• 1 Post By Scoop
  • 1 Post By MattBeezy
  • 1 Post By jermil01
  • 1 Post By jermil01
  • 1 Post By jermil01

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 18 (permalink) Old 02-16-2017, 03:01 PM Thread Starter
Fullsize Member

Bronco Info: 1995 302 bone-stock. Lot's of work to do!
Garage
Matt's 95 build

New to the group and I was advised I must use this forum for a build-start until I have 30 posts. Picked up this 1995 Bronco about 2 weeks ago from a guy about 20 minutes north of Gainesville, FL, way out in the sticks. He was originally asking $3k for it but I ended up driving it home for $1,000. I've always wanted one of these to restore over a period of time and figured this one couldn't be passed up for the money. I haven't had a ton of time to really dig into her, but there is quite a bit of work that needs to be done from what I have been able to inspect thus far. She has 177k on the factory 302, 4x4 automatic. Several cancer spots on the body that need repair, coolant temp & fuel gauges are inoperable. Dash cracked, some serious back-yard wiring was done to an aftermarket stereo and fog lights as well. The door panels need replaced from the 8 speakers that were mounted in both, needs a new divers seat, the motor leaks oil almost as fast as you can pour it in, the trans needs a new shit pack (so you have to shift it manually now), rear bumper replaced, paint, and the list goes on. I don't have the skill or time to do any of the motor work myself (excluding regular maintenance), so I'm dropping her off to a trusted shop next week so I can get a professional opinion on if the motor is salvageable, or if I need to swap it with a crate motor, before I start on anything cosmetically. The pics attached are how she sits today. I'll update as I go. I'm all for suggestions and help, so please, if it looks like I'm going to make a bad decision with anything, please chime in.
Fast Floyd likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 18 (permalink) Old 02-16-2017, 03:26 PM Thread Starter
Fullsize Member

Garage
Never in my life have I seen a forum as difficult as this one to load pics to. Every pic I've tried to load says must be resized, then I do and it will say the pic then has the wrong file extension. I'll try to get some pics up when I find time. I've already wasted an hour trying. :(
Fast Floyd likes this.
post #3 of 18 (permalink) Old 02-16-2017, 03:50 PM Thread Starter
Fullsize Member

Garage
Was finally able to get 1 pic to load. She aint pretty, but she's mine!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	size.jpg
Views:	48
Size:	56.1 KB
ID:	96218  
Fast Floyd likes this.

post #4 of 18 (permalink) Old 02-16-2017, 05:09 PM

Bronco Info: 95 XLT, 351W, E4OD
Looks like a good starting point! Welcome to the forum! The work never stops on the Broncos.
Fast Floyd likes this.

Fix it, or fix it so someone has to!
post #5 of 18 (permalink) Old 02-16-2017, 05:12 PM

Bronco Info: 96 Bronco XL 5.0 E4OD, Man Xfer/Hubs
Garage
Yo Matt,
Good buy!
Time to hit the yards for some parts.

For a YARD SEARCH on-line, I use;
http://www.hollanderparts.com/
A yard that uses Hollander Interchange can search other yards and have it shipped.
Can select certain parts
Has Vehicle Pics! They show about 3 - 5 pics for some vehicles
or
CoPartfinder - Your guide to Auto Parts on the Internet
Has Vehicle Pics! They show about 4 - 5 pics per vehicle incl. interior/dash, back seat, front & rear and engine bay.
Can search by year range, such as 92 through 96
Has Vehicle Pics! They show about 4 -
Can NOT Select certain parts

Car-Part.com--Used Auto Parts Market
Can select certain parts
Can search by year range, such as 92 through 96 & has best item condition descriptions such as "COVER BAD LEATHER PWR BKT GRY"
Has Some Vehicle Pics! They show about 4 - 8 pics per vehicle incl. interior/dash, back seat, front & rear and engine bay

Pick-n-Pull Home
This is a Company name w/yard locations in various states

Row52 | Search Results
Has Vehicle Pics AND Want a Part? It's Easy...
1. You create a Parts Wanted Listing.
2. Parts Pullers respond with offers.
3. You pick the best one.
A Parts Puller gets the parts you need.

for obsolete parts by Ford long version pn:
http://www.partsvoice.com/
Automotive Parts Search | RearCounter.com | Auto Parts Marketplace
Main

&
https://consumerlink.oeconnection.com/91554453363118850 (suggested by JScatt!)

See my partially recovered Bronco web site ...Will need to clean up dead links & add many more new links some day. Thanks to Mr. Schwim!
THANKS to ALL WHO SERVE!
post #6 of 18 (permalink) Old 02-16-2017, 06:50 PM

Bronco Info: 95 FSB Ox Wht. Blue Int. 5.8 33" nittos 18" fuel wheels.
Welcome to the family! Lots of info here.

Try using supermotors.net

Just slightly crop the photo and upload it there, copy and paste the [image] insert and itll load right up
post #7 of 18 (permalink) Old 02-16-2017, 07:23 PM

Bronco Info: 1996 XLT Sport Edition, 5.8L, E40D, manual transfer, auto hubs
Garage
welcome to the forum. I have found photobucket to be easy to use as a pic hosting site.
Scoop likes this.
post #8 of 18 (permalink) Old 02-24-2017, 08:44 AM Thread Starter
Fullsize Member

Garage
So, I've taken a couple of weeks to go thru this old tank and really make a prioritized, detailed list of everything I think I want, and needs to be done. I decided to do an engine swap, but first order of business, was to get the gauges all working and the dash pieces that are cracked and or missing replaced. I was, after some trial and error, and a few youtube videos, able to get the gauge cluster out, and clean up some of the pieces I'm going to keep. Ordered replacement pieces for what was cracked, or held in with drywall screws as well. I found a place here in Jacksonville that specializes in rebuilding gauges, and they said they can get mine rebuilt pretty easily. Dropping that off to them this afternoon, and hoping to have it back sometime next week so I can put her back together and get her towed to the motor shop. I've been driving her around town a little here and there, but a transmission cooler line fitting busted on me a couple days ago and sprayed fluid all over under the hood, so she isn't going anywhere under her own power for a while.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	dash2.jpg
Views:	28
Size:	31.1 KB
ID:	96602   Click image for larger version

Name:	dash3.jpg
Views:	24
Size:	29.8 KB
ID:	96610   Click image for larger version

Name:	dash4.jpg
Views:	24
Size:	33.3 KB
ID:	96618  
post #9 of 18 (permalink) Old 02-24-2017, 09:28 AM

Bronco Info: 96 Bronco XL 5.0 E4OD, Man Xfer/Hubs
Garage
Yo Matt,
93-96 Bronco E4OD Trans Cooler Lines @ 1993-96 Bronco Trans Cooler Lines-Broncograveyard.com

Ask if these are for Broncos with external fluid cooler or standard in-radiator cooler.
MattBeezy likes this.

See my partially recovered Bronco web site ...Will need to clean up dead links & add many more new links some day. Thanks to Mr. Schwim!
THANKS to ALL WHO SERVE!
post #10 of 18 (permalink) Old 02-24-2017, 11:26 PM
Fullsize Member

Bronco Info: 78 Custom, 84 Custom, 69 Half Cab, 74 Ranger - stock, 76 Trail Rig
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by MattBeezy View Post
Was finally able to get 1 pic to load. She aint pretty, but she's mine!
I like the color!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shookin Cats View Post
welcome to the forum. I have found photobucket to be easy to use as a pic hosting site.
Same here. I find it much easier than resizing pics to the forum specs. Plus I prefer having the bigger pics show up embedded in the text rather than a bunch of thumbnails at the bottom.
MattBeezy likes this.
post #11 of 18 (permalink) Old 02-25-2017, 08:34 AM Thread Starter
Fullsize Member

Garage
Thought this was kinda funny. Got tied up at work yesterday and asked my girl to run my gauge cluster to the repair shop on the other side of town, stressing to her the importance it was not damaged any further on the trip there, and she sent me this pic. Good girl! In return for a job well done, I have to take her to the Luke Bryan concert tonight so I wont get any work time in on the truck today as I had planned, but should get some time tomorrow to start working on the fab work that needs to be done on the lower portion of both door panels where some jack wagon mounted (4), 5 & 1/4 door speakers in each one. Not sure exactly what I'm going to do yet, but I'll post some before/after pics once I get it all figured out. Hope everyone has a splendid weekend!
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	gauges.jpg
Views:	17
Size:	23.5 KB
ID:	96650  
Dro41 likes this.
post #12 of 18 (permalink) Old 03-10-2017, 11:32 AM Thread Starter
Fullsize Member

Garage
So, while shooting the shit with the owner of the shop that rebuilt my gauge cluster, I learned that he use to work directly for ford & build ford racing motors, as well as restored an 89 fs with a 351w and his own 69 mustang. Seems super knowledgeable about my truck and fords in general. I've decided to take him mine on Monday morning and have him tear it down, and rebuild the factory 302. I'm looking for some input (I'll get some from him as well) as to any performance parts I should upgrade to during the rebuild. I'm not looking for a race motor that puts out 400hp. I would just like a little more beef than she came with and most of all reliability as I'll be using this rig as a fishing buggy to take way out in the woods. Should I upgrade the heads or anything like that? I'll have all the bolt on's swapped out for new, cooling system, alternator, starter etc....but would like some direction on anything I should add to the factory engine it's self. All input appreciated!
post #13 of 18 (permalink) Old 03-10-2017, 01:07 PM
Charlie doesn't surf!!

Bronco Info: 1992 xlt, 351EFI, .040, E4OD, D44 SAS w/Trutrac,Detroit locked 8.8, MAF conv, Tweeced
Garage
all depends on how much $$ you want to spend..I did full rebuild on my engine that cost about $4K, but it was nothing fancy. Had my 351 bore .040, used stock heads..here is a complete break down of everything I did..It's not the most powerful motor by any stretch, but it does everything I need it to and is reliable.

whereabouts in Jax are you? I'm over in Mandarin.
MattBeezy likes this.
post #14 of 18 (permalink) Old 03-10-2017, 02:38 PM Thread Starter
Fullsize Member

Garage
I'm in Mandarin as well. I live off Old St. Augustine Rd. Awww, were neighbors lol. My budget is exactly 4k for the motor/ trans work that needs to be done. I called Tachyon (I see you used them as well) and they quoted me $4k for the rebuild. I'm going to have NV performance do mine. From what I've been told, both shops do a really good job. I greatly appreciate the info!
post #15 of 18 (permalink) Old 03-10-2017, 02:46 PM
Charlie doesn't surf!!

Bronco Info: 1992 xlt, 351EFI, .040, E4OD, D44 SAS w/Trutrac,Detroit locked 8.8, MAF conv, Tweeced
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by MattBeezy View Post
I'm in Mandarin as well. I live off Old St. Augustine Rd. Awww, were neighbors lol. My budget is exactly 4k for the motor/ trans work that needs to be done. I called Tachyon (I see you used them as well) and they quoted me $4k for the rebuild. I'm going to have NV performance do mine. From what I've been told, both shops do a really good job. I greatly appreciate the info!
Wouldn't say Tachyon was great to deal with. They did an ok job with what I needed them for which was assembling the bottom end. I'm not familiar with NV, where are they located?

I live off Loretto, and my office is down by Baptist South.

We've got a pretty good group of guys down here, you should check out the Dixie chapter section and keep an eye open for the next trail ride.
MattBeezy likes this.
post #16 of 18 (permalink) Old 03-10-2017, 02:54 PM Thread Starter
Fullsize Member

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by jermil01 View Post
Wouldn't say Tachyon was great to deal with. They did an ok job with what I needed them for which was assembling the bottom end. I'm not familiar with NV, where are they located?

I live off Loretto, and my office is down by Baptist South.

We've got a pretty good group of guys down here, you should check out the Dixie chapter section and keep an eye open for the next trail ride.
Will do! Everything I have heard from a lot of people is "Tachyon does great work, but they are expensive". I was referred to them by several. NV Performance is off of Leon Rd. They are the only shop that rebuilds gauges in N. FL, so they got my instrument cluster to repair. I was going to go with Tachyon, but after talking to the guy at NV and learning he's a Ford nut, I'm letting him do it. I just think I'll get a little better individual customer service with him.
post #17 of 18 (permalink) Old 03-10-2017, 04:21 PM
Charlie doesn't surf!!

Garage
always good to work with someone who is a Ford nut, especially if he knows these older rigs. If you're looking for a good mechanic, let me know. I use these guys called J&M mobile. They come to your house, and are much less expensive than a shop. On top of that they do really good work.
MattBeezy likes this.
post #18 of 18 (permalink) Old 03-16-2017, 10:34 AM Thread Starter
Fullsize Member

Garage
The tow company just came buy to take my rig to the shop where she's going to get the mechanical work done. They advised me the gauge cluster has been repaired, bench tested and is ready to reinstall. Probably going to be a week or so before I really know how much bread I'm about to be shelling out to have her running like I would like, but I'm pretty confident she's in good hands. Got new headlights, tail lights, a new grill and some dash-trim pieces via FedEx this week. I didn't install any of it yet; figured I wait until she's back from the motor rebuild before I start anything cosmetic. Going to order the new carpet kit today, and hopefully find a couple of bucket seats to match the rear bench. The front seats are sh*t, but the rear bench is like new. Just an medium-factory blue color, so hopefully I can find fronts that won't be mismatched too bad. I'd like to have 99% of the cosmetic bolt on's at home, waiting to be installed when I get her back from the shop. Last night I started to peel back some of the vinyl off the floor, and what a mess. It doesn't seem there are any soft spots in the floor, but it was wet & soggy in some places and quite a bit of surface rust. Soon as I get her back and get the rest of the interior pulled I'll take a wire wheel out and see what I'm really dealing with. My plan is to clean it up to bare metal, or as best as I can, and roll out a good layer of truck bed liner before I install the new carpet. We shall see in a couple of weeks. The attached pic is of the current ugliness under the hood. Hopefully the last time I'll ever see that mess.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	302.JPG
Views:	8
Size:	147.3 KB
ID:	98161  

Ford Bronco Forum > Bronco Discussions > Noobie Bronco Tech Questions. Flame free zone!

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Bronco Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself. DO NOT USE Gmail.com accounts. If you only have a Gmail.com email please contact the administrator here

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode