• 1 Post By miesk5
  • 1 Post By 79BroncoSpringTx

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old 03-16-2017, 09:40 PM Thread Starter

Bronco Info: 1990 EB, 351w E4OD, 4" lift
Garage
Back at it with a Bronco

Hello Friends New and Old,

After years of searching and longing, I have returned to the site and the hobby that bring me both unrivaled anger and brief moments of pleasure. I searched Craigslist for months, telling myself I would not do this again. Like a moth to a flame, I return. I found this 1990 Bronco Eddie Bauer and simply could not resist. The previous owner claims it was a hunting vehicle and saw little use over the years.

As I drove up to his property, the Bronco came into view. At that moment I knew it was going up on my trailer and home with me. The faded red and tan exterior reminded me of my 1991 blue and tan Bronco from high school. The interior proved to be in repairable shape. The windows worked. The rear window worked(kinda). The AC blew cold like a light breeze in the Texas summer (non-existent). It started almost immediately. Smoke arose from the engine bay as I noticed a leak from the valve cover. The engine sputtered, revving wildly. Despite all this, it drove up and down the street and shifted through a few gears. The PO said that it had old gas. My response was shut up and take my money.

I immediately changed the filters and fluids when I got home and put the fuse in for the instrument cluster. That got the truck running to where I can reliably drive around town, even on the highway. It idles high once warm (which will destroy my tranny when I shift out of park, I'm afraid). That brings me to today, where I am currently pulling the valve covers and replacing the gaskets. Upon reassembly, I will change the plugs/wires/cap etc... and see where that gets me for the idle. The engine appears to be rebuilt at some point.

TL-DR I'm back, got a bronco
Pros-
very very little rust
good electrical
strong engine that needs a little love with the idle/computer
runs

Cons-
said idle problem
needs tires and shocks
little things here and there
tranny shifts late all the time and hard out of first

Plans-
this weekend i'm fixing the leak and lifting it 4" (new shocks, new tires). Might try and flush the tranny and change the filter. Though i'm always open to suggestion
long term, i want to rebuild it and keep it forever
79BroncoSpringTx and nra1ifer like this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old 03-16-2017, 10:32 PM

Bronco Info: 1981 Bronco, 4.9L, T18, NP208
Welcome and congrats!
post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old 03-16-2017, 10:50 PM

Bronco Info: 1981 w/302
Welcome!!!

nra1ifer

MADE America Great Again!!!!

post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old 03-17-2017, 08:48 AM

Bronco Info: 96 Bronco XL 5.0 E4OD, Man Xfer/Hubs
Garage
Yo dosdovi,
WB with your 90!
FYI:
1990 Bronco Pre-Delivery Shop & Electrical & Vacuum Troubleshooting Manuals (EVTM) by Kingfish Google Drive slow to load.

As a refresher;
Post your Idle issue in the 1980-'96 Bronco Tech section.

When you have time, fill out your Bronco Info with year, engine size, transmission type, transfer case type (manual or electric shift), locking hub type (automatic or manual) info & major mods such as a Lift, etc. for better responses.
Click User CP
Edit Your Details,
Scroll down to Bronco Info

Common Replies to FAQs includes for example:
How to use search (Advanced)
Baba Looey's Favorite FSB Links (lots and lots of tech links)

Here are some wiring diagrams (partial, 86 through 96) and Technical Service Bulletins, (80 through 96) same as by Ford; Search Wiring Diagrams

VOTE FSB for Top4x4 site once daily @ Top4x4Sites.com - Listing some of the top 4x4 and Off Road sites on the web!

See my partially recovered Bronco web site ...Will need to clean up dead links & add many more new links some day. Thanks to Mr. Schwim!
THANKS to ALL WHO SERVE!
post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old 03-17-2017, 09:51 AM Thread Starter

Bronco Info: 1990 EB, 351w E4OD, 4" lift
Garage
Thanks for the warm welcome y'all!

Once I get the engine tuned up to an acceptable level, I'll start asking questions about the idle. There seem to be a few routes I can go right now, I'd like to narrow that list down.

1978 Bronco, details to come when I get it finished
post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old 03-17-2017, 12:48 PM

Bronco Info: 96 Bronco XL 5.0 E4OD, Man Xfer/Hubs
Garage
Yo,
High idle with no applicable codes is usually caused by:
Vacuum leaks. See my leak test in post #11 @ Help with dtc codes and idle
Especially intake manifold gasket leak

Sticking throttle linkages or PLATE

Speed Control chain is binding, if equipped

Air intake tube is damaged

See High Idle Tips by Mikey @ Engine idles high

Throttle Position Sensor (TPS) Function & Diagnosis TSB 94-26-4 for 93-95; DTC 121,122,123, 124, 125, OBD II Code P0122 & P0123; "...The following is a list of vehicle symptoms which have been associated with the TPS, but can also be related to other vehicle components. Check engine light, Stalls, quits, hesitation/stumble, fast idle; To minimize the replacement of good components, be advised that the following non-EEC areas may be the issue: Excessive blow-by, PCV malfunction, Vacuum leaks, Fuel pressure, Throttle sticking or linkage binding.
The following is a list of vehicle symptoms which have been associated with the TPS, but can also be related to other vehicle components.
Check engine light
Stalls/quits
Hesitation/stumble
Fast idle
MANY VOLTMETERS WILL AUTOMATICALLY CHANGE RANGES WHEN MEASURING TPS OUTPUT FROM IDLE TO WOT. WHEN A VOLTMETER IS USED TO MEASURE TPS OUTPUT FROM IDLE TO WOT, THE METER SCALES OR CHANGES RANGES AUTOMATICALLY. THERE MAY BE AN ERRONEOUS METER DISPLAY UNTIL THE VOLTMETER HAS LOCKED TO THE APPROPRIATE VOLTAGE READING. THE ERRONEOUS METER DISPLAY DOES NOT REPRESENT A DEFECTIVE TPS. NOTE: IT IS RECOMMENDED THAT THE "RANGE LOCK" FEATURE ON MANY METERS BE SET FOR CHECKING TPS VOLTAGE..." @ http://redirect.viglink.com/?format=...sb-94-26-4.pdf

http://www.fullsizebronco.com/forum/...anagement.html by Seattle FSB
dosdovi likes this.

See my partially recovered Bronco web site ...Will need to clean up dead links & add many more new links some day. Thanks to Mr. Schwim!
THANKS to ALL WHO SERVE!
post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old 03-17-2017, 01:22 PM
Redneck Engineer

Bronco Info: 79 Bronco Ranger XLT C6 35's

Ford Bronco Forum > Welcome > Introductions

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Bronco Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself. DO NOT USE Gmail.com accounts. If you only have a Gmail.com email please contact the administrator here

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode