Defective Parts Listing - Page 3 - Ford Bronco Forum
 13Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #41 of 107 (permalink) Old 09-21-2011, 08:56 AM Thread Starter

Bronco Info: 96 Bronco XL 5.0 E4OD, Man Xfer/Hubs
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by bbctruckz View Post
Any altenators from Advance have been jusk for me at least.
yo, thanks!

I am finding that the Purloator A24378 air filter is not fitting well in my 96; the gasket is too large to close the box properly without force. I can see the gasket between the cover and box bottom edges.

Purolator was the OEM to ford for our Broncos; so I'll go back to the FORD Genuine Parts FA-1046

See my partially recovered Bronco web site ...Will need to clean up dead links & add many more new links some day. Thanks to Mr. Schwim!
THANKS to ALL WHO SERVE!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #42 of 107 (permalink) Old 09-21-2011, 09:40 AM

Bronco Info: 1994 Bronco 5.0 liter e4od factory MAF, 130 amp 3g, auxillary transmission filter and cooler.
AC accumulator from Napa/Autozone/Advance. All have the same part number. some aren't anywhere close to fitting. I finally got one that was close but the bracket has to be modified. Again same part number. They're listed under different brands for each store.
part number is 33091. All have the same picture IIRC.

My Youtube: http://www.youtube.com/user/pfun41#p/a
The going get tough, the tough get debt
Don't pay attention, pay the rent
Next of kins pay for your sins
A little faith should keep us safe
post #43 of 107 (permalink) Old 09-26-2011, 10:23 AM Thread Starter

Garage
Vehicle Speed Sensor (VSS); also called RABS Sensor & Differential Speed Sensor (DSS) Defective; "... Anyway, the autozone VSS looks almost identical to the ford VSS. They are both now made of plastic. You have to look very closely to see minor differences. However, the magnet inside does not budge in the ford part, no rattling noise at all. The Autozone part rattles when shaken, ie. the magnet has room to move inside the plastic housing.[/b]It's was a big lesson for me. Wrong readings from the VSS can cause so much E4OD problems...erratic shifting, late shifting, hard shifting, feeling like it was in neutral, as well as engine cutting off at stop lights---Even if it registers correct readings on your speedometer..."
Source: by bkne40d at http://www.fullsizebronco.com/forum/show...=122096&page=3

See my partially recovered Bronco web site ...Will need to clean up dead links & add many more new links some day. Thanks to Mr. Schwim!
THANKS to ALL WHO SERVE!
post #44 of 107 (permalink) Old 09-26-2011, 10:50 AM
FSM Lifetime

Bronco Info: 96 xlt 5.8 (blk) e40d
Quote:
Originally Posted by miesk5 View Post
yo, thanks!

I am finding that the Purloator A24378 air filter is not fitting well in my 96; the gasket is too large to close the box properly without force. I can see the gasket between the cover and box bottom edges.
frams are the same way

black 96 5.8 xlt sport, e40d, edelbrock intake, bassani y-pipe, bilstien shocks, 32"bfg's
azure blue 03 mach1 4.6 dohc

"Sorry - no matches. Please try some different terms."
post #45 of 107 (permalink) Old 09-26-2011, 02:15 PM
I see Broncos

Bronco Info: 93 OJ Special 4" Lift 35s and a bunch of other junk.
Not a defective part per se but defective auto part stores. The big three auto part stores (Pep Boys, O'reily, Autozone) have pretty much run all of the independent auto part stores out of town. This weekend I found out the last place that carried the only accessory belts I use, the Goodyear Gatorback, no longer sells them. I guess it's mail order only for now on.

And no, Napa doesn't carry them either. They just carry the same crap Anco belts everyone else does.

Oh yea and A-1 Cardone has gone to a "Universal" fit smog pump that doesn't fit at all. They re-casted the housing and it's so bad it won't even bolt to my Bronco anymore. Doesn't matter the stupid things only last 9 months anyway.

Depositing random fluids around California, Nevada and Arizona since 1999.
post #46 of 107 (permalink) Old 09-26-2011, 11:22 PM

Bronco Info: Sold
NAPA for me as well. They know me pretty well at the one I go to and know I don't buy the cheap crap either. I am guilty of using Advance or Oreilly in a pinch, if it's all that is open or has the part available when I really need it. Otherwise the only thing the big chain stores are good for is tool rental.

1997 Ford F250 Heavy Duty XLT 4x4
7.3L PSD CCSB, E4OD, D50 TTB, 10.25 FF LS, 3.55's
2001 Ford E350 Super Duty Work Van
5.4L V8
post #47 of 107 (permalink) Old 09-26-2011, 11:40 PM

Bronco Info: 80 Bronco XLT 302 4sp, 4"lift on 35" Factory LS F&R
Don't get to happy with NAPA, they sell shina crap also. My NEW MC was from crap land......................
post #48 of 107 (permalink) Old 09-27-2011, 12:18 AM
Fullsize Member

Bronco Info: Brick Nose on 15x10s/32s with leveling coils
cardone, their motto should be, it will make your car, done; as in scrap.
post #49 of 107 (permalink) Old 09-27-2011, 10:31 AM

Bronco Info: 89 F350 42's / 78 Bronco 460 35's / 79 Bronco XLT stock
Quote:
Originally Posted by ProBronco View Post
Don't get to happy with NAPA, they sell shina crap also. My NEW MC was from crap land......................

Pssst....... read the whole thread before posting.......
Of course, I mean that in a nice way.....

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mudman78 View Post
That's because NAPA started losing business to AutoZone and Advance. It was a matter of survival. If they did not switch over to "MAde in China" parts, they would have eventually gone out of business. It sucks, but I can't fault them for it. A national chain is not going to survive if only a small handful of people are willing to pay any price for "Made in USA" parts.
Go to NAPA's website and research your part/part # before you go into the store. A lot of the stuff they carry is still made here, but has to be ordered. Most stores won't stock them since they're priced higher. I can get "Made in USA" brake rotors for my truck still, but I have to order them. My store only stocks the Chinese line. If they quoted the "Made in USA" price to every customer that walked in the door, they'd walk right out and go two blocks down the street to AutoZone. Luckily I've been going to my local NAPA for years. The guys there know me and they know I don't purchase the Chinese crap unless it's a last resort. They always quote me for the good stuff first and tell me "I can have it for you tomorrow".

Quote:
Originally Posted by BikerPepe` View Post
"voting for hilary because she's a woman, is like eating shit because it looks like chocolate."
post #50 of 107 (permalink) Old 09-27-2011, 11:22 PM

Bronco Info: 80 Bronco XLT 302 4sp, 4"lift on 35" Factory LS F&R
Thanks Mud 78, just sayin NEW should be the best and not crap...............

Did not know Napa sold out also, small town I live in so part in stock are RARE !! LOL
PJCHANNING likes this.
post #51 of 107 (permalink) Old 10-12-2011, 11:15 AM Thread Starter

Garage
yo,

Add
BWD MAP Sensors from advance
Frying MAP I have gone through 3 MAP sensors within 6 months. Randomly to just start the bronco and check engine light comes on I hit the gas and it dies. Every time pull codes and get 22. I replace MAP and everything works fine. I have replaced the connector, all grounds and cables are fine. Vacuum line is fine and new.

Update on problem with the new MAP from NAPA everything seems to be working good going 3 weeks now. Only a little hesitation at start up and acceleration.
by Saltlife85 at FSB

THANKS to ALL WHO SERVE!
post #52 of 107 (permalink) Old 10-20-2011, 10:03 AM Thread Starter

Garage
yo,

re;
"...I recently had a problem with my PIP module in my distributor. I bought a Cardone from Auto Zone. I am now on the third replacement..."
akojsp
1995 XLT

THANKS to ALL WHO SERVE!
post #53 of 107 (permalink) Old 10-20-2011, 10:32 AM
I did all for the Nookie

Bronco Info: 89' Bronco 5.8l Variable Speed V8, Forward, Rev, Turns left, right, stops, and everything.
Garage
miesk I had problems with the AZ pick up on my 89 last year I ended up useing the old one that I replaced it with not a peep since. Why are you going to the darkside?

351W, ZF5-47, BW1356, 10.25/D60
FOTM DEC. 2011
"Quando Omni Flunkus, Moritati,"
When all else fails roll over and play dead.
post #54 of 107 (permalink) Old 10-21-2011, 06:38 AM Thread Starter

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by huggyb1972 View Post
miesk I had problems with the AZ pick up on my 89 last year I ended up useing the old one that I replaced it with not a peep since. Why are you going to the darkside?
yo H,
huh?
Dija mean about starting this defective parts list?
If so, it's because some have sent hundreds (and some thousands) of Dollars replacing PSOM's, rear ends, trannys, EECs, etc due to a defective New VSS etc.

THANKS to ALL WHO SERVE!
post #55 of 107 (permalink) Old 10-21-2011, 07:14 AM Thread Starter

Garage
yo,
Ignition Lock Cylinder;
"...the lock cylinder came from NAPA and just randomly broke after like 2 months. (thinking it was just a defect in the lock) But I'll see what happens tonight and post up what it wasby 88LiftdBronco
..."

THANKS to ALL WHO SERVE!
post #56 of 107 (permalink) Old 10-21-2011, 10:04 AM Thread Starter

Garage
yo,
re; "...since my steering box was leaking at the pitman arm seal, I went and sprung for a new steering box at Napa. Just got the 1500 box, I heard in 1996 they all used the same one. (someone correct me if not)
Anyhow I get my old one off, and start bolting in the new one. And get all the hoses connected. And I connect up the steering wheel rod, and notice there is slack in the box. I can turn the top gear quarter inch both ways and I can hear AND feel a clunk like gears are being engaged before the pitman gear starts to move.
Now while driving, I wander all over the lanes and never used to before.
My old box had no slack at all, the only reason I was replacing it was the leaks it had.
I called Napa and told him of my concerns with the unit, he said "I ain't heard nothing like that on a rebuilt box in all my years" and then promptly ordered me a new one from the warehouse.
Now I have to drop that heavy box again and bolt up another one..
Just wanted to update this thread and let you know what happened. Before I was going to pull the box all the way out, I wanted to test the amount of slack, so i grabbed a rag, got under the truck and turned the steering gear. Not only is there slack before the pitman arm moves, but I swear I saw the whole pitman arm gear shift to the side before it turns!
Returned both my core and the slacky rebuilt gearbox to Napa. They brought me out another one, and I returned my core. $222 for a freakin core charge!
Went home and bolted the new one up. It took about half the time as the first install. Amazing how much faster the install goes when you've done it before.
Got in and moved my steering wheel from side to side, and guess what... no more clunk! It's nice and tight, no slack whatsoever!
I am not wandering on the road anymore, and I am one happy camper!..."
byManual96

"...I had just the opposite on my box from NAPA , mine was to tight.I have a good connection at my local NAPA so I took a wrench to the adjuster and backed off of mine a little at a time and it was fine and if it wasn`t they`d got it back .I agree you shouldn`t have to wrench on it but I didn`t want to switch boxes unless I had to and I`d feel about as good putting a box back in from DC as I would buying a track bar from them and for $156.00 I had to try NAPA.I believe the DSS steering box brace is the ticket to longevity for any of the boxes.
The NAPA box isn`t no better than what the factory box was when it started out .A brace of some kind is the only way to prolong its life..."
by Gary

"...The guy at PSC sold me an upgraded box, rebuilt. Great price, and he also sold me the steering brace.
My wife now complains it steers too easy Perfect so far been on for a couple thousand miles. I would say you need get your alignment checked, and even check your brakes for the pulling at stop. There is a post about realigning steering wheel, easy process..." by hookmann69

at http://www.pavementsucks.com/board/t...ering-gear-box

miesk5 Note; PSC is PSC Motorsports - Bronco/Ford truck hydraulically assisted steering (ram), pumps, gear boxes, pulleys, brackets, Dana 44 flatop knuckle, etc.

THANKS to ALL WHO SERVE!
post #57 of 107 (permalink) Old 12-10-2011, 11:23 AM Thread Starter

Garage
Parking Brake Cable on 92 Bronco
"...my new Wagner cable for the Right Rear parking brake and I cannot seem to get the spring compressed well enough to give the the slack I need to install it on the self adjusting block. There's no adjustment allowed on the '92-96 models and I'm about 2 inches too short.
OK, got the Motorcraft part and compared it to the Wagner part. There was clearly at least a 1 inch difference in the length between the OEM and the aftermarket part. Lesson learned. Put the Ford part in and had the brakes adjusted and driving in about 30 minutes after I started. The hardest part was getting the new cable into the holder on top of the Differential. The new part was a bit bigger in diameter. Along with the tip from Steve83(thanks again) using a pair of padded vice grips to hold the cable after pulling it out, it went right together.
Lesson learned. If it's a critical part, I'm going OEM..."
by JohnMcD348 @ http://www.fullsizebronco.com/forum/21-noobie-bronco-tech-questions-flame-free-zone/202213-need-pointers-installing-new-parking-brake-cable-92-bronco.html

THANKS to ALL WHO SERVE!
post #58 of 107 (permalink) Old 01-12-2012, 10:13 AM

Bronco Info: 82 inline 6, holley 600, offenhauser intake, roller rockers, crane cam, 4.56 gears
Flywheel from advanced auto part number 50-714 brand is Perfection....the name is misleading. As the flywheel didn't align to the crank shaft with any perfection at all.

waste of my evening and money.

EDIT- Part fits just fine...i just couldn't figure out which way the damn thing went on...my mistake. After trying to put it on the CORRECT way...if fit perfectly.
PJCHANNING likes this.

Betty WILL run....
post #59 of 107 (permalink) Old 01-24-2012, 10:40 AM Thread Starter

Garage
Topic; Serpentine Bel/tensionor area incredibly annoying squealing sound - is rythmic and its louder as i accelerate, and it calms when im just at idle
Had the same problem, in fact it sounds identical to yours. The first belt I put on when I got my rig was from autozone. Then the noise appeared shortly afterwards. Tried spraying the belt with water and it would go away for a short period. The solution was ...... take the new tensioner that I bought from autozone and throw it in trash and do the same with the belt.
Went to Jeff's Bronco Graveyard (online) and bought an OEM tensioner and Gates Belt. Haven't heard a squeak out of it for a year now and the belt looks brand new still..."
by Glayd at FSB

THANKS to ALL WHO SERVE!
post #60 of 107 (permalink) Old 01-26-2012, 08:20 PM

Bronco Info: 1978 Bronco, 466 EFI
I know there is already a lot of China bashing in this thread....but they deserve it. Here is some more:

1) Avoid any brake part "made in china" Your life is not worth the $$$ you save. JY rotors are better than what you can buy new at the discount parts chain.

2) Help brand ford power window motor reapair kit inserts "inserts" also china junk. Factory insertts are 7/16" or 12 mm. Help ones are 1/2" and mis-molded. They do not fit into the gear without distorting the outside of the gear.

3) Any water pump gasket that comes with the water pump. Throw the pump to plate and plate to engine gaskets out and replace with Fel-pro. This includes the motorcraft pumps!

Opportunity is missed by most people because it is dressed in overalls and looks like work- Thomas A Edison

Ford Bronco Forum > Other Forums > Anything Else

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Bronco Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself. DO NOT USE Gmail.com accounts. If you only have a Gmail.com email please contact the administrator here

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode