Relacement rear drivesahft - Ford Bronco Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 10 (permalink) Old 03-18-2017, 07:49 PM Thread Starter

Bronco Info: 94 Bronco 5.8L engine
Relacement rear drivesahft

Good day,

I just replaced the rear drive shaft on 94 ford bronce and pulled off the front drive shaft to repalce the ujoints and found out that i need to replace that shaft also. I did not reinstall the front drvice shaft, while driving it in 2 wheel drive, There was a loud rattle sound and the bronco shakes a little, is that due to not reinstalling the front drive shaft. Or something else. If something else what cound that be?

Thanks

Tony
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 (permalink) Old 03-18-2017, 07:59 PM

Bronco Info: 1988 Bronco XLT 4x4 302/C6
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by TonyPark View Post
Good day,

I just replaced the rear drive shaft on 94 ford bronce and pulled off the front drive shaft to repalce the ujoints and found out that i need to replace that shaft also. I did not reinstall the front drvice shaft, while driving it in 2 wheel drive, There was a loud rattle sound and the bronco shakes a little, is that due to not reinstalling the front drive shaft. Or something else. If something else what cound that be?

Thanks

Tony

Shouldn't be. Your t-case shouldn't be turning in 2wd, and if your hubs are free, then your front pinion shouldn't be turning either. Have you tried reinstalling your rear driveshaft 180 degrees opposite? By that I mean disconnect the rear joint, put it in neutral and spin the shaft 1/2 turn and reinstall. Other than that, I'm not sure.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

MS88Bronc
1988 Bronco XLT
5.0L V8, C6, BW 1356, 3.55 LSD, 33" rubber
post #3 of 10 (permalink) Old 03-18-2017, 08:21 PM
FSM Lifetime

Bronco Info: 93 5.8L tons of stuff
Sounds to me like it's your rear shaft being as it sounds like it started right after you installed the "new" shaft. What exactly did you replace? The front won't make a sound with the shaft out, whether it's in 4WD or not. Try rotating the shaft 180 as MS said but I bet you have something wrong with it.

post #4 of 10 (permalink) Old 03-18-2017, 08:25 PM

Bronco Info: 1988 Bronco XLT 4x4 302/C6
Garage
Relacemtn rear drivesahft

Was the replacement dshaft a used piece? Was it checked for balance? How were the ujoints and CV centering ball? Was the double cardan "floppy" or stiff? All of these could contribute to vibration. I literally just went through this on my rig.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

MS88Bronc
1988 Bronco XLT
5.0L V8, C6, BW 1356, 3.55 LSD, 33" rubber
post #5 of 10 (permalink) Old 03-18-2017, 08:30 PM Thread Starter

Bronco Info: 94 Bronco 5.8L engine
The new shaft is brand new. Its a masterpro shaft, its was pre balanced, when i purchased it. I will try rotating it 180 degrees tomorrow.

Thank you for the help

Tony
post #6 of 10 (permalink) Old 03-20-2017, 05:49 PM

Bronco Info: 1996 XL
What made you think the old drivelines were bad? Just vibrations? or something else. I find it's usualy cheaper to replace things like slip yokes and such than buy a whole new unit.

I love projects, I have ruined my life with them.
post #7 of 10 (permalink) Old 03-20-2017, 07:05 PM

Bronco Info: 95 XLT, 351W, E4OD
Did the rear driveshaft get installed correctly in phase? By this I mean were the yokes installed parallel to each other. Google "driveshaft phase" to see what I mean. I find it hard to believe that it came from a shop like that but you never know.

Fix it, or fix it so someone has to!
post #8 of 10 (permalink) Old 03-21-2017, 12:37 PM
aka: kemicalburns

Bronco Info: 94 357/E4OD - ProC 6" stageII, 35"bfg AT, f/R 4.88's, Front Aussie locker, HS9500, sliders
Garage
his 94 would have a flange mount style drive shaft. how would having it not In Phase be possible? Unless of course the shaft itself was not built correctly or balanced.

94 5.8/E4OD Edelbrock efi intake, jba headers, transgo shift kit. 6" PC stage II, 4.88 gears, front Aussie. Warn HS9500, custom bumper and sliders. RedHead steering and TieRod flip.
post #9 of 10 (permalink) Old 03-21-2017, 01:48 PM

Bronco Info: 78 351/NP435, lifted 4", 33s. 79 in progress, built 400, low gear C6, lots more to come.
Quote:
Originally Posted by TravisITGuy View Post
his 94 would have a flange mount style drive shaft. how would having it not In Phase be possible? Unless of course the shaft itself was not built correctly or balanced.
As far as the possibility of the shaft being out of phase, not built correctly could be a way. Since the shaft is splined, it could also be put out of phase by being assembled a spline (or more) off.
post #10 of 10 (permalink) Old 03-21-2017, 02:10 PM
Charlie doesn't surf!!

Bronco Info: 1992 xlt, 351EFI, .040, E4OD, D44 SAS w/Trutrac,Detroit locked 8.8, MAF conv, Tweeced
Garage
For reference while the chain in the transfer case may not be turning, the rear output shaft and the associated parts are all turning inside the case(everything on the right) as is the oil pump..the rattling sound could be from the oil pump retainer letting loose.

Ford Bronco Forum > Bronco Discussions > Noobie Bronco Tech Questions. Flame free zone!

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Bronco Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself. DO NOT USE Gmail.com accounts. If you only have a Gmail.com email please contact the administrator here

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode