Bronco Forum - Full Size Ford Bronco Forum banner

2 E4OD transmissions and still same PROBLEM

16K views 34 replies 16 participants last post by  miesk5 
#1 ·
7 Months and going guys. Heres what I have replaced since my Bronco went into limp mode:

#1 Transmission:
VSS
MLPS (New Connector)
3 Solenoid packs
1 Solenoid Harness
3 PSOM (Speedometer Cluster)
1 ECU (Computer
Replaced all fuses
All New Fluid and Filter

After buying all these things, and checking every WIRE in the harness, Bronco will still not shift out of low gear. NOW....

I bought another Transmission Rebuild from a '93 thinking It was last option....

Nope! still will not shift on its own. The odds of all these parts Ive replaced and the people I have talked too is astronimical! You would have better odds at winning the lottery.

Still get the same codes, 624, 638. EPC circuit low, transmission temp out of range. My OD does not work either. Was blinking, but now does nothing. Any one else know what to check? Im thinking there is a cross somewhere in the wiring thats grounding out my solenoid pack?

See less See more
#6 ·
did you make sure your tranny cooler is working/flushed. Maybe it got some gunk in there and screwing things up? Change the temp sensor if there is one, get the cooler and tranny completely flushed (not just fluid changed). Or get rid of the stock cooler and put in an aftermarket one. Maybe use a high end oil like Royal purple. Expensive, but I put that in my tranny and it made a world of difference, better milage, better shifting, and probably runs cools. Also, (the most annoying part) trace all the wiring and make sure none of it is rubbing raw anywhere from frame/body contact. Make sure all pins on connectors are fully seated. Since you replaced all those things and still have issues, I'd bet it's a wiring issue.. I'm guessing you're not replacing all the vehicle wiring in all this...it's the only thing not changed ;)

#34 ·
Didnt read this entire page *maybe should have but im at work and its loading slow* Ebay search for * EZ harness *. EZ wiring has several universal wiring kits for vehicles, got one sitting on the shelf to do my bronco as well. random shorts, stuff working then not. Im not sure on just getting the wiring for the trans, but wiring corrosion in any connector that rubs on tranny wires could throw everything off. And its very hard to find a single shorting wire in a full harness.

#9 ·
This definitely sounds like it's wiring related..I had something similar come up when I swapped a '95 engine harness into my '92. did you change the engine harness on your rig?

check out post #117 in my MAF conversion thread. I cover every single bit of wiring for the E4OD in this. Might be useful.

http://www.fullsizebronco.com/forum/showthread.php?t=196630&page=6

#10 ·
have you ever thought that maybe the EEC itself is at fault?

#11 ·
If you look closely, says he has replaced it already.

tim

#13 ·
I know a lot of folks insist on diagnosing and fixing problems on their own, but with all the time and parts you've thrown at it, wouldn't it have made sense to bring it to a dealer and pay them to diagnose and then decide if you want them to do the work or take it back and do it yourself?

#16 ·
Neither a bad TPS sensor nor MAP sensor will cause this problem, so we dont have to worry about those.

Ok lets start from the beginning, see if theres a clue weve missed.

You said the fist transmission went into limp mode. What was wrong with it that it went into limp mode (what was it doing/not doing, what codes, etc)? Im assuming you replaced the solenoid packs with it in, but when it still didnt shift, you dropped the trans and swapped it out?
So now here we are with a second trans installed, and it is the exact same problem as the first? Does it go into first & reverse? If you shift from 1 to 2, will it upshift to 2nd? How about when its in D?

#18 ·
This.

Did you maintain records of any codes pulled during the course of this issue?

if you have a GOOD replacement E4OD in place, I urge you to retain it and continue trouble shooting this issue.

as Jermil said, it sounds wiring related. Do NOT give up hope. Although, feel free to sell some things you've already bought or replaced to offset your costs.

#20 ·
Yes all gears are working. P R N D 1 2. When I go to D it will not get out of low/ 1st gear. Since 6 months I keep getting the same codes 624 and 638. 3 different solenoid packs. I'm asking is there anything else I'm over looking before I get a transmission harness replacement.

#21 ·
You mentioned that you replaced the connector to the MLPS. You may want to check your wiring there, make sure you have continuity when and where you should.

You might consider changing the MLPS itself. I recall miesk5 posting about issues with water intrusion into them.

Also when they are installed they need to be checked for proper adjustment. I can't help other than to say search.

#24 ·
yo 92,
I don't have the 92 E4OD Wiring Diagrams fpr you to go thru continuity tests, but I do have other year LINKs; look @ them to see if they changed from 91 to 95
Wiring Diagrams (Partial, Bronco similar) for F 150 in 86, 89, 91 & 95; EEC, Start/Ignition, EFI/Fuel System, Emissions, E4OD, AOD/C6 (+ clutch interlock switch), etc.
Source: by Ryan M (Fireguy50) at http://oldfuelinjection.com/?p=36

Wiring Diagrams in a 95 from EVTM (Click Next to view more)
Source: by SeattleFSB (Seattle FSB) at http://www.supermotors.net/registry/media/859597

Wiring Diagrams in a 96 Bronco & F 150
Source: by Ford via Steve83 (Steve, That dirty old truck) at http://www.supermotors.net/registry/media/774998

See attached diagrams below (for a 96, but should be same) showing Harnesses, etc for E4OD

Instrument Panel Wiring Installation, F-150, F-250, F-350 and Bronco (Gasoline Engines)
Item Part Number Description
1 To Headlamp Switch
2 To Fuse Box
3 14A282 Retainer Assembly
4 N606678-S39 Screw
5 Connector (Part of 12A581)
6 Connector (Part of 14A504)
7 13A506 Locator, Position in Hole Provided
8 To Park Signal Lamp Switch
9 To Multi-Function Switch
10 To Stoplight Switch
11 Clip (Part of 14401)
12 E4OD Pigtail (Part of 14401)
13 To Ignition Switch and Steering Column Wiring
14 To 14405
15 To Starter Switch Clutch Interlock
16 Take-Out to Shift on the Fly Switch and Electric Defrost Switch (Part of 14401)
17 To Warning Buzzer Chime
18 Remote Keyless Entry Programming Connector
19 15K602 Remote Keyless Entry Module
20 Air Bag Module
21 14A163 Retainer Assembly
22 To Trailer Brake Controller
23 14A099 Shield
24 Vacuum Hose Clip (Part of Vacuum Harness)
25 Ashtray Wiring (Part of 13726)
26 15A044 Cigar Lighter
27 PSOM Test Circuit (Part of 14401)
28 To Bowden Cable
29 18813 Radio Antenna
30 Brake Anti-Lock Module Test Circuit (Part of 14401)
31 To 14630
32 To 14B095
33 To 18A586
34 To Right Courtesy Lamp Switch
35 To Inertia Switch
36 14463 To Ground
37 To Clearance Lamp F-Series Only for Continuation
38 Wiper Control Module
39 2C018 Rear Brake Anti-Lock Module (F-150, F-250, F-350 Only)
40 To Glove Box Lamp
41 To Heater Mode Switch
42 To A/C Illumination
43 To A/C Blower Switch
44 To Power Point
45 To Radio
46 18B849 Premium Sound Amplifier
47 14B166 Shift on the Fly Switch
48 To 14A262 Electric Defrost (Bronco Only)
49 14401 Wiring Assembly
50 To Cluster (Plug A)
51 To PSOM
52 To Cluster (Plug B)
53 14B155 Cap
54 04320 Instrument Panel
55 9A050 Dual Fuel Tank Switch (F-Series Only)
56 14529 Rear Window Control Switch (Bronco Only)
57 Demister Hose
58 To Glove Box Lamp

-- In diagram 24630a below
Item Part Number Description
1 N605771 Bolt
2 � To CMS
3 14K067 Wiring Assembly
4 15525 Wiring Assembly
5 � Locator, Position in Hole Provided
6 � To Neutral Start Switch
7 14A666 Cover
8 14405 Wiring Assembly
9 9F472 Heated Oxygen Sensor Assembly
10 14A004 Bracket
11 N610962-S55 Bolt
A � Tighten to 2.7-3.2 Nm (24-28 Lb-In)
------

Also, we went through a lot of the DTC testing in your prev posts; did you do all?

and for the tests that require the breakout box, go to the EEC pin instead

Attachments

#23 ·
Ok, i have the 96 book not 93, but i think it might be the same.

For the TFT sensor, 638 is short to ground.
Pin 42 is the Trans fluid temp sensor. Pin 46 is the Signal Return, aka ground. Unplug the wiring harness at the transmission, and put your volt meter across the two pins. Turn the key to the run position, and you should see a range of 4.75-5.25 volts. If you do not, you have a bad connection between ths connector and your PCM. This will require ohming the wires from the connector to the PCM. If you have proper voltage, it would imply that the sensor is bad, which means youd need a solenoid pack. There are tests to confirm this though. Seeing as you have installed multiple solenoid packs, my money is on the wiring to/from the PCM.

624, EPC error is a bit harder to diagnose. A short to ground will raise up the trans line pressure to maximum, so it should shift crazy hard, and the OD light should blink. An open circuit will do the opposite (mushy shifts), but it will also cause defueling & mis-firing.

There are tons of tests for both of these error codes, but most require a breakout box. Of note is that both of these codes can be caused by a faulty PCM, so if you know anyone with a similar truck, id try swapping with them.

One other thing. A failing alternator can cause all sorts of crazy transmission issues so if its old, you might try replacing it, or trading with a buddy to see if anything changes. Ask stangmata about that one, his tested good but it still caused him all sorts of trans problems.

#25 ·
yo,
Also,
Any fuses blown?

Short Circuits, Common Locations TSB 95-02-11 on 94-95 Bronco & Trucks; See O. Fuse 13 Blown, Stop & Hazard Lamps, Stop Sensor for Anti-Lock Brakes (ABS) Speed Control & PCM; wire harness may be pinched/shorted on steering column support behind the dash where the 14401 wire assy may come in contact w/a sharp edge on dash panel wall, I had same short here too & caused E4OD's TCIL (OD switch-LED) to blink like a friggin pia; wires pinched @ brake/tail lights, my 96's stop/turn/tail lights wires were almost cut in half on passenger side against 1/4 panel (inner); wires pinched @ high mount brake light & @ driver's left hand seat belt anchor bolt @ base of B Pillar. See the location diagram

92 fuse block diagram by Steve

#29 ·
Im not sure, book doesnt specify. Must be 12. Ok, heres the test.

Unhook transmission. Hook + (pos) on volt meter to the VPWR (should be pins 37, 57) Hook - (neg) on volt meter to solenoid circuit of transmission vehicle harness. While watching the voltage, depress & release the throttle pedal. There should be a voltage change of at least 0.5v.
If there is no change, you have an open circuit between the PCM & transmission.
If there is a change, then you need to remove the plug in the test port on the d.side of the trans and hook up a pressure gauge. The book calls for a transmission testing device that is supposed to activate & deactive solenoids, which you would use in conjunction with the pressure gauge to see if the line pressure goes up & down like its supposed to (the engine must be runnign for this test). If it does, then it says to replace the PCM. If it does not change, you begin testing the solenoids individually. Seeing as you have replaced several solenoid packs already, my money is on a bad PCM.

You might be able to simulate that test though, if you have a long enough hose on the gauge to reach up into the cab, and go for a test drive.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.