• 1 Post By Gen2busa
  • 1 Post By miesk5
  • 1 Post By Gen2busa
  • 1 Post By Gen2busa
  • 1 Post By 445 FE Bronco

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 15 (permalink) Old 05-18-2017, 09:41 PM Thread Starter

Hello from illinois

I don't currently own a bronco but I've just placed my rzr up for sale. Should be able to get what I'm looking for once it sells.

With that outta the way little bit about me. I drag race motorcycles and that is my main hobby. I've always wanted a bronco I've just never owned one yet. Would love to have an early bronco but can't justify the cost of one. my wife and I were talking and it came up we should sell the rzr and I suggestsd getting a fsb. We used the rzr for plowing the driveway and driving around on the country roads by us. Now we have 2 little girls it's hard for us to enjoy it. No way I'm paying for a crew cab Polaris. Bronco makes sense to me

Looking to get a 90-96 with a 351 keep it pretty close to stock. Bigger tires possibly a small lift. It'll be used to clean the the driveway and play around in the snow. We live in farm country and it can get pretty nasty when we do get snow. I'm hoping to find a nice enough one I can run errands in it and keep miles off my dually. Can't wait to get one!
445 FE Bronco likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 15 (permalink) Old 05-18-2017, 09:59 PM

Bronco Info: 1984 Rebuilt 5.0 Free Wheeling Package
Garage
Welcome! You race in Byron?

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk

1984 Full Size Ford Bronco w rebuit 302 and Auto w/OD
Lotsa Rust - Lotsa Noise - Lotsa fabricating
Project for my son and me
Here is the blog of our progress
Project Alpha Bronco
post #3 of 15 (permalink) Old 05-19-2017, 08:10 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnnyk8 View Post
Welcome! You race in Byron?

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk
I race at us41 in Indiana and the grove in Wisconsin. I haven't been to Byron yet but would like to hit a 2 wheel speed event this year.

I live a little south of joliet
johnnyk8 likes this.

post #4 of 15 (permalink) Old 05-19-2017, 08:18 AM
FSM Lifetime

Bronco Info: 1978 Round headlight, 351M,C6, 9", 44/1991, 445 FE, t19, 205, Dana 60/70, MAF, Moet's
Garage
OMG you are within miles of me, I am over the border in Peotone by Crown Point Indiana. Prices are steep around here and the later models bring top dollar. You could get more for your buck down south down by Terra Haut or Evansville.

BTW what kind of bike do you have? I ran a GSXR and KZ back in the day at 41 and Route 66.
post #5 of 15 (permalink) Old 05-19-2017, 08:40 AM

Bronco Info: 96 Bronco XL 5.0 E4OD, Man Xfer/Hubs
Garage
Yo Gen2busa,
Welcome!
If you have any Bronco questions, it is better to ask each seperately in Noobie Bronco Tech Questions. Flame free zone. This will get more attention and you can build up your post count to get into other sections such as Bronco and Ford Parts/Accessories (75 posts required to view).

Forum Common Replies to FAQs includes for example:
How to use search (Advanced)
How to POST PICTURES
Baba Looey's Favorite FSB Links (lots and lots of tech links)
We have a 96, bought it new in May 96 and basically, we "over-maintain" it...meaning 3k mile oil/filter changes & lube, all filters changed, etc.. using Ford's severe duty schedule.
One of the most reliable daily drivers and beach run/light off road vehicles we've have ever had (incl the ex 78).
Still, we had minor problems that we addressed quickly.

Check VIN for Model Year & Engine Type (for example; 5.0, 5.8, 4.9 or 351W CID 5.8 4 BBL Carb, etc.) .

Ask for maintenance records. If no maint records are avail; check and replace if needed all filters and fluids.
Order a CarFax. Although not all accident info is provided other important info is providee @ https://www.carfax.com
While you take a test drive, have someone stay behind or follow and check for leak puddles, exhaust smoke, tire shimmy, etc.
dash_cam offers very good advice on having an independent inspection done at sellers location! If you cant inspect it yourself, post Location in the noobie section and ask members for their help or seek out an ASE certified shop in area to inspect it for you.

Besides the usual visual, driveability and leak checks, look for:
- oil pan rust - our's formed spots @ 62k miles - sand it down and prime/paint it w/Rust Bullet Automotive) & high temp. paint - too time-consuming replacement for such a basic thing as not having better gauge and paint by Ford
- radiator plastic side seam leaks, esp. during engine cool-down period/overnight - our's leaked @ 50k miles & again just recently - look for leaks after engine has cooled down, esp overnight
- auto tranny - E4OD in 90 to 96 had a lot of improvements made by 96 so look for good shifts and see the maintenance records; fluids/filter should have been changed every 30k miles and less if used for towing - look for leaks around pan from (front) Pump seal. Observe color and odor of the fluid. It should be red, not brown or black. Odor may indicate overheating condition, clutch disc or band failure. Use an absorbent white facial tissue and wipe the fluid level indicator. Examine the stain for evidence of solid particles and for engine coolant signs (gum or varnish on fluid level indicator).
If particles are present in the fluid or there is evidence of engine coolant or water, the transmission pan must be removed for further inspection.
- engine rear main/timing chain cover seals, etc.
- rust in inner rear fender lips, bottom of B pillars and bottom of tailgate (fender lips are rusting due to Ford's flawed spot weld process on the inner (tub) and 1/4 panel that lets moisture & debris in the seam) - A Bronco may need extensive & $$$ patch or full panel replacements at a body shop, but some diy.
check tg drains for clogs/rust..check weather seals, esp the outer ws on glass
- radius arm bushing deterioration (I coated em w/pure silicone, from day 1) but replaced at 80k miles w/Daystar polyurethane bushings
- Programmable Speedometer Odometer Module (PSOM in 92-96), make sure it works; look for a slight waver in the needle at highway speeds.
- cracked exhaust manifold/Y, etc.
- roof/gutter area cracks (mostly appl. to earlier years)
- emissions air check valve & cat. converter (AIR) tubes tend to rust early; as does the AIR tube; buy locally or from pciinc.com
- radiator core supports, lower, it rusts mainly on passenger side, PIA to replace
- body mount deterioration and frame rust
-transfer case operation - electric push button motor/connector is a prob. area; usually a broken travel stop and/or the motor connector is fouled, etc.

Also the Check Engine Light (CEL) comes on when the electronic engine control system is not working properly. The check engine warning indicator comes on briefly when the ignition switch lock cylinder is turned to ON, and should turn off when the engine starts. If the check engine warning indicator does not come on when the ignition switch lock cylinder is turned to ON or if it comes on while the vehicle is moving, the system is malfunctioning
If the CEL does not light up at all when starting it; then suspect that bulb is burnt-out or loose, socket was damaged by PO or shop, etc. or someone removed it.
Is CEL ON when starting or while driving?

Same for:
E4OD if equipped, Transmission Control Indicator Light (TCIL) , it is a LED and overdrive on/off switch at end of the Transmission shifter stalk; flashing OD light is an indication of a transmission related trouble code in the Powertrain Control Module (PCM).
Is it flashing while driving?

For pre 96 with EFI do a SELF TEST for diagnostic trouble codes (DTC)s by my pal BroncoJoe

For a 96 get it checked for codes free at Parts Stores if you don't diy with a scanner.

The anti-lock brake electronic control module monitors the electromechanical components of the system. Malfunction of the anti-lock brake system will cause the Anti-lock brake electronic control module to shut off or inhibit the system. However, normal power assisted braking remains. Malfunctions are indicated by the amber ABS warning light inside the vehicle.

The 4-wheel anti-lock brake system (93-96) is self monitoring. When the key is placed in the RUN position, the anti-lock brake electronic control module will perform a preliminary self check on the anti-lock electrical system indicated by a momentary illumination of the amber ABS warning light in the instrument cluster. During vehicle operation, including normal and anti-lock braking, the anti-lock brake electronic control module monitors all electrical anti-lock functions and some hydraulic operations. In most malfunctions of the anti-lock brake system, the amber ABS warning light will be illuminated. However, most malfunctions are recorded as a coded number in the anti-lock brake electronic control module memory and assist in pinpointing the component needing service. If system is OK, Code 16 will be present.
Our module blew the microprocessors a few years ago and two yard modules were bad. No returns so I'm running without 4WABS, just like the old days.

miesk5 NOTE: "1987 was the year the rear anti-lock brakes (RABS) were standardized on Broncos; "...Rear-wheel ABS is another type of ABS available on some light trucks. It works in a similar fashion to four-wheel ABS, but monitors and operates only the rear wheels, especially important with light trucks, which often carry heavy loads supported primarily by the rear suspension and wheels..."

Enjoy our site & please VOTE FSB for Top4x4 site once daily @ Top4x4Sites.com - Listing some of the top 4x4 and Off Road sites on the web!

See my partially recovered Bronco web site ...Will need to clean up dead links & add many more new links some day. Thanks to Mr. Schwim!
THANKS to ALL WHO SERVE!
post #6 of 15 (permalink) Old 05-19-2017, 10:14 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by 445 FE Bronco View Post
OMG you are within miles of me, I am over the border in Peotone by Crown Point Indiana. Prices are steep around here and the later models bring top dollar. You could get more for your buck down south down by Terra Haut or Evansville.

BTW what kind of bike do you have? I ran a GSXR and KZ back in the day at 41 and Route 66.
I'm actually right off peotone road. I'm actually in crown point quite often. I've been looking all around on Craigslist. Can't really make a move until that rzr sells.

I have to gen 2 hayabusa's. One is 8+ over 1441 with a 75 shot of nitrous and all the goodies. The other is stock minus bolt-ons. That one just keep me practiced up. I ran at KOTS last year and both glued events at 41
post #7 of 15 (permalink) Old 05-19-2017, 10:17 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by miesk5 View Post
Yo Gen2busa,
Welcome!
If you have any Bronco questions, it is better to ask each seperately in Noobie Bronco Tech Questions. Flame free zone. This will get more attention and you can build up your post count to get into other sections such as Bronco and Ford Parts/Accessories (75 posts required to view).

Forum Common Replies to FAQs includes for example:
How to use search (Advanced)
How to POST PICTURES
Baba Looey's Favorite FSB Links (lots and lots of tech links)
We have a 96, bought it new in May 96 and basically, we "over-maintain" it...meaning 3k mile oil/filter changes & lube, all filters changed, etc.. using Ford's severe duty schedule.
One of the most reliable daily drivers and beach run/light off road vehicles we've have ever had (incl the ex 78).
Still, we had minor problems that we addressed quickly.

Check VIN for Model Year & Engine Type (for example; 5.0, 5.8, 4.9 or 351W CID 5.8 4 BBL Carb, etc.) .

Ask for maintenance records. If no maint records are avail; check and replace if needed all filters and fluids.
Order a CarFax. Although not all accident info is provided other important info is providee @ https://www.carfax.com
While you take a test drive, have someone stay behind or follow and check for leak puddles, exhaust smoke, tire shimmy, etc.
dash_cam offers very good advice on having an independent inspection done at sellers location! If you cant inspect it yourself, post Location in the noobie section and ask members for their help or seek out an ASE certified shop in area to inspect it for you.

Besides the usual visual, driveability and leak checks, look for:
- oil pan rust - our's formed spots @ 62k miles - sand it down and prime/paint it w/Rust Bullet Automotive) & high temp. paint - too time-consuming replacement for such a basic thing as not having better gauge and paint by Ford
- radiator plastic side seam leaks, esp. during engine cool-down period/overnight - our's leaked @ 50k miles & again just recently - look for leaks after engine has cooled down, esp overnight
- auto tranny - E4OD in 90 to 96 had a lot of improvements made by 96 so look for good shifts and see the maintenance records; fluids/filter should have been changed every 30k miles and less if used for towing - look for leaks around pan from (front) Pump seal. Observe color and odor of the fluid. It should be red, not brown or black. Odor may indicate overheating condition, clutch disc or band failure. Use an absorbent white facial tissue and wipe the fluid level indicator. Examine the stain for evidence of solid particles and for engine coolant signs (gum or varnish on fluid level indicator).
If particles are present in the fluid or there is evidence of engine coolant or water, the transmission pan must be removed for further inspection.
- engine rear main/timing chain cover seals, etc.
- rust in inner rear fender lips, bottom of B pillars and bottom of tailgate (fender lips are rusting due to Ford's flawed spot weld process on the inner (tub) and 1/4 panel that lets moisture & debris in the seam) - A Bronco may need extensive & $$$ patch or full panel replacements at a body shop, but some diy.
check tg drains for clogs/rust..check weather seals, esp the outer ws on glass
- radius arm bushing deterioration (I coated em w/pure silicone, from day 1) but replaced at 80k miles w/Daystar polyurethane bushings
- Programmable Speedometer Odometer Module (PSOM in 92-96), make sure it works; look for a slight waver in the needle at highway speeds.
- cracked exhaust manifold/Y, etc.
- roof/gutter area cracks (mostly appl. to earlier years)
- emissions air check valve & cat. converter (AIR) tubes tend to rust early; as does the AIR tube; buy locally or from pciinc.com
- radiator core supports, lower, it rusts mainly on passenger side, PIA to replace
- body mount deterioration and frame rust
-transfer case operation - electric push button motor/connector is a prob. area; usually a broken travel stop and/or the motor connector is fouled, etc.

Also the Check Engine Light (CEL) comes on when the electronic engine control system is not working properly. The check engine warning indicator comes on briefly when the ignition switch lock cylinder is turned to ON, and should turn off when the engine starts. If the check engine warning indicator does not come on when the ignition switch lock cylinder is turned to ON or if it comes on while the vehicle is moving, the system is malfunctioning
If the CEL does not light up at all when starting it; then suspect that bulb is burnt-out or loose, socket was damaged by PO or shop, etc. or someone removed it.
Is CEL ON when starting or while driving?

Same for:
E4OD if equipped, Transmission Control Indicator Light (TCIL) , it is a LED and overdrive on/off switch at end of the Transmission shifter stalk; flashing OD light is an indication of a transmission related trouble code in the Powertrain Control Module (PCM).
Is it flashing while driving?

For pre 96 with EFI do a SELF TEST for diagnostic trouble codes (DTC)s by my pal BroncoJoe

For a 96 get it checked for codes free at Parts Stores if you don't diy with a scanner.

The anti-lock brake electronic control module monitors the electromechanical components of the system. Malfunction of the anti-lock brake system will cause the Anti-lock brake electronic control module to shut off or inhibit the system. However, normal power assisted braking remains. Malfunctions are indicated by the amber ABS warning light inside the vehicle.

The 4-wheel anti-lock brake system (93-96) is self monitoring. When the key is placed in the RUN position, the anti-lock brake electronic control module will perform a preliminary self check on the anti-lock electrical system indicated by a momentary illumination of the amber ABS warning light in the instrument cluster. During vehicle operation, including normal and anti-lock braking, the anti-lock brake electronic control module monitors all electrical anti-lock functions and some hydraulic operations. In most malfunctions of the anti-lock brake system, the amber ABS warning light will be illuminated. However, most malfunctions are recorded as a coded number in the anti-lock brake electronic control module memory and assist in pinpointing the component needing service. If system is OK, Code 16 will be present.
Our module blew the microprocessors a few years ago and two yard modules were bad. No returns so I'm running without 4WABS, just like the old days.

miesk5 NOTE: "1987 was the year the rear anti-lock brakes (RABS) were standardized on Broncos; "...Rear-wheel ABS is another type of ABS available on some light trucks. It works in a similar fashion to four-wheel ABS, but monitors and operates only the rear wheels, especially important with light trucks, which often carry heavy loads supported primarily by the rear suspension and wheels..."

Enjoy our site & please VOTE FSB for Top4x4 site once daily @ Top4x4Sites.com - Listing some of the top 4x4 and Off Road sites on the web!
Thank you for the heads up. I've been reading up on here and most of the questions I had I've already found answers to. Until i actually have one in my possession I probably won't have to many tech questions
post #8 of 15 (permalink) Old 05-19-2017, 10:50 AM
FSM Lifetime

Bronco Info: 1978 Round headlight, 351M,C6, 9", 44/1991, 445 FE, t19, 205, Dana 60/70, MAF, Moet's
Garage
If you ever need anything I am on Barr Road, about 2 miles from you, we live on a farm at Barr and Center roads. We must know each other. I bought Steve Wilsons 78.
post #9 of 15 (permalink) Old 05-19-2017, 12:19 PM Thread Starter

That's awesome. Not a lot of ford guys around here
post #10 of 15 (permalink) Old 05-19-2017, 12:37 PM
FSM Lifetime

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gen2busa View Post
That's awesome. Not a lot of ford guys around here
Gary Bickel has a Bronco and there are a couple more in town, Steve bought a 91 from Washington a few months ago. I would like to check out your drag bikes sometime, hope the Bronco search yields a good truck for Ya. I'll keep an eye out for you and let you know if I come across something. Are you dead set on the last generation?
post #11 of 15 (permalink) Old 05-19-2017, 02:42 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by 445 FE Bronco View Post
Gary Bickel has a Bronco and there are a couple more in town, Steve bought a 91 from Washington a few months ago. I would like to check out your drag bikes sometime, hope the Bronco search yields a good truck for Ya. I'll keep an eye out for you and let you know if I come across something. Are you dead set on the last generation?

I think to get the most creature comforts for the wife and kids the last generation would be best for me. Id love to have an older one but being fair to them.

Yeah have to meet up sometime. I'm thinking I should find something rather quickly. Not quite as hard to find as an EB. The trick will be finding a nice enough one
post #12 of 15 (permalink) Old 05-19-2017, 03:04 PM
FSM Lifetime

Garage
The rot gets em if they hang out too long here as you already know so finding a clean one local will be challenging an expensive without some traveling. The Brick Nose Broncos come dressed pretty well with goodies but lack MAF which is pretty easy to upgrade. All the same generation trucks share the same components from door forward with a F series truck so Mike over at Acme usually has whatever I need.
Gen2busa likes this.
post #13 of 15 (permalink) Old 05-19-2017, 04:42 PM Thread Starter

Yes rust is an enemy up here. I have family down in tennessee so I can put them on the hunt as well.

I've had 5 foxbody mustangs so yes I think MAF is the way to go over speed density.ii know its not to hard to convert. I wouldn't shun an 80's model If had most of stuff I was looking for and was clean
post #14 of 15 (permalink) Old 05-19-2017, 07:13 PM
FSM Lifetime

Garage
Hey did you buy my 2000 Mountaineer?
post #15 of 15 (permalink) Old 05-20-2017, 10:59 AM Thread Starter

No sir.

Ford Bronco Forum > Welcome > Introductions

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Bronco Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself. DO NOT USE Gmail.com accounts. If you only have a Gmail.com email please contact the administrator here

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode