The time has come to bring my F150 back to life. - Ford Bronco Forum
 1Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 24 (permalink) Old 02-28-2017, 08:35 PM Thread Starter

Bronco Info: 89 F150...close to a Bronco?
The time has come to bring my F150 back to life.

Hey everyone,

I used to be a somewhat active member on here, and I've been lurking around in the Anything else section for quite awhile. After we had our second child, I pretty much parked the truck due to transmission problems, and concentrated on my GTP.

Anyways, zip ahead 3 years, and there it sets. My grandpa passed last year, so it's getting fixed and back on the road. Like I said, it's been sitting for 3 years, so here's what I remember being the problems.

1.) Engine. It's a 302 with 84k, with an HO roller cam advanced 4*, GT40P, Mustang headers, MAF conversion, PCV reroute, rubber vacuum lines, and Explorer injectors. It always ran a bit rough, and if I didn't roll into the throttle, it'd fall on it's face. I never quite figured it out because the transmission problems were way worse. It also leaked from the rear of the engine somewhere, which I believe to be the oil pan. I know I chased my tail multiple times thinking my RMS was leaking, even sleeved the crank at one point to try and plug the leak. THEN I put some dye in and saw it come from the oil pan. I changed the gasket (again) and it still leaked. Again, never won this battle. Transmission lost the war.

2.) Transmission. F*ck the TV cable. No seriously. What started out as a normal Trangso shift kit install on the AOD started the problems that would eventually park this truck. I have very vivid and horrid memories of pulling over to adjust that thing one tooth this way or that. I tried setting it with a pressure gauge, both with driving and with the spacer, I lubed the cable, I did everything I could think of. Oh, and naturally along the way I installed a drain plug into the pan, and that leaks, too.

Onto the repairs and what not. I'm going to buy a Silverfox AOD Constant Pressure VB, and do away with that stupid TV cable. I've heard plenty of good things about Silverfox, if anyone has any input on the subject, please chime in. I'm going to buy a oil pan, and a new transmission pan, again any input, please speak up. I don't want to spend too much on pans, but I want something of good quality. As far as the engine is concerned, I'm going to replace the (stock) valve springs with some from Alex (https://www.alexsparts.com/sb-ford-g...ller-580-lift/), and I'll probably put some Mustang 3.8l rockers in place of the stock rockers. I've read they are 1.73:1 vs the stock 1.6:1. Oh, and I have some Headman long tube headers that I'm going to try and fit.

As far as what's happened from sitting so long. 2 new batteries (I have a dual battery setup), all new fluids, check\grease suspension, and pull spark plugs to put a cap of MMO in each hole. Then disconnect the fuel line at the filter and hardwire the fuel pump to pump itself mostly dry (I don't even remember how much gas is in it), and maybe put some new gas in towards the end so I don't burn up the pump? Then replace fuel filter, of course.

I'll get pics as soon as I begin the project, and depending on work, should be this weekend.

89 F-150 5.0l AOD 2x4 Longbed, 3.55 LS 80,XXX Original Miles, GT40Ps, Roller, MAF, Custom Y-pipe, Mustang headers, 3g Alt, Big 3+ Upgrade, Rerouted PCV, Dual Taurus E-fans, Sixlitre Tune-up, Explorer Injectors, Remote mounted ICM, Insulated Intake tubing\Filter Box Mod, Rubber Vacuum System, Tranny cooler, Remote Tranny filter, Saginaw P\S swap, F350 MC\Booster\Rear clyinders, Autopage Remote Start, 9007 conversion, so much more.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 24 (permalink) Old 02-28-2017, 09:35 PM

Bronco Info: driving a 78 rusty piece o crap owned 23 yrs, and working on another 78 bronco,mint,460
Garage
good luck on the resurrection
sorry cant help on the aod issues
post #3 of 24 (permalink) Old 03-01-2017, 10:37 AM
Foolsize Member

Bronco Info: They multiply when I'm not looking.
I never messed with a TV cable until I bought my POS 88. It refuses to shift until the engine is screaming at what i'd guess is around 4000 rpm or so. Ive adjusted that TV to death and its changed absolutely nothing as far as how it drives. I've also yet to have it to grab OD
Whats the deal on that VB your looking at?

Dylan

1992 XLT 300/M5OD
1978 Custom 351M/C6
1991 XLT 351W/Blown Up E4OD
post #4 of 24 (permalink) Old 03-01-2017, 12:07 PM Thread Starter

It basically does away with the TV cable entirely. It's not cheap, but I'm willing to pay the price to stay away from that damned TV cable. Let me find a link...

VB AOD

Also, I think I may have found out the Mustang rockers won't fit. I can't really find any type of concrete info on the subject, so I might have to pass that up. If I could find a cam for a decent price I might consider that, but who knows.

89 F-150 5.0l AOD 2x4 Longbed, 3.55 LS 80,XXX Original Miles, GT40Ps, Roller, MAF, Custom Y-pipe, Mustang headers, 3g Alt, Big 3+ Upgrade, Rerouted PCV, Dual Taurus E-fans, Sixlitre Tune-up, Explorer Injectors, Remote mounted ICM, Insulated Intake tubing\Filter Box Mod, Rubber Vacuum System, Tranny cooler, Remote Tranny filter, Saginaw P\S swap, F350 MC\Booster\Rear clyinders, Autopage Remote Start, 9007 conversion, so much more.
post #5 of 24 (permalink) Old 03-02-2017, 01:10 AM Thread Starter

Well, I talked to Dan today, and the VB is ordered. I guess the constant pressure VB doesn't do away with the TV cable, so I'm not going that route. I ended up with an SPT-1 VB, and it'll be here within 2-3 weeks.

I also went ahead and ordered 2 solenoids, an alternator pulley, and a few other odds and ends. Still looking at transmission pans, anyone have any input? Also, is replacing the oil pan the right thing at this point? Not sure what else would cause a leak at this location.

post #6 of 24 (permalink) Old 03-02-2017, 10:38 AM

Bronco Info: 85 Bronco, 306ci I6 w/4bbl, np435, 4" lift, 37" Irok NDs, 4.56 w/ Detroit Locker and tru trac
Garage
Stamped steel pans, whether trans or engine, like to warp when improperly torqued. This causes an unfixable leak. Just had the stock pan on my c6 swapped with a summit racing cast aluminum one. The bolt flange is a good 1/4 inch thick, and should not warp.

94 Bronco XLT. Beefy 351, 6" , 37's, 4.88: burnt
85 Bronco custom, 4" 37's, locked 4.56, 300 i6 4 bbl, np435/208
96 f350 XL, rclb, 351, c6, BW4407 xfer
78 f150 Ranger, 351m, t18, np205, rusty
90 f150, 95 f250, 96 f350 psd: stolen, sold, and burnt, respectively.
post #7 of 24 (permalink) Old 03-02-2017, 11:12 AM Thread Starter

Kinda what I was thinking. I remember religiously using my torque wrench, but who knows. I was literally just having this conversation with my wife, and while no decision was made, the aluminum pan is seeming to be the way to go. I should probably just go ahead and buy it while I have myself talked into it.

Oh, money actually changed hands on the VB this morning, so it's coming. Just gotta wait. I also found out that I have to work Saturday, so there probably won't be much getting done on her this weekend. I'll only have one day off, and I have some KYB AGX's and a new axle to install on the GTP. Not really much to do to the truck right now except cleaning anyways. Maybe some exploratory surgery, but that's about it. I don't have any parts yet, they're all on the way. I supposed I might pull the plugs and put some oil in the cylinders, just to get that process started.

post #8 of 24 (permalink) Old 03-03-2017, 12:16 AM
House of Windsor 4ever!

Bronco Info: 79 Ranchero GT/97 Eddie Bauer Exploder 5.0 AWD
Garage
A) With all the mods done on the engine, it's hard to say what caused the rough-run condition. The truck induction setup is not really a good one for big mods, but certainly delivers when the engine's trimmed stock. It would likely take someone with a decent scantool, a breakout box with DMM and a smoke machine to be able to go through to figure out why the engine's the way it is.
B) You won't need any fresh gasoline for pumping it out, as the system will not be under pressure. BUT, if it has the frame-mounted reservoir, I would recommend it get replaced no matter what, because there's no telling what three years of sitting has done, then just use the in-tank pump to drain the tank. Get it cleaned out, to ensure there's no rust from water condensate trapped inside.
C) It'll be interesting to see what your trans does with the VB. If I may ask, what did you pay for it? I have an AOD in storage waiting to be rebuilt and installed on Babe, my '79 Ranchero GT. BTW, a member on Ranchero.us recommends the Lokar TV cable, says it's light-years better than the factory stock one.

[Silver70] In 100 years, when astronauts visit the landing site, they'll stumble upon the little FSB rover with a busted driveshaft, twisted up on a moon-rock flexing the SAS, and think, "Man... those things can go anywhere. Screw Jeep."
post #9 of 24 (permalink) Old 03-03-2017, 01:31 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Handy_andy_cv64 View Post
A) With all the mods done on the engine, it's hard to say what caused the rough-run condition. The truck induction setup is not really a good one for big mods, but certainly delivers when the engine's trimmed stock. It would likely take someone with a decent scantool, a breakout box with DMM and a smoke machine to be able to go through to figure out why the engine's the way it is.
B) You won't need any fresh gasoline for pumping it out, as the system will not be under pressure. BUT, if it has the frame-mounted reservoir, I would recommend it get replaced no matter what, because there's no telling what three years of sitting has done, then just use the in-tank pump to drain the tank. Get it cleaned out, to ensure there's no rust from water condensate trapped inside.
C) It'll be interesting to see what your trans does with the VB. If I may ask, what did you pay for it? I have an AOD in storage waiting to be rebuilt and installed on Babe, my '79 Ranchero GT. BTW, a member on Ranchero.us recommends the Lokar TV cable, says it's light-years better than the factory stock one.
I'm going to start with valve springs on the heads, to see how that goes. As far as anything else, I'll basically address what I can once it's up and "running." Rockers won't be happening at this point, I don't want to introduce something else that could cause problems. The way it sets now, it's basically a stock Mustang GT HO engine, except for the fact the cam is advanced and it has GT40P heads on it. IIRC, it has a Mustang ECM in it right now. I'd have to look it up, but A9L rings a bell.

As far as the reservoir, I've torn it apart before, so I'll (try to) tear it apart again to see if I can get everything out of it.

The VB was $309 shipped, after paypal fees and what not. No mention of a core refund or anything like that as of yet. I'm REALLY hoping this VB fixes everything transmission related, but I sincerely doubt it. It will tell me that the VB is good, and my problem is elsewhere, though. Next step on the list will probably be a new TV cable, a Lokar if they have one for the EFI trucks.

On a side note, my wife is scaring me. She's actually helping. She cleaned out everything underneath the truck, and weather permitting, she'll be cleaning the outside (body) tomorrow. She isn't a gear head by any means, so she won't be under the hood, which is fine. That leaves me able to concentrate my efforts where I need to. I also found some pics of the truck in her prime:

post #10 of 24 (permalink) Old 03-03-2017, 01:54 AM
Fullsize Member

Bronco Info: 1986 Bronco XLT 4x4 -AOD -Warn Hubs, NEW stock 302EFI (2008) All MSD ignition, 9mm FMSR wires
I have an 86 EFI 5.0 with an AOD and I had mine rebuilt back in 2004 for around $1300.00 and maybe has 18-20K miles on it now but never had any issues with the TV cable adjustment:

I would to like know more about this Silverfox AOD, where to buy and how much it costs........?

Thanks and good luck ~
BurlyQ likes this.
post #11 of 24 (permalink) Old 03-03-2017, 09:56 AM Thread Starter

I followed that video, I followed service manuals, I tried everything. Here's the Silverfox link:
Home

post #12 of 24 (permalink) Old 03-04-2017, 03:25 AM
House of Windsor 4ever!

Garage
Yeah, the more I think about it, the more iI feel the truck induction's not all that suited to the engine and heads. Luckily, the GT40P heads are fairly close to the E7TE (correct P/N?) heads the Mustang HO 5.0's had. You could do an experiment of buying the induction pieces that were used in the Mustang and see if it clears up. With the MAF, and the A9L computer, you should be able to adapt to the changes put on the engine, as long as the architecture all matches together.

[Silver70] In 100 years, when astronauts visit the landing site, they'll stumble upon the little FSB rover with a busted driveshaft, twisted up on a moon-rock flexing the SAS, and think, "Man... those things can go anywhere. Screw Jeep."
post #13 of 24 (permalink) Old 03-04-2017, 10:32 AM

Hey Booba,
I have always been a fan of your truck. I really like the engine bay picks you have and try to replicate some of what you are doing. I am surprised you are having so much difficulty setting your TV cable. I had my AOD out of my truck a couple of times now but seemed to easily be able to set the TV with some trial and error. I think I have mine set just a pinch tight but it helps the truck hold a gear longer.

When me and a buddy built my 302, 15ish years ago we put too big of a cam in it and it would not idle in closed loop with the SD system. It would surge and choke, I bring this up because I had a really bad oil leak from the back of the engine that I assumed was from the RM. A couple of years ago I made an overlay harness and bought an A9P computer and converted to MAF. The 302 runs great and the oil leak stopped. I wounder if your oil leaks are related to your rough running condition like mine?

Vochy: '06 F-150, Black Supercab Short box, 5.4L 4x4 XLT, 1" Daystar Leveling Kit, 275 70 R17 BFG A/T KO's
88' F-150 Black Short Box, 302 4x4, true dual flowmater 2in exaust, Mustang equal length headers, 31X10.50 R15 BFG A/T KO's, New Doors and Fenders installed, MAF conversion, Six Liter Tune up, Saginaw Power Steering Pump upgrade, P&P GT40 Heads, 3G Alt Upgrade, D44 SAS and 9" rear in-process.
post #14 of 24 (permalink) Old 03-06-2017, 01:06 AM
House of Windsor 4ever!

Garage
You know, you'd think that A9P computer and the MAF would compensate for the changes in the engine. I would love to do the diagnosis for you, just to tackle the challenge. When you're ready to do so, do your best to find an EEC IV breakout box with which to perform the basic measurements, and some of the intermediate measurements.

post #15 of 24 (permalink) Old 03-06-2017, 09:15 PM Thread Starter

One the truck is going, I'll keep that in mind Andy, lol. I was able to finish up the work on the car this last weekend, so the truck is the only thing on the chopping block for awhile. I would have done some work on the truck, but I didn't have any parts. Today I got the first 2 packages, so this weekend or during the week before work things will start happening. It won't be on the road for at least 2-3 weeks though, since that's roughly how long it'll take the VB to be completed and shipped to me.

I'm anxious to get this thing going again! My boy (who is 5, and will get this truck someday) was out helping (watching) me fix the car and when we started talking about the truck the first thing he said was "Oh yea, that was my Great-Grandpa Jack's truck. He was my Great-Granpda because he's so great, not because he's your Grandpa. Yea, he's in heaven now." That alone reignited every want and desire I ever had to get this truck going.

post #16 of 24 (permalink) Old 03-07-2017, 12:48 AM
House of Windsor 4ever!

Garage
That's hilarious, and so great. "Kids say the darndest things."

post #17 of 24 (permalink) Old 03-07-2017, 12:53 PM Thread Starter

Oh yea, Danny only got to meet my grandpa once, but he knows all about him. He taught me all the wood working I know so Danny heard all about it when we were building the swing set, when we go fishing, etc. The truck hasn't run since he was 2, but he'll still go out and sit in it and act like he's driving, tells his sister to put her seat belt on, haha.

Anyways, I'm looking at these valve springs...thoughts?

https://www.alexsparts.com/sb-ford-g...ft-vsk7h49-13/

post #18 of 24 (permalink) Old 03-08-2017, 02:25 AM
House of Windsor 4ever!

Garage
I'd say, at first blush, yes they'd work, but when I reread your engine description, you didn't mention which hydraulic roller cam you have, so I would say follow the mfr.'s suggestion of sending them your cam's specs and let them say yes or no. And pay the extra for the Viton seals.

post #19 of 24 (permalink) Old 03-08-2017, 01:28 PM Thread Starter

I already have Viton seals on it, so those should still be good. It's a Mustang HO cam, but eventually there will be a performance cam of some sort in there, or possibly in the 351w that gets built. I'm sure that .550" would be more than enough for whatever cam I get.

post #20 of 24 (permalink) Old 03-08-2017, 02:18 PM Thread Starter

Awesome! I got word that the VB is on the way and will be here tomorrow (we're in the same state). I also found out that we're not working Saturday, so I should be able to get a bit done on it. If I can track down a transmission pan, it might even be running this weekend.

Ford Bronco Forum > Other Forums > Anything Else

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Bronco Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself. DO NOT USE Gmail.com accounts. If you only have a Gmail.com email please contact the administrator here

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode