84 Bronco Xlt 302 starter issue - Ford Bronco Forum
 1Likes
  • 1 Post By Spktyr

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old 01-07-2017, 09:25 PM Thread Starter

84 Bronco Xlt 302 starter issue

Ok, so I have a 1984 Bronco XLT 302 automatic that, about 2 months ago, started giving me problems with the starter after I replaced it. I bought the best starter they had at Autozone (which might be my first problem) and put it on. Started fine for a couple of weeks then I tried starting it one day and it just spun and didn't turn the flywheel. So I returned it thinking I got a bad starter, and the same thing happened again. Then I read there was a difference in auto and manual starters, returned it and made sure I got the one for automatic. Alas same thing keeps happening. Strange thing is, if I loosen the bolts out, jiggle the starter around,then bolt it back down, it will start a few times then just spin and not engage the flywheel. I tried this today and as I was starting it the bracket on the starter broke so I think I'm going for a better starter off of Auto Parts Warehouse. Could it be a poor quality starter from Autozone? Any ideas? Thanks guys!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old 01-07-2017, 10:26 PM

Bronco Info: 1989 Bronco 5.0 AOD w/ 3G alt, more to come
Could be a bad starter solenoid on the fender or bad cables too.
johnnyk8 likes this.
post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old 01-07-2017, 10:35 PM

Bronco Info: 1984 Rebuilt 5.0 Free Wheeling Package
Garage
I had a similar situation the other day. Tapped the fender solenoid a couple times...Fired right up.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk

1984 Full Size Ford Bronco w rebuit 302 and Auto w/OD
Lotsa Rust - Lotsa Noise - Lotsa fabricating
Project for my son and me
Here is the blog of our progress
Project Alpha Bronco

post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old 01-10-2017, 11:50 PM Thread Starter

I've replaced the solenoid recently so I'm thinking it's good. And like I said, if I loosen the starter and reattach it, it works, which also makes me think it's not the solenoid. I'm getting in a better starter tomorrow so I'll see if that works. It has a starter mounted solenoid so I'm going to have to figure out how to rewire with the Fender mounted solenoid. Any ideas and how that works? I've only had starters with no solenoid and just the Fender mount.
post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old 01-10-2017, 11:56 PM

Bronco Info: '96 Black 302 XLT - '94 Green 351 E. B. both are E4OD, 3.55 axles, 31 10.50x15
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shann_Staggs03 View Post
I've replaced the solenoid recently so I'm thinking it's good. And like I said, if I loosen the starter and reattach it, it works, which also makes me think it's not the solenoid. I'm getting in a better starter tomorrow so I'll see if that works. It has a starter mounted solenoid so I'm going to have to figure out how to rewire with the Fender mounted solenoid. Any ideas and how that works? I've only had starters with no solenoid and just the Fender mount.
The fender mounted solenoid is grounded through the two bolts that attach it to the fender.
Clean (sand or wire brush) the area where the solenoid touches the fender, and replace the bolts with star washers or some other method to insure that you have a good ground.

"The simplest solution is usually the best solution" - Occam's Razor

"The significant problems we face cannot be solved at the same level of thinking we were at when we created them." - Albert Einstein
post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old 01-11-2017, 12:01 AM Thread Starter

Mikey350 I think the ground is good on the solenoid, it's only when I unattached the starter and reattach it that it works, not the solenoid, there is no starter mounted solenoid if that's what your referring to.
post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old 01-11-2017, 12:33 AM

Bronco Info: '96 Black 302 XLT - '94 Green 351 E. B. both are E4OD, 3.55 axles, 31 10.50x15
Sorry, I misread your post -

"The simplest solution is usually the best solution" - Occam's Razor

"The significant problems we face cannot be solved at the same level of thinking we were at when we created them." - Albert Einstein
post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old 01-13-2017, 12:26 AM Thread Starter

Update:
I bought a PowerMaster starter with more torque and it seems to have fixed the problem. Before, I had changed the starter out every other week thinking something else was wrong and just breaking the starter but now I'm thinking the starters from Autozone are just too "universal" that they don't fit some models properly.

Ford Bronco Forum > Bronco Discussions > Noobie Bronco Tech Questions. Flame free zone!

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Bronco Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself. DO NOT USE Gmail.com accounts. If you only have a Gmail.com email please contact the administrator here

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode