Lower Intake Manifold Bolt Kits? - Ford Bronco Forum
 1Likes
  • 1 Post By 352Ford

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 9 (permalink) Old 03-18-2017, 04:44 AM Thread Starter

Bronco Info: 1989 Bronco 5.0 AOD w/ 3G alt, more to come
Lower Intake Manifold Bolt Kits?

I'm getting around to fitting my 5.0's lower intake manifold back on my truck. Given the poor condition of the bolts I took out, I thought I'd replace them all while I was at it. Initially, I thought I'd use a standard Mustang-intended kit, but I thought I would check and see if there's any better truck-specific kits or sources for all the bolts and perhaps the four studs. Any recommendations?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 (permalink) Old 03-18-2017, 10:35 AM
Nothing beets a Fullsize

Bronco Info: 96 Bronco (5.8 DD E4OD), 88 Bronco Mudder (Engineless), 90 F250 (Explorer 5.0 4R70W)
Garage
the lower bolts would be all the same pretty much with the exeption of acouple being studs. i used a stud kit on mine so i dont have to worry about breaking the bolts off in the future

-----96 5.0 E4OD--------------88 5.8 C6--------------96 5.8 E4OD------
---------KIA-------------------Mud/Trail---------------Daily Driver------
post #3 of 9 (permalink) Old 03-20-2017, 12:28 PM
FSM Lifetime

Bronco Info: 92 Factory Original 300 I6 M5OD Manual Custom. 3 seats, AC and a radio and all vinyl interior.
Garage
When I did the exhaust on my 4.9L, I picked up new studs at NAPA. They were hanging on the card display with all the other fasteners. For, essentially a 1 time buy, they were not expensive.

JTMcD.
We sleep Peaceful in our beds because Rough Men stand ready in the night to visit violence upon those who would do us harm............George Orwell
The object of life's journey is not to arrive at the grave safely in a well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, totally worn out, shouting, 'Holy Shit, What a Ride!!! -- Mavis Leyrer

MY A/C Vacuum leak repair http://www.fullsizebronco.com/forum/23-technical-write-ups/175808-how-i-fixed-my-c-vac-leak.html

post #4 of 9 (permalink) Old 03-20-2017, 04:32 PM

Bronco Info: 1996 XL
I used studs, washers and nuts I ordered from the local fastener store (Tacoma screw). I like using studs for the lower because it greatly helps keeping the intake gaskets in place when putting the intake on.
Festus likes this.

I love projects, I have ruined my life with them.
post #5 of 9 (permalink) Old 03-21-2017, 03:39 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kingfish999 View Post
the lower bolts would be all the same pretty much with the exeption of acouple being studs. i used a stud kit on mine so i dont have to worry about breaking the bolts off in the future
Where did you get the stud kit?
post #6 of 9 (permalink) Old 03-21-2017, 03:40 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by 352Ford View Post
I used studs, washers and nuts I ordered from the local fastener store (Tacoma screw). I like using studs for the lower because it greatly helps keeping the intake gaskets in place when putting the intake on.
Is there a cheat sheet on what all I'd need to locate?
post #7 of 9 (permalink) Old 03-21-2017, 10:37 AM

Bronco Info: 1996 XL
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spktyr View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spktyr View Post
I didn't take any notes and I did it years ago, but I am pretty sure this is what I did:
1) measure the threads, diameter, and hole depth head side.
2) placing the intake on measuring how long the studs need to be including double thickness hardened washers and ensuring there are at least 2 exposed threads left after the nut is cinched down.
3) went down to the store and bought them.

Keep in mind the threaded length of both ends of the stud as well as the non threaded section when measuring the length needed. Short head side threaded length can lead to the stud being a little prouder of the manifold than expected.

Also I prefer finer threads on the manifold side of the stud.

Looks like ARP make a kit too:

The Official ARP Web Site | Kits

I love projects, I have ruined my life with them.
post #8 of 9 (permalink) Old 03-22-2017, 12:47 AM
Nothing beets a Fullsize

Bronco Info: 96 Bronco (5.8 DD E4OD), 88 Bronco Mudder (Engineless), 90 F250 (Explorer 5.0 4R70W)
Garage
ya ARP sells a stud kit but its like 60$ ARP 354-2103. theres some cheaper sets on ebay also such as these
PC Ford SB 289 302 351 Windsor 12 Point Black Oxide Intake Manifold Stud Kit | eBay

otherwise take a bolt to fastener store or maybe even an ACE Hardware and get some small sections of all-thread with the correct thread and get some nuts. my ACE has small allthread sections around 3" long sections which may be long enough

-----96 5.0 E4OD--------------88 5.8 C6--------------96 5.8 E4OD------
---------KIA-------------------Mud/Trail---------------Daily Driver------
post #9 of 9 (permalink) Old 03-22-2017, 01:02 AM
FSM Lifetime

Bronco Info: 1978 Round headlight, 351M,C6, 9", 44/1991, 445 FE, t19, 205, Dana 60/70, MAF, Moet's
Garage
I use Allen bolts, makes getting that bugger on and off easy.

Ford Bronco Forum > Bronco Discussions > Noobie Bronco Tech Questions. Flame free zone!

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Bronco Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself. DO NOT USE Gmail.com accounts. If you only have a Gmail.com email please contact the administrator here

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode