how to diagnose bad trans vs transfercase - Ford Bronco Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 10 (permalink) Old 02-19-2011, 07:14 PM Thread Starter
si vis pacem, para bellum

Bronco Info: 1989 Incendiary Device XLT 5.0 32x11.50 AOD
how to diagnose bad trans vs transfercase

alright guys

the bronco was acting up and making some bad noises when i began cruising. so i flushed the transfer case hoping that was the problems.

today i went for a test drive it acted fine for about 3 miles then on my way home the transmission began spinning. by spinning i mean i was giving it gas but noting happened, RPMs went up and speed was going down. i ended up coasting home and pushing it around the block to park it.

i had my transfer case break off last year (PO had over torqed the bolts when he had the trans rebuilt and cracked the bolts) and it gave me the exact same symptoms that it is today. i checked the trans fluid and it was a little light colored (redish pink vs just red) but not burned.

im gonna drop the pan on the AOD tomorrow and check for any ball bearings or anything. the last fluid change was about 20k ago.

whats the best way to tell if its the trans vs the transfer case.

i really only need it to run for 60 days till i ship out for basic

Quote:
Originally Posted by BRONCONUT View Post
I told my wife she would be more likely to leave before my bko.
USAF ballistically integrated tactical cargo handler

Quote:
Originally Posted by c-dub View Post
If I had to pick a lord and savior it would be John Moses Browning .
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 (permalink) Old 02-19-2011, 08:46 PM
Age. Fac ut gaudeam

Bronco Info: 1993 Ford F-150 Custom 5.8/E4OD
Try shifting into 4-low, and 4-hi.

Drop the pan, super easy thing to do and see if there's any shavings/chunks.

EDIT: My vote is on trans though.

1996 Ford Bronco Eddie Bauer 5.8/E4OD EFI
1993 Ford F-150 Custom 5.8/E4OD EFI
1979 Ford F-150 Custom 5.0/4speed
1994 Honda Civic gallo24/folgers
2008 Jeep Liberty 3.7/42r
post #3 of 10 (permalink) Old 02-19-2011, 09:04 PM
Wrenching for a Livin'

Bronco Info: '85 Ford Bronco XLT.
if it was the transfer case it would have either jumped into neutral or something would have snapped/made noise/grinded.

Probably the trans. The AOD is kind of known for kicking the bucket. The TV cable didn't break did it? (cable that goes from the throttle down to the trans)

My SuperFord
'85 Bronco......
Welded 14 bolt, HPKingpin D60 w/ lockright, ZF5, NP205, 4.88 gears, SMPFI 393 w/ EDIS(gufx strat), Chevy 52s Front, Inboarded Chevy 63s Rear, DOM heim steering, DOM cage, Saginaw pump, 3/8" fuel system, 200amp 3G Alternator....

ASE Master Automotive Technician
ASE Master Medium/Heavy Truck Technician
post #4 of 10 (permalink) Old 02-20-2011, 12:32 AM Thread Starter

i had a grinding noise about 5 mins prior to losing power.

Quote:

Quote:
post #5 of 10 (permalink) Old 02-20-2011, 12:47 AM
shibby

Is the transmission parking position holding the the truck? If yes- the t-case isn't the problem.

Does this "free-wheeling" happen in every gear position including reverse? If yes- you may have a broken flex plate or a screwed up torque converter. If the starter still turns over the engine, you can rule out the flex plate. I've had a broken flex plate and a broken torque converter on separate occasions.
post #6 of 10 (permalink) Old 02-20-2011, 01:36 AM
Age. Fac ut gaudeam

Bronco Info: 1993 Ford F-150 Custom 5.8/E4OD
This is exactly what happened to my E4OD, drop it now before it gets worse.

1996 Ford Bronco Eddie Bauer 5.8/E4OD EFI
1993 Ford F-150 Custom 5.8/E4OD EFI
1979 Ford F-150 Custom 5.0/4speed
1994 Honda Civic gallo24/folgers
2008 Jeep Liberty 3.7/42r
post #7 of 10 (permalink) Old 02-20-2011, 03:24 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dustball View Post
Is the transmission parking position holding the the truck? If yes- the t-case isn't the problem.

Does this "free-wheeling" happen in every gear position including reverse? If yes- you may have a broken flex plate or a screwed up torque converter. If the starter still turns over the engine, you can rule out the flex plate. I've had a broken flex plate and a broken torque converter on separate occasions.
park makes it stay still. explain to me how that rules it out, if you would be so kind. havent tried it in reverse... didnt feel like pushing it any more LOL.

Quote:

Quote:
post #8 of 10 (permalink) Old 02-20-2011, 12:04 PM
shibby

Quote:
Originally Posted by paintballdude902 View Post
park makes it stay still. explain to me how that rules it out, if you would be so kind. havent tried it in reverse... didnt feel like pushing it any more LOL.
The parking pawl is in the transmission. If the t-case was freewheeling (like putting it in neutral)- there wouldn't be anything preventing the truck from rolling.
post #9 of 10 (permalink) Old 03-12-2016, 12:13 AM

just googled the exact issue my 1990 is having I drive for a mile or so then it starts making a free spinning noise like if the transfer case is going into neutral. I can put it in park and it still rolls free does this mean I have a bad transfer case?
post #10 of 10 (permalink) Old 03-12-2016, 12:52 PM

Bronco Info: 96 Bronco XL 5.0 E4OD, Man Xfer/Hubs
Garage
Yo,
AOD parking pawl location pics in,
Ford AOD Transmissions: Rebuilding and Modifying the AOD, AODE and 4R70W
By George Reid

Article No. 84-14-10
TRANSMISSION - AUTOMATIC - AOD- REVISED PARK MECHANISM PARTS
FORD 1984 FORD, LTD, THUNDERBIRD
LINCOLN-MERCURY 1984 MERCURY, LINCOLN, MARK VII, COUGAR, MARQUIS, CONTINENTAL
LIGHT TRUCKS 1984 E, F SERIES AND BRONCO
All AOD model transmissions built after May 2, 1984, may have revised "Park" mechanism parts. The parts changes accomodate revisions to the park pawl actuating rod and affect the park pawl, the park pawl shaft, the guide cup (not serviced) in the transmission case, and the transmission case. Refer to Figures 7 through 10 for visual differences between the original hardware level and the revised hardware level. Special hardware identification is also highlighted.

The revised parts are not interchangeable with the earlier level parts. Therefore, when field service requires replacement of the revised parts or of the transmission case, the following serviceability requirements apply.

Transmissions with build dates BEFORE May 2, 1984

Refer to model identification tag attached to transmission extension housing bolt for transmission build date information (see Shop Manual Section 17-01 for model identification tag explanation).

1. For service replacement of the park pawl actuating rod (7A232), the park pawl (7A441), and/or the park pawl shaft (7D071).

^ Use original level hardware when the transmission case is the original level. Verify case level by identification illustrated in Figure 10.
^ Use revised level hardware if the transmission case is the revised level. Always verify case level by identification illustrated in Figure 10.

2. For service replacement of the transmission case (7005):

^ The service case will be the revised level case which requires the revised level park pawl actuating rod, park pawl and shaft. The revised level hardware will be packaged with the case for convenience.
^ For a short while, the original level case will be in the parts depot until the supply is exhausted. This case must be used for case replacement on transmissions built prior to May 2, 1984. The original level park hardware must be used with this case.

Transmissions with build dates AFTER May 2, 1984.
Refer to model I.D. tag attached to transmission extension housing bolt for transmission build date information (see Shop Manual Section 17-01 for model I.D. tag explanation).
1. For service replacement of the park pawl actuating rod (7A232), the park pawl (7A441), and/or the park pawl shaft (7D071):
^ Use the revised level park hardware. However, verify the transmission case level as a precaution. The transmission case should always be the revised level requiring the revised level park hardware.
2. The service replacement of the transmission case (7005):
^ Use the revised level case. The revised park hardware will be packaged with it and available to use if necessary.
PART NUMBER PART NAME CLASS
E4AZ-7005-A Case A
OTHER APPLICABLE ARTICLES: None
WARRANTY STATUS: "INFORMATION ONLY"

See my partially recovered Bronco web site ...Will need to clean up dead links & add many more new links some day. Thanks to Mr. Schwim!
THANKS to ALL WHO SERVE!

Ford Bronco Forum > Bronco Discussions > Noobie Bronco Tech Questions. Flame free zone!

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Bronco Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself. DO NOT USE Gmail.com accounts. If you only have a Gmail.com email please contact the administrator here

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode