Redoing seat foam and springs. - Ford Bronco Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old 08-28-2016, 12:28 PM Thread Starter

Bronco Info: 1990 Eddie Bauer 6" Rough Country Lift. 5.0. Tan/Red w/ Tan interior. 33" tires. AOD tranny.
Redoing seat foam and springs.

My driver seat frame was broken, the foam was crushed, and the springs were ripped through the metal of the frame. I am going to get new seats eventually and build a raised center console for my touch screen system but I figured I could improve the seat. I've always wanted to do this stuff and I was always scared to do it on my F150 since it was relatively new and the seat wasn't that bad. The bronco on the other hand is an abused old battle horse. This started out with just switching on the reclining mechanism on the side since it was stripped and escalated quickly.

I went ahead and ripped it out. I had no idea what I would find under it. The seat cover was pretty dirty but not really ripped or worn through.

Material:

Foam 2'x2'x2" - Home Depot or Walmart - $6-7
Burlap 1 yd - $3 Walmart
Super 77 Glue Spray - This stuff was amazing. $7 Walmart
Springs like originals - Lowes - $2 for 2
Flat metal Metal bar - Lowes $3
Round metal - Lowes - $3
Hog ring pliers w/ rings - $10 - ebay
Electric knife (turkey kind) - free but they are $10 at Walmart.
Scissors
Welder if you are adding bars.
Drills to add springs.

So, first I removed the seat. After I saw how jacked up it was I figured there would be no fixing it so I decided to make it better at least. I even considered just putting a board under the seat in the truck and spraying spray foam in there to lift it up and having a hard seat. Glad I didn't.

I went ahead and removed the bottom cover and cut the hog rings off. The seat was mangled. Ripped all all over and coming apart. I started gluing the foam together in a few placed. The super 77 glue is awesome. Spray it on and wait a minute or two and stick it together. After I fixed all the spots on the old foam, I went ahead and put some repair pieces where there was big gaping holes. I also cut wedges to glue to the side where it was crushed down. I then wrapped the entire thing in 1" high foam. I couldn't find 1" and 2" was too high. I started to put 2" on it and then realized it was too tall. I used the electric turkey knife to carve it down to 1" and used those pieces to cover the sides and the other parts. I sprayed both sides of the foam while doing all this. The bottom was so bad that I couldn't get the foam right in some places. I ended up gluing burlap across the entire bottom of the foam to give it strength. It worked great too as far as I could tell.

I was going to wash the cover but I ended up not doing so because there is foam on the back of the cover. I thought it might mess it up worse than it was. There was 11 hog rings that held the seat cover to the foam (I think). I took pictures but after putting it back on I realize it was obvious where they went and it wouldn't matter anyway. It was easy to reinstall but I had to make the holes in the fabric bigger because my hog ring pliers sucked. I think some with smaller diameter end that held the ring better would have been easier to use. They worked good enough though. If I am going to do this again I'll probably continue using the same ones because they were effective even if they weren't great. If I was going to do a lot of seats then I would buy some with longer handles and better design. These weren't spring loaded but they were tight so the hog rings didn't fall out.

For the springs that pulled out, I decided to just move them down and drill new holes. I bought 4 springs and I added them in between the existing springs. I'm a big guy(300+) and I don't want it sagging. I also added the flat bar on the front and back. The existing big wiring had broken from the frame. I took an old wire coat hanger and added it beside it and bent it around the frame twice. I zip tied it to the old wire. I knew that wasn't good enough. This is where the flat bar came from. I added it at the front and the back. I welded it in. I then cut the rod into two pieces to weld across the two flat bars. I figure the seat might be a little stiff but it won't be sagging nearly like it would. I'd like to point out that I didn't do this to the seat. I'm guessing someone was driving it hard at some point and that is what this is. The rail was due to it being on a 6" lift and them pulling the seat to get up in it. Overall, it held up pretty good for being abused and 30 years old. I have pictures of most steps and I will be adding them as soon as I install the seat back in the truck as well as a final note about how it feels.

1990 Eddie Bauer Bronco 4x4. 302 with AOD. Long tube headers, new exhaust, 6" Rough Country Lift, 33" BF all terrain tires, 8.8 rear end (I think), and Dana 44 front axle.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old 08-29-2016, 05:16 AM Thread Starter

Bronco Info: 1990 Eddie Bauer 6" Rough Country Lift. 5.0. Tan/Red w/ Tan interior. 33" tires. AOD tranny.

This is how the base looked when I started.

After gluing all the cracks and gouges, I glued burlap to the bottom.

The zip ties are just there to hold things in place. They won't have pressure on them. The bar in the front and back was welded into place and two small rods were welded across.

1990 Eddie Bauer Bronco 4x4. 302 with AOD. Long tube headers, new exhaust, 6" Rough Country Lift, 33" BF all terrain tires, 8.8 rear end (I think), and Dana 44 front axle.
post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old 08-29-2016, 05:22 AM Thread Starter

I then wrapped the entire thing in 1" foam. I don't have a picture of it. The foam doesn't have to be cut perfect, it won't show ragged or ugly cuts once you put the cover back on. The seat feels great and is very comfortable. It is a little too high now though to be honest. I kind of liked sitting lower. I'll get used to it though. I wouldn't hesitate to buy seats I liked that needed covers and redo them now. I wish I could find seat foam and seat covers for the bronco online.

post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old 08-29-2016, 09:04 PM

Garage
Nice work!!!! When I bought mine the frame was broken so I welded it up and then went to the junkyard for something else and found a mint passenger seat. Took the bottom foam out and paid 10 dollars for it and whatever else I went for. The passenger seat bottom foam fit nicely, my butt said it was the best 10$ spent on the BKO

JasonI can't fit all my cars on 5 lines!!!! Main ones
1995 Bronco XL 5.8 E40D
1993 Explorer sport 4.0 OHV MDO5-R1
2002 Dodge Ram 1500 12v Cummins 422whp 950ftlbs
2013 Toyota Rav 4 Wifey's rig
post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old 08-30-2016, 05:16 PM Thread Starter

Thanks! I made the cushion too tall in the center. I could take the cover back off and carve it down to fix it but honestly, it will work itself out. I can slide off the side of the seat and it is perfectly comfortable. The firmest sides of any seat I've ever had including new cars. I definitely added a new skill and will never hesitate to fix a seat in the future. This was one of the worst seats I've ever seen and it came out great. I was basically sitting on the ground in the middle with my cheeks spread open by the frame of the seat.

These seats will do me fine til I build a center console and get some nice bucket seats somewhere cheap. This fix moved this way down the list of priorities.

post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old 08-31-2016, 01:38 AM
Fullsize Member

Bronco Info: 86 XLT w/ 5.0 & WR AOD, factory 4.10's, 31x10.5
Nice work, thanks for sharing
post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old 08-31-2016, 06:55 AM Thread Starter

It isn't a great write up. I'm not organized enough to do really good ones but sometimes it helps to have someone who isn't great at something showing how easy it is. I had absolutely no upholstery experience and I was scared of taking the cover off the seats. I now realize I could recover a set of car seats in a couple hours including fixing crushed down foam and come out with professional results. The hog rings were the hardest thing and with the worst tool possible I did it in 5 minutes. I had never even looked under a seat cover before. If there were bronco seat covers available for a reasonable price - I'd have them in a minute. As it is, I can get a nice seat set that might need a drivers seat bottom repaired for cheap and make it like new. This is one of the easiest skills I've ever learned. You can add or take away foam at will in seconds, it doesn't have to be even near perfect to look/feel perfect. I did no measurements, I did no calculating. I just cut stuff.

My passenger seat is in good shape but the edge is crushed down. I'll try to do a real write up when I do that one.

Ford Bronco Forum > Bronco Discussions > Noobie Bronco Tech Questions. Flame free zone!

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Bronco Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself. DO NOT USE Gmail.com accounts. If you only have a Gmail.com email please contact the administrator here

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode