tailgate window safety/latch switch - Ford Bronco Forum
 2Likes
  • 2 Post By jowens1126

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 9 (permalink) Old 01-09-2017, 09:50 PM Thread Starter

Bronco Info: 1989 Bronco XLT V8 5.0L, 6" lift
Unhappy tailgate window safety/latch switch

I've read so many posts/ threads about how this is a common problem with Broncos and it seems like the most common solution is to just bypass it. I've already replaced the entire tailgate and it's components (window, window motor) except for this safety switch. And I still have problems with the tailgate window.

So I have a couple of questions..

1. If I don't want to bypass the switch and just replace it, where do I find a replacement switch? Or is bypassing it my only option? (LMC truck doesn't have this part. Neither does jcwhitney)

2. What the technical name for this part? I keep reading "safety switch", "latch safety switch", I've had a mechanic tell me "tailgate key switch (which I'm pretty sure isn't the same thing). Because I sound like an idiot trying to explain what this part does, to someone who isn't familiar with Broncos.

Just some info: 89 Bronco XLT
problem part: inside tailgate, on the drivers side, looks like wiring from it goes through the brake light which I think is the wiring harness?

Sorry for the long post. I'm getting frustrated with people talking to me like I don't know what I'm talking about.

If any of my info is wrong, someone please correct me. I'm at my wits end with this little part.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 (permalink) Old 01-09-2017, 11:14 PM

Bronco Info: 1987- carb'd 351- C6, stock height
Tailgate key switch, may not be your problem- go to this site 1983 Ford Bronco Tailgate Tech pictures, videos, and sounds | SuperMotors.net, it will tell you everything you need to know about the t-gate. Look for the part about the safety interlock switch- test it. Hope it's that and not the tailgate key...
post #3 of 9 (permalink) Old 01-09-2017, 11:30 PM

Bronco Info: 1996 EB, 351w, basically stock. 1981 custom 351m, long gone.
Garage
Check out rock auto. Com if you're into buying parts online. And we get a 5% forum discount with the code from rock auto part of the forum

it's fun to do bad things

my "build" thread

post #4 of 9 (permalink) Old 01-10-2017, 03:45 AM
Busy Plowing...

Bronco Info: '95 XLT, 5.8/E4OD/MassAir/6" lift/4.56's/35x12.5 BFG AT-KO2 or 33x12.5 GYW Duratrac
Garage
I'm not actually sure which of the 2 features you're talking about.
The rod/lever in the tailgate handle that won't open until the glass is down, or the gate latch that restricts the key switch from raising/lowering the glass.

Not trying to be mean... just need to be certain which one because you seem to be referencing both. [gate latch = key] or [rod/lever = handle]

"When life throws you a curve... LEAN INTO IT!"

SuperMotors - Since 2002
post #5 of 9 (permalink) Old 01-10-2017, 07:13 AM Thread Starter

Thank you for the diagram!!

Sent from my LG-H810 using Tapatalk
post #6 of 9 (permalink) Old 01-10-2017, 08:06 AM
---------------------

Bronco Info: See Signature
That switch by the latch is very simple momentary switch. You maybe able to use another style in its place fairly easily. Such as one for dome lights near the door. All it does is interrupt the power going to the window motor. So to bypass it all you have to do is connect the wires going to it (there are 2) together. You could even do this temporarily while a switch can be found. I maybe able to find the one from my tailgate as I deleted it, if I can find it you can have it.

The Street Queen: '92 Eddie Bauer- C6 Swap, Roller 357W 400hp/400ft-lbs, SCT Tuned, 4" Lift, 4.10's,
Go Fastish Build: '78 Custom- 4" Deaver Lift, Mild 460, Full Cage, 4.10's
Build Thread http://www.fullsizebronco.com/forum/...8-project.html
post #7 of 9 (permalink) Old 01-10-2017, 10:41 AM
Thread Killa

Bronco Info: 1994 Bronco Eddie Bauer edition, 302 MAF, E4OD
Some useful information for you

Tailgate Key Switch (Junk Yard Only AFAIK)

Rear Window Interlock Safety Switch (Junk Yard Only AFAIK) TO bypass: Pull the connector off the white switch and jumper the two contacts to bypass the switch. Remember that you will break the window if it is not fully lowered when opening and closing the tailgate.

Most common reason this switch doesnt work is, the bushings for the Striker have broken and/or fallen off. The striker bushing is needed to hold the switch closed properly so the contact on the switch can be engaged.

Tailgate Handle Release Assembly

Tailgate Handle Interlock Rod - Does not allow you to open the tailgate unless the window is all the way down. This feature can be removed easily.

To Remove the Tailgate Handle Interlock Rod Feature, Remove the Tailgate Handle Release Assembly.

Cut off the Arm at the black lines below, OR Drill out the rivet holding this arm on. Remove the Interlock Rod. Put it back together. Enjoy NOT having to replace the latch because you bent the release lever on the Handle Release Assembly.

1994 EB Bronco, 302 MAF, E4OD, BW1356, Slightly Customized Interior
"Demanding something free on top of a discount is just being a Democrat. - Steve83"

My Build Thread - http://www.fullsizebronco.com/forum/...d.php?t=191067
post #8 of 9 (permalink) Old 01-15-2017, 01:27 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by jowens1126 View Post
Some useful information for you

Tailgate Key Switch (Junk Yard Only AFAIK)

Rear Window Interlock Safety Switch (Junk Yard Only AFAIK) TO bypass: Pull the connector off the white switch and jumper the two contacts to bypass the switch. Remember that you will break the window if it is not fully lowered when opening and closing the tailgate.

Most common reason this switch doesnt work is, the bushings for the Striker have broken and/or fallen off. The striker bushing is needed to hold the switch closed properly so the contact on the switch can be engaged.

Tailgate Handle Release Assembly

Tailgate Handle Interlock Rod - Does not allow you to open the tailgate unless the window is all the way down. This feature can be removed easily.

To Remove the Tailgate Handle Interlock Rod Feature, Remove the Tailgate Handle Release Assembly.

Cut off the Arm at the black lines below, OR Drill out the rivet holding this arm on. Remove the Interlock Rod. Put it back together. Enjoy NOT having to replace the latch because you bent the release lever on the Handle Release Assembly.
Thank you. This helped a lot

Sent from my LG-H810 using Tapatalk
post #9 of 9 (permalink) Old 01-15-2017, 05:39 PM
Forward Some Money

Bronco Info: '89 Bronco, 5.8, MAF, Summit shorties, Bassani SS, AOD, Tru-trac posi, Stocker
IIRC, the safety switch - that only allows the window to operate if the t/g is fully closed - is part of the driver's side latch assembly. It will not show up as a separate part.

If the tailgate isn't adjusted correctly, neither switch will operate the window. I wouldn't bypass that switch as it might result in a broken window. Sometimes if you push in on the drivers side of the t/g, and operate the key switch, it will work.

Click HERE to visit my frame-off NOS restoration thread.

Photobucket Album ....and a crap load of pictures....

Last edited by j. r. Nice; 01-15-2017 at 05:44 PM.

Ford Bronco Forum > Bronco Discussions > Noobie Bronco Tech Questions. Flame free zone!

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Bronco Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself. DO NOT USE Gmail.com accounts. If you only have a Gmail.com email please contact the administrator here

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode