This PSA brought to you by gravel eatin' BikerPepe` - Ford Bronco Forum
 80Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 47 (permalink) Old 05-11-2017, 01:13 AM Thread Starter
Harley's & Bronco's FTW!

Bronco Info: '95 XLT, 5.8/E4OD/MassAir/6" lift/4.56's/35x12.5 BFG AT-KO2
Garage
This PSA brought to you by gravel eatin' BikerPepe`

I live in an area with a fairly decent motorcycle population. we've got all kinds and Spokane has been host to a NOMAD Chapter of the HA and a few other big clubs for many years now. generally speaking... if you don't ride, you likely know someone who does.

So this is my plea... for the love of god, allah, buddah and the flyin' spaghetti monster, please... if you don't ride, take this to heart. if you do, remind your friends, family and loved ones.

When you see a motorcycle come flying up behind you... PLEASE, DO NOT MOVE ONTO THE SHOULDER TO "MAKE ROOM" for us.
I/we appreciate the thought but TRUST ME, we see you. We expect you to stick to your line and don't get stupid because we're behind you.
Unless you're in Cali... there will be no "lane splitting" on an old highway. I don't need you to "make room" and when I pass you, I won't need anything from you other than to stay your course and don't speed up while I'm beside you.

When you move over to the left and your tires hit the rocks, dirt, dust and gravel laying all over the side of the road, you're not helping us. In point of fact, you are most likely hurting us! 3 times today alone... I had very "nice" people slide over to the side in an apparent effort to "help me" and instead, the blast me with gravel and FORCE me to back way off or pass immediately, regardless of the oncoming traffic or other conditions.

People that don't ride, generally have no idea what they are doing and likely are just trying to be as helpful as possible... but please, DON'T DO IT!

Thank you all and have a nice day.

"The more you know!"
miesk5, Weber, BigBlue 94 and 9 others like this.

"When life throws you a curve... LEAN INTO IT!"

SuperMotors - Since 2002
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 47 (permalink) Old 05-11-2017, 05:57 AM
They call me "MR FLAT TIRE"

Bronco Info: 90 7.3IDI/ZF5/tons. 66 5.0/AOD. 90beater SAS/5.8/e4od
even small rocks at road speed will leave one hell of a welt to the chest. Ask me how I know this.

Thanks for the PSA Pepe`.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 90Beater View Post
2 spares?? Are you sure thats gonna be enough????
Proud to be politically incorrect.
66 EB 5.0-AOD; 90 Locopny 7.3IDI-ZF 5-D60-10.25; 90Beater(2.0)5.8L-E4OD-SAS-14B; 95 Happy2 F150-4.9L-M5OD; F250SD 7.3-Auto CCLB
post #3 of 47 (permalink) Old 05-11-2017, 07:22 AM

Bronco Info: 1981 Bronco, 4.9L, T18, NP208
Interesting. I rode for 40 years and never had anyone pull over to get out of my way. They usually acted like I wasn't there!
post #4 of 47 (permalink) Old 05-11-2017, 08:33 AM

Bronco Info: 1996 EB, 351w, basically stock. 1981 custom 351m, long gone.
Garage
around here, the bikers will regularly ride on the shoulder to get around cars. and driving down the stripes is also standard.
BikerPepe` and 445 FE Bronco like this.

it's fun to do bad things

my "build" thread
post #5 of 47 (permalink) Old 05-11-2017, 09:36 AM

Bronco Info: 1996 Eddie Bauer 5.8L, 4" BDS radius arm lift, 35x12.5's, Bassani headers, K&N CAI, Warn manual hubs
AGREED!!! Oh, and don't text & drive!!!
post #6 of 47 (permalink) Old 05-11-2017, 09:39 AM
Fullsize Member

Bronco Info: 96' XL 347ci E4od 4:10's 35x12.50x15 M/T MTZ's and some other stuff
Welcome back into the Wind Pepe`,
Even with all the "Nice People" it hadta' felt Great to be back Up.

BTW Everyone,

Stay Alert,
We need More Lerts....

Oh Crap, Another Sunday Driver.
post #7 of 47 (permalink) Old 05-11-2017, 10:22 AM

Bronco Info: 85 Bronco, 306ci I6 w/4bbl, np435, 4" lift, 37" Irok NDs, 4.56 w/ Detroit Locker and tru trac
Garage
Never rode, and never will, but even having a junebug hit my hand out the window or a cicada flyig in the window hurts.

94 Bronco XLT. Beefy 351, 6" , 37's, 4.88: burnt
85 Bronco custom, 4" 37's, locked 4.56, 300 i6 4 bbl, np435/208
96 f350 XL, rclb, 351, c6, BW4407 xfer
78 f150 Ranger, 351m, t18, np205, rusty
90 f150, 95 f250, 96 f350 psd: stolen, sold, and burnt, respectively.
post #8 of 47 (permalink) Old 05-11-2017, 10:27 AM
Bronco Snob

Bronco Info: 1992 XLT 351W E4OD 4" lift TRE flip 130 amp 3G Alt Saginaw P.S. BFG MT KM2 315 75 16
Garage
Good Idea.

Is there going to be a PSA issued to Motorcycle Riders informing them that they do not have to hang 5' off my rear bumper waiting to sling-shot past me?

A society that puts equality before freedom will get neither. A society that puts freedom before equality will get a higher degree of both. - Milton Friedman -
post #9 of 47 (permalink) Old 05-11-2017, 10:59 AM
Foolsize Member

Bronco Info: They multiply when I'm not looking.
Same thing happens when your walking towards someone else thats coming from the other direction. Human nature tells you to move and not get in the other persons way, but they do the same thing. Then your awkwardly trying to sidestep each other at the same time because your both trying to be polite. Not a big deal when your walking down a hallway, but when your going 60-70 MPH down the highway the stakes go up.

Im not a motorcyclist, but I have alot of respect for the boys out there on 2 wheels. Thanks for the heads up Pepe'

1992 XLT 300/M5OD
1978 Custom 351M/C6
1991 XLT 351W/Blown Up E4OD
1988 Custom 302/AOD
post #10 of 47 (permalink) Old 05-11-2017, 01:57 PM Thread Starter
Harley's & Bronco's FTW!

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by SRWillis View Post
Interesting. I rode for 40 years and never had anyone pull over to get out of my way. They usually acted like I wasn't there!
It's usually one extreme or the other when you're out there on the road.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dash_cam View Post
around here, the bikers will regularly ride on the shoulder to get around cars. and driving down the stripes is also standard.
yea... you guys don't have trucks spreading gravel all over the roads during winter. This time of year, in the north... this shit can get downright scary at times before all the crap ends up naturally washing off the roads. It's been so wet this year, I was a little surprised to see we still have so much out there. Lane splitting isn't really a thing up here. Hell... a bro and I were puled over for riding side by side in the same lane. We had to explain to the cop that we'd been riding together longer than they'd been on the force and see them do it all the time. Left with a warning.

Quote:
Originally Posted by White Dragon View Post
Welcome back into the Wind Pepe`,
Even with all the "Nice People" it hadta' felt Great to be back Up.

BTW Everyone,

Stay Alert,
We need More Lerts....
Appreciate that bud. I've already been out more this year than last and yea... it feels great to be back in the wind. Yesterday, I got laid and then got out to ride. Best day I've had in awhile.

Quote:
Originally Posted by RicoBronco View Post
Good Idea.

Is there going to be a PSA issued to Motorcycle Riders informing them that they do not have to hang 5' off my rear bumper waiting to sling-shot past me?
Do you feel that your life is in danger when there's a motorcycle right behind you? I often do the same... note the oncoming traffic, see the opening, speed up to match passing the vehicle in front of me with swinging out into the opposing lane as the oncoming vehicle passes. The faster I can get around "you" and back in my proper lane, the better for everyone.
That said... I rear ended someone when I lost my foot, so I'm pretty particular when and where I choose to employ that type of passing maneuver.

SuperMotors - Since 2002
post #11 of 47 (permalink) Old 05-11-2017, 03:42 PM

Bronco Info: 85 Bronco, 306ci I6 w/4bbl, np435, 4" lift, 37" Irok NDs, 4.56 w/ Detroit Locker and tru trac
Garage
Dang, that was a good day Pepe!

I dont mind a motorcycle riding my bumper, because unlike a car, they cant really do much damage to me. To me, bikers know the risks associated with their activity, and as long as i drive properly, its their fault if they mash into the back of me.

Ive never seen someone move over for a motorcycle... thats just stupid. Kind of like people that put their brakes on when a car with a yield sign is trying to merge onto the highway.

94 Bronco XLT. Beefy 351, 6" , 37's, 4.88: burnt
85 Bronco custom, 4" 37's, locked 4.56, 300 i6 4 bbl, np435/208
96 f350 XL, rclb, 351, c6, BW4407 xfer
78 f150 Ranger, 351m, t18, np205, rusty
90 f150, 95 f250, 96 f350 psd: stolen, sold, and burnt, respectively.
post #12 of 47 (permalink) Old 05-11-2017, 03:58 PM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by BikerPepe` View Post
Do you feel that your life is in danger when there's a motorcycle right behind you?
i don't think i'm in as much danger as if it was a car that close. at the same time, i don't care to have some idiot biker die crashing into my car, either.

outside of the damage to the car, i don't want to see someone's head spattered on my car because i had to hit the brakes.
BigBlue 94 and 445 FE Bronco like this.

my "build" thread
post #13 of 47 (permalink) Old 05-11-2017, 05:14 PM Thread Starter
Harley's & Bronco's FTW!

Garage
well I can't answer for the hundreds of thousands of inexperienced, untrained or just plain stupid wanna-be's, rubs, squids and other assembled idiots riding bikes out there and I'm most certainly not going to try. I just wanted to get a note out there for those of you that don't know and for those that do, a friendly reminder to pass on to the "cagers" you all know.

If I wanted to start a debate, I'd have started this in the political section.

It's generally pretty obvious and I believe it's a point of law... if you rear end someone, it's on you. When I rear ended the lost Canadians that slammed on the brakes, 2 cars ahead of me while I quickly looked to the road side, causing the Sears Van in-front of me to slam his brakes unexpectedly, causing the accident that resulted in my bike catching on fire and my left foot being smashed and lit on fire... that was all on me. No other liability and infact, the officer at the scene told me he could write me a ticket, while I was laying in the emergency room in excruciating pain.... well, never mind.

SuperMotors - Since 2002
post #14 of 47 (permalink) Old 05-11-2017, 05:19 PM

Garage
I'm not trying to argue, pepe. Just answering a question you posed.

my "build" thread
post #15 of 47 (permalink) Old 05-11-2017, 07:30 PM
Bronco Snob

Bronco Info: 1992 XLT 351W E4OD 4" lift TRE flip 130 amp 3G Alt Saginaw P.S. BFG MT KM2 315 75 16
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by BikerPepe` View Post
Do you feel that your life is in danger when there's a motorcycle right behind you? I often do the same... note the oncoming traffic, see the opening, speed up to match passing the vehicle in front of me with swinging out into the opposing lane as the oncoming vehicle passes. The faster I can get around "you" and back in my proper lane, the better for everyone.
That said... I rear ended someone when I lost my foot, so I'm pretty particular when and where I choose to employ that type of passing maneuver.
No, and it really doesn't bother me personally...but I understand the power, speed, and maneuverability of a motorcycle. Most people don't, and the same moron that thinks he's being nice by STOPPING... in the middle of traffic... during rush hour... to let someone pull out of Wal-Mart ...is the same jack-ass that pulls over to the side of the road to let a motorcycle pass. Good intended ( I guess) dolts who's actions cause accidents. So, in the spirit of pandering to the lowest common denominator of society, and knowing the speed and acceleration capabilities of a motorcycle... maybe it's a better idea just to hang back a lil .....is all ima sayin

A society that puts equality before freedom will get neither. A society that puts freedom before equality will get a higher degree of both. - Milton Friedman -
post #16 of 47 (permalink) Old 05-12-2017, 01:13 AM

When I ride on 2 wheels I keep an adequate following distance and have not experienced these issues. The 4 years of driving semi's commercially has taught me people behind the wheel are extremely unpredictable and I stay far away. Ride safe, slow down, and enjoy life.
445 FE Bronco likes this.

1989 Bronco
post #17 of 47 (permalink) Old 05-12-2017, 02:35 PM

Bronco Info: 1990 Eddie bauer 302. Bought dead. Runs better n better.
Garage
I have the pleasure of riding Northern California highways, backroads (sometimes gravel only) on my '99 GSX-R 600. Speed and power are definitely a factor. I've lost count of how many times I've "slingshotted" past a passenger vehicle. We don't have gravel on my stretch of 101 (except from unaware earth movers) but we do have bugs. I'm of two minds about people "moving over" to "make room". One side of me says, "gee, thanks." While the other half says, "if you lose control and flip your car/truck, I will be long gone while you're in mid-air." I would say I prefer that autos just stay in their lane, stay at a consistent rate of travel, and PAY ATTENTION. We have a PSA group here in Sonoma County, Ca called SEE US OR WE DIE. @Pepe I think there's a way to get your local radio station (and most other market stations) to actually make a PSA and broadcast it. I'd suggest looking into it. The Ca DMV handbook actually tells class C license holders what to do with this situation, but who reads anymore?
445 FE Bronco likes this.

'90 Eddie Bauer 302 5.0 >250k, class E, Stock wheels (if it ain't broke...) rebuilt under hood (oem). HD rotors. R-134A conversion. Flowmaster and 3" single chamber. Custom fishing pole rack. 145k '96 e4oD upgrade. 33" BFG A/T. Modern Am/FM/Bt/CD/USB. 1500w amp/ sub combo. Custom Roof rack. Check out my build thread...
post #18 of 47 (permalink) Old 05-12-2017, 03:25 PM Thread Starter
Harley's & Bronco's FTW!

Garage
all this pickin' but nobody noticed I messed up and typed "move to the left", when I should have typed "move to the right".
come on. if ya'll are going to pick apart my post... at least do it thoroughly.

SuperMotors - Since 2002
post #19 of 47 (permalink) Old 05-12-2017, 04:11 PM

Bronco Info: 1990 Eddie bauer 302. Bought dead. Runs better n better.
Garage
Hence my "who reads anymore".
BikerPepe` and locopny like this.

'90 Eddie Bauer 302 5.0 >250k, class E, Stock wheels (if it ain't broke...) rebuilt under hood (oem). HD rotors. R-134A conversion. Flowmaster and 3" single chamber. Custom fishing pole rack. 145k '96 e4oD upgrade. 33" BFG A/T. Modern Am/FM/Bt/CD/USB. 1500w amp/ sub combo. Custom Roof rack. Check out my build thread...
post #20 of 47 (permalink) Old 05-12-2017, 06:15 PM
They call me "MR FLAT TIRE"

Bronco Info: 90 7.3IDI/ZF5/tons. 66 5.0/AOD. 90beater SAS/5.8/e4od
figured you were just a backwards biker @BikerPepe`

@PJCHANNING While the handbook might say something about it, how many read it? And how many are ABLE to read it? Keep hearing about illegal/undocumented folks getting paperwork that makes it legal for them to drive....I'm sure they took the time to read that book. And lets not forget the elderly drivers that are doing their best to keep in control of their car that they over do it.
BikerPepe` likes this.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 90Beater View Post
2 spares?? Are you sure thats gonna be enough????
Proud to be politically incorrect.
66 EB 5.0-AOD; 90 Locopny 7.3IDI-ZF 5-D60-10.25; 90Beater(2.0)5.8L-E4OD-SAS-14B; 95 Happy2 F150-4.9L-M5OD; F250SD 7.3-Auto CCLB

Ford Bronco Forum > Other Forums > Anything Else

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Bronco Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself. DO NOT USE Gmail.com accounts. If you only have a Gmail.com email please contact the administrator here

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode