cant view unread posts - Ford Bronco Forum
 2Likes
  • 1 Post By fullsize
  • 1 Post By schwim

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 9 (permalink) Old 01-28-2017, 11:07 AM Thread Starter

Bronco Info: driving a 78 rusty piece o crap owned 23 yrs, and working on another 78 bronco,mint,460
Garage
cant view unread posts

this happens when something comes up and I have to walk away from computer for a bit,seems like it times out
even though I am still logged on , when I go to click next page it tells me there is nothing there
so last night I had something come up and I left logged in all night before I looked at all 7 pages of new posts

this morning there was still 6 pages of not looked at posts and I cannot see view because it tells me there is nothing there

so I logged out and back in and searched new posts only to find only 2 pages of new posts ,the ones posted since my last log on time
how can I see the posts I missed with out looking through every forum
checking for latest posts
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 (permalink) Old 01-28-2017, 01:33 PM
Harley's & Bronco's FTW!

Bronco Info: '95 XLT, 5.8/E4OD/MassAir/6" lift/4.56's/35x12.5 BFG AT-KO2
Garage
I recently had our AutoGuide folks extend the "time out" because I was having a similar problem trying to admin the forum.
They bumped it up from 45 minute "session", to 3 hours. That being the case, I can only assume you have something wiping out the cookies on your PC?

Might try deleting temp files and cookies and check your settings.

"When life throws you a curve... LEAN INTO IT!"

SuperMotors - Since 2002
post #3 of 9 (permalink) Old 01-28-2017, 06:15 PM Thread Starter

Bronco Info: driving a 78 rusty piece o crap owned 23 yrs, and working on another 78 bronco,mint,460
Garage
thanks Pepe

I was thinking it was a time out issue but was wondering why next time I logged in it only gave me posts since last log in
I will check my puter settings,i only have the issue when either walk away for a while and come back or have to shut down
my computer does delete recent search history when I shut down

if I haven't been on in a few days,there may be like 12 pages of unread posts and if I don't read them all right at that session ,I cannot read them next time I login in and that makes for some really late nights trying to read many pages of posts
I have missed a lot of new posts because of issue

post #4 of 9 (permalink) Old 01-29-2017, 12:38 AM
Harley's & Bronco's FTW!

Garage
I understand. Trying to keep up with the whole forum, the same function is key for me.
That's why I had them increase the time-out setting.

Maybe they'll chime in next week and offer some further insights.

SuperMotors - Since 2002
post #5 of 9 (permalink) Old 01-29-2017, 02:01 AM Thread Starter

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by BikerPepe` View Post
I understand. Trying to keep up with the whole forum, the same function is key for me.
That's why I had them increase the time-out setting.

Maybe they'll chime in next week and offer some further insights.
thanks
post #6 of 9 (permalink) Old 01-30-2017, 02:08 PM
Administrator

Hey there

Can you let us know what browser you are using and what skin of the site you are on? (Full, Classic, etc).

To clarify, you are logging in and then visiting New Posts - sometimes up to 3 pages. If you leave before finishing those New Posts, upon your return the page is cleared, as if nothing has been posted? Or only a few items, if you were only gone for a short time?

I took a look at the settings and it is supposed to be tracking based on cookies, which means if you are visiting on the same computer each time, it should remember what you have and haven't read. It is set to auto-clear but only after 10 days, definitely not a few hours! I tried 'turning it off and on again', so take a look and see if that changes anything for you.

Dayle
BikerPepe` likes this.
post #7 of 9 (permalink) Old 01-30-2017, 03:03 PM
Resident Nice Guy

Bronco Info: 1979 Ranger XLT, 351m, 4 speed
Garage
Hi there, Trusty!

Skip to the bold at the bottom if you could care less why it's happening and just want it to stop :)

The problem likely isn't anything on your end but in how the way VBulletin (the forum software) handles "new posts". In a (misguided) effort to lessen server resources on the search function, VBulletin turns every search into a search ID. When you click the "New Post" button, if you look at the resulting URL, you'll see a search ID there:

search.php?searchid=14522745

This is so they can skip duplicating a search if they don't need to. If you click the "New Posts" link again and nothing has been posted to the forum since the last time you did the search, you'll see the same ID sitting there. If something has changed, you'll get a new search and related ID.

This affects you because those search IDs expire, regardless, of what you're doing on your end. You go back to look at more and they're missing because the forum already served up unread posts for your ID but that search ID has been destroyed.

Another negative to this system is you can't share search URLs with others to help them find something because the search ID is long gone by the time anyone else clicks on it.

In theory, the search function is the most taxing function in a forum. It has to dig through potentially 100's of thousands of posts' worth of content to find what you want. In reality, however, most forums aren't serving enough searches to make this a beneficial system. Unfortunately, VB doesn't offer you the ability to handle search in a more logical manner.

The best solution to keep you from losing the content you haven't seen is to use the "Last Day" link instead of the "New Posts" system. Although this system forgets what is unread to you, the search will always bring up the posts made < 24 hours. Use that link (it's the first link in the drop down if you simply hover over "New Posts" or if you're on mobile, clicking "new posts" will bring it into view.

You'll notice that the system unbolds topics it thinks you've seen when using this search. Take note that it's often wrong as well as it's using your last active time to guess the content you've already seen.
BikerPepe` likes this.

This is my signature. There are many like it, but this one is mine.
My signature is my best friend. It is my life. I must master it as I must master my life.

Schwim! A social site with an identity crisis.
post #8 of 9 (permalink) Old 01-30-2017, 08:01 PM
Harley's & Bronco's FTW!

Garage
that knowledgeable message brought to you by tech-xpert, Mr. Schwim.

SuperMotors - Since 2002
post #9 of 9 (permalink) Old 01-31-2017, 11:19 AM
Administrator

Thanks for your input!

Has the above information helped clarify this at all?

Richard.

Ford Bronco Forum > Welcome > Suggestions, Feedback & Site Help

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Bronco Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself. DO NOT USE Gmail.com accounts. If you only have a Gmail.com email please contact the administrator here

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode