ford external voltage regulator diagram - Ford Bronco Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 3 (permalink) Old 06-18-2010, 10:33 PM Thread Starter
#1 Asshole

Bronco Info: 90 5.0 H.O. E4OD BW1356 3.54 3L55 32/11.50R15 Black not the one in the pic ^^^
ford external voltage regulator diagram

I am trying to help a buddie of mine wire his external voltage regulator on 73 f150 I know how to wire it to make it charge but (yes the but part) he has an idiot light and wants it to work I have searched here and many other places and am not finding anything set in stone I have found 2 different ways to wire it on google. Please help me the only way I know off the top of my head to wire it and make it work is

I-switched hot/ignition
A-always hot
S-stator
F-field
or
I-none
A-always hot
S-switched hot/ignition
F-field

now the one I found on google says to wire it this way for idiot light

I-idiot light and 500 ohm resistor in parallel-ignition
A-always hot
S-switched hot/ignition
F-field

but then another said to wire it

I-idiot light and 500 ohm resister in parallel-ignition
A-always hot
S-stator
F-field

So the question is what do i do here any one have any experience with any of this or can tell me how yours is actually wired with the blooming idiot light.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 3 (permalink) Old 06-19-2010, 07:17 PM

Bronco Info: 1988
It is:

I = Indicator light
A = 12+ battery positive, this is the where the regulator judges the state of charge in the battery from. Commonly known as sense.
S = Stator, this wire goes to the STA on the alternator, and it is what tells the regulator the alternator is charging and to turn the idiot light off
F = Is the field wire. This is the wire that carries power from the regulator to rotor inside the alternator for it to creat a field with.
post #3 of 3 (permalink) Old 06-19-2010, 10:59 PM Thread Starter
#1 Asshole

Bronco Info: 90 5.0 H.O. E4OD BW1356 3.54 3L55 32/11.50R15 Black not the one in the pic ^^^
Quote:
Originally Posted by RRRAAAYYY2 View Post
It is:

I = Indicator light
A = 12+ battery positive, this is the where the regulator judges the state of charge in the battery from. Commonly known as sense.
S = Stator, this wire goes to the STA on the alternator, and it is what tells the regulator the alternator is charging and to turn the idiot light off
F = Is the field wire. This is the wire that carries power from the regulator to rotor inside the alternator for it to creat a field with.
ok the indicator light gets wired in parallel with a 500 ohm resister and then one side of the light resister combo goes to the I post on the regulator and the other side goes to the ignition/switched power source. right?

Ford Bronco Forum > Bronco Discussions > Noobie Bronco Tech Questions. Flame free zone!

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Bronco Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself. DO NOT USE Gmail.com accounts. If you only have a Gmail.com email please contact the administrator here

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode