Gas mileage - 351 - Ford Bronco Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 19 (permalink) Old 11-08-2004, 10:21 AM Thread Starter
Forward Some Money

Bronco Info: '89 Bronco, 5.8, MAF, Summit shorties, Bassani SS, AOD, Tru-trac posi, Stocker
Gas mileage - 351

This is probably pretty common complaint but I couldnt find anything applicable in the search.

I've got an uncut '89 XLT with 351, C4. Stock gears and tires.
I put a set of Summit headers on it and the mileage went up a bit (12-13 mpg). It had gradually gone down to 11-2.
I recently installed an FIPK and expected better mileage. Now it's down to 9-11 with same driving style. It seems to idle and run smooth. I recently replaced the plugs, wires, cap /rotor.

I'm just wondering if something could be up with the brain or the EFI causing it to give worse mileage. I know these things love gas anyway, but this is crazy. I'm not much on EFI so talk to me like a junior.

EDIT: ooops - your right - C6 - didnt engage brain. Thanks!

J. R.

Last edited by j. r. Nice; 11-08-2004 at 11:29 AM. Reason: Wrong trans
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 19 (permalink) Old 11-08-2004, 10:30 AM
Never Done

well curious did you swap the C4 in there cuz that tranny wasnt offered. a C6 was though.

now to your question. once you have done these mods you might replace your O2 sensor then disconnect the battery and let the ecu reset itself . then reconnect and drive in various conditions for 30 -45 mins. this will help the ecu relearn the changes that have been made. Might also get the codes pulled before you reset the ecu to see what it thinks is going on.

late

For Sale - 94 XLT 357/E4OD Trans-go stage II
6" Stage II ProComp,35" BFG/AT 4.88 f (aussie) / r (open) / Custom Sliders, Custom bumper Warn HS9500, Edelbrock truck upper/lower,JBA headers,Custom Y pipe hi flow cat & Full 3"
post #3 of 19 (permalink) Old 11-08-2004, 10:31 AM
Charlie doesn't surf!!

Bronco Info: 1992 xlt, 351EFI, .040, E4OD, D44 SAS w/Trutrac,Detroit locked 8.8, MAF conv, Tweeced
You have a c-4 in an '89?? Are you sure it's not a c-6?? Either way, the lack of OD is hurting your MPG's. I don't get much better than 10 out of my '92 with a 302 EFI. Like you stated, they're heavy rigs and just like gas. What type of RPM's are you turning while you're cruising?
post #4 of 19 (permalink) Old 11-08-2004, 11:31 AM Thread Starter
Forward Some Money

Bronco Info: '89 Bronco, 5.8, MAF, Summit shorties, Bassani SS, AOD, Tru-trac posi, Stocker
Quote:
Originally Posted by jermil01
You have a c-4 in an '89?? Are you sure it's not a c-6?? Either way, the lack of OD is hurting your MPG's. I don't get much better than 10 out of my '92 with a 302 EFI. Like you stated, they're heavy rigs and just like gas. What type of RPM's are you turning while you're cruising?
Yes, C6, (hadda brain fart!). If I rmember correctly 70 is about 2600 or 2800?
Doesnt seem to be laboring. I actually dont do much freeway with it and it doesnt seem to matter.
post #5 of 19 (permalink) Old 11-08-2004, 11:34 AM Thread Starter
Forward Some Money

Quote:
Originally Posted by kemicalburns
well curious did you swap the C4 in there cuz that tranny wasnt offered. a C6 was though.

now to your question. once you have done these mods you might replace your O2 sensor then disconnect the battery and let the ecu reset itself . then reconnect and drive in various conditions for 30 -45 mins. this will help the ecu relearn the changes that have been made. Might also get the codes pulled before you reset the ecu to see what it thinks is going on.

late
Youre right, thanks for catching that. Would the o2 sensor be a stock one?
Where is he o2 on this. I thought it was on the exhaust but I havenet looked.
Thanks, I'll try that. Anything has got to be better than this!!

J. R.
post #6 of 19 (permalink) Old 11-08-2004, 11:35 AM
The Anti Yam!

Bronco Info: 86 Bronco XLT 357w/AOD
Do a tune up.

Check for codes, here is how.
http://fordfuelinjection.com/index.php?p=13

86 Bronco - 357W/AOD - 6" suspension lift, 3" body lift - 38" TSL Radials - 456:1 Gears
Sequential Multiport Mass-Air Fuel Injection from a 93 Mustang GT

My SuperMotors Site - My Engine

The Greatest Thread on FSB
post #7 of 19 (permalink) Old 11-08-2004, 08:58 PM Thread Starter
Forward Some Money

Thanks - I'll give that a try......
post #8 of 19 (permalink) Old 07-03-2005, 03:20 PM Thread Starter
Forward Some Money

Well 7 months later and still having crappy mileage. Since the original post I have done all the suggested......here's a recap;

Summit shorty headers
K&N FIPK kit
Tune up w/ new wires/plugs/cap/rotor
New O2 sensor
Checked/fixed/cleared the ECC codes
new fuel pump
replaced damaged upper intake (plenum) gasket - helped a little
new fuel pressure regulator (today -results unchecked yet

It idles smoothly and doesnt seem to starve for gas, so I have eliminated fuel flow issues like a clogged filter or dirty injectors.

any other ideas or suggestions......I am not opposed to taking it to the dealership to "put it on a machine" if I thought it would net me more than what I already have.

FYI ...I checked the upper intake at the suggestion of a friend who has a similar problem and the FORD dealership couldnt find it.
post #9 of 19 (permalink) Old 07-03-2005, 03:38 PM
Just another Fat Guy

Bronco Info: Truck-less right now =(
Be happy with your gas miliage. No body buys a FSB for the high gas miliage! Im lucky if I get 8-10pmg on average and I have a 90 with a 351 and E4OD tranny.....

Could always try one of those tornados! Ive heard those work wonders. lol Either that or just park it and dont drive it. Get a honda or diesel jetta (wifes new car?) 45+ mpg cant beat that...

Getting another FSB soon -- currently rocking a beetle
post #10 of 19 (permalink) Old 07-03-2005, 05:31 PM
Wrenching for a Livin'

Bronco Info: '85 Ford Bronco XLT.
Is your catalytic converter plugged up and is your EGR system operating properly. Both of those can cause a loos in MPG when messed up. You should be able to get about 12mpg out of it. I can with my Carb 351

My SuperFord
'85 Bronco......
Welded 14 bolt, HPKingpin D60 w/ lockright, ZF5, NP205, 4.88 gears, SMPFI 393 w/ EDIS(gufx strat), Chevy 52s Front, Inboarded Chevy 63s Rear, DOM heim steering, DOM cage, Saginaw pump, 3/8" fuel system, 200amp 3G Alternator....

ASE Master Automotive Technician
ASE Master Medium/Heavy Truck Technician
post #11 of 19 (permalink) Old 07-04-2005, 12:04 PM

Bronco Info: 1996 Bronco Eddie Bauer, 5.0L 302, Warn manual hubs, stock so far...
I'm getting about 14 with my STOCK 1996 302. I just installed the K&N drop-in style filter, I'm wondering what results I'll be getting! Strangely, my mileage has been slowly going up, and I'm not quite sure why. About a tenth of a MPG at every fillup. No complaints on that though! I just thought I'd share my nice mileage

Tony

96 Eddie Bauer, 5.0L, E4OD, Warn Manuals, Cobra CB w/ PA, In-Bumper Fog Lights, Pioneer 9800BT head unit, most stuff works!! Now just need to start custom fabbing my own goodies!

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikE2 View Post
After I clean out your sandy vagina I'd like to perform sodomy on you and then pull out and shoot a big load on your face.
Quote:
Originally Posted by RickyB View Post
Go wash up, have a beer, bang your girlfriend and then eat a nice steak.
Words to live by!!!
post #12 of 19 (permalink) Old 07-04-2005, 12:28 PM
Hmmm....

Bronco Info: 96 Eddie Bauer, 3" BL, 33's, Exhaust, Grille Guard, and a couple of lights
yeah, i get about 11-13 on my 96 w/ 351/E4OD, but i also have 33's w/ stock gears, so i know that throws of the calculations a little, meaning i have really gone further than what i calculate, anyone know a way to know for sure?

post #13 of 19 (permalink) Old 07-04-2005, 03:55 PM

Bronco Info: 1996 Bronco Eddie Bauer, 5.0L 302, Warn manual hubs, stock so far...
There's a way to reset the speedometer constant on the newer trucks like yours, MuddyBronco13. I just don't know how offhand, try searching for "speedo constant" or something. I'd look for you, but i'm too lazy .

Tony

96 Eddie Bauer, 5.0L, E4OD, Warn Manuals, Cobra CB w/ PA, In-Bumper Fog Lights, Pioneer 9800BT head unit, most stuff works!! Now just need to start custom fabbing my own goodies!

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikE2 View Post
After I clean out your sandy vagina I'd like to perform sodomy on you and then pull out and shoot a big load on your face.
Quote:
Originally Posted by RickyB View Post
Go wash up, have a beer, bang your girlfriend and then eat a nice steak.
Words to live by!!!
post #14 of 19 (permalink) Old 07-04-2005, 05:30 PM

Bronco Info: 1989 302, AOD, D44, 8.8, 31's
well, if you're looking for better mileage you could get a focus or maybe one of those escape hybrids. otherwise there just isn't much sense in complainin' about it

"The beauty of the second amendment is that it will not be needed until they try to take it." -- Thomas Jefferson

"A Bill of Rights is what the people are entitled to against every government, and what no just government should refuse, or rest on inference." -- Thomas Jefferson
post #15 of 19 (permalink) Old 07-04-2005, 05:44 PM Thread Starter
Forward Some Money

Quote:
Originally Posted by montanaman81
well, if you're looking for better mileage you could get a focus or maybe one of those escape hybrids. otherwise there just isn't much sense in complainin' about it
well, I didnt buy it for the mileage, I pretty much knew it wouldnt be good. They are heavy and have the aerodynamics of a crackerbox
but I'd do it all over again.

But I know it got decent mileage (12) at one point, and much like my youth, I'd like to figure out where it went.

Probably just a tired 351. Compression readings on the first (left) bank are about 135......which seems a little low.
post #16 of 19 (permalink) Old 07-05-2005, 09:59 AM
Never Done

135 isnt bad
what size tires are you running again?

For Sale - 94 XLT 357/E4OD Trans-go stage II
6" Stage II ProComp,35" BFG/AT 4.88 f (aussie) / r (open) / Custom Sliders, Custom bumper Warn HS9500, Edelbrock truck upper/lower,JBA headers,Custom Y pipe hi flow cat & Full 3"
post #17 of 19 (permalink) Old 07-05-2005, 12:24 PM Thread Starter
Forward Some Money

Quote:
Originally Posted by kemicalburns
135 isnt bad
what size tires are you running again?
after doing both sides, they range about 132 - 142. And I think I would allow a few points for possible leakage of the compression gauge fittings (quick disconnects). So I think they're at least consistent. Not sure what kind of readings to expect. I thought I saw someone posted in the 160 range.

tires are std. 31 x 10.5 x 15 Michellins.

about the only thing left I can think of is cats, but it idles/runs well enough that I dont think theyre clogged. It needs a new exhaust so I may end up replacing them anyway.

I bought this truck in 2000 with 124k on it. Cosmetically, it looked like Ma & Pa Kettle owned it. I bought it from a wholesaler who knew nothing about it. But I do know it got better mileage.
post #18 of 19 (permalink) Old 07-05-2005, 12:29 PM Thread Starter
Forward Some Money

Quote:
Originally Posted by magnumpi
Is your catalytic converter plugged up and is your EGR system operating properly. Both of those can cause a loos in MPG when messed up. You should be able to get about 12mpg out of it. I can with my Carb 351
Dont think it (EGR) is, checked all the lines and there are no codes. I replaced the EGR and sensor about 2-3 years ago.

The cats I cant swear to. It runs good and doesnt seem to be doing anything unusual.
post #19 of 19 (permalink) Old 11-13-2005, 12:48 AM Thread Starter
Forward Some Money

New and highly improved

Well at long last......I added a Bassani exhaust from the headers back. I had also installed an FIPK earlier. Didnt seem to help much on in-town driving but on the road I got 15 mpg! I am happy with that and will keep it for my interstate cruiser.

Ford Bronco Forum > Bronco Discussions > Noobie Bronco Tech Questions. Flame free zone!

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Bronco Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself. DO NOT USE Gmail.com accounts. If you only have a Gmail.com email please contact the administrator here

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode