Help me find a Gun Safe - Ford Bronco Forum
 10Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 31 (permalink) Old 01-09-2017, 11:43 PM Thread Starter
President, Mels fan club.

Help me find a Gun Safe

This will be our first gun safe and we are looking to spend about $400-500 on it. We want one with either a key pad or combo lock, nothing that takes a key and nothing that looks like it can be opened with a crowbar. It will have to hold a hand full of Rifles and a few hand guns. Also we want to put it in one of our rooms upstairs so not sure how heavy these things are and if that would be a problem? I'm sure the size I'm looking for wouldn't be, but I thought I'd ask.

What do you have, and how do you like it? Is there anything good in that price range?

See Pepe', I always come back for help, even thought you forgot my birthday yesterday fawker
BikerPepe` likes this.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 31 (permalink) Old 01-10-2017, 12:24 AM

Bronco Info: '96 Black 302 XLT - '94 Green 351 E. B. both are E4OD, 3.55 axles, 31 10.50x15
Most safes are fire rated (so many minutes at so many degrees). Few are waterproof, which if you have a flood (or a fire that causes the safe to fall into the basement) could damage your guns as much as a fire. Just something to consider when you buy a safe. Security from robbery is a different factor, weight and the method of attachment of the safe to the walls/floor are considerations.
johnnyk8 likes this.

"The simplest solution is usually the best solution" - Occam's Razor

"The significant problems we face cannot be solved at the same level of thinking we were at when we created them." - Albert Einstein
post #3 of 31 (permalink) Old 01-10-2017, 01:37 AM Thread Starter

Not worried about a flood or fire, never floods here and I have three fire dpts. within 10min of us. Also not really so much worried that someone will break in and take anything, but also want to be as safe incase someone tries to get in. I never thought about the method of attachment of the safe, good point

post #4 of 31 (permalink) Old 01-10-2017, 02:25 AM
Harley's & Bronco's FTW!

Bronco Info: '95 XLT, 5.8/E4OD/MassAir/6" lift/4.56's/35x12.5 BFG AT-KO2
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sway View Post
See Pepe', I always come back for help, even thought you forgot my birthday yesterday fawker
Perfect! Happy After-Birth!

I thought you were planning on moving? Might consider that, if it's still in the plan.

Walmart Locking Gun Cabinet. Buy 'em cheap, scratch the stupid stuff off the glass with a razor and viola!
johnnyk8 likes this.

"When life throws you a curve... LEAN INTO IT!"

SuperMotors - Since 2002
post #5 of 31 (permalink) Old 01-10-2017, 05:29 AM

Bronco Info: 93 351W, SAS w/ 60s f/r
When I bought a safe last year the sale associate asked how many rifles I had. I told him I had a few. He looked at me weird cause i was looking at the 25 gun safes. I'm glad I bought the bigger one. The safe count doesn't count on guns with scopes or pistol grip. Now the safe is packed and there still is only the few rifles I started with on my half. The rest of it is the wife valuables. How the space fill up quick.
post #6 of 31 (permalink) Old 01-10-2017, 07:45 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by BikerPepe` View Post
Perfect! Happy After-Birth!

I thought you were planning on moving? Might consider that, if it's still in the plan.
That was my Niece and her boyfriend. They are there in Puyallup, so I will be knocking on your door hopefully this year?
BikerPepe` likes this.

post #7 of 31 (permalink) Old 01-10-2017, 07:47 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Green Turd View Post
When I bought a safe last year the sale associate asked how many rifles I had. I told him I had a few. He looked at me weird cause i was looking at the 25 gun safes. I'm glad I bought the bigger one. The safe count doesn't count on guns with scopes or pistol grip. Now the safe is packed and there still is only the few rifles I started with on my half. The rest of it is the wife valuables. How the space fill up quick.
Yeah I count on that, we only have two guns for now but plan on more.

post #8 of 31 (permalink) Old 01-10-2017, 12:48 PM

Bronco Info: 1996 Eddie Bauer 5.8L
There are lots of videos on YouTube about buying gun safes and what to look for in them. If you want it upstairs, weight is a big thing to consider. If you haven't yet, you could consider turning an upstairs closet into a safe with a safe door that looks like a normal door.
post #9 of 31 (permalink) Old 01-10-2017, 01:52 PM

Bronco Info: 1988 Bronco Custom, 351, C6, 33" on 15", clean mostly but has only bed floor rot.
Garage
Saw this video on a rather impressive case: https://youtu.be/4_TyNyfmGzo

I forget how much it was though. But it's got pins on all 4 sides that secure it shut.

Forest
DD - for sale: 03 Ford Ranger Edge, 4.0 V6, 4x4, 5spd, ext cab standard bed
Wife's: 02 Chrysler Concorde 2.7 Lxi
Project: 88 Ford Bronco Custom - Fullsize 351 C6 on 33/12.50/15
https://goo.gl/photos/yE5yNu5CdTBsop3i9
post #10 of 31 (permalink) Old 01-10-2017, 02:23 PM
Harley's & Bronco's FTW!

Bronco Info: '95 XLT, 5.8/E4OD/MassAir/6" lift/4.56's/35x12.5 BFG AT-KO2
Garage
jopes was asking opinions on this stuff in another thread. Looks really nice but someone who purchased said it was pretty basic stuff, nothing as fancy as he expected.

Concealment Bedroom Sets - Rough Country Rustic Furniture & Decor

"When life throws you a curve... LEAN INTO IT!"

SuperMotors - Since 2002
post #11 of 31 (permalink) Old 01-10-2017, 08:59 PM
Fullsize Member

Bronco Info: 96' XL 347ci E4od 4:10's 35x12.50x15 M/T MTZ's and some other stuff
Me thinks that Iffin' your going to put the Safe on the 2nd Floor of your home,
you should check the "Floor Joist" Layout carefully...

Safes, Toys & Ammo get Heavy in a hurry.

If you find a Closet for it, you could lift the carpet and Cut / Add a piece of 3/4" "Plywood" (Not O.S.B.)
to fit the dimension of said room / closet and anchor the Plywood to the floor joists below,
and reinstall the carpet and trim.
Then anchor the Safe through the carpet and both layers of substrate into the "Floor Joists".

It'll carry the weight better and wont tip over on the kids. (If you have any)
Added benefit, the "Burglars" cant just pick it up and carry it right on out of your Castle.

just my .02

Oh Crap, Another Sunday Driver.
post #12 of 31 (permalink) Old 01-10-2017, 09:14 PM
FSM Lifetime

Bronco Info: 1978 Round headlight, 351M,C6, 9", 44/1991, 445 FE, t19, 205, Dana 60/70, MAF, Moet's
Garage
You gonna put Patty in there? Better get a big safe, like a double wide.
post #13 of 31 (permalink) Old 01-10-2017, 09:37 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by nc_fireman View Post
There are lots of videos on YouTube about buying gun safes and what to look for in them.
Thanks, I been looking on youtube and found something I didn't think about.

Quote:
Originally Posted by White Dragon View Post
Me thinks that Iffin' your going to put the Safe on the 2nd Floor of your home,
you should check the "Floor Joist" Layout carefully...

Safes, Toys & Ammo get Heavy in a hurry.

If you find a Closet for it, you could lift the carpet and Cut / Add a piece of 3/4" "Plywood" (Not O.S.B.)
to fit the dimension of said room / closet and anchor the Plywood to the floor joists below,
and reinstall the carpet and trim.
Then anchor the Safe through the carpet and both layers of substrate into the "Floor Joists".

It'll carry the weight better and wont tip over on the kids. (If you have any)
Added benefit, the "Burglars" cant just pick it up and carry it right on out of your Castle.

just my .02
Yeah I was thinking about all that after watching some videos on them. The size we are looking to get is under 500lbs and in some of the videos I seen people had them upstairs. I know once you add the guns and ammo it will get heavy quick, so that's something else I have to think about now.

post #14 of 31 (permalink) Old 01-10-2017, 09:45 PM
FSM Lifetime

Bronco Info: 1978 Round headlight, 351M,C6, 9", 44/1991, 445 FE, t19, 205, Dana 60/70, MAF, Moet's
Garage
Seriously though, I placed a 5/16 aluminum plate a little larger than my dads safe to distribute the load as we have old wood tongue and groove floors. With the weight he has in there and the size of the safe there is no worries of someone running off with it. If you really were concerned about weight and stability you could run some lags into the wall behind it as most wall are load bearing and would help distribute load. Best safe I have seen is the Sentry is is truly a fire safe vault and if there were to be a fire discharged ammo would not penetrate it.

Last edited by 445 FE Bronco; 01-10-2017 at 09:47 PM.
post #15 of 31 (permalink) Old 01-10-2017, 09:50 PM
FSM Lifetime

Garage
BTW a separate ammo box is not a bad idea either, if ammo walks not the end of the world but if a gun walks that's bad news.
post #16 of 31 (permalink) Old 01-10-2017, 10:12 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by 445 FE Bronco View Post
BTW a separate ammo box is not a bad idea either, if ammo walks not the end of the world but if a gun walks that's bad news.
Yeah I was thinking of a separate ammo box or three Also maybe a smaller safe in our bedroom?

post #17 of 31 (permalink) Old 01-10-2017, 11:34 PM
FSM Lifetime

Garage
Keep your friends close, keep your gun closer EH. I always knock on the door before waking the old man up, he sleeps with his 45.
post #18 of 31 (permalink) Old 01-10-2017, 11:37 PM

Bronco Info: '96 Black 302 XLT - '94 Green 351 E. B. both are E4OD, 3.55 axles, 31 10.50x15
A safe in your bedroom? If you have kids at home, a bedroom safe is a good idea to keep the gun(s) out of curious hands, but the trade off is that you'll have to manipulate the lock in a stressful and possibly dark situation. The only time a gun is an advantage is when it is in your hand, not in a holster, a safe, a desk drawer, etc. IN YOUR HAND!
Remember, when seconds count, the police are only minutes away.
BikerPepe` and White Dragon like this.

"The simplest solution is usually the best solution" - Occam's Razor

"The significant problems we face cannot be solved at the same level of thinking we were at when we created them." - Albert Einstein
post #19 of 31 (permalink) Old 01-10-2017, 11:49 PM
FSM Lifetime

Garage
I got two dogs one upstairs and one downstairs, best alarm system around. A rabbit comes in the yard and the dogs go bonkers, it's amazing how they can see and hear stuff from miles away like a car approaching that is unfamilure and know the difference between vehicles by sound. I do have the advantage of being isolated on a farm so traffic is pretty light but if I were in a densely populated area things might be different. I did have someone break into the house I was renting a couple years ago and before I even knew it the dog had em by the ass and on the floor, in that case my dog took care of business before I even woke up. I whacked the guy with a bar stool and he took a nap till the cops showed up. The officer asked me if I had a gun and I said no but I got the devils dog.
White Dragon likes this.
post #20 of 31 (permalink) Old 01-11-2017, 07:47 AM

Bronco Info: 1996 Eddie Bauer 5.8L
@445 FE Bronco I hope the dog was greatly rewarded with a steak.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Ford Bronco Forum > Other Forums > Anything Else

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Bronco Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself. DO NOT USE Gmail.com accounts. If you only have a Gmail.com email please contact the administrator here

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode