umpteen millionth diesel Bronco question - Ford Bronco Forum
 1Likes
  • 1 Post By Dman94X

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old 02-08-2017, 01:20 PM Thread Starter

Garage
umpteen millionth diesel Bronco question

ok fellas i know theres a million posts on diesel Broncos here but i could not find my specific answer although i am certain its here somewhere lol . . . . so here goes

I have a possible situation falling in my lap that may allow me to do the conversion and wanted to get my pre lim thoughts in order. I am selling off my 60k mile 94 EB Bronco and trading out my 96 F150 to a nice 96 XLT Bronco and also picking up a very nice standard cab 97 F350 4x4 single wheel pickup in the process (big shuffling of the fleet lol long story but this is how sh!t falls in my lap) at any rate i have seriously wanted a 7.3 PS Bronco for some time and looks like the pieces are falling together. Heres the deal both the XLT and the F350 are very nice running driving good looking trucks, my question is what is the better way to approach the conversion?

1) swap axles and drive lines as well as harness/tanks/dash and all that stuff between the two bodies leaving them on their respective frames? Would the Bronco half ton frame accept the f350 running gear and vice versa?

2) my other thought was to shorten the f350 frame and just move the body over from the Bronco then install dash/wiring etc from f350 into the Bronco shell leaving all the f350 running gear un disturbed. I like this idea and to me sounds easier. As a silly side project after the fact i would then put the f350 PU body on the half ton Bronco frame but would cut the bed down making a sort of third gen U14. I own a body shop so all this is easily within reach.

thanks all . . . . and sorry for yet ANOTHER diesel Bronco thread . . . . i tried . . . i really tried to gleen out the info

my girlfriend has been on me to buy a newer truck . . . . had to break it to her I'm not likely ever going to have anything newer then 1996 . . . . . .
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old 02-08-2017, 01:21 PM Thread Starter

Garage
oops crap started in wrong section can the mods move to the 80-96 tech section? thanks

my girlfriend has been on me to buy a newer truck . . . . had to break it to her I'm not likely ever going to have anything newer then 1996 . . . . . .
post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old 02-08-2017, 01:24 PM
on KIK as same

Bronco Info: See Signature
I have not build a powerstroke bronco but to me the decider would be if I was going to stay with the leaf sprung front end or not. If I was, I would move the bronco to the f350 frame, If I was going to do coil overs and long radius arms I would be more inclined to swap the stuff on to the bronco frame as I feel most the front end would change anyways so It would not matter what I started with.

The Street Queen: '92 Eddie Bauer- C6 Swap, Roller 357W 400hp/400ft-lbs, SCT Tuned, 4" Lift, 4.10's,
Go Fastish Build: '78 Custom- 4" Deaver Lift, Mild 460, Full Cage, 4.10's
Build Thread http://www.fullsizebronco.com/forum/...8-project.html

post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old 02-08-2017, 01:32 PM Thread Starter

Garage
i would like to keep leafs/straight axle under the Powerstroke so yes to leafs on Bronco. I also think it would handle the extra weight and power of the diesel better.

not sure whos this is but essentially a copy of this truck . . . . this thing is exactly what i have in mind. Love the way it sits, perfect stance.

post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old 02-08-2017, 02:33 PM

Bronco Info: 1994 XLT and 1996 XL
I am essentially doing your option #1. I put a leaf sprung dana 60 from a 97 F350 on my Bronco frame.

If I were in your shoes though, and the F350 is in good shape, you would probably be better off selling it and using the money to buy a cheap donor F350 and using the rest of the money to refresh the motor and drivetrain while doing the swap.
post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old 02-08-2017, 02:59 PM Thread Starter

Garage
i got the F350 for nothing. I have a boat customer that did a full resto on it about a year ago, i actually painted it. Chassis has been gone through, new pump and a bunch of stuff on the motor as well. This winter he was after a bunch of custom Cigarette stuff i have for his new boat and we worked out a trade, he also just purchased a brand new F350 so did not need this one. This first trade made me think of selling my 96 F150 plow truck as well because i wouldnt need it anymore so while looking through craigslist to get an idea of what they were going for i stumbled across an ad looking for a plow for a 96 Bronco, wanted complete and installed. I reached out to that person and offered to trade my "ready to go" low mileage plow truck for their Bronco and three thousand dollars. So looks like i am ending up with another Bronco as well lol . . . .

I guess my thoughts are i really have nothing in any of this and the F350 is pretty well sorted out, it would be mostly swapping a bunch of parts and very few trips to the bone yard would be necessary. in my mind anyways lol

just wondering what the best parts groups to swap would be . . . .

post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old 02-08-2017, 03:06 PM

Bronco Info: 1994 XLT and 1996 XL
Quote:
Originally Posted by glassdave View Post
i got the F350 for nothing. I have a boat customer that did a full resto on it about a year ago, i actually painted it. Chassis has been gone through, new pump and a bunch of stuff on the motor as well. This winter he was after a bunch of custom Cigarette stuff i have for his new boat and we worked out a trade, he also just purchased a brand new F350 so did not need this one. This first trade made me think of selling my 96 F150 plow truck as well because i wouldnt need it anymore so while looking through craigslist to get an idea of what they were going for i stumbled across an ad looking for a plow for a 95 Bronco, wanted complete and installed. I reached out to that person and offered to trade my "ready to go" low mileage plow truck for their Bronco and three thousand dollars. So looks like i am ending up with another Bronco as well lol . . . .

I guess my thoughts are i really have nothing in any of this and the F350 is pretty well sorted out, it would be mostly swapping a bunch of parts and very few trips to the bone yard would be necessary. in my mind anyways lol

just wondering what the best parts groups to swap would be . . . .
In that case I would just lift the F350 body off and shorten the F350 frame and put the Bronco body on it and call it good. The engine bays are identical, keep the F350 core support.
glassdave likes this.
post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old 02-08-2017, 03:37 PM Thread Starter

Garage
And with whats left over maybe the world first third gen U14 BKO lol

I'm sure everyone knows what they are but one-o-dese
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0351.jpg
Views:	13
Size:	290.4 KB
ID:	95890  

Ford Bronco Forum > Bronco Discussions > Noobie Bronco Tech Questions. Flame free zone!

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Bronco Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself. DO NOT USE Gmail.com accounts. If you only have a Gmail.com email please contact the administrator here

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode