Bronco Forum - Full Size Ford Bronco Forum banner

Manual tranny in, E4OD out... what are the options?

2K views 11 replies 7 participants last post by  79F150 
#1 ·
Showing my ignorance here. I want to pick up a 96 Bronco, 351W/E4OD later on, but I want to lose the E4OD and install a manual transmission. What are my best/better options for this? I just want to row my own gears in a Bronco, but I my head is too big to buy an XL...

#2 ·
This is going to be tricky, because I'm not sure whether there is a 1996 OBD-II PCM with a manual transmission as standard equipment. Off the top of my head, I'd say you'd be looking for one out of a manual transmission & 5.0L-equipped truck. I'm sure Fireguy probably either has one on his list, or knows of one that'd work. The other option would be to look for an F-series truck with that setup (maybe an F-250 with a ZF gearbox???), but remember you're going to have to stick with a 1996 PCM.

A smarter-yet option might be to obtain a programmed/programmable chip to change the transmission strategy switch (it's an integer somewhere in the PCM's program). This way, there's no changing of the PCM or wiring harness, and it'd all be done in programming.

#5 ·
OK, I'm still trying to process this.

It sounds like what you're saying is that the 96 OBD-II PCM will not take to missing the E4OD, and possibly throw the computer into a limp mode?

My understanding with the speed density rigs was that the computer didn't care if there was an automatic there or not, you just shorted the neutral safety switch. Or maybe they swapped to a 351W/C6 computer, I can't remember.

#3 ·
Once you get past the PCM issues Sig was stating you just need to aquirer all the parts. It isn't a difficult swap. I would look for a ZF-5 but you do have the option of a M5R2 if you aren't looking to get crazy with your bronco. The Mazda trannies are not supposed to be as stout as the ZF's are.

#4 ·
This Bronco will essentially only be for vacation with the family, instead of buying an Expy. But I want a manual transmission, just because it would be cool. So no engine changes, just a run of the mill 351W. Would the Mazda 5 speed survive behind that? I remember back when I was at Virginia Tech, that was the tranny that a couple of the guys had in their Broncos... but they were driving 89-91s with 5.0s. I had my 87 351W HO 4 bbl with C6. :)

#6 ·
I got my M5R2 from a junkyard F-350 with a 351 that the previous owner had swapped in and it is still operating fine. I am however putting it behind a lightly modified 302, so only time will tell, I guess. It is only a temporary while I build my other engine and tranny.

#9 ·
You'll want a ZF5 from an F250 with a 351. The computer wont be an issue since the engine doesnt read any inputs from the transmission. The M5OD was not designed to withstand the extra torque of a 351 which is why it was never combined with a 351 from the factory.

#10 ·
From what I've been reading I should just go ahead and buy an F-250 parts truck to get the pedal assembly, transmission, crossmember, etc... since the tranny itself looks like it goes for $1400ish from a yard. You can pick up a truck for $1500ish...

#12 ·
Here is Ogeechee's build where he put an NP 435 in a 95 Bronco... http://www.fullsizebronco.com/forum/showthread.php?t=129834

Your options are...

M5OD IIRC the Mazda 5 speed best with a 302
ZF-5 Stronger than the M5OD
T-19 Borg Warner Granny 4 speed
T-18 Borg Warner 4 speed
NP-435 New Process Granny 4 speed

You will have to get a computer that is for a manual truck like an F150-250 or a forestry Bronco (because they were more common to have manuals). IIRC some mustang computers work. (talk to FireGuy about that)

Another option if you wanted to get away from the E4OD but wanted to stay manual you could convert to a C6 but you will not have OD..;)

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.