Front shock mount replacement(dual shock version) - Ford Bronco Forum
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 17 (permalink) Old 01-26-2010, 09:35 AM Thread Starter
Registered User
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: Uniontown, OH
Posts: 33
Bronco Info: 1994 Bronco XLT 4x4 5.8L
Front shock mount replacement(dual shock version)

I plan to replace my shocks this spring/summer. I noticed that the front shocks mounts are really rusty and brittle. I'd like to replace these when I do that shocks. I know they're riveted into the frame. How hard will these be to replace? Any suggestions? I did some searching, but only found examples of people repairing these, not replacing. Thanks!
bubbasuwannee is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #2 of 17 (permalink) Old 01-26-2010, 09:41 AM
Troll
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: ipswich, ma
Posts: 772
Bronco Info: 1988 black f150, 302, 5 speed, sas'd
just drill the rivets out and bolt the new ones in with high grade bolts
m8r8j is offline  
post #3 of 17 (permalink) Old 01-26-2010, 10:11 AM Thread Starter
Registered User
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: Uniontown, OH
Posts: 33
Bronco Info: 1994 Bronco XLT 4x4 5.8L
Great, figured there wasn't much to it.
bubbasuwannee is offline  
post #4 of 17 (permalink) Old 01-26-2010, 10:31 AM
Registered User
 
FE Bronco's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Colorado Springs (Pikes Peak), CO
Posts: 465
Bronco Info: Just SOME of my Dad's medals!! Moving to WA for a while to get to know him now that I found him!
If you are going to do that much work, go the extra mile and use some sort of heavy duty rust-resistant coating on the new mounts. Powder-coating would probably be best and there are plenty of do-it-yourself kits these days or even just find a fellow Bronco guy here or a shop locally to do it for you. I am planning to do that piece by piece as I replace them. If your shock mounts look that bad, take a close look at your rear leaf spring mounts. Chances are good they are in as bad or worse condition, and believe me, your leaf springs breaking loose from the mounts are much more "exciting" and butt-clenching than a shock absorber failing!! Your leaf springs are the only thing connecting your rear end to the truck. If they decide to let go, you are just along for the ride, and the crash at that point.


85 XLT 351W 4bbl / C6 - stock FOR NOW!!


The greatest thread ever on FSB! IMHO
http://www.fullsizebronco.com/forum/...d.php?t=154751
FE Bronco is offline  
post #5 of 17 (permalink) Old 01-26-2010, 10:48 AM Thread Starter
Registered User
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: Uniontown, OH
Posts: 33
Bronco Info: 1994 Bronco XLT 4x4 5.8L
Quote:
Originally Posted by FE Bronco View Post
If you are going to do that much work, go the extra mile and use some sort of heavy duty rust-resistant coating on the new mounts. Powder-coating would probably be best and there are plenty of do-it-yourself kits these days or even just find a fellow Bronco guy here or a shop locally to do it for you. I am planning to do that piece by piece as I replace them. If your shock mounts look that bad, take a close look at your rear leaf spring mounts. Chances are good they are in as bad or worse condition, and believe me, your leaf springs breaking loose from the mounts are much more "exciting" and butt-clenching than a shock absorber failing!! Your leaf springs are the only thing connecting your rear end to the truck. If they decide to let go, you are just along for the ride, and the crash at that point.
Good point. I plan to anti-rust the underside as much as possible this summer. Got loads of stuff on my to-do list.
bubbasuwannee is offline  
post #6 of 17 (permalink) Old 01-26-2010, 12:05 PM
Registered User
 
zrxw13's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: The White A-Town, Colorado
Posts: 1,677
Bronco Info: 96,5.8, Built E40D, 2.5" Prog. Rate Coils, AAL, Full 3" w/ CherryBomb Vortech, K&N, SCT Custom Tuner
If your doin all that work to take off the stock bucket anyways, i would get a stock 78-79 coil bucket, and put f-250 shock towers on either side of it, then you can upgrade to longer shocks, and the double eye mount style rather than stock eye/post mount...

F-250 shock towers: Clicky
zrxw13 is offline  
post #7 of 17 (permalink) Old 01-26-2010, 12:35 PM Thread Starter
Registered User
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: Uniontown, OH
Posts: 33
Bronco Info: 1994 Bronco XLT 4x4 5.8L
Quote:
Originally Posted by zrxw13 View Post
If your doin all that work to take off the stock bucket anyways, i would get a stock 78-79 coil bucket, and put f-250 shock towers on either side of it, then you can upgrade to longer shocks, and the double eye mount style rather than stock eye/post mount...

F-250 shock towers: Clicky

What's the advantage to that? I plan to keep it pretty much stock, i.e. no lift or bigger wheels/tires.
bubbasuwannee is offline  
post #8 of 17 (permalink) Old 01-26-2010, 02:17 PM
Registered User
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Posts: 208
If you switch over to the double shock mount, will the extra shock just bolt or mount on or is there some type of fabing you have to do.
ford460 is offline  
post #9 of 17 (permalink) Old 01-26-2010, 02:24 PM
Registered User
 
zrxw13's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: The White A-Town, Colorado
Posts: 1,677
Bronco Info: 96,5.8, Built E40D, 2.5" Prog. Rate Coils, AAL, Full 3" w/ CherryBomb Vortech, K&N, SCT Custom Tuner
well if you plan to keep it stock then i wouldnt worry about it...

the advantages it would bring is to give you more shock options w/ the double eye mount, as well as give you a much longer shock for more travel.

zrxw13 is offline  
post #10 of 17 (permalink) Old 01-26-2010, 02:38 PM
Registered User
 
zrxw13's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: The White A-Town, Colorado
Posts: 1,677
Bronco Info: 96,5.8, Built E40D, 2.5" Prog. Rate Coils, AAL, Full 3" w/ CherryBomb Vortech, K&N, SCT Custom Tuner
Quote:
Originally Posted by ford460 View Post
If you switch over to the double shock mount, will the extra shock just bolt or mount on or is there some type of fabing you have to do.
make sure i understand your question: if you switch over from a factory single shock to factory double shocks?


if that is your question, IIRC that if your BKO came w/ single factory shocks upfront that there is only one shock mount on the axle. so you would have to fab a second mount on the axle to mount the second shock.
zrxw13 is offline  
post #11 of 17 (permalink) Old 01-26-2010, 05:38 PM Thread Starter
Registered User
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: Uniontown, OH
Posts: 33
Bronco Info: 1994 Bronco XLT 4x4 5.8L
Quote:
Originally Posted by zrxw13 View Post
well if you plan to keep it stock then i wouldnt worry about it...

the advantages it would bring is to give you more shock options w/ the double eye mount, as well as give you a much longer shock for more travel.


Thanks. Man, that sure looks clean!
bubbasuwannee is offline  
post #12 of 17 (permalink) Old 02-01-2010, 10:18 AM Thread Starter
Registered User
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: Uniontown, OH
Posts: 33
Bronco Info: 1994 Bronco XLT 4x4 5.8L
Quote:
Originally Posted by FE Bronco View Post
If you are going to do that much work, go the extra mile and use some sort of heavy duty rust-resistant coating on the new mounts. Powder-coating would probably be best and there are plenty of do-it-yourself kits these days or even just find a fellow Bronco guy here or a shop locally to do it for you. I am planning to do that piece by piece as I replace them. If your shock mounts look that bad, take a close look at your rear leaf spring mounts. Chances are good they are in as bad or worse condition, and believe me, your leaf springs breaking loose from the mounts are much more "exciting" and butt-clenching than a shock absorber failing!! Your leaf springs are the only thing connecting your rear end to the truck. If they decide to let go, you are just along for the ride, and the crash at that point.
Yup, my driver's side rear leaf mount was totally gone. I can't believe I didn't notice it before. I've had a clunk/pop coming from the rear ever since I got it. The passenger side rear has already been replaced.
bubbasuwannee is offline  
post #13 of 17 (permalink) Old 01-03-2011, 05:40 PM
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Posts: 1
hey where would I get the spring tower I can find them Mine rusted on my bronco and i want to replace them
tommy71383tl is offline  
post #14 of 17 (permalink) Old 01-03-2011, 05:42 PM Thread Starter
Registered User
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: Uniontown, OH
Posts: 33
Bronco Info: 1994 Bronco XLT 4x4 5.8L
bubbasuwannee is offline  
post #15 of 17 (permalink) Old 01-04-2011, 01:13 PM
Registered User
 
zrxw13's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: The White A-Town, Colorado
Posts: 1,677
Bronco Info: 96,5.8, Built E40D, 2.5" Prog. Rate Coils, AAL, Full 3" w/ CherryBomb Vortech, K&N, SCT Custom Tuner
Tommy, if you just want factory replacments then get them from broncograveyard.com

I dont know anything about your bronco tho... what year is it? do you have factory dual shocks or singles? Do you want to just do stock replacments or do you want to upgrade to long travle shocks?
zrxw13 is offline  
post #16 of 17 (permalink) Old 08-30-2012, 04:34 PM
Registered User
 
deathmobile2's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Location: Herndon, VA
Posts: 691
Bronco Info: 1978 XLT Ranger; 400, AT, 37" MTR's,4.88's & Lockers,5" Deavers, No Rust & No Knicknacks!
Garage
What shock model is that?!
deathmobile2 is offline  
post #17 of 17 (permalink) Old 08-30-2012, 06:23 PM
Forward Some Money
 
j. r. Nice's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2004
Location: Ohio, heart of
Posts: 4,633
Bronco Info: '89 Bronco, 5.8, MAF, Summit shorties, Bassani SS, AOD, Tru-trac posi, Stocker
Quote:
Originally Posted by bubbasuwannee View Post
I plan to replace my shocks this spring/summer. I noticed that the front shocks mounts are really rusty and brittle. I'd like to replace these when I do that shocks. I know they're riveted into the frame. How hard will these be to replace? Any suggestions? I did some searching, but only found examples of people repairing these, not replacing. Thanks!
I replaced my driver side mount when I did my frame off. Not bad to do. I ground mine down with a die grinder / cut-cut off wheel and air hammered 'em out. I final finished my frame and then bolted the new ones back with grade 8 fasteners.

Here's a sample.....several pics forward show what was behind.


Click HERE to visit my frame-off NOS restoration thread.

Photobucket Album ....and a crap load of pictures....
j. r. Nice is offline  
Reply

  Ford Bronco Forum > Bronco Discussions > Noobie Bronco Tech Questions. Flame free zone!

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now



In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Bronco Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:


Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself. DO NOT USE Gmail.com accounts. If you only have a Gmail.com email please contact the administrator here

Email Address:
OR

Log-in









Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.



Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Display Modes
Linear Mode Linear Mode



Posting Rules  
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On

 
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome