89 EB 302 won't run. HELP - Ford Bronco Forum
 2Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 24 (permalink) Old 03-19-2017, 09:43 AM Thread Starter

89 EB 302 won't run. HELP

I have an 89 EB with a 302 auto transmission. It was sitting up for a couple years before I got it. First thing I noticed was a leak in the rusted fuel tank changed that. It will start if I cycle thru the fuel pump priming a couple times. Runs pretty terrible will rev up some but eventually dies. The only codes I could pull (koeo) were 23 & 53. I checked the tps with an ohm meter
Was getting nothing so I replaced it. I also got a salvage EEC (???) which made little to no difference. Any help would be greatly appreciated.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 24 (permalink) Old 03-19-2017, 10:52 AM

Garage
Have you checked your IAC yet? There's lots of info on that here. There's a bunch of things that could be bad but that's a good thing to check. (Common failure). If that checks out to be good, I would check your fuel pressure at the fuel rail. You could possibly have something simple go bad, like a fuel filter. If you get it running long enough you can also check your injectors using a cheap mechanics stethoscope(I got mine from Harbor freight for about 4 bucks). Or you could use a length of rubber hose. Put one end up to the injector while running and one up to your ear, you should hear a ticking noise from every one. If not, it could be clogged or shot.
Hope this helps diagnose something!! Make sure you keep us up on date on your progress!

Sent from my SM-G928V using Tapatalk

1990 Bronco Eddie Bauer 5.0L, AOD

1959 Ford Ranch Wagon with a 460/C6
Lowered 3 inches, Mexican blanket interior, and just the right amount of patina.
post #3 of 24 (permalink) Old 03-19-2017, 11:37 AM

Bronco Info: 96 Bronco XL 5.0 E4OD, Man Xfer/Hubs
Garage
Yo Tinki,
Welcome!
As 59 advised on the Idle Air Control ( IAC) aka Idle Air Bypass (IAB), etc
IAC Overview, Cleaning & Testingby Ryan M @ Fuel Injection Technical Library Idle Air Bypass (IAB)

http://www.fullsizebronco.com/forum/...t-your-iac.htm with tests lby Seattle FSB (testing is more electrically oriented than above article)

DTC 23 Throttle Position (TP) Circuit Performance Problem.
DTC 53 KOEO TPS circuit above maximum 4.5 volts.; OR KOER TPS circuit has intermittently failed above maximum 4.5 volts.
http://www.fullsizebronco.com/forum/...anagement.html by Seattle FSB
ALSO;
Disconnect TPS sensor vehicle harness connector. Inspect for damaged pins, corrosion, loose wires, etc. Service as necessary.
Suggest strongly to use Ford Motorcraft sensors, such as the TPS & IAC (IF NEEDED)

See my partially recovered Bronco web site ...Will need to clean up dead links & add many more new links some day. Thanks to Mr. Schwim!
THANKS to ALL WHO SERVE!

post #4 of 24 (permalink) Old 03-19-2017, 12:18 PM
They call me "MR FLAT TIRE"

Bronco Info: 90 7.3IDI/ZF5/tons. 66 5.0/AOD. 90beater SAS/5.8/e4od
I would second checking fuel pressure at the rail. Both running and engine off.

Sitting is usually not great for these....with lovely ethanol fuel these days.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 90Beater View Post
2 spares?? Are you sure thats gonna be enough????
Proud to be politically incorrect.
66 EB 5.0-AOD; 90 Locopny 7.3IDI-ZF 5-D60-10.25; 90Beater(2.0)5.8L-E4OD-SAS-14B; 95 Happy2 F150-4.9L-M5OD; F250SD 7.3-Auto CCLB
post #5 of 24 (permalink) Old 03-19-2017, 04:23 PM Thread Starter

Thanks for the quick response guys. Ok so I checked the IAC looks great on the inside. I got 9.5 ohms and 12 v going to it. The Tps however has 5.1 going to it. From what Miesk5 posted I think that is too much. Is that correct.

Also not sure the best way to check the pressure in the fuel rail. It has pressure but not sure what I need to check it. For some reason I'm guessing a tire pressure gauge isn't going to end well. Thanks again
post #6 of 24 (permalink) Old 03-19-2017, 04:51 PM

Bronco Info: '96 Black 302 XLT - '94 Green 351 E. B. both are E4OD, 3.55 axles, 31 10.50x15
On the fuel rail, about the #5 cylinder is a schrader valve. Either buy (~$25) or rent a fuel pressure gauge from most auto parts stores. Then you'll know what your fuel pressure is. There are NO codes for fuel pressure being too low.

Once you get a gauge, check the pressure with the engine idling (write down the number), rev the engine and see if the pressure increases. Then take the vacuum line off the Fuel Pressure Regulator with the engine idling, and see what the fuel pressure does.
With the KOEO (if you can't get it to start), bleed off all the pressure (there is a button and a small hose on the pressure gauge to relieve the pressure), then turn on the key, write down the pressure number.

Come back and tell us the numbers.

"The simplest solution is usually the best solution" - Occam's Razor

"The significant problems we face cannot be solved at the same level of thinking we were at when we created them." - Albert Einstein
post #7 of 24 (permalink) Old 03-19-2017, 05:51 PM Thread Starter

It won't idle much but I will see what I can do. Thank you.

Also on a side not I did change the fuel filter.
post #8 of 24 (permalink) Old 03-19-2017, 06:45 PM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tinki View Post
... The Tps however has 5.1 going to it. From what Miesk5 posted I think that is too much. Is that correct.
Yo,

KOEO TPS Voltage Reference (VREF)is EEC supplied voltage of 5 volts) that is good because your meter may not be accurate . VREF is Orange/White wire in your 89.

As Mike advised... Part 1 -How to Test the Fuel Pump (Ford 4.9L, 5.0L, 5.8L)

See my partially recovered Bronco web site ...Will need to clean up dead links & add many more new links some day. Thanks to Mr. Schwim!
THANKS to ALL WHO SERVE!
post #9 of 24 (permalink) Old 03-19-2017, 09:47 PM

Bronco Info: 1989 Eddier Bauer 5.8
Garage
Obviously address any trouble codes...But

My first question is what kind of fuel is getting to the engine?

You said you "fixed that". Do you mean you replaced the tank AND filled it with fresh fuel?

Old, stagnant water filled fuel will make the engine run like the drizzling $hits.

Also fuel related, sitting for long periods of time can be REALLY bad for injectors.

I would want to see good fresh fuel (along with a new filter), good fuel pressure, then good fuel VOLUME.
Next test for injector pulse. Then check individual injectors.

After fuel is all checked off the list, we can move to something else if needed...

"Oh man, lodged where??"
post #10 of 24 (permalink) Old 03-19-2017, 10:24 PM Thread Starter

Yes new tank, New fuel (ethanol free), New filter, new screen. Cleaned the sending unit up and put it back in.

So I checked the fuel pressure I'm only getting 10-12 psi goes up to maybe 15 when I crank it. Not what it should be. So the inline pump is coming on but not 100% sure the one in the fuel tank is. Sounds like it when I put my ear to the tank. But may be coming from the other through the fuel line.
post #11 of 24 (permalink) Old 03-19-2017, 10:47 PM

Garage
Another thing worth checking is the fuel pressure regulator. It's located on the fuel rail on the driver side close to the firewall.

Looks like this. Pull the vacuum line off the top and see if the line smells like fuel. If it does it is bad.

Sent from my SM-G928V using Tapatalk

1990 Bronco Eddie Bauer 5.0L, AOD

1959 Ford Ranch Wagon with a 460/C6
Lowered 3 inches, Mexican blanket interior, and just the right amount of patina.
post #12 of 24 (permalink) Old 03-19-2017, 10:55 PM
They call me "MR FLAT TIRE"

Bronco Info: 90 7.3IDI/ZF5/tons. 66 5.0/AOD. 90beater SAS/5.8/e4od
Can you check what the pressure would be if you momentarily pinched the fuel line down stream of the Fuel Pressure Regulator? (Tank side) It will have a vacuum line going to it and should be located toward the back of the motor as I remember it.

note what it does more so than actual #. increases lots? no change?

If you pull the vacuum line off of it, there should not be any fuel present. Replace it if there is.
sharpshooter109 likes this.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 90Beater View Post
2 spares?? Are you sure thats gonna be enough????
Proud to be politically incorrect.
66 EB 5.0-AOD; 90 Locopny 7.3IDI-ZF 5-D60-10.25; 90Beater(2.0)5.8L-E4OD-SAS-14B; 95 Happy2 F150-4.9L-M5OD; F250SD 7.3-Auto CCLB
post #13 of 24 (permalink) Old 03-20-2017, 06:48 AM Thread Starter

The regulator looks fine. No gas present on the vaccum side.

I will try pinching the line like you asked when I have a helper.

Also could it be a bad sending pump? Or if it's getting any fuel dose that mean it's ok?

I put five gallons in the tank should that be sufficient?

Thanks again for all the help
post #14 of 24 (permalink) Old 03-20-2017, 10:04 AM

Garage
Yo T,
Does your 89 still have the single-accumulator (aka reservoir) in it? Some owners or shops have pulled it and replaced with fuel lines and external filter.

pic by 13 bronco in his 89 Bronco...

