Does the ignition coil need to be grounded? - Ford Bronco Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 9 (permalink) Old 01-05-2009, 06:14 PM Thread Starter

Bronco Info: 175k+ 92 Bronco, 351W,E4od, 35 x 12.50 x R15 Tires
Does the ignition coil need to be grounded?

My ignition coil bracket is missing the rod that holds up the bracket and bolts into the eng block,is that a grounding point for the coil?

Also if that is what kind of problems would occur because of that?

92 Bronco, 351 Motor.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 (permalink) Old 01-05-2009, 06:26 PM
Fullsize Member

Bronco Info: '87 XLT, new crate 5.0, rebuilt AOD, new 31"s, new Warn Premiums, all stock w/125K original miles
I'm pretty sure that the bracket grounds the coil. Ergo if your coil is not grounded then it won't work and your truck won't run.

But the good news is that if she won't run you will be getting fantastic gas mileage......

I support gay marriage. As long as both the chicks are hot............
post #3 of 9 (permalink) Old 01-05-2009, 07:18 PM
Satyr of the Midwest

Location: Ida & Grand Rapids, Michigan, a.k.a The Unemployment Capital of America
Bronco Info: 1993 EB, 5.8L, BIO0 MAF, GT40Ps, Mustang cam, GT40 Intake, Custom Headers, Moates QuarterHorse
Doesn't matter. The iron core is there only to intensify the electromagnetic field created by the coil's induction properties and geometry. The (+) side needs battery voltage, the (-) side is switched on and off by the ignition module, and the secondary post is "grounded" when the coil fires, if you want to look at it that way.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	EEC-IV Ignition Circuit.jpg
Views:	430
Size:	77.4 KB
ID:	9288  

SigEpBlue
Wheelin' across Michigan from Ida to Grand Rapids, baby!
Quote:
Nemo nisi per amicitiam cognoscitur -- No one learns except by friendship.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Adlai Stevenson
Isn't it conceivable to you that an intelligent person could harbor two opposing ideas in his mind?
post #4 of 9 (permalink) Old 01-05-2009, 09:45 PM

Bronco Info: '96, 5.8, 4.56, 4", 35's, Thorleys, Warn 8274, 5100's, 160 3G, Sag, 10.25, E-fan, Projectors, 8-Lug
Yeah, What he said!

DON'T GIVE UP PUSH THE PEDAL ON THE RIGHT JUST A LITTLE BIT HARDER DNBELOWBRONCO www.supermotors.net/17883

"Be who you are and say what you feel because those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind" -Dr. Seuss-
post #5 of 9 (permalink) Old 01-06-2009, 05:45 AM
OUT OF BUSINESS / M.I.A.

Bronco Info: rusty
Quote:
Originally Posted by SigEpBlue View Post
Doesn't matter. The iron core is there only to intensify the electromagnetic field created by the coil's induction properties and geometry. The (+) side needs battery voltage, the (-) side is switched on and off by the ignition module, and the secondary post is "grounded" when the coil fires, if you want to look at it that way.
almost...
The ignition module is typically open. It grounds the (-) side to build the spark. Then when it opens the circuit the spark is discharged. The longer the dwell time the greater the spark energy. The exact time the ignition module releases ground is the timing advance.
post #6 of 9 (permalink) Old 01-06-2009, 01:11 PM
Satyr of the Midwest

Location: Ida & Grand Rapids, Michigan, a.k.a The Unemployment Capital of America
Bronco Info: 1993 EB, 5.8L, BIO0 MAF, GT40Ps, Mustang cam, GT40 Intake, Custom Headers, Moates QuarterHorse
I was trying to keep it simple!

But yes. Mostly. Greater dwell can only be effective to a certain point.

That was the premise behind CCD: only switch the coil current on long enough to make the electromagnetic collapse, when the primary circuit is opened, induce an adequate secondary voltage. This helps coil life by keeping primary current duration lower, thus dissipating less heat. It also theoretically allows better control, since the CCD TFI module will only fire when told to by the PCM, and the PCM can monitor whether its exact commands have been executed via IDM directly from the ignition module. Before CCD, the TFI was in control of dwell, and you would get a certain lag due to the filtering effects of the IDM circuit sourcing right off the ignition coil. This was more of a 'problem' at higher RPMs. Not terribly noticeable, but it was there.

Anyhow, when the field collapses, the secondary circuit is completed when the gaps are ionized and current flow begins. The (+) of the secondary circuit is the coil's output post, and its (-) is the vehicle chassis. I think that's what I was getting at.

EDIT -- I found a neat little Java-based example on this webpage: http://www.magnet.fsu.edu/education/...oil/index.html

SigEpBlue
Quote:
Quote:
Isn't it conceivable to you that an intelligent person could harbor two opposing ideas in his mind?
post #7 of 9 (permalink) Old 01-06-2009, 04:21 PM
OUT OF BUSINESS / M.I.A.

Bronco Info: rusty
Quote:
I found a neat little Java-based example on this webpage: http://www.magnet.fsu.edu/education/...oil/index.html
very cool

Ryan McCormick

Fuel Injection Technical Library
Parts replacement is not auto repair, if you canít diagnose, donít open the hood!
post #8 of 9 (permalink) Old 01-06-2009, 08:38 PM
Banned

Bronco Info: '83 VIN & title on '93 frame/body w/'95 4.9L & EB paint
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fireguy50 View Post
The longer the dwell time the greater the spark energy.
...within the limits of the coil's design & the resistance of the 2ndry circuit.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fireguy50 View Post
The exact time the ignition module releases ground is the timing advance.
...provided it occurs while the rotor is close to a cap terminal.
Quote:
...the coil current on long enough to make the electromagnetic collapse...
I think you mean "form".
post #9 of 9 (permalink) Old 01-06-2009, 11:16 PM
Satyr of the Midwest

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve83 View Post
I think you mean "form".
In the sentence I posted, "form" would've been the correct word. I guess my brain was ahead of my fingers again. The words between the commas should've been deleted, and the rest of the sentence should've been rearranged. I meant to say:

Quote:
That was the premise behind CCD: switch the coil current on just long enough so when the coil is switched off, the collapsing electromagnetic field will induce an adequate secondary voltage.
The underlined words would've added some clarity, no? In more simple terms, the coil primary should be on just long enough.

SigEpBlue
Quote:
Quote:

Ford Bronco Forum > Bronco Discussions > Noobie Bronco Tech Questions. Flame free zone!

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Bronco Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself. DO NOT USE Gmail.com accounts. If you only have a Gmail.com email please contact the administrator here

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode