Proper category for 3G in a 79? - Ford Bronco Forum
 5Likes
  • 2 Post By Spktyr
  • 1 Post By miesk5
  • 2 Post By the Son

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old 03-19-2017, 11:45 PM Thread Starter

Bronco Info: 78 351/NP435, lifted 4", 33s. 79 in progress, built 400, low gear C6, lots more to come.
Proper category for 3G in a 79?

Just wondering the best and right forum for the information of my 3G alternator installation for my 79. Noobie, 78-79, or Tech?

It's detailed with which model 3G is best (for the 78-79), the materials I used, and how it all ties straight into stock 78-79 harness connecting points.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old 03-20-2017, 05:09 AM

Bronco Info: 1989 Bronco 5.0 AOD w/ 3G alt, more to come
The Write-Up forum? Technical Write Ups - Ford Bronco Forum
locopny and the Son like this.
post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old 03-20-2017, 09:21 AM Thread Starter

Bronco Info: 78 351/NP435, lifted 4", 33s. 79 in progress, built 400, low gear C6, lots more to come.
I guess I should have read here in the Tech write-up forum description:
(Mods, feel free to correct the Tech write-up description's spelling of "description" over there)

"A technical write up consists of a detailed discription, pictures and information of a particular repair, install or modification."

post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old 03-20-2017, 10:46 AM

Bronco Info: 96 Bronco XL 5.0 E4OD, Man Xfer/Hubs
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by the Son View Post
I guess I should have read here in the Tech write-up forum description:
(Mods, feel free to correct the Tech write-up description's spelling of "description" over there)

"A technical write up consists of a detailed discription, pictures and information of a particular repair, install or modification."
Yo T,
Will do if I can find it.
I searched through all of your posts here, but found none on the 3g title. So I am guessing that you are in process of writing it, but didn't get it posted yet.

See my partially recovered Bronco web site ...Will need to clean up dead links & add many more new links some day. Thanks to Mr. Schwim!
THANKS to ALL WHO SERVE!
post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old 03-20-2017, 10:58 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by miesk5 View Post
Yo T,
Will do if I can find it.
I searched through all of your posts here, but found none on the 3g title. So I am guessing that you are in process of writing it, but didn't get it posted yet.
Yes. In progress. I just wanted to put it in the right place when I finish. I'm typing outside of here so I can edit, copy, and paste to post it.

What I was talking about correcting is the description of the Technical Write Ups forum. Just a hint of OCD on my part.
post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old 03-20-2017, 11:14 AM

Bronco Info: 96 Bronco XL 5.0 E4OD, Man Xfer/Hubs
Garage
Yo T,
Ok, no problemo. Will change title.
Good idea on cooying before hitting the reply icon because I have spent hours entering a post, smacking the reply or enter only to get an error message, thereby losing all my hunt & peck narrative.
79BroncoSpringTx likes this.

See my partially recovered Bronco web site ...Will need to clean up dead links & add many more new links some day. Thanks to Mr. Schwim!
THANKS to ALL WHO SERVE!
post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old 03-20-2017, 11:35 AM
FSM Lifetime

Bronco Info: 1978 Round headlight, 351M,C6, 9", 44/1991, 445 FE, t19, 205, Dana 60/70, MAF, Moet's
Garage
Depending on the amperage of your alternator sme things gotta be move around and the main alternator lead needs upgrading. I upped the cable to 1/0 for the charging lead, moved the battery + lead by the solenoid for charging and gauge and moved the alternator + lead to the output terminal for the regulator and charge/discharge gauge. Also added a breaker mounted next to the voltage regulator, I used M class oil resistant cable and used copper HD tin plated copper lugs I soldered in place. For 3G being internal regulated some stuff will need to be removed like regulator field, stator and regulator. If it were me I would get an external adjustable regulator and 2G big case as it has better cooling, and it goes 110 amp at idle and 215 at full RPM. I bolted mine in yesterday, fits nice and I can juice the voltage from 13-18 volts cut out. Also if the regulator takes a crap it is much cheaper and easier to service.
post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old 03-20-2017, 12:17 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by 445 FE Bronco View Post
Depending on the amperage of your alternator sme things gotta be move around and the main alternator lead needs upgrading. I upped the cable to 1/0 for the charging lead, moved the battery + lead by the solenoid for charging and gauge and moved the alternator + lead to the output terminal for the regulator and charge/discharge gauge. Also added a breaker mounted next to the voltage regulator, I used M class oil resistant cable and used copper HD tin plated copper lugs I soldered in place. For 3G being internal regulated some stuff will need to be removed like regulator field, stator and regulator. If it were me I would get an external adjustable regulator and 2G big case as it has better cooling, and it goes 110 amp at idle and 215 at full RPM. I bolted mine in yesterday, fits nice and I can juice the voltage from 13-18 volts cut out. Also if the regulator takes a crap it is much cheaper and easier to service.
Thanks. Yes, I have it all sorted and worked out. My only "noobie" part of this thread was which forum to put my post in because I didn't read the description of the Technical Write Ups. I just have to finish composing my Tech Write-up and then I'll post all about it.
I'm working on it with pictures and everything. It'll be in the Technical Write Up forum in a few days.

Ford Bronco Forum > Bronco Discussions > Noobie Bronco Tech Questions. Flame free zone!

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Bronco Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself. DO NOT USE Gmail.com accounts. If you only have a Gmail.com email please contact the administrator here

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode