49Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 24 (permalink) Old 04-17-2017, 04:49 PM Thread Starter
JULY '16 F.O.T.M.

Bronco Info: 1996 EB
Garage
In a rut...

Hey guys,
I need some help. Seems like I am in a Bronco rut. I just don't have the same interest in wrenching on my Bronco anymore. Anyone else go through this? Ideas on how to get out of it? I'm not depressed or anything, just seem to have lost the focus I once had on building it.

1996 Eddie Bauer 351W/E40D/Dana 44, TTB R 8.8 (4.56 F&R), 6" Lift, 35x13.50 Toyo MTs, sag PS, 1 ton brakes, off-road bumpers, Warn 15K, Edelbrock intakes, lots 'O lights.
Build thread: http://www.fullsizebronco.com/forum/...d.php?t=352625
Supermord site: http://www.supermotors.net/registry/26920
July 2016 F.S.O.T.M
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 24 (permalink) Old 04-17-2017, 05:14 PM
Foolsize Member

Bronco Info: They multiply when I'm not looking.
I went through the same thing after I bought 3 other Bronco's and a BMW. I dont have time or money to fix it all so I have to pick and choose things one at a time.

What i've always found helps is looking through picture threads and seeing different mods and trucks in action. Gives me new ideas and motivation to go and out work on something
96bronco likes this.

1992 XLT 300/M5OD
1978 Custom 351M/C6
1991 XLT 351W/Blown Up E4OD
1988 Custom 302/AOD
post #3 of 24 (permalink) Old 04-17-2017, 05:33 PM

Bronco Info: 86 EB Bronco pretty much stock on 32s and a 79 on 39.5 Boggers
Garage
I have to have a couple of projects in the shop so I can go from one to another when I loose interest or get aggravated.
96bronco and Elliott000 like this.
post #4 of 24 (permalink) Old 04-17-2017, 06:00 PM
Charlie doesn't surf!!

Bronco Info: 1992 xlt, 351EFI, .040, E4OD, D44 SAS w/Trutrac,Detroit locked 8.8, MAF conv, Tweeced
Garage
been there done that..happens to everyone..found myself enjoying it more when I was taking it out and using it.
post #5 of 24 (permalink) Old 04-17-2017, 06:47 PM
House of Windsor 4ever!

Bronco Info: 79 Ranchero GT/97 Eddie Bauer Exploder 5.0 AWD
Garage
What he said. If you're always tinkering, repairing, addressing emergencies, well then , it's expected you wouldn't be enjoying your rig. And nobody says it has to crawl, run fast or deeply ford mudpits and rivers to be enjoyable. load it up with the family, camping gear and eats and go find a state or national park to pull up and set up camp, go exploring. Take it down the highway, go see something, a museum, a drive-in movie, but just use it.
96bronco, JGR, PJCHANNING and 2 others like this.

[Silver70] In 100 years, when astronauts visit the landing site, they'll stumble upon the little FSB rover with a busted driveshaft, twisted up on a moon-rock flexing the SAS, and think, "Man... those things can go anywhere. Screw Jeep."
post #6 of 24 (permalink) Old 04-17-2017, 06:55 PM
F.O.T.Y. 2016

Bronco Info: 92 302 E4od 35s stak3spd monsterbox 4:88 ectedmaxf/r rcv axles hydro-assist steering sas vair
Garage
Pull out the Bronco Driver Magazine!!!! I think the front cover shows how cool your Bronco is!!!!
96bronco, BigBlue 94, JGR and 1 others like this.

At times it's best to keep one's mouth shut & be thought a fool, than to open it & remove all doubt! Abraham Lincoln

Thank you for Making me FOTY 2016

post #7 of 24 (permalink) Old 04-17-2017, 08:11 PM
Eric

Bronco Info: '88 Bronco XLT, 5.0L, AOD, 33's
If you're looking to upgrade a part, go out and break the existing one. That'll force you to get on it.

"Without a sense of urgency, desire loses its value." - Jim Rohn
96bronco, 92BroncoXLT, JGR and 1 others like this.
post #8 of 24 (permalink) Old 04-18-2017, 09:44 AM Thread Starter
JULY '16 F.O.T.M.

Garage
Thanks guys, glad to hear I am not the only one. Don't get me wrong I still love my Bronco, just not motivated to wrench on it at the movement.

Maybe I do just need to get her out in the hills again and play for a bit. "All build and no play"
itwasFREE!!!! likes this.

1996 Eddie Bauer 351W/E40D/Dana 44, TTB R 8.8 (4.56 F&R), 6" Lift, 35x13.50 Toyo MTs, sag PS, 1 ton brakes, off-road bumpers, Warn 15K, Edelbrock intakes, lots 'O lights.
July 2016 F.S.O.T.M
post #9 of 24 (permalink) Old 04-18-2017, 10:34 AM

Bronco Info: 1996, 351W, E4OD, BFG 33x12.5 KM2, 15x10 Pro Comp, JBG Level Kit
Go out and break it, that should peek your insterest. Good Luck Bro.
96bronco likes this.

Frank
1996 Ford Bronco XLT
2001 Ford Mustang SVT Cobra
2003 Suzuki LT-Z400
post #10 of 24 (permalink) Old 04-18-2017, 10:41 AM

Bronco Info: 85 Bronco, 300 I6 w/4bbl, np435, 4" lift, 37" Irok NDs, 4.56 w/ Detroit Locker and tru trac
Garage
Find a different project, and when the urge to wrench on her come back, get on it.

Or just take the top off and party!

94 Bronco XLT. Beefy 351, 6" , 37's, 4.88: burnt
85 Bronco custom, 4" 37's, locked 4.56, 300 i6 4 bbl, np435/208
96 f350 XL, rclb, 351, c6, BW4407 xfer
78 f150 Ranger, 351m, t18, np205, rusty
90 f150, 95 f250, 96 f350 psd: stolen, sold, and burnt, respectively.
post #11 of 24 (permalink) Old 04-18-2017, 10:43 AM
JAN. '17 F.O.T.M.

Bronco Info: 78 W/400
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigBlue 94 View Post
That's it right there !!!
96bronco and itwasFREE!!!! like this.
post #12 of 24 (permalink) Old 04-18-2017, 01:07 PM

Bronco Info: 1981 Bronco, 4.9L, T18, NP208
Doesn't look like it needs wrenching! As others have said, take it out and enjoy the fruits of your labor!
post #13 of 24 (permalink) Old 04-18-2017, 01:23 PM
September 15 FOTM

Bronco Info: 1992 F-250 custom, 7.3 idi, zf5, 4x4
Garage
Did you plan on working on it one day and take a couple bolts out before staring at it for a hour thinking about how you dont feel like working on it?

1992 f250 turbo intercooled idi
1995 red xlt sport! with 351 ~ Sold
post #14 of 24 (permalink) Old 04-18-2017, 01:48 PM

Bronco Info: 1990 Eddie bauer 302. Bought dead. Runs better n better.
Garage
I'm with SR Willis and everybody else. I'm also in a similar predicament with my '99 GSX-R 600. It's been sitting and the next thing it needs, I've never done before. Ergo, I'm not jazzed about digging in and effing up. That said, my "Serenity" build had slowed to a snails pace because of mechanical repairs and issues with the truck. I enlisted the help of some of my master technicians and friends here and at the dealership and look at me now. I'm specing a tie rod flip, tranny cooler install (parts at home), trail light install (parts at home), upgraded alty and starter (cuz it's ez), and planning my first awesome excursion of 2017 to Indian Valley reservoir. The French have a word for what you're experiencing "en nui" - a feeling of listlessness and restlessness with a lack of desire to motivate. So, toke one, grab a BLM map of your favorite spot and start charting a course you've not yet taken. The mystery of what lies ahead will spur your desire to get into the driver's seat and enjoy your truck. You don't have to go wheeling, just take a drive. I'd recommend the Grand Valley OHV area in Grand Junction/Clifton. When I was there, it was amazing just how much terrain there is to cover. I took the attached pictures when I drove out there for a week back when the little man was still very little. I stayed with my brother in G.J. and we had a blast. I drove all over that area. I love the riverfront park there. It's a great place to bring the poles in the Bronco and toss a line.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	GRAND VALLEY.jpg
Views:	15
Size:	56.8 KB
ID:	101801   Click image for larger version

Name:	GRAND VALLEY PICNIC AREA.jpg
Views:	14
Size:	40.4 KB
ID:	101809   Click image for larger version

Name:	GRAND VALLEY POST PICNIC.jpg
Views:	19
Size:	53.6 KB
ID:	101817   Click image for larger version

Name:	MUDDY OVAL.jpg
Views:	12
Size:	83.1 KB
ID:	101825  

'90 Eddie Bauer 302 5.0 >250k, class E, Stock wheels (if it ain't broke...) rebuilt under hood (oem). HD rotors. R-134A conversion. Flowmaster and 3" single chamber. Custom fishing pole rack. 145k '96 e4oD upgrade. 33" BFG A/T. Modern Am/FM/Bt/CD/USB. 1500w amp/ sub combo. Custom Roof rack. Check out my build thread...http://www.fullsizebronco.com/forum/...d.php?t=281530
post #15 of 24 (permalink) Old 04-18-2017, 04:40 PM

Bronco Info: 78 Bronco Custom 400m project stalled and 96 Bronco XLT
I feel like the same way some times.
Maybe you've just gone as far as you can with that thing. Here is what I'm willing to do for you. I have a 78 that needs a ton of work. I'll just trade you and you'll be force motivated to fix this one if you want to go anywhere. I'm only offering because I'm concerned for you! lol
huck2080 and mrbollero like this.

96 Bronco XLT 5.8L w/ Bassani headers, Y pipe, full stainless 3" exhaust, 6" lift, 3" body lift, 38" Toyo MT's on 16" Mickey Thompson wheels, and 78 Bronco Custom 400M that needs a lot of work
post #16 of 24 (permalink) Old 04-19-2017, 09:47 AM
Fullsize Member

Bronco Info: 89 Bronco, EB 302eng,sixlitre tune up,Edelbrock Upper/Lower & headers,Eaton rear, 192,000+
I know the feeling, having the exact same issue with my Bronco right now as well. Best thing to do is to get there with it and have some fun, hit the trails etc. Unfortunately, my issue stems from dumping a huge sum of cash on it with zero return and a lack of faith that if I do take it out, she will get me home under her own power.

But hey sure does look pretty sitting in the driveway.
PJCHANNING likes this.

post #17 of 24 (permalink) Old 04-19-2017, 11:01 AM Thread Starter
JULY '16 F.O.T.M.

Garage
Sorry in advance for the massive quote replies below. I do really appreciate everyone taking the time to stop in and offer their thoughts.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 92BroncoXLT View Post
I went through the same thing after I bought 3 other Bronco's and a BMW. I dont have time or money to fix it all so I have to pick and choose things one at a time.

What i've always found helps is looking through picture threads and seeing different mods and trucks in action. Gives me new ideas and motivation to go and out work on something
Holy Cow 3 Bronocs! I don't think I could handle that many projects, good for you! I do enjoy seeing other peoples builds. Some really great work on this site.

Quote:
Originally Posted by itwasFREE!!!! View Post
Pull out the Bronco Driver Magazine!!!! I think the front cover shows how cool your Bronco is!!!!
Txs itwasFREE, you have always been a big supporter and your build is inspiring to me. I appreciate it!

Quote:
Originally Posted by elpancho View Post
Go out and break it, that should peek your insterest. Good Luck Bro.
LOL, breaking stuff just pisses me off, usually means I didn't do something right the first time.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigBlue 94 View Post
Find a different project, and when the urge to wrench on her come back, get on it.

The top does need to come off, the drip rail has a crack in it that I need to fix.. sigh...

Quote:
Originally Posted by SRWillis View Post
Doesn't look like it needs wrenching! As others have said, take it out and enjoy the fruits of your labor!
TY Sir, we have put a lot of time, energy and $ into it. Nice that others appreciate it!

Quote:
Originally Posted by ANGELO View Post
Did you plan on working on it one day and take a couple bolts out before staring at it for a hour thinking about how you dont feel like working on it?
I was actually able to wrap up a few details on some unfinished projects-namely the center console. After that I was thinking, well next I have a rear main seal leak, shackle flip, etc and instead of digging into any of those I just put away my tools and shut the garage...

Quote:
Originally Posted by PJCHANNING View Post
.....The French have a word for what you're experiencing "en nui" - a feeling of listlessness and restlessness with a lack of desire to motivate. So, toke one, grab a BLM map of your favorite spot and start charting a course you've not yet taken. The mystery of what lies ahead will spur your desire to get into the driver's seat and enjoy your truck. You don't have to go wheeling, just take a drive. I'd recommend the Grand Valley OHV area in Grand Junction/Clifton. When I was there, it was amazing just how much terrain there is to cover. I took the attached pictures when I drove out there for a week back when the little man was still very little. I stayed with my brother in G.J. and we had a blast. I drove all over that area. I love the riverfront park there. It's a great place to bring the poles in the Bronco and toss a line.
Great shots I particularly like the one with your son. That might be part of it for me, my son is 18 now, getting ready to move off to college in the fall. He has all these plans for the summer. It hit me that our weekend father son work on the Bronco is coming to and end... :(

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bronco Fan78 View Post
I feel like the same way some times.
Maybe you've just gone as far as you can with that thing. Here is what I'm willing to do for you. I have a 78 that needs a ton of work. I'll just trade you and you'll be force motivated to fix this one if you want to go anywhere. I'm only offering because I'm concerned for you! lol
LOL, thanks for the "concern" I do LOVE the 78/79s, but I'm not ready to trade mine for one....

Quote:
Originally Posted by joshbronco View Post
I know the feeling, having the exact same issue with my Bronco right now as well. Best thing to do is to get there with it and have some fun, hit the trails etc. Unfortunately, my issue stems from dumping a huge sum of cash on it with zero return and a lack of faith that if I do take it out, she will get me home under her own power.

But hey sure does look pretty sitting in the driveway.
That really sucks on your build. I hope you get it figured out. I at least, feel the rewards for the $ I have spent on mine. Mine is in the garage, so I don't even get to see it looking pretty in the driveway..

Again, thanks fellow Bronco owners, I bet I just need to load her up for a camping\wheeling trip and not worry too much about it. The upgrade list can wait, the Bronco is reliable and ready to go "as is", no need to concern myself with endless upgrades..

July 2016 F.S.O.T.M

Last edited by 96bronco; 04-19-2017 at 11:09 AM. Reason: spelling and content
post #18 of 24 (permalink) Old 04-19-2017, 01:19 PM

I know how your feelin'. I have been working on mine for about 3 years now. I always feel like once I get the next project done it will be ready for some fun but half way thru I find 2 more things that need fixed or upgraded.
96bronco likes this.

Vochy: '06 F-150, Black Supercab Short box, 5.4L 4x4 XLT, 1" Daystar Leveling Kit, 275 70 R17 BFG A/T KO's
88' F-150 Black Short Box, 302 4x4, true dual flowmater 2in exaust, Mustang equal length headers, 31X10.50 R15 BFG A/T KO's, New Doors and Fenders installed, MAF conversion, Six Liter Tune up, Saginaw Power Steering Pump upgrade, P&P GT40 Heads, 3G Alt Upgrade, D44 SAS and 9" rear in-process.
post #19 of 24 (permalink) Old 04-19-2017, 02:43 PM

Bronco Info: 1990 Eddie bauer 302. Bought dead. Runs better n better.
Garage
Food for thought from one Dad to another

[quote\]Great shots I particularly like the one with your son. That might be part of it for me, my son is 18 now, getting ready to move off to college in the fall. He has all these plans for the summer. It hit me that our weekend father son work on the Bronco is coming to and end... :(

Again, thanks fellow Bronco owners, I bet I just need to load her up for a camping\wheeling trip and not worry too much about it. The upgrade list can wait, the Bronco is reliable and ready to go "as is", no need to concern myself with endless upgrades..[/quote]

My son is now mostly 12. We've just started our father/son repair time. Maybe you should give him the truck, that way it becomes his project and bonds you together that much more. That's what I plan to do when my boy reaches a certain age. The scenario is like this... ..Me - Dewey, c'mere. Dewey - Yeah, Dad. Me - Grab the repair book and history for "Serenity". Dewey - Here it is, Dad. Me - (tosses keys) Here, she's yours. It still needs x, y, and z. But you know that. The (insert part name) is due here next week. You may never sell this truck without my consent. Dewey - Wow, can I take it for a drive right now? Me - Drive 'er every day, son.

But I digress. Those shots at Grand Valley OHV area are from when I had just gotten it running again. The wipers didn't work right. The stereo had no reception. The rear window motor had just died. I hadn't yet smogged it (we're in Northern California) and it had a red temporary window tag. I drove for 28 hours straight from Rohnert Park, ca to Grand Junction, Co via the lonliest road/pony express route. It was early spring and I didn't know if 4 wheel drive worked. I got to just about Ely and encountered a stretch of Hwy 50 (The lonliest road) with semi's and other vehicles pulled off and waiting for the snow to stop falling and the plow (not in that order). I slowed as I approached the Nevada State trooper doing a chain check. I held up my box 'o chains. He looked at me, my truck, my chain box, smiled, and waved me on. So, I drove for about a mile on this snowed over road until I reached a point where I could pull off and put it in 4H as I'd already slid twice while snail crawling along the road. Put it in four wheel drive and spun cookies! Woo hoo, it works! The rest of the trip out was pretty uneventful except for when I stopped at a Conoco Philips station just inside the Utah line. They took $40 cash and I said which pump. I started pumping... ..it stopped at $10-. I went inside and politely stated that something must have stopped working. They look and say, "no, you gave us $10.00". So, I calmly and reasonably state that I am certain I handed them two $20- bills and can do math well enough to know that I am that much lighter in my wallet. They disagree. So, I put the nozzle back. Closed up my fuel door. Got in the truck and did a small burn out at the pump (they have a gravel lot) and threw stones at everything. There was a moment about an hour later when a bunch of Utah State Police came flying up behind me and I thought "oh poop, that was a bad idea." They all flew past me (apparently 80MPH isn't fast enough) and I didn't see them again. It was shortly after this that I did over 100MPH as I drove over the Tundra out there.
That said... ..bone stock, barely running right, not fully registered, I went there and came back. We don't need a lift, winch, lights, and custom rock sliders to enjoy our vehicles. We just need to go for a drive. One of my favorite things to do is drive my wife to dinner in our nice clothes, pull up right in front, and step out in style.

So, do go out and camp/drive trails. Go fishing with four buddies. Do not despair. Talk to your son about it. He'll be responsive, hell, take him on a week or more excursion with other rigs and friends before he ships out.

96bronco likes this.

'90 Eddie Bauer 302 5.0 >250k, class E, Stock wheels (if it ain't broke...) rebuilt under hood (oem). HD rotors. R-134A conversion. Flowmaster and 3" single chamber. Custom fishing pole rack. 145k '96 e4oD upgrade. 33" BFG A/T. Modern Am/FM/Bt/CD/USB. 1500w amp/ sub combo. Custom Roof rack. Check out my build thread...http://www.fullsizebronco.com/forum/...d.php?t=281530
post #20 of 24 (permalink) Old 04-19-2017, 08:10 PM
FSM Lifetime

Bronco Info: 1996 5.0L Automatic Bronco XLT
Quote:
Originally Posted by 96bronco
That might be part of it for me, my son is 18 now, getting ready to move off to college in the fall. He has all these plans for the summer. It hit me that our weekend father son work on the Bronco is coming to and end... :(

I just went through the same thing last year from the flip side of things. Your son going to college may limit the amount of weekends you guys spend together wrenching, but it will drastically increase the value you place on them and will surely get you out of the rut. I know last summer I had a lot on my plate. I was working 65 hour weeks on average to pay for school, and the time I wasn't working I had little things to do on the Bronco to get it all squared away for the voyage to school. The longest trip before last summer I had taken in the Bronco was an hour ride each way to see an Army football game with a few of my buddies. Then, last Summer I went with my family down to the East Coast Bronco Round Up which was 2.5 hours each way. To school for me, it's 3.5 hours each way, which I've probably now gone there and back 15 times by now, so my dad and I really wanted the Bronco in good shape. If your sons taking the Bronco, that alone should get you going soon making sure everything's perfect. However, the best part of last summer by far was the outings we had in the trucks. Like I stated, we went to the Bronco Round up for a weekend of wheeling and, well, Broncos; and went to a mud bog. Both were a blast and are back on the calendar for this summer. Now, every time I come home, even it's just for a day and a half, my dad and I hit the garage hard getting the trucks ready for this summer and have a blast doing so. Whether it's stripping a parts truck for an engine, building rock sliders for his Bronco for the off-road park, or rebuilding the 7.3 for the mud bog, we have something to do and the drive to get after it. Plus, colleges give a bit of time off so I'm home every few weeks, plus about a week at Thanksgiving and a month for Christmas. Also you've got to remember that if he's taking the Bronco, it's going to need some work from being rode around. I know mine needs ball joints this summer and I just replaced a radius arm and front drive shaft after they broke as I was going through a snow bank. But it's well worth it, college really shows the versatility of a Bronco. The ability to fit a dorms worth of junk in the bed, but also being able to fit 5 with rear seat down is great. Plus whats better than exploring a new environment in style, especially with the sound system you guys just added. If he can't bring the truck, you know he'll be itching to get out and enjoy it every chance he has when he comes home.

I doubt this rut will last long but until it's over, just enjoy it. Enjoy the truck, along with the time with your son, and you guys will be out tackling another project in no time.
96bronco and PJCHANNING like this.

Built not Bought

Ford Bronco Forum > Other Forums > Anything Else

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Bronco Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself. DO NOT USE Gmail.com accounts. If you only have a Gmail.com email please contact the administrator here

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode