Camshaft duration question - Page 2 - Ford Bronco Forum
 26Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #21 of 26 (permalink) Old 03-13-2017, 10:08 PM

Bronco Info: 1989 bronco
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by RLVBronco View Post
Well it's not really going to be stock anymore... I'm changing the heads, all the valve train, intake, all of the exhaust, and the cam.

The best cam will probably be the operating range of 1,000 - to 5,200. But I want to know if I can use the 2,000 to 6,000 cam with a stock stall converter.
Let's throw something out there with the price of sbf aluminum heads right now you can easily max your speed density and bottom end out with say some good gt40 heads and custom grind cam. Unless you blueprint and forge the bottom end throwing big money at heads and cam is a waste. The cheapest and easiest way to make horsepower has always been to spray it or forced induction. We can all talk this round in circles for days. You can have a fun and budget rig as cheap as parts are now. What re your plans for rig?
445 FE Bronco likes this.

1989 Bronco project rig
1994 Mustang Cobra Pace Car #365 of 1000
1997 Mustang GT DD
2002 F-150 Crew Cab FX4 6" lift and 35's
1978 f-150 Ranger 2wd project demon
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #22 of 26 (permalink) Old 03-13-2017, 10:22 PM

Bronco Info: 1995 XLT 5.8 .040 Roller Cam X heads JBA headers 4" Skyjacker 33s 4:11s L/S rear Tru Trac front E4OD
Quote:
Originally Posted by jopes View Post
Say what?

If they couldn't handle over 5k ford would have out a rev limiter on them to stop them from exceeding that.
They have a built in rev limiter in the intake, heads, exhaust and cats! Go for it Jopes , drive a stock 351 around at 5000 RPM.
post #23 of 26 (permalink) Old 03-13-2017, 10:33 PM
FSM Lifetime

Bronco Info: 1978 Round headlight, 351M,C6, 9", 44/1991, 445 FE, t19, 205, Dana 60/70, MAF, Moet's
Garage
Hey I have reved a Vortech SB Chevy to 7500 with a flat tappet cam and it didn't come apart. It did however have ARP bolts, Chevy pink rods and was balanced.
Fast Floyd likes this.

post #24 of 26 (permalink) Old 03-13-2017, 10:41 PM
gone fish'n

Bronco Info: pile of parts
Quote:
Originally Posted by wyatt earp View Post
They have a built in rev limiter in the intake, heads, exhaust and cats! Go for it Jopes , drive a stock 351 around at 5000 RPM.
I would have no issues wrapping that thing to 6k
Fast Floyd likes this.

'01 F250, 444ci of straight piped oil burning fun. 4x4, 6 spd, GTP38R noise maker, Stage 2 injektorz. Lotsa fun!

Let's Go Fishing.
post #25 of 26 (permalink) Old 03-14-2017, 11:08 PM
Eric

Bronco Info: '88 Bronco XLT, 5.0L, AOD, 33's
To the OP:

Build a motor by matching the power curves and operating ranges of ALL your parts. Don't bolt on random parts just to say you have 'em. A good cam might get you 12 HP on a stock motor. Match it with heads, intake, and exhaust... now that same cam makes 25 HP because it's exploiting its potential.

Don't start by asking what people think of certain parts. Each part is great, if it's coupled with other good parts. Maybe, start by asking yourself, "What do I want to do with this truck, specifically?" Then, "Does this activity require more HP or more TQ?" Followed by, "Where will the engine spends most of its operation? Down low, or, up high in the RPM range?"

Next, decide what ancillary items will, either, benefit, or, hinder your drivetrain. I.E.- gearing, tires, tranny mods, added weight from fabbed bumpers and such. Then, modify your plan, a little, further, based on those aspirations. Build your truck for the end-game. Otherwise, you'll just end up with a garage full of "obsolete" parts that no longer make the kind of power you want.

Third, a million threads on the same subject makes it hard for people to track what your plan is. Especially, when you change it, or, ask the same question multiple times, which implies that you are doubtful about people's suggestions, or, unsatisfied with the responses you, previously, received. If this is the case, join several forums and ask the question to several, different, groups of people. This way, you can compile a list of suggestions and take the most common/acceptable replies as guidance.

As far as your cam, I would suggest an off-idle stick with as low a duration as possible, but, only if you're building the motor for TQ. Just remember, HP is a by-product of TQ. Too much and you're gonna need to tune, so, if you're trying to get away with the stock tune, keep an eye on your parts selection.

My $0.02,
Eric
post #26 of 26 (permalink) Old 03-19-2017, 10:25 AM

Bronco Info: 1994 Bronco XLT 5.8L auto, 3L.55 on 10.50 x 31 x 15 Goodyear Wranglers
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by 445 FE Bronco View Post
Yep start at the bottom and work your way up, pan, pump, baffles, scraper, rotating assembly pre balanced ( scatt ), some heads with 180-190 CC intakes with tulip valves and roller cam.
Yes Now we're talking!! But If I'm going to spend that kind of money on a engine for a Heavy FSB, I'm going to Start with a 460!! LOL!! not a 351w.

1994 Bronco XLT 5.8L auto, 3L.55, on 10.50 x 31 x 15 Good Year Wranglers. Work In Progress.
Bassist for "3DC" Three Dog Knight Celebration

Ford Bronco Forum > Bronco Discussions > Noobie Bronco Tech Questions. Flame free zone!

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Bronco Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself. DO NOT USE Gmail.com accounts. If you only have a Gmail.com email please contact the administrator here

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode