Bronco Forum - Full Size Ford Bronco Forum banner

Upper ball joint will not seat in Dana 60

4K views 5 replies 4 participants last post by  cstrike 
#1 ·
Hey guys,

I just installed new Moog ball joints into my Dana 60 and the upper joint won't seat in the camber bushing. I lifted up on the knuckle with a floor jack and the lower joint settled right in as it should. The upper joint stuck well enough for me to tighten down the castle nut so I thought I was home free. But as I turn the knuckle by hand the joint is now rotating inside the castle nut. I am sure the pin would prevent this but obviously the cotter pin was never intended to be put in sheer by a rotating joint.

Any thoughts on what else I can do? I can confirm the joints are fully seated in the knuckle. Not only is it obvious to see but I had a more experienced buddy confirm.

I just went out and bought new camber bushings but only to have them 'in case'. I don't want to throw parts at a problem that I haven't figured out.

Thanks!

#4 ·
When I did mine, I put anti-sieze on it to make the next repair easier. BIG mistake!!! I had to take it all apart again, clean it off and re-install.

You'll have to look up the proceedure, but I recall that there were specific instructions regarding the sequence of installation. Install one, torque to a lesser amount, then install the other and really torque it up, then finish torquing the first.

#6 ·
Hey guys, thanks for the replies. I got it done. Like you BroncoJoe I tend to use anti-seize in too many places and that didn't help but that wasn't my main issue. I replaced the camber bushing and everything drew right together.

My driver side had what I would call a 'normal' looking SPC brand bushing but the passenger side was a different bushing like I had never seen before. I replaced it with a SPC that matched the driver side and I feel like that was the difference. I sourced this axle from a trail only rock crawler and the ball joints were beat. I wouldn't be surprised if the PO didn't care if the proper bushings were in there since he never went more than 7 MPH.

Thanks again!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.