New pic by amazon
Overview: "...Dual fuel pump systems must have a fuel accumulator between them. Fuel accumulators store fuel from the low pressure pump for the high-pressure pump. Storing fuel is a great idea for rock crawlers, as the accumulator holds a reserve of fuel, just in case gravity temporarily affects the gas tank. Accumulators also equalize fuel flow between the pumps. If one pump is pushing over 75GPH and the other is only flowing 50GPH, something has to give. Once the accumulator is full, excess fuel flows out to the return fuel line, and back to the tank. This keeps the low-pressure pump from stressing the high-pressure pump..."
Source: by Ryan M (Fireguy50) at FSB
Test in 88-89: "...Only moving part is the tank-side inlet check valve. The return ports flow freely and are not connected to the reservoir. The engine-side supply port is open to the reservoir. To test it, unplug the frame fuel pump, disconnect the engine-side supply (large) line, and cycle the key. If fuel flows out of the reservoir nipple, the reservoir is working normally. If not, disconnect the tank-side supply (large) line, and cycle the key. If fuel flows out of the line, the reservoir check valve is probably stuck, or its internal filter is clogged. A reservoir marked "DO NOT REMOVE CUP" does not contain a filter. For a replacement O-ring for the cup, buy a NAPA 3268 (or equivalent) filter..." Source: by Ryan M (Fireguy50)

For posterity, Single-Function Reservoir Overview, Location & O Ring Installation in an 86; "Mine is under the T-Case skid plate on the drivers frame rail, it's black plastic with a screw style thread top & bottom which uses an O ring and a hockey puck style filter with a hole on one side, hole side goes up to the nipple inside the cap, both about $9.00 at any autochain. The "O" ring doesn't want to cooperate when putting it in place so use something tacky to keep it in place when you go to thread it back on otherwise you'll squish it and it will piss gas all over, also the bottom part needs to be threaded all the up without any gap at the top also will piss gas if incorrect. used a small model paint brush almost DRY with Permatex for the inside "O" ring track just to get it to set up to keep the "O" ring in place when screwing it back together and it worked fine, the amount of Permatex was insignificant with no potenial to impead anything, but use what ever you like. IIRC the Reservoir was designed to keep the fuel pumps supplied from starving when the vehicle is at different positions, cornering, off road driving etc..."
Source: by JKossarides ("The Bronco", Jean ) at FSB

Single-Function Reservoir Disassembly in an 86; "...I found that the only tool I could get to unscrew that damn canister was a rubber lined adjustable oil filter wrench. It was a cheapy wrench that I got at like Kmarts or something. It worked great for this job. Now for the o-ring, lube it in some vaseline an it should stay in place a lot easier. When mine went bad on my old 86, I was getting a lot of hestations, backfires from my lean mixtures. Even had the cops called on me for shooting a gun out the window in a neighborhood..."
Source: by sackman9975 (Scott) at FSB

Single-Function Reservoir Overview; "...Dual fuel pump systems must have a fuel accumulator between them. The model from BC Broncos is a multi-tasking wonder. Fuel accumulators store fuel from the low-pressure pump for the high-pressure pump. Storing fuel is a great idea for rock crawlers, as the accumulator holds a reserve of fuel, just in case gravity temporarily affects the gas tank. Accumulators also equalize fuel flow between the pumps. If one pump is pushing 72GPH and the other is only flowing 50GPH, something has to give. Once the accumulator is full, excess fuel flows out to the return fuel line, and back to the tank. This keeps the low-pressure pump from stressing the high-pressure pump. Normal accumulators stop there, but not the model from BC Broncos. They built one starting with a fuel filter. You get the accumulator and the filter all in one $70 package..."
Source: by Ryan M (Fireguy50 at former fordfuelinjection. But retrieved;
See Inject Your Horsepower (formerly Inject Your Horse) , section 3.

THANKS to ALL WHO SERVE!
post #15 of 24 (permalink) Old 03-20-2017, 10:38 AM Thread Starter

No change in fuel pressure when I pinched the line on the regulator.

Yes I believe I still have the accumulator. Here's a pic of what I found. I will pic up a filter and change that.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2955_1490020675346.JPG
Views:	14
Size:	15.0 KB
ID:	98842  
post #16 of 24 (permalink) Old 03-20-2017, 10:54 AM

Garage
Yo T,
That is the accumulator.
Buy the O ring too.
See if you perform the test, much better to be safe than sorry. Have a helper with fire extinguishers on-hand, googles, face mask, etc. MUST BE DONE ON A COLD ENGINE. GL!

THANKS to ALL WHO SERVE!
post #17 of 24 (permalink) Old 03-20-2017, 11:27 AM Thread Starter

Is there any way to tell if this accumulator is muti function (has a filter) or not, before taking it apart ?
post #18 of 24 (permalink) Old 03-20-2017, 11:28 AM Thread Starter

It does have a separate fuel filter between the high pressure pump and the fuel rail.
post #19 of 24 (permalink) Old 03-20-2017, 12:18 PM

Garage
Yo,
A reservoir marked "DO NOT REMOVE CUP" does not contain a filter. For a replacement O-ring for the cup, buy a NAPA 3268 (or equivalent) filter..." Source: by Ryan M (Fireguy50)

THANKS to ALL WHO SERVE!
post #20 of 24 (permalink) Old 03-20-2017, 08:38 PM Thread Starter

Got the accumulator off. Had to cut it off with a grinder. No filter but it looks like the in tank pump is the problem. No fuel when the key is turned. I'm going to drop the tank and make sure it's the pump not the wiring.

Ford Bronco Forum > Bronco Discussions > Noobie Bronco Tech Questions. Flame free zone!

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Bronco Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself. DO NOT USE Gmail.com accounts. If you only have a Gmail.com email please contact the administrator here

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode