supermotors page

Ford Bronco Forum > Other Forums > General Discussion/ Bronco and Wheeling related.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Bronco Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself. DO NOT USE Gmail.com accounts. If you only have a Gmail.com email please contact the administrator here

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode