Bronco Forum - Full Size Ford Bronco Forum banner

where can i find softer springs for my 96 Bronco?

14K views 53 replies 7 participants last post by  rustycharms 
#1 ·
Hey everyone. I need to replace my ball joints, shocks and coil springs on my 96 Bronco. It has a quad shock suspension up front ands runs a 351. I already have a set of monroe sensa-trac shocks ready to go on.

This bronco has always had a very rough ride. The top coil on both springs are busted off. It has 110k miles and i have put the last 85,000 on it myself over the last 10 years. I want to find a stock height spring with a smoother ride. I dont want to go too expensive, and the stock springs at Jeffs bronco graveyard or Rockauto run about $80. I will need to do some research on them to find out the spring rates but i'm guessing they would be the same as stock.

Anybody know of any similarly priced springs that are softer? Your thoughts?

#52 ·
Alvin, no problem, all's good.

Bronc36, you are confusing the meaning of leveling springs. I'm confident they are designed like your previous springs to level with the addition of extra load such as a plow or heavy winch.

I don't know about 33's with stock springs (31's will work).

What you seek (unless my factory ordered bronco was unique in that it arrived at the dealer with a pretty level stance) is a 'universal' spring code (cross-manufacturer) #820.
I'll throw a plug for the NPD F-5310-7 (Elgin MC-820) just because both were helpful when looking into this for you (we spoke to the same tech at Elgin).

Any (universal code #) 820 spring should level you up to original if that's what you want. And the variable rate will soften the ride. You'll need to use a 'persuader bar' when installing the springs, so the longer the spring, the more persuasion req'd.

Check around on lift recommendations for 33's if that what you'll be using. And, I forgot the spring seat in the last post. Unless it really bad, just clean it up and re-use it.

Good Luck!

#53 ·
Thanks Rustycharms. I'll look into that NPD spring a little closer.

I have called about every major spring manufacturer, and none stock a 2" leveling spring for a Bronco in a variable rate spring. But following info from one of them i contacted Coil Spring Specialties and found that they would custom make a spring for me to my specs. Might be the way to go if the end product would be a quality spring that would last. The only problem is it blows my budget out of the water at $248.

Now that i decided to wait on my purchase because of the holidays, at least i will have time to think about it.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.