Hauling Your Dead Deer Down the Street - Ford Bronco Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 78 (permalink) Old 11-24-2006, 10:58 PM Thread Starter

Bronco Info: 92 Ford F150 Supercab XLT 4.9L Straight 6 5 Speed Man Trans
Hauling Your Dead Deer Down the Street

Now, dont get me wrong. I got nothing at all against hunting if you (or someone) eats what you kill. I hunted for years when I had the time. I dont really care for my kids to see a deer bleeding all over the tailgate with its tongue hanging out or gutted and skinned out in the front yard. It kind of upsets them and they are too young to understand. Flame if you must. Does anyone else agree?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 78 (permalink) Old 11-24-2006, 11:00 PM
Designated Tranny Killer

Bronco Info: Sold--'89 FSB, 2" lift, lots 'o' lights, custom bumpers, exhaust, intake, stereo, other stuff
yes, i hunt in all but you have to keep it somewhat sportsman like. just the little things like that piss people off the most

~Dave~
1998 Jeep Wrangler, 5.5" lift, wheels, tires and all the other cool stuff.
1997 Dodge Ram 5" lift, 35"s, 396 stroker, stereo, and some random things
post #3 of 78 (permalink) Old 11-24-2006, 11:03 PM

Bronco Info: 1990 XL 351
As a child who regularly woke up early in fall mornings to see gutted deer draining outside the kitchen window, i have no problem with it. Have you told your kids where their chicken mcnuggets and cheeseburgers come from? Might be time to have a little "Meet your meat" conversation with them.
post #4 of 78 (permalink) Old 11-24-2006, 11:11 PM
Geaux Tigers!!

Bronco Info: Used to have a '96 FSB. Now have an '01 Jeep.
I'm with you, Will. There's a time and place for everything. Not every kid can (nor should) stand to see an animal in that condition without the parent being in charge of that kind of potentially traumatic situation. FWIW, I have no issue with hunting, either, but I could do without my kid (if I had one) seeing a dead Bambi starring back at him out of the back of a truck.

Tommy

Bigger is not necessarily better.
post #5 of 78 (permalink) Old 11-24-2006, 11:16 PM

Bronco Info: 1989 XLT, 302,
I have no problem with it, grew up hunting and we always harvest what we kill so to speak. I don't force my kids or relatives to hunt. If they have the desire then I will gladly take them with. My nephew for example, I posted tonight in the general area, his dad has not seen or called or sent a card even for his birthday. He has no male figure except for my dad, however, my dad is laid up in the house and can't walk. I have a passion for hunting, not for the trophy but for the meat, love it, Casey my nephew, has a passion for hunting also, I will take him wherever, whenever, he wants, screw his deadbeat dad. I did the gutting out and such for him, but he was proud as could be he got that one. I'd rather eat something I kill and dress out myself than that crap stuff they call fast food.

-------------------------------------------------------------------

"Any fool can criticize, condemn, and complain - but it takes character and self-control to be understanding and forgiving." - Dale Carnegie
post #6 of 78 (permalink) Old 11-24-2006, 11:25 PM

Bronco Info: 1989 XLT, 302,
Oh sorry, but I must say I wouldn't care for my kids to see something hanging or whatever in front of them if they are too young to understand. I agree totally with that. And I understand that it is not for everyone, and I would do my best to respect your outlook on that if you were my neighbor.

-------------------------------------------------------------------

"Any fool can criticize, condemn, and complain - but it takes character and self-control to be understanding and forgiving." - Dale Carnegie
post #7 of 78 (permalink) Old 11-25-2006, 12:10 AM

I agree with you. I have no problem looking at anything dead, cut up, blown up, or whatever. In fact most of the time I enjoy it. But I know not everyone wants to look at that, so I have the decency to keep that stuff out of sight from anyone else.
When people do that I think all they want to do is show off their kill. I remember one time I saw a guy with an ElCamino and a deer was straped on to the hood. If that ain't trying to brag about your kill and show it off while you take the long way hoime I don't know what is.
post #8 of 78 (permalink) Old 11-25-2006, 12:17 AM
Sneaky Ba$tard

Bronco Info: 79 351Cleveland, C6, NP205
So I guess driving home last week with the head hanging over the tailgate of the Bronco and it's nose painted red was way outta line huh???

Mine are usually packed in ice by the time I leave camp... All you can see is the coleman coolers stacked in the back-----Fog

Foghorn

6in BDS Lift / 35 MT/R's

When seconds count, the cops are just minutes away.
Support the 2nd Amendment
post #9 of 78 (permalink) Old 11-25-2006, 03:41 AM Thread Starter

Bronco Info: 92 Ford F150 Supercab XLT 4.9L Straight 6 5 Speed Man Trans
its one thing to be legitimately transporting it home. Im talking about parading it all over the place. To Wal-Mart, around the neighborhood. Hang it on a stand in the fromt yard and skin it out. Then leave the head up there for a couple days-stuff like that. Hell, I love gore and hardly anything grosses me out but that's just immature and inconsiderate...
post #10 of 78 (permalink) Old 11-25-2006, 06:22 AM

Bronco Info: 92, 96. 351, 302. E/B, XLT
[QUOTE=Foghorn;1075310]So I guess driving home last week with the head hanging over the tailgate of the Bronco and it's nose painted red was way outta line huh???

post #11 of 78 (permalink) Old 11-25-2006, 07:27 AM

Bronco Info: '91 Ext. cab p/u, no bed, D60s, 37s, lots of sheetmetal damage
I grew up watching my dad come home with 2 or 3 field dressed deer, with their tounges hanging out, strapped on the back of the 4wheeler(atv). I don't think it scarred me.. He never gave me any kind of lecture what it was about I don't think, I think he just let me figure it out when I started hunting with him when I was about 9.

But I do agree that the parading a dead deer strapped on the hood is a bad idea. I've "paraded" a deer around before, but it was in the truck bed, tailgate up, and I paraded to the people I knew WANTED to see if I had killed anything.

When you have time, you have no money - When you have money, you have no time
post #12 of 78 (permalink) Old 11-25-2006, 10:52 AM

Bronco Info: 95 Bronco, 85 Bronco II
I've never really thought about that before considering I live in a really rural area and I rarely go through a weekend in hunting season without seeing a dead something or other lying somewhere but I do believe people should consider others when they "parade" their kill. There is a guy who lives next door to the high school who has had a deer hanging from a tree for days. I dont know what the heck he was planning on doing with thta thing but I wouldnt eat it for a million dollars. Maybe he's lazy, but I know all the parents have to be mad with a gutted deer hangin there pratically in the schools front yard.

post #13 of 78 (permalink) Old 11-25-2006, 12:13 PM
I killed Kenny...again

Bronco Info: '92 bronco 351W E4OD BW1356, D44 SAS, 4.56 r/p f&r, spooled D60, 9" of lift, cutout flares
it probably wasnt the best thing for him to do, parading it around and such. but if thats what gets his rocks off, theres not a whole you can do. personally i would have either dressed it out at camp or just closed the gate and strung it up in the back yard

92 bronco with lots o' goodies
Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnski at RITS
I ABSTAIN FROM ABSTAINANCE
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ogeechee4x4 at RITS
Hey come here, I've got wood
my superford page
HIT IT ~N~ GIT IT OFFROAD!!!
post #14 of 78 (permalink) Old 11-25-2006, 12:25 PM

Bronco Info: 90' Bronco 6" lift and 35's, also an 02' Dodge 2500 Ram Cummins deisel pickup
I think if you grow up with seeing it all the time and getting involved in helping with the deer then it's not that big a deal, cause your used to it. But seeing Bambie dead and bleeding like that will definatly scare a kid if he's not used it, or doesn't understand. I guess people just don't stop to think of the kids and what it might do to them.
post #15 of 78 (permalink) Old 11-25-2006, 12:25 PM

Bronco Info: Sold Bronco, but still live in the off topic threads
I am on the fence about hunting, and I know a few of you will hate me for saying this, but its just my opinion.

I used to hunt when I was a kid, I have bagged two deer myself. It did teach me to respect the nature, the animal, and of course rifle safety, etc.
However, now I havent hunted since I was a teenager, and I couldnt see myself ever going now.
First off I think that a hunting tag should be bumped up in price just to try and keep the white trash from buying them. I seen this too much, bunch of red neck sh!t kickers going out and shooting whatever moves. Its BS, and not only does it give true hunters a bad name, it is just plain assnine.

Second I think that hunting should be a lot more regulated, and patrolled.
I really hate poachers, or trophy hunters. There were times when my family and i would be out hiking and would come across a gut shot deer, or a dear that was left there because the antlers werent big enough. You could see boot steps all around it so you know it wasnt one of those "We couldnt find the deer after it was shot" stories.

Third. For the most part it is complete savage, and just proves how slow mankind really is. We are one of the only countries that hunts on a full stomach. Or hunts just for the sake of killing.
I am happy that we live in a day and age where I can go to my butchers and buy a piece of meat. There are plenty of options at the home front, and we are not at a point in society where stores are running out of meat, so we hve to go out and kill for it. This isnt exactly 1852.
I guess I am just a bit more civilized. Oh and I am sure I will hear the BS actics about "Well you never know what kind of disease you will get from buying meat at the store these days". Well, myself, my family, etc. have been buying from stores for many years, and to this day I havent got any funky disease from eating local meat. Plus, if you think about it, killing, and cutting your own meat isnt always the most sanitary thing in the world either. Most of us dont have a full butcher block in our kitchen, so I know a lot of people are just piling the cuts in the sink, on the kitchen table, in the bathtub, etc. before its packaged, now that my friends is the shear cornerstone of sanitary, and class.

Now to be the devils advocate, I also know that without a certain amount of population control on deer, that it would actually be worse. Deer would come into cities looking for food, and/or have a lot more cars hitting deer on the roads. So yes, I do agree to some form of hunting for population control, but like I said imho it should be a lot more regulated.

Oh and if you do bag anything, I would think its best to keep it out of sight from anyone, especially children.

"For me, it is far better to grasp the Universe as it really is than to persist in delusion, however satisfying and reassuring."
Carl Sagan PH.D.
post #16 of 78 (permalink) Old 11-25-2006, 01:19 PM
Banned

Bronco Info: '83 VIN & title on '93 frame/body w/'95 4.9L & EB paint
I don't have a problem with anyone killing animals for food, and I don't see any reason to "hide" your kill. Likewise, it's pretty childish to "parade" it. But I gotta say that it's up to PARENTS (not hunters) to explain not only hunting & the sight of dead animals to children, but also any OTHER sight that might not be pleasant or easy for kids to understand. Like TV advertising, video games, politcal campaigns, anything on the internet, & the evening 'news'. Don't lay it off on the neighbor because you're uncomfortable bursting your kid's bubble (literally) about Bambi & dinner. Do you shield your kids' eyes when they see people shopping for Christmas gifts, too?

Making hunting more expensive would only make it MORE a sport for the rich instead of an affordable alternative for those who may not want to spend money on something they can do for themselves. You might as well make Craftsman tools more expensive so people don't mess up their neighborhoods with half-repaired vehicles & oil dumped in the gutters. How bad is THAT for kids to be around?

Hunting is FAR from 'savage', and why would you blame the people who actually want to consume the meat for being the ones to kill it? Why not slow down production of commercially-slaughtered meat? Those people aren't THAT hungry, so they don't need to kill 5000 animals a day. Hunters (generally) only kill what they need themselves for their personal consumption. What could be more noble & ecological than that? You only favor the slaughterhouses because they do it indoors. "See no evil..." right? Kinda hypocritical when you think about it, isn't it?

Remember that shielding kids from reality only makes it that much more shocking for them when they get older. Kids learn fastest when they're young, so tell them the truth from the beginning, and they'll have a lot less trouble growing up. There's absolutely nothing wrong with hunting for food, but I agree that it doesn't need to be put on public display around those who aren't interested.
post #17 of 78 (permalink) Old 11-25-2006, 01:32 PM

Bronco Info: 1994 XLT 5.0, MSD coil/cap/rotor, SpiroPro wires, Ford Racing tranny cooler, PermaCool filter, 3G
Quote:
Originally Posted by godless View Post
Plus, if you think about it, killing, and cutting your own meat isnt always the most sanitary thing in the world either. Most of us dont have a full butcher block in our kitchen, so I know a lot of people are just piling the cuts in the sink, on the kitchen table, in the bathtub, etc. before its packaged, now that my friends is the shear cornerstone of sanitary, and class.
Ummm, no, you throw it in the cooler. An entire deer fits in a 50 quart cooler, no problem. If you bother to cut it yourself at all. It's all of $50 to have it done for you, if that.

Quote:
Now to be the devils advocate, I also know that without a certain amount of population control on deer, that it would actually be worse. Deer would come into cities looking for food, and/or have a lot more cars hitting deer on the roads.
Errr, I guess Utah is very different from Michigan. We have 65,000+ car-deer accidents a year, with some 1500+ injuries and 10+ deaths resulting. We have nearly 2 million deer in the state, we kill almost 500,000 a year, and really we need to do better than that. There are parks in some of the suburbs of Detroit where the estimated deer density is over 100/square mile, which is ridiculously overcrowded. Yards and parks are systematically stripped bare.

Quote:
So yes, I do agree to some form of hunting for population control, but like I said imho it should be a lot more regulated.

Oh and if you do bag anything, I would think its best to keep it out of sight from anyone, especially children.
Yes, because we sure do want a lot more government interference in our lives, don't we? And we have to protect the poor innocent children that of course are vegetarian and don't ever do anything that causes the death of another living thing. You know, like eating meat. Or wearing leather. We have to be sure to shield them from the nastiness of that mean old reality, so they can live in their safe sugar-plum fantasies for their entire life, with daddy and mommy keeping away all the badness.

Back to the original subject:

Around here, the local sporting goods stores, including Cabela's, all have kill trees, and competitions for the biggest buck on the tree. You can drive by and see dozens of dead deer hanging, if you feel like it.

I've never really been one for shielding children (or anyone, really) from reality, though.
post #18 of 78 (permalink) Old 11-25-2006, 01:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sewiv View Post

Yes, because we sure do want a lot more government interference in our lives, don't we? And we have to protect the poor innocent children that of course are vegetarian and don't ever do anything that causes the death of another living thing. You know, like eating meat. Or wearing leather. We have to be sure to shield them from the nastiness of that mean old reality, so they can live in their safe sugar-plum fantasies for their entire life, with daddy and mommy keeping away all the badness.
I agree with you, but theres no reason to be showing it off to anyone that doesn't care to see it. Have the decency to respect other people and not rub things like that all in their face.
post #19 of 78 (permalink) Old 11-25-2006, 02:10 PM

Bronco Info: 1994 XLT 5.0, MSD coil/cap/rotor, SpiroPro wires, Ford Racing tranny cooler, PermaCool filter, 3G
Parading it around is stupid, but hauling it home and dealing with it shouldn't matter as much as it seems to. It's just another dead animal.
post #20 of 78 (permalink) Old 11-25-2006, 02:23 PM
Talks to Skwerls

Bronco Info: '78 Ranger XLT with rare "sansengine" mod.
Jeremie, I know that a lot of states don't have it as bad as we do here in the fertile valleys, but our deer population is actually higher than when the Indians inhabited the region. Sure, we don't need the meat (we have some of the best dang hog you will find anywhere), but we do need folks to help control the population. I, for one, wish they would lift some of the limits for deer hunting at least long enough to get the deer out of city limits. Besides, just because you can get grapes at the grocery store doesn't mean it's not nice to occasionally go pick some wild blackberries. My brother and I both love deer meat, but we have neither the time nor equipment (or really the care) to hunt it ourselves. We do, however gratefully accept when one of our friends offer us some.

[rant] I do however think that it is pretty messed up to go parading a kill around like everyone wants to see it. I have no problem with seeing dead things, people included. But I know that not everyone is okay with it and part of making a hobby part of a functioning society is to make it fit without too much disturbance: don't race on public streets; don't show off your dead critters except to you buddies who want to see 'em; and don't drink and drive. I know that a lot of people feel that because they saw it a lot growing up and are okay, that it makes it alright to show around like a new fiancée, but I've seen a whole mess of things growing up that don't phase me anymore, but I wouldn't wish them upon my worst enemies.

The internet amazes me. Some people still manage to be illegible when handwriting is not a factor.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bronco Rob
Potamus is my personal hero.......him and his legion of squirrels and 12-sided dice.

Ford Bronco Forum > Other Forums > Anything Else

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Bronco Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself. DO NOT USE Gmail.com accounts. If you only have a Gmail.com email please contact the administrator here

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode