Finally get to do some maintenance... - Ford Bronco Forum
 13Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 48 (permalink) Old 02-28-2017, 01:52 AM Thread Starter

Bronco Info: 1991 Eddie Bauer 5.0 auto
Garage
Finally get to do some maintenance...

I haven't been able to get any maintenance done since I bought the Bronco. Now, tax return is here and I have a whopping $462 to use. I am trying to stretch that money as far as I can. A family friend works for Oreilly's so will be getting his discount. So far on my list is:

1) SixLitre upgrade with:
a) ACCEL SuperCoil 140012 - Ignition Coil | O'Reilly Auto Parts for $52.99
b) Motorcraft SP450 - Spark Plug | O'Reilly Auto Parts for $22.32
c) ACCEL 8233 - Distributor Cap And Rotor Kit | O'Reilly Auto Parts for $30.99
d)ACCEL Super Stock 4040 - Wire Set | O'Reilly Auto Parts For $41.99 or ACCEL 228004 - Wire Set | O'Reilly Auto Parts for $29.99
2) BrakeBest Brakes 50-4210 - Power Brake Booster | O'Reilly Auto Parts for $138.99

Fluids have all been done, so I think I'm good with what I have listed. Couple of questions though if I may. The spark plug wires, is there any real difference between the 2 sets I listed? Is the yellow set worth the extra cost?

And second is the about the brake booster. Everything I have read says to do the booster and master cylinder at the same time which is why I chose the combo. The one I posted is a reman and made by a company I have never heard of. Is there a better option for this/these parts that won't break my budget? Or will this one be ok for a stock vehicle? I don't have any mod plans of any kind for the time being, I just need it reliable.

And just in case, it is a 1991 5.0 with an automatic. Thanks as always folks!

Stock 1991 5.0 Eddie Bauer
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 48 (permalink) Old 02-28-2017, 02:04 AM
Retiring Soon

Bronco Info: '95 XLT, 5.8/E4OD/MassAir/6" lift/4.56's/35x12.5 BFG AT-KO2
Garage
if you're stuck with O'Really's stuff...

plugs: Motorcraft WR4017C - Ignition Plug Wire Set | O'Reilly Auto Parts
although I really liked the 9MM Ford Racing ones I got from Summit.

"When life throws you a curve... LEAN INTO IT!"

SuperMotors - Since 2002
post #3 of 48 (permalink) Old 02-28-2017, 02:12 AM Thread Starter

Garage
Not really stuck with Oreilly's, just trying to keep it as budget friendly as I can and I get his employee discount. I just started shopping parts today so will continue to check pricing elsewhere. Will check out Summit as well, thanks.
BikerPepe` likes this.

post #4 of 48 (permalink) Old 02-28-2017, 07:45 AM

Bronco Info: 1981 w/302
Regarding your question about replacing the booster and master cylinder at the same time: I think it is money well-spent to do both at the same time. You are going to have it apart anyway to replace the booster, and the master cylinder is not very expensive. Are you having any leaks?

I have had no issues with O'Reilly's BrakeBest parts. They seem to be quality products, and they have a good warranty.

If you are wanting a reliable vehicle, if you have a choice of different levels of parts (at least based on the price), I have always been good with getting not the cheapest, not the most expensive, but somewhere in between. I do like to stick with Motorcraft if it's available. Also, inspect the different ones if you can. Sometimes it is pretty easy to tell a quality difference.
BikerPepe` likes this.

nra1ifer

MADE America Great Again!!!!
post #5 of 48 (permalink) Old 02-28-2017, 08:23 AM
Ready 4 a Mid-Life Crisis

Bronco Info: '94 Bronco, rebuilt E4OD (To PS specs), 33" BFGs.
I did a major maintenance update last Fall.

Man, what a difference!

μολὼν λαβέ
President Trump on building the wall:
"THIS IS WHERE WE HOLD THEM!!! THIS IS WHERE WE FIGHT!!! THIS IS WHERE THEY'RE DEPORTED!!!"
V.P.Pence:
BUILD THIS WALL, BOYS!!!
Fearless Indians:
Awe-Ooo!!!
post #6 of 48 (permalink) Old 02-28-2017, 02:24 PM

Bronco Info: 1989 Bronco 351w/c6
Garage
one reason people suggest changing the booster and master cylinder at the same time is because often the master cylinder will start leaking into the booster, causing it to fail. plus as @nra1ifer said, half the work is already done if you are changing the booster, so might as well.

i found this A-1 cardone booster/master combo at rockauto.com: More Information for A-1 CARDONE 504210

$97 not counting the core, plus you can get a 5% discount on top of that. its the exact same part number as the o'reilly's part so i bet they just rebranded the cardone one.

one thing that is very strange is that you can get the booster and master cylinder separately for cheaper. booster is $50 before core charge, master is $25 on rockauto.com

also, when i used to work at advance, our discount sucked. we got 20% off. i could get a better discount if i ordered the stuff online and picked up in store. dont be afraid to buy from somewhere else just because you dont get a discount.

89 Bronco 351w/c6

My SuperMotors
post #7 of 48 (permalink) Old 02-28-2017, 05:08 PM

Bronco Info: 1989 Bronco 5.0 AOD w/ 3G alt, more to come
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dro41 View Post
I haven't been able to get any maintenance done since I bought the Bronco. Now, tax return is here and I have a whopping $462 to use. I am trying to stretch that money as far as I can. A family friend works for Oreilly's so will be getting his discount. So far on my list is:

1) SixLitre upgrade with:
a) ACCEL SuperCoil 140012 - Ignition Coil | O'Reilly Auto Parts for $52.99
b) Motorcraft SP450 - Spark Plug | O'Reilly Auto Parts for $22.32
c) ACCEL 8233 - Distributor Cap And Rotor Kit | O'Reilly Auto Parts for $30.99
d)ACCEL Super Stock 4040 - Wire Set | O'Reilly Auto Parts For $41.99 or ACCEL 228004 - Wire Set | O'Reilly Auto Parts for $29.99
2) BrakeBest Brakes 50-4210 - Power Brake Booster | O'Reilly Auto Parts for $138.99

Fluids have all been done, so I think I'm good with what I have listed. Couple of questions though if I may. The spark plug wires, is there any real difference between the 2 sets I listed? Is the yellow set worth the extra cost?

And second is the about the brake booster. Everything I have read says to do the booster and master cylinder at the same time which is why I chose the combo. The one I posted is a reman and made by a company I have never heard of. Is there a better option for this/these parts that won't break my budget? Or will this one be ok for a stock vehicle? I don't have any mod plans of any kind for the time being, I just need it reliable.

And just in case, it is a 1991 5.0 with an automatic. Thanks as always folks!
Skip the Accel parts. They're not really an upgrade over stock-grade parts and certainly are not worth the price difference. They're rebranded Nippon Denso parts in yellow with an upcharge.
post #8 of 48 (permalink) Old 03-01-2017, 02:56 AM Thread Starter

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by nra1ifer View Post
Regarding your question about replacing the booster and master cylinder at the same time: I think it is money well-spent to do both at the same time. You are going to have it apart anyway to replace the booster, and the master cylinder is not very expensive. Are you having any leaks?

I have had no issues with O'Reilly's BrakeBest parts. They seem to be quality products, and they have a good warranty.

If you are wanting a reliable vehicle, if you have a choice of different levels of parts (at least based on the price), I have always been good with getting not the cheapest, not the most expensive, but somewhere in between. I do like to stick with Motorcraft if it's available. Also, inspect the different ones if you can. Sometimes it is pretty easy to tell a quality difference.
Thank you for this, I was worried about a brand I had never heard of. Nice to know someone has had good experience with it. I have been trying to find Motorcraft parts (they seem to be pretty popular on this site), but not seeing much local in stores. I'm not stuck on the low priced parts, I agree that reliability comes with a price, was just trying to stretch it as far as I could. If I have to order online and wait a bit to do the work I will.

post #9 of 48 (permalink) Old 03-01-2017, 02:57 AM Thread Starter

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by CDA 455 View Post
I did a major maintenance update last Fall.

Man, what a difference!
This is what I'm hoping for. It does run good now, but I know it needs help. The PO/s haven't treated it well, but it has great bones.

post #10 of 48 (permalink) Old 03-01-2017, 02:59 AM Thread Starter

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by sharpshooter109 View Post
one reason people suggest changing the booster and master cylinder at the same time is because often the master cylinder will start leaking into the booster, causing it to fail. plus as @nra1ifer said, half the work is already done if you are changing the booster, so might as well.

i found this A-1 cardone booster/master combo at rockauto.com: More Information for A-1 CARDONE 504210

$97 not counting the core, plus you can get a 5% discount on top of that. its the exact same part number as the o'reilly's part so i bet they just rebranded the cardone one.

one thing that is very strange is that you can get the booster and master cylinder separately for cheaper. booster is $50 before core charge, master is $25 on rockauto.com

also, when i used to work at advance, our discount sucked. we got 20% off. i could get a better discount if i ordered the stuff online and picked up in store. dont be afraid to buy from somewhere else just because you dont get a discount.
Thank you, I'm not sure how I missed this when I looked at Rockauto. And as far as the discount, i'm not sure what it will amount to, he says it depends on the part??

post #11 of 48 (permalink) Old 03-01-2017, 03:04 AM Thread Starter

Garage
Quote:

Pardon my ignorance, but in regards to leaks, where would it show? At the master cylinder itself or would it show in other areas as well? My engine bay is a mess, meaning it is dirtier than I can stand (I rent a room from a friend who lives in an HOA rental, so cleaning will have to wait a bit and it drives me nuts, haha).
So far, the brake booster hisses when I step on the pedal, but brakes are still good. I know it needs replaced, so don't drive it. If there aren't any leaks from the MC can that step be skipped for now?

post #12 of 48 (permalink) Old 03-01-2017, 03:06 AM Thread Starter

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spktyr View Post
Skip the Accel parts. They're not really an upgrade over stock-grade parts and certainly are not worth the price difference. They're rebranded Nippon Denso parts in yellow with an upcharge.
Any recommendations? I would like to do the upgrade since I am replacing those parts anyway.

post #13 of 48 (permalink) Old 03-01-2017, 03:08 AM Thread Starter

Garage
Thank you to everyone who responded. It has been quite awhile for me and this is kind of a relearning experience for me. Folks here have been great and I definitely appreciate it.

post #14 of 48 (permalink) Old 03-01-2017, 04:34 AM

Bronco Info: 1981 w/302
Regarding leaks: I was curious if you've noticed any brake fluid leaking anywhere? As mentioned, it could be leaking into the booster from the master cylinder or anywhere else in the system.
I just replaced the booster and master cylinder in our 1981 Bronco last week. It was leaving a puddle on the garage floor, but wasn't a danger to drive as long as I watched the fluid level. That was one of the easiest jobs I have done on our Bronco. Normal PITA to bleed the system afterward.

I can sympathize with the dirty engine compartment. Ours used to be that way, but we installed a new engine last summer and took care of a lot of that mess. Prior to that, I just cleaned what I could reach. From what I can tell, our Bronco is getting the best treatment it has ever had since we bought it 3 years ago. I don't think any of the previous owners were big on the care of the vehicle, and evidence of prior maintenance showed that it was done half-assed, at best.
We have a happy Bronco now!
Keep at it...... little by little you'll get yours in shape.
post #15 of 48 (permalink) Old 03-01-2017, 10:24 AM

Bronco Info: 1989 Bronco 351w/c6
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spktyr View Post
i thought i remembered that the accel coil actually was an upgrade over stock? ill have to look it up. i agree about the wires and cap/rotor though. i would recommend either getting a larger set (9mm, etc) or a cheap pair of quality stock replacements. dont spend the money on the accels (same diameter wire as stock).

Quote:
as far as the discount, i'm not sure what it will amount to, he says it depends on the part??
if i remember right and they havent changed things, i heard the o'reilly discount was where the employee paid cost + some percent. so o'reillys was actually a pretty decent discount. all i was saying about ordering online though is that you need to shop around. get the price from o'reilly from you buddy then look around and see if you can find the stuff cheaper somewhere else. odds are you can find it cheaper somewhere else. but maybe not.

89 Bronco 351w/c6

My SuperMotors
post #16 of 48 (permalink) Old 03-01-2017, 08:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sharpshooter109 View Post
i thought i remembered that the accel coil actually was an upgrade over stock? ill have to look it up.
Technically - on paper - it is an upgrade. However, the greater voltage of the Accel coil will not do anything unless you increase your compression ratio or fit a power adder like a turbocharger or supercharger. A good working-to-spec stock TFI square coil will provide the same results with a stock engine as an Accel will for a lower price. All the reports of "My engine worked better when I swapped out my old coil for an Accel" are just that - reports of replacing a decayed old coil that's no longer working to spec and has marginal power with something new. You would get the exact same effect if you threw a new Motorcraft stock coil on to replace the old one. This has been proven over and over and over on dynos and workbenches.
post #17 of 48 (permalink) Old 03-01-2017, 08:51 PM

Quote:
Any recommendations? I would like to do the upgrade since I am replacing those parts anyway.
Unless you plan to build it up, stock Ford/Motorcraft stuff is a safe recommendation, along with Nippon Denso and NGK stuff. Plugs should be Motorcraft.
post #18 of 48 (permalink) Old 03-02-2017, 12:18 AM
Retiring Soon

Bronco Info: '95 XLT, 5.8/E4OD/MassAir/6" lift/4.56's/35x12.5 BFG AT-KO2
Garage
so... not to hijack, but what's the official skinny on the Ford Racing 9MM wires?
a waste or? seems stupid... but I really dig the numbered wires.

"When life throws you a curve... LEAN INTO IT!"

SuperMotors - Since 2002
post #19 of 48 (permalink) Old 03-02-2017, 08:08 PM Thread Starter

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by BikerPepe` View Post
so... not to hijack, but what's the official skinny on the Ford Racing 9MM wires?
a waste or? seems stupid... but I really dig the numbered wires.
All good, I'm curious about these also. They are priced better than the Accel wires.

post #20 of 48 (permalink) Old 03-02-2017, 08:10 PM Thread Starter

Garage
Quote:
Regarding leaks: I was curious if you've noticed any brake fluid leaking anywhere? As mentioned, it could be leaking into the booster from the master cylinder or anywhere else in the system.
I just replaced the booster and master cylinder in our 1981 Bronco last week. It was leaving a puddle on the garage floor, but wasn't a danger to drive as long as I watched the fluid level. That was one of the easiest jobs I have done on our Bronco. Normal PITA to bleed the system afterward.

I can sympathize with the dirty engine compartment. Ours used to be that way, but we installed a new engine last summer and took care of a lot of that mess. Prior to that, I just cleaned what I could reach. From what I can tell, our Bronco is getting the best treatment it has ever had since we bought it 3 years ago. I don't think any of the previous owners were big on the care of the vehicle, and evidence of prior maintenance showed that it was done half-assed, at best.
We have a happy Bronco now!
Keep at it...... little by little you'll get yours in shape.
Been sick, but as soon as I'm feeling better I will try to get a better look at it for leaks.

Ford Bronco Forum > Bronco Discussions > Noobie Bronco Tech Questions. Flame free zone!

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Bronco Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself. DO NOT USE Gmail.com accounts. If you only have a Gmail.com email please contact the administrator here

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode