New Craigslist game - Ford Bronco Forum
 15Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 23 (permalink) Old 02-16-2017, 06:28 PM Thread Starter

Bronco Info: (4)78/79 Bronco, 1979 F150 Supercab 4x4, 1977 F250 Highboy
New Craigslist game

Hey guys, I'm sure many of you are sick of seeing the BS CL ads.
I say lets start a contest and see who can flag the most of these B.S. ads.
I am not condoning banning ads that are not obvious or are not proven to be scams.
I have replied to at least a dozen ads for ATV's in the last 3 weeks that were all scams. I know I should and I do expect that the too good to be true ones are scams, but damn Jackie!! There are hundreds of them just in the ATV group alone. How many 10 of thousands are there in the U.S. CL alone? we'll be doing everyone a favor.
By the way, If they respond with a link to more pics after posting only one and say that they want to do everything through eBay or that they will have it delivered for the asking price and that you have 5-7 days inspection it's all B.S.
I know I don't have to tell you guys this stuff, but it may show up in a search by mentioning it here.
Many aren't fans of eBay, but I am surprised that eBay hasn't looked into all of the damage these 'tards are doing to their reputation.
Swamp
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 23 (permalink) Old 02-16-2017, 07:42 PM

Garage
They don't actually use ebay. They send you an email with a link to a fake Ebay "invoice". It doesn't even look real. I flag scams all the time, I hope other people do too because it takes more then one flag for it to be removed

Sent from my SM-G928V using Tapatalk

1990 Bronco Eddie Bauer 5.0L, AOD

1959 Ford Ranch Wagon with a 460/C6
Lowered 3 inches, Mexican blanket interior, and just the right amount of patina.
post #3 of 23 (permalink) Old 02-16-2017, 09:48 PM
Foolsize Member

Bronco Info: They multiply when I'm not looking.
BS ads on Craigslist are usually pretty easy to pick out, but CL isn't exactly swimming with trustworthy or sane individuals to beginwith.

My checklist for anything vehicle related:
-Pictures are a must
-Pictures that are grainy (that have been copy/pasted 1000 times) or look like something off google images are a red flag
-Descriptions less than 1-2 sentences are a red flag
-Poor grammar (keyboard vomit) is a red flag
-Listing nothing but a vehicles positive aspects or mods can be a red flag unless its brand new

And that's just reading the ad. Then you respond to it and risk dealing with people who wont take calls, want money wired to crazy places, or try to send a "representative" to meet you.

Use Ebay, cycle trader, auto trader, or community forums. They either have buyer protection programs or systems to deal with scammers. I've also heard alot of good things about FB buy/sell/trade pages, you can check their profiles before you decide to meet someone. Flagging CL ads is just wasting your time and internet data, scammers make a living out of posting that shit and monitoring the results, they just repost it once it goes down.

Dylan

1992 XLT 300/M5OD
1978 Custom 351M/C6
1991 XLT 351W/Blown Up E4OD
post #4 of 23 (permalink) Old 02-17-2017, 09:42 AM
Fullsize Member

Bronco Info: 1995 XL
Garage
I pay close attention to the pics, often the background in the photo doesn't reflect the geographical area the ad is posted in. ie, maple trees in the background and the item is posted in the desert southwest. No email or phone # is a red flag too

Giving condolence is like masturbation. It feels good for the person doing it - But it does nothing for the person who they are thinking about
post #5 of 23 (permalink) Old 02-17-2017, 01:16 PM
Harley's & Bronco's FTW!

Bronco Info: '95 XLT, 5.8/E4OD/MassAir/6" lift/4.56's/35x12.5 BFG AT-KO2
Garage
I buy and sell shit on CL all the time. not everyone on there is a scammer, a spammer or a scumbag.

"When life throws you a curve... LEAN INTO IT!"

SuperMotors - Since 2002
post #6 of 23 (permalink) Old 02-17-2017, 01:35 PM

Bronco Info: 96 XLT
Garage
A good number of the buyers on Craigslist are scammers - most of the scams are rather amusing such as "I'm on an oil-rig and can't access my bank account" or "I'm buying this for my Dad as a gift". The biggest concern is to keep yourself safe - meet the seller/buyer in a public place, preferably a place that has video surveillance.

Do your research to ensure that what you're buying isn't stolen and if possible, work with Wire Transfers because they're NOT reversible. I've purchased thru PayPal and they're lying MFs who do NOT honor their 90-day money-back guarantee. I purchased a transmission from a shop in San Antonio that turned out to be JUNK - PayPal refused my claim b/c, by installing the unit, I "significantly altered" the trans - idiots.

Haz-Matt Racing
post #7 of 23 (permalink) Old 02-17-2017, 05:07 PM

Bronco Info: 1996 EB, 351w, basically stock. 1981 custom 351m, long gone.
Garage
My first red flag is when i go to craigslist. And i go from there
BikerPepe` likes this.

it's fun to do bad things

my "build" thread
post #8 of 23 (permalink) Old 02-17-2017, 05:18 PM

Bronco Info: 1981 w/302
Garage
My 1995 F250 PowerStroke came from Craigslist (local, 75 miles), 1981 Bronco came from Craigslist (local, down the street), the brush guard on the Bronco came from Craigslist, 1987 Avion travel trailer came from Craigslist (1000 miles north), 6x10 enclosed trailer came from Craigslist (local, 75 miles), Cub Cadet 123 garden tractor (local, 100 miles), Speedex garden tractor (local, 100 miles), Craftsman garden tractor (local, 10 miles), front blade for Craftsman garden tractor (local, 125 miles).......

Man! That's a lot of stuff, now that I list it all in one place!

I know I'm not a scumbag, and none of the sellers I dealt with were scumbags.... ( hmmmm, maybe it's like crazy people..... they don't know they are crazy!)

I'll be the first to admit, though. You have to be very careful. Maybe my scumbag/scam meter works well?
post #9 of 23 (permalink) Old 02-17-2017, 06:11 PM

Bronco Info: 96 XLT
Garage
It's not that I haven't bought and sold on Craigslist BUT it takes alot of skepticism before I'll trust anyone on those boards, just out of principle (because I don't know them and haven't met them face-to-face).

When I sold my motorcycle, it was so bad that I included the following in my ad:

If YOU are personally unable to view the motorcycle and send your representative, there will be a $150 NON-REFUNDABLE service charge added to the selling price.

Haz-Matt Racing
post #10 of 23 (permalink) Old 02-17-2017, 08:42 PM

Bronco Info: 1993 Ford Bronco XLT 5.8l Stock (except for all of the missing stuff)
Garage
Unhappy

I have bought and sold dozens of things on CL. There are a lot of scams, and getting more. I sold an old car on CL a few years ago. The first guy was ready to pay cash. He suddenly decided not to when I pulled out a counterfeit marking pen. Telling the buyer "cash in hand only" turns away a lot. The other thing is telling them to write something in the subject line can avoid bots. Some bots are smarter than others, though. "write what color my car is in the subject line" yields, "what color my car is", lol.

Ryn0
1993 Bronco XLT 5.8l finally got named "Oscar" (the Grouch)
post #11 of 23 (permalink) Old 02-17-2017, 09:24 PM
Harley's & Bronco's FTW!

Garage
Think I may have just sold my '90 FSB to a tweeker off Craigslist.
Got a $200 deposit... so I guess we'll see if he comes out in the daylight.

SuperMotors - Since 2002
post #12 of 23 (permalink) Old 02-18-2017, 07:33 PM

Bronco Info: 1979 $300
Around here I see ads for a vehicle with lush green grass and trees around it. That's a Red flag for me!

post #13 of 23 (permalink) Old 02-18-2017, 10:02 PM Thread Starter

Just so you guys know that I didn't mean to insinuate that all CL sellers are dirtbags. I have bought and sold a lot of stuff there. Most of the scams are easy to spot like the latest one I saw which was a 2013 Can Am 650 for $2073. The odd, cheap prices are a dead give away.
I just wasted three hours today to check out a 95 F250 with an 8' Western plow. It had a fair amount of rust, but was fairly straight. The guy communicated well and emailed with me right up until the time I had to leave to get to the meeting place. Then nothing. Zilch. Never heard another word. Several calls to the number provided, half dozen texts and a couple of emails. It wasn't some amazing deal, just a pretty good one for something that I could really use. Oh well, all I'm really out is a little time and a few bucks for gas.
Swamp
BikerPepe` likes this.
post #14 of 23 (permalink) Old 02-18-2017, 11:59 PM
Harley's & Bronco's FTW!

Garage
You're not alone. I still haven't heard from the tweeker who was supposed to pick up the Bronco today.
We made agreed on a price and a day and I took a small bit of his money. If he doesn't get back ahold of me by 10 pm tonight, I'll be contacting another guy who wants to come see it tomorrow at 10 am. Hate to do it... but I've called and texted this other guy 3 times (each) today and no response at all.

Makes me feel bad... but a deals a deal and I held up my end. Can't bitch if you don't hold up yours.
Why would anyone do something so stupid? Meth is bad!
dash_cam likes this.

SuperMotors - Since 2002
post #15 of 23 (permalink) Old 02-19-2017, 08:10 AM Thread Starter

Pepe', I was in your position once for a sale on eBay. I sold a Mullinari race boat for a guy. The deal was for me to get a down payment within 24 hrs of auction end. The guy sent me $500 through PayPal. Then there was nothing. After about 10 emails asking if he still wanted the boat he answered yes. Then I never heard anything again. I kept the money in my PayPal for many months because I just couldn't bring myself to take his money. I think it was like 6 months before I finally pulled the money and put it in my account.
Still sad about that F250 yesterday. I really could have used it and the price was low enough I probably could have made a little money If I needed to. Oh well. The hunt is most of the fun anyway.
Swamp
BikerPepe` likes this.
post #16 of 23 (permalink) Old 02-19-2017, 09:25 AM

Bronco Info: 86 EB Bronco pretty much stock on 32s and a 79 on 39.5 Boggers
Garage
Ive bought a bunch of crap off Craigslist. I am a non-trusting person I guess and always have my Kimber on me when I go to meet anyone off of there... The only thing I have ever listed on there was an '11 GT500, the only responses I got was people offering 20k. I had it listed for 29 to get rid of it fast. Ended up selling it on a local facebook for sale group.
post #17 of 23 (permalink) Old 02-19-2017, 10:00 AM
Resident Nice Guy

Bronco Info: 1979 Ranger XLT, 351m, 4 speed
Garage
I've sold all kinds of stuff on CL, bikes, autos, guitars, lathes, drums, amps, and on and on and on. The deals have always gone well and I enjoy the attempted scams as I like to string them along as long as possible. It's a past time of mine:

Quote:
To: Me

YOU

iam the diplomat with your consignment,iam in new york call me on 716 810 4314

Donald Swiger

To: Spammer

Donald,

It seems that I've lost my cell phone whilst artificially inseminating a cow. Is there any chance that we can deal with my consignment via email?

thanks,
ME

i have cleared the consignment ,i have to proceed to ur address.it will cost $850 to transport your consignment to you,waiting for your response urgently

Donald,

If I understand you correctly and you have proceeded to my address.it, can't you just simply ring my doorbell.gr and hand me the consignment once I open the door.us? I only ask because I'm not sure how I'm supposed to get the $850 to you.

Please respond quickly as I had saved this money to pay for my mother's much needed life-saving heart surgery, and I'm afraid that if I don't hear from you soon, I'll choose the surgery and miss out on what I can only assume is a fantastic specimen of a consignment.

Hoping to hear from you soon,
ME

THE $850 REQUIRED IS TO TRANSPORT YOUR CONSIGNMENT TO YOU.I WILL PROCEED BACK IF YOU DID NOT COMPLY

I SEE THAT WE HAVE NOW PROGRESSED TO USING ONLY CAPITAL LETTERS IN OUR EMAIL CORRESPONDENCE. UNTIL INSTRUCTED TO DO OTHERWISE BY YOU, I WILL DRAFT MY MESSAGES WITH NO LOWER CASE LETTERS, SO AS NOT TO ANGER YOU ANY FURTHER.

AS STATED IN MY PREVIOUS EMAIL, I UNDERSTAND THAT I NEED TO GIVE YOU $850. I JUST DON'T KNOW HOW TO GET IT TO YOU. I HAVE A FRIEND THAT RAISES CARRIER PIGEONS, BUT I DON'T THINK THAT IT CAN CARRY THAT MANY SINGLES(MY SAVINGS ARE GENERATED FROM MY OCCUPATION AS A MALE STRIPPER AT A LOCAL REST HOME, HENCE THE SMALL DENOMINATION OF THE BILLS. THAT IS, OF COURSE, THE ONLY THING THAT'S SMALL, IF YOU GET MY DRIFT(WINK, WINK)). IF YOU WILL SIMPLY INSTRUCT ME ON HOW TO PAY YOU, WE CAN BE DONE WITH THIS BUSINESS, AND YOU CAN TRAVEL BACK TO YOUR HOMELAND, WHERE I'M SURE YOU'RE WELL RESPECTED AND EVEN FEARED.

I HAVE ALREADY TOLD MY MOM THAT I LOST MY MONEY IN A COCK-FIGHTING MATCH. I FIGURED IT'S BEST THAT I COME UP WITH A COVER STORY IN CASE I'M ABLE TO WORK SOMETHING OUT WITH YOU AND SHE HAS TO DIE.

I EAGERLY AWAIT YOUR RESPONSE,
me

i have cleared the consignment ,i have to proceed to ur address.it will cost $850 to transport your consignment to you,waiting for your response urgently.send $850 to approve the delivery ticket to the head qrauter in Atlanta G via western union to mrs RITA WALTER,they will send the ticket to me in new york

GODDAMMIT DONALD, I HADN'T HEARD FROM YOU IN FOREVER AND PAID FOR MY MOTHER'S BREAST AUGMENTATION(SHE ELECTED TO HAVE THEM ENLARGED INSTEAD OF THE HEART SURGERY, SHE SAID SHE WANTED TO LOOK GOOD IN THE CASKET).

NOW THAT I DON'T HAVE ANY MONEY TO GET YOU HERE, I'M GOING TO HAVE TO COME TO YOU TO RECEIVE MY FUNDS.

I'M GOING TO NEED $850 FOR A PLANE TICKET.

YOURS,
me

please stop wasting our time.

This is my signature. There are many like it, but this one is mine.
My signature is my best friend. It is my life. I must master it as I must master my life.

Schwim! A social site with an identity crisis.
post #18 of 23 (permalink) Old 02-19-2017, 01:10 PM
Harley's & Bronco's FTW!

Garage
well... I still haven't heard back from the clown that gave me the $200 deposit. I contacted the "other" guy and apparently he's one of the guys that already came out to check it over and test drive it. since he's already seen it... I'll be driving to town this afternoon and taking the Bronco to meet him at the mall for delivery and payment. we were heading to town this afternoon anyway, so that's working out well.
I'll keep the tweekers $200 and leave it aside for awhile. IF he does contact me again, I'll offer to mail it back to him... assuming he has an actual address somewhere.
White Dragon likes this.

SuperMotors - Since 2002
post #19 of 23 (permalink) Old 02-20-2017, 07:03 PM
Resident Nice Guy

Bronco Info: 1979 Ranger XLT, 351m, 4 speed
Garage
Alright, let's spread the workload and share the scam links. All of us flagging them will get them shut down more quickly.

Tonight's Western NC contribution: https://asheville.craigslist.org/cto/6012038976.html

This is my signature. There are many like it, but this one is mine.
My signature is my best friend. It is my life. I must master it as I must master my life.

Schwim! A social site with an identity crisis.
post #20 of 23 (permalink) Old 02-21-2017, 08:23 PM Thread Starter

here are some of the latest ones

I'll wait a little bit before I flag them. I flagged a couple before I remembered to post them. One was a pair of 05 400 Sportsman w/ trailer for like $2k and change. I found it at least 75 times all over the U.S.
https://greenbay.craigslist.org/snw/6014001233.html
https://chicago.craigslist.org/chc/snw/6013750667.html

Swamp

Ford Bronco Forum > Other Forums > Anything Else

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Bronco Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself. DO NOT USE Gmail.com accounts. If you only have a Gmail.com email please contact the administrator here

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode