Ultimate Rock Slider thread - Page 5 - Ford Bronco Forum
 4Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #81 of 151 (permalink) Old 03-16-2009, 12:31 AM
Seeking Tanelorn

Bronco Info: Black '90 351 Bronco XLT, 6" Pro Comp stage II, 35" BFG ATs, K&N filter, Warn Premium Hubs
Quote:
Originally Posted by LSAtexan$x$ View Post
thanks... and that is bolted to the top of the 1.5 x3? or no?
I don't know about his, but this pic might help.

Quote:
Originally Posted by reptillikus View Post
You're not gonna want to have those bolts sticking out past the 1.5 x3.

Jeff
I've tried soul-searching, but in doing so I've found some really dark places.

"I may be on the side of the angels - but donít think for one second that I am one of them."
When all else fails... mutiny.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #82 of 151 (permalink) Old 03-16-2009, 12:33 AM

Bronco Info: 1986 ford bronco, new 302 bored over .030 EFI, 4'' rough Country and 35s
see i saw some of those but his rectangle tube is under the rocker so how would those bolts hold it..... or is there a piece of steel behind it like that also?

>David<

visit my supermotor site: http://www.supermotors.net/16494
post #83 of 151 (permalink) Old 03-16-2009, 12:44 AM
Seeking Tanelorn

Bronco Info: Black '90 351 Bronco XLT, 6" Pro Comp stage II, 35" BFG ATs, K&N filter, Warn Premium Hubs
Quote:
Originally Posted by LSAtexan$x$ View Post
see i saw some of those but his rectangle tube is under the rocker so how would those bolts hold it..... or is there a piece of steel behind it like that also?
Oh, I see what you mean now. Well he did say the middle bolt had a rubber spacer; seems like he would need the same for the other two as well, doesn't it.

Maybe that piece is actually a 3x3? The angle of the shot could be making it look wider than it is.

Jeff

"I may be on the side of the angels - but donít think for one second that I am one of them."
post #84 of 151 (permalink) Old 03-16-2009, 01:10 AM

Bronco Info: 1986 ford bronco, new 302 bored over .030 EFI, 4'' rough Country and 35s
we'll see what shado says.......

>David<

post #85 of 151 (permalink) Old 03-16-2009, 09:31 AM
ate lug

Bronco Info: 88 Bronco/96 Bronco/96 F250
Garage
Youre overthinking it. Drill holes, bolt to rocker, done.

install pics/info
post #86 of 151 (permalink) Old 03-16-2009, 09:53 AM
Owned 21 Years

Bronco Info: 95XLT351 E4OD SAS 44/ARB/Alloy shafts-joints. D60 rear/Detroit. 4wheel disc,35" KO2's, 4.56etc.
Pretty much what Kevin said, except remember that with mine, they are not really there to hold the slider up to the rocker. The bolts are just tight enough to have the slider start pressing on the bump stop and that's it. So no noise, and they are as close to the body as you'll get without actually touching it.

post #87 of 151 (permalink) Old 03-16-2009, 11:55 AM
F.O.T.M. - MAY 2014!!!

Bronco Info: 88 FSB. 4.9l -T18-BW1356-33" MTs-Warn hubs Daystar leveling kit
I have a question for people using or have used the Andy Skaar style.

By bolting them to the body, did you notice the body sag at all? I heard that bolting sliders to the body and not welding them to the frame, the body would start sagging, anyone ?

Sliding rear windows, GT roll bar, Cargo net and looking for other rare options. 4.10 gears LSD 33" MTs First ever Stock Fullsize of the Month...
J A S N http://www.supermotors.net/registry/19528
post #88 of 151 (permalink) Old 03-16-2009, 01:08 PM
ate lug

Bronco Info: 88 Bronco/96 Bronco/96 F250
Garage
Its 2*3, .125" wall. It doesnt weigh that much

Now, if your using the traditional style rock slider everybody else does that bolts to the frame rails, i wouldnt bother attaching it to the rocker panel at all.
post #89 of 151 (permalink) Old 03-16-2009, 09:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shadofax View Post
Pretty much what Kevin said, except remember that with mine, they are not really there to hold the slider up to the rocker. The bolts are just tight enough to have the slider start pressing on the bump stop and that's it. So no noise, and they are as close to the body as you'll get without actually touching it.
but what bump stop? sorry i am just not able to picture what the heck is going on.....

Quote:

Now, if your using the traditional style rock slider everybody else does that bolts to the frame rails, i wouldnt bother attaching it to the rocker panel at all.
thats what i am thinking i dont think i will hardly ever need them so i think i may just stop overthinking but i would still like to know incase it is a lot easier than my brain is tellin me....

>David<

post #90 of 151 (permalink) Old 03-17-2009, 08:54 AM
Owned 21 Years

Bronco Info: 95XLT351 E4OD SAS 44/ARB/Alloy shafts-joints. D60 rear/Detroit. 4wheel disc,35" KO2's, 4.56etc.
The bump stop is the center bolt of the 3, so it goes down inside the little rocker channel (where Kevin's andy scaar style slider actually goes into). So basically it's between the rocker and slider.

I wouldn't bother doing it this way if you don't ever plan to catch your slider on anything and having it pulled away (down) from the body and you don't already have 3 holes drilled, as I did.

post #91 of 151 (permalink) Old 03-17-2009, 09:29 AM
Fullsize Member

Bronco Info: 95 302 ZF5 4.56 w/Detroit in the back 33" tires, Sag swap, warn winch and Custom Soft Top
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by fartman View Post
I have a question for people using or have used the Andy Skaar style.

By bolting them to the body, did you notice the body sag at all? I heard that bolting sliders to the body and not welding them to the frame, the body would start sagging, anyone ?
Quote:

I have had Andy's on for 10 years? but I made um out of 2x3 .25 wall much heaver but no I do not think I have any sag. Then again I tend to try and jam them back into my doors way to much. Notice the rock right there in my sig.

Always topless
post #92 of 151 (permalink) Old 03-17-2009, 10:43 AM

ok no more trying to incorp all thiss imma do it the easy way but im still copying shado's sliders there badaass...........

>David<

post #93 of 151 (permalink) Old 03-17-2009, 10:54 AM
Seeking Tanelorn

Quote:
I wouldn't bother doing it this way if you don't ever plan to catch your slider on anything and having it pulled away (down) from the body and you don't already have 3 holes drilled, as I did.
Oh, you planned that?

I think it's a good design mod.

Jeff

post #94 of 151 (permalink) Old 03-17-2009, 11:41 AM
Owned 21 Years

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iolaus View Post
Oh, you planned that?

I think it's a good design mod.
No, I didn't, it just happened from not being careful.

The better option IMO if you are having these built is that guys now use triangular gussets over at the foot attaching point to the frame. And the foot should probably be 1/4" (won't add any real weight), whereas my foot is 3/16ths plate.

But if you want the slider right up to the body like I did, you certainly can do the bump stop and bolting. I also had to cut off most of the underneath fender mount and redo that since it was in the way of getting the slider all the way up next to the body.

post #95 of 151 (permalink) Old 03-17-2009, 11:53 AM
Seeking Tanelorn

Quote:
I also had to cut off most of the underneath fender mount and redo that since it was in the way of getting the slider all the way up next to the body.
Yeah, I was wondering about that.

Jeff

post #96 of 151 (permalink) Old 04-02-2009, 07:53 PM

Bronco Info: 1990 5.0 5 speed 4inch ranchro lift hedman short headers, 33 bfgoodrich all terrins
90 beatter great truck im starting to build your rock slider now in metal shop and i was just wondering how far does the F and the G bar go in on the A bar
post #97 of 151 (permalink) Old 04-07-2009, 09:52 AM
89 Problems

Bronco Info: 1989 with MAF 351w, D60 front w/ARB, 14 Bolt rear W/ARB, c6, 1356, 37s, Cage arms, etc
Garage
this is my idea:

big tube would be 2"x2" .188 wall square tube, smaller tube would be 1"x2" .188. i would cut holes to slide the removable step into the sliders, and make supports inside for the legs of the step. i was also thinking i could make some drop jack points that would slide into the same holes, for when you need it jacked up but the jack just isn't quite long enough.

i'm open to suggestions, it's just in the design stage right now. i don't know lengths yet or anything.

there will be drainage holes throughout the part i leave open for the step tube, to make sure i don't just pack it full of mud and crap.

I know you believe you understood what you think I said
but I am not sure you realize that what you heard
is not what I meant
post #98 of 151 (permalink) Old 04-07-2009, 04:51 PM
Chrome gets me home

Bronco Info: 1994 Bronco XLT 351w 6" RC lift, 35" General Red Labels on 17x9 KMC wheels, 4.56 gears LS rear
Garage
happy, screw the step...tell her to climb...

JSLAX04
Built...Not Bought
post #99 of 151 (permalink) Old 04-07-2009, 04:53 PM

Bronco Info: Stockish 93 5.8L, E4OD, BW1356; 79, 400/T-18/NP205, D44/9"

post #100 of 151 (permalink) Old 04-07-2009, 04:56 PM
89 Problems

Bronco Info: 1989 with MAF 351w, D60 front w/ARB, 14 Bolt rear W/ARB, c6, 1356, 37s, Cage arms, etc
Garage
well, i would, but she had knee surgery recently.... so that would be cruel.

I know you believe you understood what you think I said
but I am not sure you realize that what you heard
is not what I meant

Ford Bronco Forum > Other Forums > General Discussion/ Bronco and Wheeling related.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Bronco Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself. DO NOT USE Gmail.com accounts. If you only have a Gmail.com email please contact the administrator here

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode