Attaching Pop Up Camper - Ford Bronco Forum
 3Likes
  • 1 Post By schwim
  • 1 Post By Fitzy
  • 1 Post By schwim

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 11 (permalink) Old 11-10-2016, 07:49 PM Thread Starter

Attaching Pop Up Camper

I'm in the final stages of purchasing a Bronco and would like to attach a pop up camper to the back. My wife and I plan to travel the country for a few months with it. I would like to make it one unit from the cab to the pop up in back. I see them online and am wondering is there is some sort of kit to seal it to the cab or if most of these are just fabricated by the owners to work. Thanks for any info. I've had trouble locating anything on the matter

-Cole
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 (permalink) Old 11-10-2016, 09:21 PM
Resident Nice Guy

Bronco Info: 1979 Ranger XLT, 351m, 4 speed
Garage
Hey there Cole!

I have no personal experience with the matter but have seen a couple over the top awesome setups on this forum. Check out this thread for some pics, links and ideas.
coosterhius likes this.

This is my signature. There are many like it, but this one is mine.
My signature is my best friend. It is my life. I must master it as I must master my life.

Schwim! A social site with an identity crisis.
post #3 of 11 (permalink) Old 11-10-2016, 09:38 PM
Fullsize Member

Bronco Info: 1995 XLT 351W, 2.5 R/C Lift,4.10's, Rancho Extended R/As, 33's, Punisher Valve Body
You are gunna have a really tough time sealing up the cab to the camper if you are thinking about going with a standard in bed camper. Have you considered a nice tent trailer? Anyway here is a link to a company that makes custom campers, they make them for Broncos, or used to anyway, maybe they can help you out

Custom Truck Campers built to fit your Vehicles Make & Model

No bum that can't speak poifect English oughta stay in this country...oughta be de-exported the hell outta here!"

-Archie Bunker

bron·co/ˈbräNGkō/
Noun:
A wild or half-tamed horse, esp. of the western US.

post #4 of 11 (permalink) Old 11-10-2016, 11:34 PM
Retiring Soon

Bronco Info: '95 XLT, 5.8/E4OD/MassAir/6" lift/4.56's/35x12.5 BFG AT-KO2
Garage
Interesting influx of interest in the Bronco/Camper setups recently. Welcome to the forum.
Search around, lots to be found over the years here.

"When life throws you a curve... LEAN INTO IT!"

SuperMotors - Since 2002
post #5 of 11 (permalink) Old 11-11-2016, 01:49 PM Thread Starter

Yeah, I have considered other options. My wife and I plan to travel the country and live in it for a few months. Have a small puppy and really like the idea of being able to go from cab to camper without stopping. My Aunt is trying to sell me the 1983 S-1o Bandit 1 camper. She hasnt ran it in 4 years so I am not sure how reliable this is going to be.

Have any of you seen anything like her S-10. I can find absolutely nothing on the internet about this.

Thanks for the info!
post #6 of 11 (permalink) Old 11-11-2016, 01:50 PM Thread Starter

Here the link I put of the car on Pinterest

https://www.pinterest.com/pin/253679391490812849/

Last edited by BikerPepe`; 11-12-2016 at 01:59 PM. Reason: pic added
post #7 of 11 (permalink) Old 11-11-2016, 02:46 PM

Bronco Info: 1996 Eddie Bauer
Garage
I've actually been researching just this for the past couple days because, like you, I think it'd be awesome to overland a Bronco. No companies sell a new camper fitted for the Bronco besides Phoenix Pop-Up, which makes customs (very expensive).

Your second option would be buying a used one and sticking with it or refurbishing it. I have heard a few members saying that you'll find one on craigslist once in a while, but looking through some midwestern craigslists, I haven't found anything. Junk yards are also feasible options; I've seen a few trucks with popup campers (not Broncos though) at yards.

Your third, and probably easiest option for an actual popup, would be building your own. Here are a few resources to help. These European guys that made one for their bronco, towards the bottom of this page there are schematics and building pictures if you want a better look. Here's a few different links to help you. Honestly, this or a homemade teardrop is what I will do in a couple years. It doesn't look hard, just time consuming.

Third option is being a redneck. Put a tent on the back and strap it down. Keep it in the back and potentially double your size. Not the best option but cheap and works.

Good luck! Here's an album of images about popup campers.
coosterhius likes this.

post #8 of 11 (permalink) Old 11-11-2016, 05:29 PM Thread Starter

Thanks! I have pondered doing all three of the mentioned options as well. I was able to find Qty3 K5 Chalet Campers on craigslist. It took me 5 hours of searching and going through every state and area within the state. Dedication, haha.
post #9 of 11 (permalink) Old 11-11-2016, 05:39 PM Thread Starter

Did you see the link I have above of my aunts pop up?
post #10 of 11 (permalink) Old 11-11-2016, 08:47 PM
Retiring Soon

Bronco Info: '95 XLT, 5.8/E4OD/MassAir/6" lift/4.56's/35x12.5 BFG AT-KO2
Garage
I hate being linked off site to social media crap but yea... I saw it. Looked weird as all get out to me. Still... if it's got a solid roof and working applieances and youcan get a good deal from family... rock on with your bad self.

It's entirely possible to get an old, used topper and use it to cut and mate the pop-up to the Bronco but you'd have to be pretty good with fiberglass work to seal it to the aluminum pop-up. Then again... anything worth doing, shouldn't be too easy.

"When life throws you a curve... LEAN INTO IT!"

SuperMotors - Since 2002
post #11 of 11 (permalink) Old 11-12-2016, 09:09 AM
Resident Nice Guy

Bronco Info: 1979 Ranger XLT, 351m, 4 speed
Garage
Can a mod edit his post to include the proper image link? Just copy & paste:

[img]https://s-media-cache-ak0.pinimg.com/564x/11/47/c7/1147c79f293b371869021acda1e515dd.jpg[/img]

BikerPepe` likes this.

This is my signature. There are many like it, but this one is mine.
My signature is my best friend. It is my life. I must master it as I must master my life.

Schwim! A social site with an identity crisis.

Ford Bronco Forum > Bronco Discussions > Noobie Bronco Tech Questions. Flame free zone!

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Bronco Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself. DO NOT USE Gmail.com accounts. If you only have a Gmail.com email please contact the administrator here

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode