This site has too many ads and not enough Bronco. What happened?? - Page 2 - Ford Bronco Forum
 13Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #21 of 32 (permalink) Old 09-18-2016, 05:56 PM
gone fish'n

Bronco Info: pile of parts
Quote:
Originally Posted by silver70 View Post
I just installed AdBlock Plus (as recommended by schwim and Pepe`) about 15 minutes ago. Literally. My Windows 10 just auto-updated to a better version, today, which allowed me to install AdBlock, finally. It was free and, so far, works great. FSB loads much faster now and I don't have any lagging issues or scrolling problems due to lagging issues. Ads are, for the most part, gone.

Thanks schwim and Pepe`!
pretty much anyone surfing these days with some sort of adblocker is well wasting their time at looking at what they want.

I can say that a paying membership with out adblocker is not that bad, but non paying or just as a guest it is down right horrible!

'01 F250, 444ci of straight piped oil burning fun. 4x4, 6 spd, GTP38R noise maker, Stage 2 injektorz. Lotsa fun!

Let's Go Fishing.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #22 of 32 (permalink) Old 09-19-2016, 07:41 PM

Bronco Info: 1990 F150, 5.8 w/GT40X heads, Lightning intake, E4OD, 33" tires, detroit locker rear & true trac fro
I updated to google chrome a week or so ago. It is better, been really good except for oddly today is a bit buggy. Guess I'll try the adblocker too. Do you just down load it online also??

Thanks for EVERYONE's help so far.

tim
post #23 of 32 (permalink) Old 09-19-2016, 08:02 PM
Resident Nice Guy

Bronco Info: 1979 Ranger XLT, 351m, 4 speed
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by TS 90F150 View Post
Guess I'll try the adblocker too. Do you just down load it online also??
Hi there Tim,

Visit this site: https://adblockplus.org/

Click "Install for Chrome" and click "Add Extension". It will install the extension and then a new tab will open up showing you that it installed. Once that's done, you should be all set.
TS 90F150 likes this.

This is my signature. There are many like it, but this one is mine.
My signature is my best friend. It is my life. I must master it as I must master my life.

Schwim! A social site with an identity crisis.

post #24 of 32 (permalink) Old 09-19-2016, 09:32 PM

Bronco Info: 1990 F150, 5.8 w/GT40X heads, Lightning intake, E4OD, 33" tires, detroit locker rear & true trac fro
Quote:
Originally Posted by schwim View Post
Hi there Tim,

Visit this site: https://adblockplus.org/

Click "Install for Chrome" and click "Add Extension". It will install the extension and then a new tab will open up showing you that it installed. Once that's done, you should be all set.
Just did this and my initial impression is WOW! You know I have a F150 instead of a Bronco right? And you did this all for your 1/2 brother from a different mother. (Same bad ass dad made the F150 and Bronco---lol)

Thanks again and if it continues to work like it is right now I am a very happy camper.

tim
post #25 of 32 (permalink) Old 09-19-2016, 09:35 PM
Resident Nice Guy

Garage
Enjoy! :)
TS 90F150 likes this.

My signature is my best friend. It is my life. I must master it as I must master my life.

post #26 of 32 (permalink) Old 09-19-2016, 10:21 PM
FSM Lifetime

Bronco Info: 1978 Round headlight, 351M,C6, 9", 44/1991, 445 FE, t19, 205, Dana 60/70, MAF, Moet's
Garage
Weird I get no ads running IOS and pages load super fast? Makes me reconsider running windows, I need a windows system to run my Motes tuner but may go with a cheap laptor and use it just for tuning purposes.
post #27 of 32 (permalink) Old 09-20-2016, 09:01 AM
Resident Nice Guy

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by 445 FE Bronco View Post
Weird I get no ads running IOS and pages load super fast? Makes me reconsider running windows, I need a windows system to run my Motes tuner but may go with a cheap laptor and use it just for tuning purposes.
Operating systems have nothing to do with ad blocking. The reason you're not seeing ads on your phone is because they're not baked into the mobile template that the site uses. All the magic happens at the desktop resolution.

The browsers and addons we have been discussing work across all operating systems, Win, OSX and *nix. Rest easy knowing you wouldn't need to choose an operating system based on viewing ads on the web
445 FE Bronco likes this.

post #28 of 32 (permalink) Old 09-20-2016, 09:37 AM
FSM Lifetime

Bronco Info: 1978 Round headlight, 351M,C6, 9", 44/1991, 445 FE, t19, 205, Dana 60/70, MAF, Moet's
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by schwim View Post
Operating systems have nothing to do with ad blocking. The reason you're not seeing ads on your phone is because they're not baked into the mobile template that the site uses. All the magic happens at the desktop resolution.

The browsers and addons we have been discussing work across all operating systems, Win, OSX and *nix. Rest easy knowing you wouldn't need to choose an operating system based on viewing ads on the web
I am using an iPad Pro, just got it a few months ago so I am sure the processing has improved. I use my dads laptop running the new windows ( not sure of the version) and it has a lot of compatibility issues running Abobe flash player and some other site based systems. I know a little ( very little ) about the new operating systems as the last DOS stuff I did was with Millenium, what a nightmare that was to fix. So what would you recommend for the best windows system ? As I am going to have to run it regardless, I am planning on building my own laptop with duel core processor and all that good stuff.
post #29 of 32 (permalink) Old 09-20-2016, 10:39 AM
Resident Nice Guy

Garage
I can't really recommend a "best" Windows system. I'm sure there's others here more hardware savvy than I but as long as you stay away from the entry-level spec systems and components, you'll end up with a machine capable of running Win 10 smoothly. I've got 10 on three machines in this house, one of which is a mildly upgraded POS $300 Wal-Mart Acer laptop and it works great. There are a few suggestions I would make in regards to performance:

1) NEVER install Flash or Java. They are the largest security risks you can have on your computer and they try very hard to hose your system with constantly running background processes and by installing extra and unwanted software during updates, further hurting your computer's performance. If you absolutely have to have Flash, use Google Chrome. It's built into the browser so it is patched quickly and doesn't try to install extra crap on your computer.

2) Be careful what you do install. Windows performance degrades over time primarily because of it's registry-based system and the fact that any software is allowed to stick their fingers in it. Even after you uninstall something, without extra forensic work, the uninstalled software usually leaves behind elements that gum up the works, slowing things down a tiny bit at a time at best or even causing errors and crashes when things can't be found at worst.

3) Take care of your investment! Every once in a while, do a little bit of preventative maintenance. Check for malware with MalwareBytes(free), get rid of orphaned and unneeded files and clean your registry with CCleaner(also free) and let the built in Windows Defender(the free trifecta!) do an automated scan once a day to check for viruses or malware. To keep it from ever showing up, never click on links in emails from people you don't recognize or that don't make sense, don't open zip files, run programs or click "OK" any time your system asks you if you're sure you want to allow something to happen if you didn't expect it to and always run an ad blocker (malware is often passed via the ad networks that are serving you the advertisements).

It's pretty popular for people to bag on Windows of any version but I've run them all successfully and although I choose to run linux personally, my whole family runs various versions of Windows daily with no issue at all(We have all versions from XP to 10 running in the house right now). Any version is capable of working well with proper setup and a little common sense.
445 FE Bronco likes this.

post #30 of 32 (permalink) Old 09-20-2016, 10:50 AM
FSM Lifetime

Garage
My last system was XP, ran great while I had it. But where my computer went is another story I would laugh but it ain't funny.
post #31 of 32 (permalink) Old 09-20-2016, 10:53 AM

Bronco Info: 1996, 351W, E4OD, BFG 33x12.5 KM2, 15x10 Pro Comp, D44/8.8 3.55LS, JBG Level Kit, (6) ES9000 Shocks
As others have mentioned, it will be sad to see a knowledgeable user depart.

There are few of us Tech guys that can assist with your PC issue. Try another web browser, run a free malwarebytes virus scan online, google the software. You probably just have malware.

"I mean, it had a little growl to it, GROWL?? That was an exhaust leak." - PhantomWorks

post #32 of 32 (permalink) Old 09-20-2016, 11:20 AM
Administrator

Hi there,

most of the ads you see are there when you're viewing the forum as a guest. log in and you should see less. Watch out for pop-up ads though, if those occur or any redirecting ads, you can report those and we'll get them removed. Keep in mind that we need a screen shot and a URL/script for those ads.

Lee

Ford Bronco Forum > Welcome > Suggestions, Feedback & Site Help

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Bronco Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself. DO NOT USE Gmail.com accounts. If you only have a Gmail.com email please contact the administrator here

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode