Leather steering wheel restoration.... - Ford Bronco Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 10 (permalink) Old 03-04-2012, 10:55 PM Thread Starter

Leather steering wheel restoration....

I just found this ... www.american-stitches.com They restore leather wheels and other parts.....Has anyone used them to restore your leather wheel? I plan on calling tomorrow to arrange sending mine out.....

Jake1250
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 (permalink) Old 03-04-2012, 11:43 PM
Fullsize Member

Bronco Info: Brick Nose on 15x10s/32s with leveling coils
http://www.craftcustoms.com/images/M...tning_1995.JPG

Looks like a good job to me. I wish I knew how they did it so I can do my own vehicles.
post #3 of 10 (permalink) Old 03-05-2012, 12:01 AM

Bronco Info: 1995 XLT 5.8L 6" lift 35's
I'd be interested to know how they do and what kinda cash it'll cost. My wheel is pretty rough and I wouldn't mind getting it re-done.

My 95 XLT BRONCO
1995 XLT 5.8L 6" Sus. 3" Body on 35's
Sold: 1990 Eddie 5.0L 3" Body on 32's

post #4 of 10 (permalink) Old 03-05-2012, 07:16 AM Thread Starter

I will speak to them today and report back with pricing and turn around time....There site says about a week on wheels.....I plan on having it done to stock leather....
post #5 of 10 (permalink) Old 03-05-2012, 11:30 AM

Bronco Info: 96 eb e4od 351 4.10 eaton elocker rear ls frnt, k&n drop in Punisher valve body
Im interested as well. Mine was trashed when i got my bko and has always had a slip cover on it. I would love to be able to take it off and have just the wheel.
post #6 of 10 (permalink) Old 03-05-2012, 11:59 AM

Bronco Info: 96 Bronco XL 5.0 E4OD, Man Xfer/Hubs
Garage
yo,
fyi
Re-Wrap in a 95; "...cut the leather off my steering wheel a couple years ago and put on a Wheelskins cover: got the euro tone because it was the closest to the original look with the seams on the top and bottom halves. I ordered the black/black color scheme. I don't remember exactly what size I got but it's easy enough to measure..."
Source: by 95F1504x4EB at FSB http://www.fullsizebronco.com/forum/7-1980-96-bronco-tech/179009-xlt-leather-steering-wheel-re-wrap.html

just redid my 96 EB with Wheelskins. Depending on how bad shape the current wheel is, you might repair the current cover a bit and then cover over it. I went over mine to make a nice thick wheel. These list for about $50 bucks, but you can find them around the web for about half that. I bought mine through http://www.dccarcare.com/whlskns.html. The instructions posted on the site there were excellent, much better than what came in the package. My finished wheel didn't turn out near as good as the website photos, I couldn't get the seems near as tight as the pictures, but I'm not disappointed. Still looks and feels much better than before. I used AX, and as mentioned above the seams weren't tight - suggest if you tear off current cover go with AX, otherwise if you go over it, use AXX. by GA_Longhorn
in same thread as above

See my partially recovered Bronco web site ...Will need to clean up dead links & add many more new links some day. Thanks to Mr. Schwim!
THANKS to ALL WHO SERVE!
post #7 of 10 (permalink) Old 03-05-2012, 08:20 PM Thread Starter

OK everyone....here is the deal...I spoke to a very nice guy at the website i listed and he informed me that if you send them the wheel from your truck, they will remove the old material, clean the wheel, and begin the new refit. They apply a layer of dense foam based on the OEM thickness and match the leather to the OEM or they can customize it with a variety of choice leathers and suedes. They can also convert it to a wood rim and some really crazy painted finishes...Once completed, they will call you to arrange payment and ship the wheel back to you.....Turn around time on a OEM resto is about a week

The cost to re pad and rewrap the factory 1996 black leather wheel to OEM quality is $250.00 plus the return shipping

I also inquired about making the wheel thicker and he told me that he adds an additional 1/8 thickness to the wheel and wraps it to OEM spec for an additional $50.00

He assured me that the quality of there work is impeccable and that the additional thickness really looks great......My wheel is coming off this weekend!!! I hope this helps
Jake1250
post #8 of 10 (permalink) Old 03-05-2012, 09:09 PM
Fullsize Member

Bronco Info: Brick Nose on 15x10s/32s with leveling coils
I'm about 20 mins from them. Let me know I'll drop by and go see your steering wheel. haha That or I'll see if I can watch them redo the leather.
post #9 of 10 (permalink) Old 05-16-2012, 05:00 PM

Bronco Info: 1994 Eddie Bauer
Anyone use this guy yet? i called and got the same quote. I think I'm going to send him a piece of my my woodgrain dash trim and have him match it for the steering wheel. Something similar to the navigator is what I'm thinking.
post #10 of 10 (permalink) Old 10-17-2012, 03:00 PM

Bronco Info: 95 FSB + 71 EB
Jake1250 ...any updates ??? how did you wheel turn out ??

Ford Bronco Forum > Bronco Discussions > Noobie Bronco Tech Questions. Flame free zone!

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Bronco Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself. DO NOT USE Gmail.com accounts. If you only have a Gmail.com email please contact the administrator here

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode