Newbie with a 1985 - Ford Bronco Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 23 (permalink) Old 01-01-2017, 03:50 PM Thread Starter

Bronco Info: 1985 Ford Bronco 4x4 EFI 302 XLT
Newbie with a 1985

Hey, just wanted to introduce myself and get the party started. So I ran upon a 1985 Fullsize Bronco has a 302 with EFI XLT with cruise control. I talked to the old man that had it and he said the gas tank had a hole in it so he took it off and had it patched, lined, and under coated. During the process he lost the filler neck. It has 97000 original miles and some rust. Also the passenger side door panel is off because the PO replaced the window motor. But he said it ran like a champion thoroughbred before he parked it. I got it for $500 and pulled it home yesterday. I got the newly repaired tank, sending unit, and skid plate but that was it. No bolts or straps. So, I may need some help there getting together everything I need to put it back on and see get it running. I am not going to fix the body, Im just gonna use it for a hunting ride for now. Maybe in a few years I will restore the body and stuff. Plans are for now get the gas tank on, through a battery on it and get it running. Then I am going to take it to my cousins garage and do a full tune up on her, new plugs, wires, coolant system run down, and brake run down. I also am going to replace the window weather striping on the door windows and rear gate window. As for now this is how it sits. Meet "Trigger" the meat mule!!!!!

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 23 (permalink) Old 01-01-2017, 03:51 PM

Bronco Info: 1978 Bronco, FE 390, C6, NP203 --> 460, AOD, NP205, Restomod
Garage
Nice.

Sent from my SM-G935P using Tapatalk

Acquired Oct 2014: 78 Bronco, 390FE, C6, Resto-Mod Project
Target: 460; AOD and NP205 (adapters)
post #3 of 23 (permalink) Old 01-01-2017, 04:23 PM
Fullsize Member

Bronco Info: 1991 Eddie Bauer 5.8l, Magnaflow cat back exhaust, otherwise stock (for now)
Garage
welcome aboard! Sounds like a nice find but I'm not seeing any pics

1991 EB 5.8L

post #4 of 23 (permalink) Old 01-01-2017, 04:24 PM

Bronco Info: 96 Bronco XL 5.0 E4OD, Man Xfer/Hubs
Garage
Yo Evan,
Welcome!
Unfortunately, the pictures do not appear.
How to POST PICTURES

FYI;
1985 Bronco Brochure
Site is very slow to open.

1985 Speed Control Description, Operation, Adjustment, Testing, etc. pdf

When you have time, fill out your Bronco Info with year, engine size, transmission type, transfer case type (manual or electric shift), locking hub type (automatic or manual) info & major mods such as a Lift, etc. for better responses.
Click User CP
Edit Your Details,
Scroll down to Bronco Info

How to use search (Advanced)

See Baba Looey's Favorite FSB Links (lots and lots of tech links)

Here are some Technical Service Bulletins, (80 through 96) same as by Ford; Search Wiring Diagrams

Please VOTE FSB for Top4x4 site once daily;
Top4x4Sites.com - Listing some of the top 4x4 and Off Road sites on the web!

See my partially recovered Bronco web site ...Will need to clean up dead links & add many more new links some day. Thanks to Mr. Schwim!
THANKS to ALL WHO SERVE!
post #5 of 23 (permalink) Old 01-01-2017, 04:48 PM Thread Starter

[IMG][/IMG]

[IMG][/IMG]

[IMG][/IMG]

[IMG][/IMG]

[IMG][/IMG]
post #6 of 23 (permalink) Old 01-01-2017, 04:50 PM Thread Starter

Did that work with the pics? I am using photobucket to post them. They showed up nicely in the first post on my computer, LOL. I have always had a difficult time posting photos on a forum. I even read the how to, LOL!

Anyway, thanks miesk5 for the links!!

I am having a difficult time finding a filler neck.
post #7 of 23 (permalink) Old 01-01-2017, 05:16 PM
Fullsize Member

Bronco Info: 1991 Eddie Bauer 5.8l, Magnaflow cat back exhaust, otherwise stock (for now)
Garage
Now they're showing up.

1991 EB 5.8L

post #8 of 23 (permalink) Old 01-01-2017, 05:20 PM

Bronco Info: 1981 Bronco, 4.9L, T18, NP208
Quote:
Originally Posted by evans2130 View Post
I am having a difficult time finding a filler neck.
Welcome to the forum and congrats on your Bronco!

Since you have to get one anyway, do yourself a favor and get the '87-up filler neck. It will probably be easier to find and it's a much better design. See post 30 in this thread: can't pump gas into my tank
post #9 of 23 (permalink) Old 01-01-2017, 05:21 PM Thread Starter

Looks like my biggest task in the next couple days is getting this fuel tank on and hooked up, because I don't have all the necessary bolts and such. My oldest daughter (4) said "I'm not riding in that thing until you wash it!" What a diva!

1985 Ford Bronco XLT 302 EFI
Trigger the meat mule
post #10 of 23 (permalink) Old 01-01-2017, 06:43 PM

Bronco Info: 96 Bronco XL 5.0 E4OD, Man Xfer/Hubs
Garage
Y9,
YW!
A Sponsor here, Jeff's Bronco Graveyard, a.k.a. "The Graveyard," has tank straps
Straps & Parts-Broncograveyard.com
Also at Dorman Products - Home Page
&
RockAuto Mobile Catalog

For a YARD SEARCH on-line, I use;
http://www.hollanderparts.com/
A yard that uses Hollander Interchange can search other yards and have it shipped
Can select certain parts
Has Vehicle Pics! They show about 3 - 5 pics for some vehicles
I did a quick search here for 1987 Ford Bronco Air And Fuel Fuel Filler Neck Alternate Fuel Filler Neck.
10 results; one is $25.00, Ship for $20.00,
Mileage 94,000mHog Creek Auto Sls & Salv Sallisaw, OK
Click Buy or View Details to see phone # ans e mahil addy.
CoPartfinder - Your guide to Auto Parts on the Internet
Has Vehicle Pics! They show about 4 - 5 pics per vehicle incl. interior/dash, back seat, front & rear and engine bay.
Can NOT Select certain parts

Car-Part.com--Used Auto Parts Market
Can select certain parts
Has Some Vehicle Pics! They show about 4 - 8 pics per vehicle incl. interior/dash, back seat, front & rear and engine bay

Pick-n-Pull Home
This is a Company name w/yard locations in various states

Row52 | Search Results
Has Vehicle Pics AND Want a Part? It's Easy...
1. You create a Parts Wanted Listing.
2. Parts Pullers respond with offers.
3. You pick the best one.
A Parts Puller gets the parts you need.

for obsolete parts by Ford long version pn:
http://www.partsvoice.com/
Automotive Parts Search | RearCounter.com | Auto Parts Marketplace
Main

&

https://consumerlink.oeconnection.com/91554453363118850 (suggested by JScatt!)

See my partially recovered Bronco web site ...Will need to clean up dead links & add many more new links some day. Thanks to Mr. Schwim!
THANKS to ALL WHO SERVE!
post #11 of 23 (permalink) Old 01-01-2017, 08:59 PM Thread Starter

You are tha man!!!!

I crowded under it earlier with a flash light inspecting everything and getting an idea of what all was there and not there. Looks like the straps are there, but missing the vent for the top of the tank. I have it in my cart on the graveyard. I am going to check a local junk yard tomorrow (if their open) and see what they have. If I find an 87 or up F150 or better yet a bronco I am going to get the stuff I need and want have to worry about waiting on the items shipping. My father-in-law gave me a battery, so I through it on charge tonight as well!!

Thanks for the warm welcome and TONS of info so far. I cant wait to hear Trigger run once more!!

Trigger the meat mule
post #12 of 23 (permalink) Old 01-02-2017, 12:12 AM

Bronco Info: 95 XLT, 351W, E4OD
Welcome to the forum. If you are trying to get a vent valve for the tank make sure you get the correct O-ring seal also. If you try to get one from a junkyard, try cutting the O-ring with a knife to get the valve out. When I changed the tank on my 95, the seal was as hard as a rock and I broke the valve trying to get it out. The seals are cheap, the vent valve wasn't! Good luck.

Fix it, or fix it so someone has to!
post #13 of 23 (permalink) Old 01-03-2017, 09:08 PM Thread Starter

Got a battery from my father in law and let it charge for a day or so. I through it on and it was enough to run the accessories like dome light, door buzzer, head/tail lights, and radio. I tried to see if it would bump the starter and that was a big no go. So a good battery is in order. Also, while working the key switch it seemed "spongy like", there was no significant position and wouldn't spring back when going to the start position (maybe why the starter didn't bump and probably should have hit the sillinoid before giving up on the battery). So I am going to lube it up and see if that helps, if not I will tear apart the column and fix the actuator. I found a good thread under tech to go by. I have all parts in my cart on bronco grave yard for the fuel tank and have contacted a few local junk yards for the filler neck, none have called back. So, I will probably order it from the online junk yard site that miesk5 posted. On a positive note the radio works and the rear speakers jam out!!!!

Trigger the meat mule
post #14 of 23 (permalink) Old 01-04-2017, 09:05 AM Thread Starter

Will the filler neck off of a 1986 F150's rear tank work for my '85 Bronco?

Trigger the meat mule
post #15 of 23 (permalink) Old 01-04-2017, 09:53 AM
Charlie doesn't surf!!

Bronco Info: 1992 xlt, 351EFI, .040, E4OD, D44 SAS w/Trutrac,Detroit locked 8.8, MAF conv, Tweeced
Garage
She needs a little work, but she's not in that bad a shape. I've got a soft spot for that year Bronco, my uncle owned one when I was a kid and it's part of the reason I became a Bronco lover...

as far as the filler hose goes, I'm pretty sure they're unique to the vehicle.. Bronco Graveyard has them for $25.
post #16 of 23 (permalink) Old 01-04-2017, 10:02 AM Thread Starter

Yeah, ol' Trigger has been neglected but I am gather the meds to nurse him back to health. Does that soft top roll down?

I've got the hose in my cart on the grave yard. I was just wondering about the metal filler neck pipe, if it will fit a friend has one he will give me. It is off the rear tank on a 1986 F150.

Trigger the meat mule
post #17 of 23 (permalink) Old 01-04-2017, 07:30 PM Thread Starter

Won't work!! The filler neck is straight and doesn't have the required bend. However in the process of figuring this out I acquired a set of shorty headers for the 302!!
post #18 of 23 (permalink) Old 01-07-2017, 06:46 PM
FSB/Pirate addict

Bronco Info: 1986 XLT: D60 Leaf SAS, 14B, Elocker/Detroit, 37's, ORD Magnum, Triple stick
Garage
Welcome to the site!

Keep in mind all the 85-86 EFI stuff is it's own monster. I've had to scour yards for replacement parts when it would have been easier to swap out to newer stuff (Think air intake box, IIRC knock sensors, location of fuel filter, etc.)

Also that's a crazy clean bench seat
post #19 of 23 (permalink) Old 01-11-2017, 07:40 PM Thread Starter

Got the parts for the tank in the mail and have the neck waiting to be picked up at JY, I dont get home from work before they close. I got a positively with out a doubt good battery hocked up and did some investigating late this afternoon. The motor did turn over with some extra work of the switch (see note 1). My questions/findings are below:

1) The key switch is "mushy" feeling and will only crank the motor when I go all the way forward with it and then some. So actuator pin is broke or wore out? (I have read the sticky on how to replace it so not a problem. I have the wheel ready to remove).

2) The rear window switch for back glass works in the dash and on the gate (only when I go all the way left or right and then some), however when I try to go up or down there is just a clicking/clanging noise back there. Maybe the rod or connector that connects motor to window broke?

3) The drivers side window was left cracked open, I used the switch and it rolled all the way up (maybe an inch or two), now it wont come down or act like it wants to go higher up. Motor bad? Plus the passenger window needs a motor (not one there).

4) There is a fuse missing in the fuel aux position of the fuse panel. Should there be one there?

Ok now for the newbie questions, how many fuel pumps is there. I know one is on the frame rail and obviously the sending unit in the tank. But is there one on the motor? Also, how many fuel filters and where are they? And where is the bleeder valve?

Trigger the meat mule
post #20 of 23 (permalink) Old 01-11-2017, 07:43 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Booma View Post
Welcome to the site!

Keep in mind all the 85-86 EFI stuff is it's own monster. I've had to scour yards for replacement parts when it would have been easier to swap out to newer stuff (Think air intake box, IIRC knock sensors, location of fuel filter, etc.)

Also that's a crazy clean bench seat
I wish it was carbureter but oh well. If I have to replace the motor at any time (and I dont just part it out) then it will be carburated.

Yes the rear bench seat appears to never have been sat in. That is gonna change when it gets running, my dog will love that baby!!!

Trigger the meat mule

Ford Bronco Forum > Welcome > Introductions

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Bronco Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself. DO NOT USE Gmail.com accounts. If you only have a Gmail.com email please contact the administrator here

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode