Drivers door stuck closed - Ford Bronco Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old 03-18-2017, 10:49 PM Thread Starter

Drivers door stuck closed

Ok, so this sucks. I have long had a problem with the power locks where they make the drivers door stuck in the locked position. When it happens, I climb in through the passengers door, pull on the handle and shove the door with my shoulder till it opens. The problem today, it that the interior door handle came off in my hand-It's broken.

Now i can't open the door at all, what can I do?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old 03-19-2017, 09:54 AM

Bronco Info: 96 Bronco XL 5.0 E4OD, Man Xfer/Hubs
Garage
Yo 11,
Fill out your Bronco Info with year, engine size, transmission type, transfer case type (manual or electric shift), locking hub type (automatic or manual) info & major mods such as a Lift, etc. for better responses.
Click User CP
Edit Your Details,
Scroll down to Bronco Info
Suspect actuator is defective. Test by; disconnect actuator conhector; using jumper wires connected to battery positive (+) and negative (-) or use a portable tool 12vdc batty; attach jumpers to actuator connector; reverse polarity for opposite direction.
If it doesn't move in unlock replace it. It may be weak so try and determine if it pulls or pushes with equal force.
Using a Digital Multimeter, the actuator current draw (stall test) should not exceed 6.2 amps. Reverse the power and ground leads to the connector and repeat test.

If ok try these tests.

See my partially recovered Bronco web site ...Will need to clean up dead links & add many more new links some day. Thanks to Mr. Schwim!
THANKS to ALL WHO SERVE!
post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old 03-19-2017, 10:08 AM
Fullsize Member

Bronco Info: 1988 5.0L E/B AOD, bone stock+ 1993 5.8L E/B, E4OD, 4"lift with 33's
Besides meisk5's suggestions. Spray some lock lubricant into your door locks. I have to do that on my 88 because the dust cover on the key slot is broken. Dust gets into the works and things get stiff to where the key won't unlock the door...

post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old 03-19-2017, 10:57 AM

Garage
Had a similar problem, the actuators have rubber boots over them to protect them from the elements, and over time they rip apart. Then they let water and grime in. That usually kills them. When you reinstall them, make sure you clean all the lock mechanisms and lubricate them. In the mean time, can you crawl out the back window??

Sent from my SM-G928V using Tapatalk

1990 Bronco Eddie Bauer 5.0L, AOD

1959 Ford Ranch Wagon with a 460/C6
Lowered 3 inches, Mexican blanket interior, and just the right amount of patina.
post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old 03-19-2017, 06:24 PM Thread Starter

ok, i got the door open which is step one. Going to a junkyard to pick up a new interior handle tomorrow and going to open up the door and test the system after that. thanks
post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old 03-19-2017, 09:33 PM

Bronco Info: 1987 Bronco 302/NP435
Garage
They sell the door handles at parts stores, I would probably just buy a new one, it's not worth the time/hassle to get a 30 year old plastic piece when you can buy a new one at the parts stores

If the lock actuator is what is getting stuck, you can just disconnect it until you can get a new one. Then you would just have manual locks though until you replaced it. But as suggested, the key mechanism might be stuck too. Have you tried opening it with the key when it gets stuck?
post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old 03-20-2017, 12:24 PM

Bronco Info: 1996 Eddie Bauer 351 e4od stock auto hubs
Quote:
Originally Posted by sharpshooter109 View Post
They sell the door handles at parts stores, I would probably just buy a new one, it's not worth the time/hassle to get a 30 year old plastic piece when you can buy a new one at the parts stores
Not to mention that if its a '96 or something compatible they are less than $10.

little to no mechanical knowledge but i can follow directions.

Ford Bronco Forum > Bronco Discussions > Noobie Bronco Tech Questions. Flame free zone!

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Bronco Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself. DO NOT USE Gmail.com accounts. If you only have a Gmail.com email please contact the administrator here

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode